2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Are "staff" bags too pretentious for Amateurs?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Staff bags are not meant for carrying, they're for riding a cart. For riding there is no question staff bags are the best choice. They have hard sides for protection , and a big top opening so the clubs slide in and out with no wear and tear to the grips or shafts. For cart riding there is no comparison between a carry bag and staff bag, the staff bag wins by a mile.
That said ,a person's name does not belong on any kind of bag, unless they have earned it by qualifying for a major Tour.

[quote name='tjy355' post='2098115' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:27 PM'][quote name='bphgolfman' post='2096463' date='Dec 1 2009, 06:21 PM']... So like the topic reads...too pretentious or just an upgrade?[/quote]

I won't comment on the pretension, but I don't see how using a large/heavy bag that makes it difficult to walk and carry can be considered an "upgrade."
[/quote]

Funny story here about a staff bag. This guy last week sets up next to me on the range with a brand new big black Bridgestone bag. He hit about 3 balls it falls down..clang...clang. Stands it back up hit about 6 more balls falls down. Stands it back up 6 more shots later guess what falls down. I look at him and he says I thought these bags where made to stand up on thier on. I looked him in the eye and said......the issue you have is that usually a caddy will keep it up right for the pro...where is your caddy at. He looked at me took is bag and moved down to other end of the range.

There was a DB last weekend at my home course. I saw him on the range w/ a Titleist staff bag...Name embroidered and all. He was dressed in nothing but Titleist gear too. He was in the group ahead of me...walking with his tiny wife walking behind him lugging the bag....she couldn't keep up. He would grind over every shot.

My group caught up to his on the 2nd tee. I asked one of my buddies he was paired up with if he had the game for it...said I don't know, hadn't seen him hit yet. Hit hit a duck hook into the woods ... his little wife (caddy) and all chsing off to find his ball.

My point, the guy had no game and looked like a complete tool.

I've always wanted one, and rarely care what others think, but they are a little silly unitl you make it through Q school.

OK, here's my $.02.

I wouldn't use a full size staff bag, because they are too big and bulky. However, some companies make a smaller version of the staff bag that fits well on a cart. I have one of those, and it has my name on it. For me, it's about my mental game. I have played for 7 1/2 years. I picked up the game at 40. I love golf and have worked hard at it. Last year when my index got to 3.1 I bought the bag. I have a goal to get to a plus handicap. As most really good golfers know, going low and performing in tournaments is as much about the mental game as anything else. I didn't really play in tournaments until I was a single digit handicap. My first few tournaments were a disaster. I didn't know how to handle the nerves. Now I do. There are quite a few guys at my club with lower handicaps and better games, especially the young big guys that can hit it a mile, but I beat all but 2 of them in the Club Championship because I actually now play better when I'm under pressure than when there's no pressure.

My bag with my name is all part of MY game. I too think you need a good game to back it up. I have a good game. I want it to be better. My bag, my clothes tell me that when I step up to the first tee, I better perform. Some people may think I'm a tool, but I don't care. Most don't, but they do expect me to be a good player because of it. Occasionally, when I play with someone new, they'll say something about my bag along the lines of "You must be good?" My verbal reply will be something like "I do alright." But on the inside I'm saying, "I am, you just stand back and watch me." I think to perform well under pressure you have to be cocky even if, which is best, you don't show it on the outside.

I say go for whatever you're comfortable with. Do what's right for you and your game. It's not a team sport where you'd be a tool for wearing gold shoes while the rest of the team wears black. You're not showing up anyone. It's an individual sport and you can do it anyway you choose. Just stay within the etiquette rules of golf and you'll be respected.

[quote name='s59ping' post='2098163' date='Dec 2 2009, 12:42 PM']Funny story here about a staff bag. This guy last week sets up next to me on the range with a brand new big black Bridgestone bag. He hit about 3 balls it falls down..clang...clang. Stands it back up hit about 6 more balls falls down. Stands it back up 6 more shots later guess what falls down. I look at him and he says I thought these bags where made to stand up on thier on. I looked him in the eye and said......the issue you have is that usually a caddy will keep it up right for the pro...where is your caddy at. He looked at me took is bag and moved down to other end of the range.[/quote]

you really told him..... bet you felt better after he left

[quote name='BENCHMADE' post='2098235' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:08 PM']I have one. Bought it for $60 on sale. I just started late this fall. I've only played 4 rounds. Does this Tenn conuntry boy cares what people think? Nope![/quote]

man thats a great buy.... id buy one for $60 also......now you should get out more and use the thing.....

