2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Complete set change

I'm new to this site and I'm looking for some help. Im a five handicap and have been for 2 years, I know that I have all the tools to become scratch I work hard on my game for hours every week. I've never had a lesson and or instructor I know there is a huge difference in the two. I also never had a custom club fitting I've been told many times that I'm a size that is perfect for right of the shelf stuff, I have my lies checked and it seems perfect I grip down about 1/2 inch on everything its comfort. I seem to have above average distance but the players I play with are a little older then I and question there observations. I play blades and "tour style" woods 905s is my current driver and CG 1 irons. I want to explore a completely new set up im thinking ping all the way s57 irons and i15 woods and a redwood piper s putter never had a face balanced putter. I think a complete change is in order to take my game to the next level any suggestions on this matter will help greatly.

Jamie

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand where your coming from because I am working hard to get down to scratch as well, I think you have to use new technology to your advantage, shallow cavity back irons can work the ball as much as blades in most cases now and off the tee I prefer using a driver that is more about forgiveness than tour workability. Try using equipment to your advantage, let your game do the talking rather than the gear you use.

Hope your handicap drops with your new gamers :D

I suggest you get fit by a professional, get the right lie, length, and shaft. Usually when you get to a low handicap it gets difficult to shave strokes. The areas in the game that make the big difference to shave those last few strokes are chipping and putting.

Also, often overlooked is game management; not hitting the driver every hole. leaving approach shots to your strongest club, in other words course management.

Study your stats; keep track of fairways hit, chips distance from hole, putts made. Find your go too club (for me it is an 8 iron), that is where you need to hit your approach from.

Since you are playing blades but want a little more forgiveness the Pings would be a good choice. I just picked up a set of Nike forged split cavity backs, really nice clubs IMO.

Good luck.

What makes you think a complete change of clubs will take you to the much vaunted 'next level'? By your own admission, never having had a lesson or instruction could be the answer to your problem. I don't doubt for one minute that your work ethic towards your golfing ambitions is good, but without the guidance or at least advice from a teaching professional, you could be denying yourself a leg up to better golf.
In my experience, a complete change of clubs only satisfies the mental urge to own the latest and greatest gear to remove any doubt of 'inferior equipment'. In reality, a different club when built or adjusted to your liking, only serves to give more of the same in terms of what your knowledge or body can produce. Let's be honest, a new club for a guy at your level is not going to suddenly deliver a tremendous increase in yards or accuracy and perhaps that is what is really holding you back. You may see a lot of pros on TV switch equipment and sing the praises of it, but that's just because they are paid to by the brand they represent.
Explore all the avenues you want by all means, but in my experience once you find a set that you are comfortable with (your current set?), then stick with it. I'm still pretty comfortable with a set that, in one form or another, have been in my bag for the last 10 years or so. I know that there is no club out there can make me a better golfer than I can be bothered to be. It's only the time and work (that I don't have) that stops me from lowering my handicap. Honestly. But I'm happy with how I am.
The only thing that possibly could be an exception is of course, is the putter. There is no hard and fast rule to explain people's putting form and a radical change in stroke or putter style can sometimes come up with great results. The short game must never be underestimated - it's the difference between good golf and mediocre golf.
Sorry if I can't offer you any advice on what set to buy, but differnt clubs work in differnt ways for different folks. Clubs don't make the 'next level'. You do. Just my 2 cents.

Happy Thanksgiving BTW!

I absolulty know that changing my set up will not get me to the "next Level" alone. I guess that my questions are the forgiveness factors im looking for I do have specific yardages that I play to, and if there is a practice session that goes by without at least half hour on hundred yards and in and a half hour at the chipping/putting green it is not a real session. People do find comfort in set ups and but I'm more interested in the forgiveness and fitting for a extra little boost. So what im asking is it worth it to explore the fitting avenue?

I agree, get fit by a good pro. I'm a short guy (5'5) and when I got my last set the fitting was free with the purchase. I ended up needing my irons shortened 1/2 inch. I knew I would lose 3-5 yards but it was worth it. The clubs feel much more comfortable in my hands.

I also agree with mikerogers, when it comes to drivers, I rarely look at tour workability. If you like Ping, I just picked up a G15 and I love it. It is one of the best feelings Ive ever had with a driver and I change drivers constantly. It has a factory shaft on it and still feels great. Bottom line, like everyone has said, get fitted. New clubs may or may not launch to scratch golf, but it may give you that mental edge to help get there. Hope this helps.

MB