[quote name='NormG' post='2098249' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:12 PM']There was a DB last weekend at my home course. I saw him on the range w/ a Titleist staff bag...Name embroidered and all. He was dressed in nothing but Titleist gear too. He was in the group ahead of me...walking with his tiny wife walking behind him lugging the bag....she couldn't keep up. He would grind over every shot.

My group caught up to his on the 2nd tee. I asked one of my buddies he was paired up with if he had the game for it...said I don't know, hadn't seen him hit yet. Hit hit a duck hook into the woods ... his little wife (caddy) and all chsing off to find his ball.

My point, the guy had no game and looked like a complete tool.

I've always wanted one, and rarely care what others think, [color="#FF0000"]but they are a little silly unitl you make it through Q school.[/color][/quote]

I did not get that memo.....

This thread has some of the funniest comments next to the TW Chapter 2 thread. LOL!!

You don't need approval from anyone to use a staffbag or have your name on it or wear a pink shirt or drive a logo car or wear FJ classics or wear a white belt or play top 10 songs on your iPod or wear jeans on the course or surf BSG.

Just Do It... -TW

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='s59ping' post='2098163' date='Dec 2 2009, 12:42 PM']Funny story here about a staff bag. This guy last week sets up next to me on the range with a brand new big black Bridgestone bag. He hit about 3 balls it falls down..clang...clang. Stands it back up hit about 6 more balls falls down. Stands it back up 6 more shots later guess what falls down. I look at him and he says I thought these bags where made to stand up on thier on. I looked him in the eye and said......the issue you have is that usually a caddy will keep it up right for the pro...where is your caddy at. He looked at me took is bag and moved down to other end of the range.[/quote]

Wow, what a guy. I'll bet playing golf with you is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Why would you say that to someone? I've found it's a whole lot easier to go through life being pleasant to people rather than just being a gratuitous jerk, but that's just me.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I say that if you like it, rock it. I say it's def an upgrade having used all types of bags - cart, stand, and staff. Anyone who really cares about whether or not you "earned" your bag can go f*** themselves.

It sounds like envy to me, or, someone who isn't real confident in their own game and their own equipment. I've seen guys on the course who look homeless and shoot under par, and others who look like they just walked off a damn TaylorMade commercial who couldn't hit a ball over 50 yards if their life depended on it.

PING G430 10k 9* Project X HZRDUS Hulk
PING G425 14.5* Tensei Orange 
PING G425 17* Tensei Orange
Titleist TSR Hybrids HZRDUS Silver 
PING i210 Irons Project X LZ
Edel Wedges S400 / TaylorMade MyMG4 Wedges S400
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Robert Mark Headcovers
Jordan Golf Shoes
PING Hoofer

[quote name='GARCIA STR8' post='2098337' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:44 PM']I say that if you like it, rock it. I say it's def an upgrade having used all types of bags - cart, stand, and staff. Anyone who really cares about whether or not you "earned" your bag can go f*** themselves.

It sounds like envy to me, or, someone who isn't real confident in their own game and their own equipment. I've seen guys on the course who look homeless and shoot under par, and others who look like they just walked off a damn TaylorMade commercial who couldn't hit a ball over 50 yards if their life depended on it.[/quote]

personally, I think you sugar coat things too much!!!!

its like listening to somebody talk about the cars in the parking lot.... why is it always the guy who tells you that the Benz, Bentley, or Aston's are junk cars.....that he is always the guy who goes and gets in the Hugo when he leaves.....

[quote name='s59ping' post='2098163' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:42 PM']Funny story here about a staff bag. This guy last week sets up next to me on the range with a brand new big black Bridgestone bag. He hit about 3 balls it falls down..clang...clang. Stands it back up hit about 6 more balls falls down. Stands it back up 6 more shots later guess what falls down. I look at him and he says I thought these bags where made to stand up on thier on. I looked him in the eye and said......the issue you have is that usually a caddy will keep it up right for the pro..[u][b].where is your caddy at[/b][/u]. He looked at me took is bag and moved down to other end of the range.[/quote]
Don't end a sentence with a preposition. It's bad grammar. :drinks:

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

I don't think they're too pretentious. If they are, then where do you stop? Blades, Whiteboard shafts, Cameron putters, white belts and trousers? Not to mention the ubiquitous logoed hat with the name of your choice of clubs on it. But is a large bag with the capacity to store all your gear and the abilty to arrange your clubs tangle-free in an orderly manner prententious? No.

[quote name='mrhills0146' post='2098327' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:41 PM'][quote name='s59ping' post='2098163' date='Dec 2 2009, 12:42 PM']Funny story here about a staff bag. This guy last week sets up next to me on the range with a brand new big black Bridgestone bag. He hit about 3 balls it falls down..clang...clang. Stands it back up hit about 6 more balls falls down. Stands it back up 6 more shots later guess what falls down. I look at him and he says I thought these bags where made to stand up on thier on. I looked him in the eye and said......the issue you have is that usually a caddy will keep it up right for the pro...where is your caddy at. He looked at me took is bag and moved down to other end of the range.[/quote]

Wow, what a guy. I'll bet playing golf with you is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Why would you say that to someone? I've found it's a whole lot easier to go through life being pleasant to people rather than just being a gratuitous jerk, but that's just me.
[/quote]

Here is the rest of the story....The range was setup that day with about 25 stations. I am on the end to the right and nobody else out there. Then this guys shows up and sets up right behind me. He hits total of 15 shots and talks to himself after every one of them. Like he giving himself a lesson. He also had a cigar going that laying on the ground.

Now who is freaking jerk me or him?

[quote name='finalist' post='2098363' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:51 PM'][quote name='s59ping' post='2098163' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:42 PM']Funny story here about a staff bag. This guy last week sets up next to me on the range with a brand new big black Bridgestone bag. He hit about 3 balls it falls down..clang...clang. Stands it back up hit about 6 more balls falls down. Stands it back up 6 more shots later guess what falls down. I look at him and he says I thought these bags where made to stand up on thier on. I looked him in the eye and said......the issue you have is that usually a caddy will keep it up right for the pro..[u][b].where is your caddy at[/b][/u]. He looked at me took is bag and moved down to other end of the range.[/quote]
Don't end a sentence with a preposition [color="#FF0000"]H[/color] It's bad grammar. :drinks:
[/quote]

there I helped ya out;)

[quote name='s59ping' post='2098375' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:56 PM'][quote name='mrhills0146' post='2098327' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:41 PM'][quote name='s59ping' post='2098163' date='Dec 2 2009, 12:42 PM']Funny story here about a staff bag. This guy last week sets up next to me on the range with a brand new big black Bridgestone bag. He hit about 3 balls it falls down..clang...clang. Stands it back up hit about 6 more balls falls down. Stands it back up 6 more shots later guess what falls down. I look at him and he says I thought these bags where made to stand up on thier on. I looked him in the eye and said......the issue you have is that usually a caddy will keep it up right for the pro...where is your caddy at. He looked at me took is bag and moved down to other end of the range.[/quote]

[/quote]

Here is the rest of the story....The range was setup that day with about 25 stations. I am on the end to the right and nobody else out there. Then this guys shows up and sets up right behind me. He hits total of 15 shots and talks to himself after every one of them. Like he giving himself a lesson. He also had a cigar going that laying on the ground.

Now who is freaking jerk me or him?
[/quote]

my man..... have you ever heard the expression..... just quit while your ahead.....

God loves a working man

Must be a US thing.Seen this discussion a few times on US based websites,but never on a UK one.......

Ive done the Tour bag thing,as have many UK golfers: (Mainly so that we can carry all the required clothing needed for a game of golf in the 'potential' UK weather).Currently ive been solely carrying for 3 (?) years.But no doubt i'll have a spell with a Tour bag again in the future.

Personally lifes too short for me to worry about what everyone else thinks - i got enough problems looking after me !

Shun the haters and enjoy.Whatever your choice ;)

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2098453' date='Dec 2 2009, 11:29 AM'][quote name='golfwrxnut' post='2098442' date='Dec 2 2009, 02:22 PM']I gained 20 yards after getting mine.

and

It has my name on it too....[/quote]

you blew it man..... you obviously went with the midsize tour bag.....cuz the large TOUR SIZE TOUR BAG.....always gets an extra 40 yards

[/quote]

I went "retail"...
:rolleyes:

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2098150' date='Dec 2 2009, 12:39 PM']Staff bags are not meant for carrying, they're for riding a cart. For riding there is no question staff bags are the best choice. They have hard sides for protection , and a big top opening so the clubs slide in and out with no wear and tear to the grips or shafts. For cart riding there is no comparison between a carry bag and staff bag, the staff bag wins by a mile.
That said ,a person's name does not belong on any kind of bag, unless they have earned it by qualifying for a major Tour.

[quote name='tjy355' post='2098115' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:27 PM'][quote name='bphgolfman' post='2096463' date='Dec 1 2009, 06:21 PM']... So like the topic reads...too pretentious or just an upgrade?[/quote]

I won't comment on the pretension, but I don't see how using a large/heavy bag that makes it difficult to walk and carry can be considered an "upgrade."
[/quote]

[/quote]

I completely disagree. I have seen tons of people with their name on staff bags and carry bags alike. The name has nothing to do with if they play on tour or not. If you want your bag personalized, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having your name on your bag. Again, to each his own, but you cannot set your own ideas that came from god knows where and push them onto others like its the law.

[quote name='demetri17' post='2098481' date='Dec 2 2009, 02:42 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='2098150' date='Dec 2 2009, 12:39 PM']Staff bags are not meant for carrying, they're for riding a cart. For riding there is no question staff bags are the best choice. They have hard sides for protection , and a big top opening so the clubs slide in and out with no wear and tear to the grips or shafts. For cart riding there is no comparison between a carry bag and staff bag, the staff bag wins by a mile.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I completely disagree. I have seen tons of people with their name on staff bags and carry bags alike. The name has nothing to do with if they play on tour or not. If you want your bag personalized, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having your name on your bag. Again, to each his own,[color="#FF0000"] but you cannot set your own ideas that came from god knows where and push them onto others like its the law.[/color]
[/quote]

I do learn something new everyday on this site..... cuz from following a few other threads I thought pushing your ideas onto others was the site motto.... and look out if somebody doesn't agree ;)

[quote name='sevenfourate' post='2098426' date='Dec 2 2009, 02:15 PM']Ive done the Tour bag thing,as have many UK golfers: (Mainly so that we can carry all the required clothing needed for a game of golf in the 'potential' UK weather).[/quote]

When I lived in Ireland I used a TM Burner staff bag (the original brown one, still have it in the basement) for the same reason. When I moved to Bermuda I bought a stand bag, and still prefer them today. Why? It's big enough to carry what I need for the round. That's what a bag is for, just to carry stuff. Everything else is personal preference...

Alan

[quote name='jaskanski' post='2098373' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:55 PM']I don't think they're too pretentious. If they are, then where do you stop? Blades, Whiteboard shafts, Cameron putters, white belts and trousers? Not to mention the ubiquitous logoed hat with the name of your choice of clubs on it. But is a large bag with the capacity to store all your gear and the abilty to arrange your clubs tangle-free in an orderly manner prententious? No.[/quote]

jaskanski sums up the "upgrade" side of the debate the best to me. Turned out to be quite an interesting topic, thanks for the input guys. Also, if I walk, which is all I do at my home course, I use my handy clicgear cart and the hoofer isn't a great fit for the thing, anyways. Plus, if I travel I'm gonna be on a cart. I'm sure as hell not making my dad, as a caddie, carry a staff bag at a qualifier either. Just switch over to the hoofer. I'm thinking that my old hoofer is a "badge of honor" showing how much time I've spent out on the course and practicing. But, the situation is that my game is decent, I golf with mainly old farts that think if I blast it 250 off the tee than it might as well be a mile and I stick to pushcart/carts. Staff bags with names on them aren't a badge of honor as much as they are a fashion statement, IMO. With that said, Hoofers are as fashionable as they get. Sorry if this turned out to be a blue state/red state thing, lol, but it's kinda fun though, right?

Phil actually came out to my course a few weeks ago and he had a little callaway bag. I have been on staff with Callaway for over a year and I have had the 9.5 staff bag. But 99.9% of the time I will take out my warbird stand bag because its lighter to carry and it can hold all my necessary stuff.

Epic Flash Driver 3 wood
Apex Pro 3-PW MD 50 + 56PM Knox putter
Snell, B330, Chrome soft

Not true. Name on the bag is deifinitely an honor which must be earned. You will never, ever , see a top collegiate or aspiring Tour professional ever have his name on his golf bag. In the world of high level golf that is not done.
Name on the bag is for when the player has earned it as a professional.
Along the same lines, most top collegiates and amateurs aspiring to play professionaly will refuse an invitation to play Augusta, unless that invitation is an earned one, from the tournament committee, to play in the Masters.

[quote name='demetri17' post='2098481' date='Dec 2 2009, 03:42 PM']I completely disagree. I have seen tons of people with their name on staff bags and carry bags alike. The name has nothing to do with if they play on tour or not. If you want your bag personalized, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having your name on your bag. Again, to each his own, but you cannot set your own ideas that came from god knows where and push them onto others like its the law.[/quote]

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2098668' date='Dec 2 2009, 03:52 PM']Not true. Name on the bag is deifinitely an honor which must be earned. You will never, ever , see a top collegiate or aspiring Tour professional ever have his name on his golf bag. In the world of high level golf that is not done.
Name on the bag is for when the player has earned it as a professional.
Along the same lines, most top collegiates and amateurs aspiring to play professionaly will refuse an invitation to play Augusta, unless that invitation is an earned one, from the tournament committee, to play in the Masters.

[quote name='demetri17' post='2098481' date='Dec 2 2009, 03:42 PM']I completely disagree. I have seen tons of people with their name on staff bags and carry bags alike. The name has nothing to do with if they play on tour or not. If you want your bag personalized, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having your name on your bag. Again, to each his own, but you cannot set your own ideas that came from god knows where and push them onto others like its the law.[/quote]
[/quote]

you lost me when you said MOST collegiates and amateurs aspiring to play professionally will REFUSE a invitation to play AUGUSTA...... well I could be wrong....but I was under the impression the ONLY way you get a invitation to play AUGUSTA is by earning it.....in all ranks-from PRO to JOE..... and I am just gonna go on record here and now and say, whether I ever earn that invite or not- if it was offered to me....im taking it

now.....back to the " STAFF BAG " debate...... I beg to differ to say that I wont see aspiring Tour Professionals with their name on their bags.....all of them that are playing on some tour or another that have been given a STAFF BAG....use it with pride

and if you go online right now to pretty much any golf RETAILER..... they sell them STAFF BAGS.....to ANYBODY..... and here is what is even more amazing..... those very retailers, order them from the STAFF COMPANYS for resale with NO....0.....ZILCH for restrictions on who they can sell them too....

I am thinking that nobody should wear a STAFF type shirt or hat either.....of course if they didn't earn that BADGE OF HONOR (insert the roll eyes font here)

There are invites to play Augusta, and their are invites to play in The Masters. Two entirely different things.
Any slob with money and, or, connections ,can get an invite to play Augusta. Only a superbly accomplished player
can earn an invite to play in The Masters. See the difference?

Regarding bags; nothing wrong with staff bags, or carry bags, or any kind of bag. Whatever works best for the way a person plays. If he walks a hilly course then a light weight carry bag is best. If he rides a cart then a hard sided staff bag is best. This is just sensible.

Name on the bag is a different story. That is something earned. Attend a US Amateur. You will not see a single player with their name on their bag. Attend the NCAA tournament, you will not see a single player with his name on the bag. There is a code among the top level players. You don't have your name on your bag until you've earned it. Tiger and Phil got a thrill out of turning pro, signing endorsemnt deals, and finally getting their name on their bag. I promise you it was the first time they ever had their name on a bag, just like it is for every playing professional. It's a big deal for serious players to earn this achievement, a badge of honor.

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2098727' date='Dec 2 2009, 05:16 PM']you lost me when you said MOST collegiates and amateurs aspiring to play professionally will REFUSE a invitation to play AUGUSTA...... well I could be wrong....but I was under the impression the ONLY way you get a invitation to play AUGUSTA is by earning it.....in all ranks-from PRO to JOE..... and I am just gonna go on record here and now and say, whether I ever earn that invite or not- if it was offered to me....im taking it

now.....back to the " STAFF BAG " debate...... I beg to differ to say that I wont see aspiring Tour Professionals with their name on their bags.....all of them that are playing on some tour or another that have been given a STAFF BAG....use it with pride

and if you go online right now to pretty much any golf RETAILER..... they sell them STAFF BAGS.....to ANYBODY..... and here is what is even more amazing..... those very retailers, order them from the STAFF COMPANYS for resale with NO....0.....ZILCH for restrictions on who they can sell them too....

I am thinking that nobody should wear a STAFF type shirt or hat either.....of course if they didn't earn that BADGE OF HONOR (insert the roll eyes font here)[/quote]