2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Are "staff" bags too pretentious for Amateurs?

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2098668' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:52 PM']Not true. Name on the bag is deifinitely an honor which must be earned. You will never, ever , see a top collegiate or aspiring Tour professional ever have his name on his golf bag. In the world of high level golf that is not done.
Name on the bag is for when the player has earned it as a professional.[/quote]

You've said it three times now.

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2098668' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:52 PM']Along the same lines, most top collegiates and amateurs aspiring to play professionaly will refuse an invitation to play Augusta, unless that invitation is an earned one, from the tournament committee, to play in the Masters.[/quote]

frozen_rope. Often wrong, never in doubt.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2098810' date='Dec 2 2009, 04:52 PM']There are invites to play Augusta, and their are invites to play in The Masters. Two entirely different things.
[color="#FF0000"]Any slob with money and, or, connections ,can get an invite to play Augusta[/color]. [color="#2E8B57"]Only a superbly accomplished player
can earn an invite to play in The Masters. See the difference?
[/color]
Regarding bags; nothing wrong with staff bags, or carry bags, or any kind of bag. Whatever works best for the way a person plays. If he walks a hilly course then a light weight carry bag is best. If he rides a cart then a hard sided staff bag is best. This is just sensible.

Name on the bag is a different story. That is something earned. Attend a US Amateur. You will not see a single player with their name on their bag. Attend the NCAA tournament, you will not see a single player with his name on the bag. There is a code among the top level players. You don't have your name on your bag until you've earned it. Tiger and Phil got a thrill out of turning pro, signing endorsemnt deals, and finally getting their name on their bag. I promise you it was the first time they ever had their name on a bag, just like it is for every playing professional. It's a big deal for serious players to earn this achievement, a badge of honor.

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2098727' date='Dec 2 2009, 05:16 PM']you lost me when you said MOST collegiates and amateurs aspiring to play professionally will REFUSE a invitation to play AUGUSTA...... well I could be wrong....but I was under the impression the ONLY way you get a invitation to play AUGUSTA is by earning it.....in all ranks-from PRO to JOE..... and I am just gonna go on record here and now and say, whether I ever earn that invite or not- if it was offered to me....im taking it

now.....back to the " STAFF BAG " debate...... I beg to differ to say that I wont see aspiring Tour Professionals with their name on their bags.....all of them that are playing on some tour or another that have been given a STAFF BAG....use it with pride

and if you go online right now to pretty much any golf RETAILER..... they sell them STAFF BAGS.....to ANYBODY..... and here is what is even more amazing..... those very retailers, order them from the STAFF COMPANYS for resale with NO....0.....ZILCH for restrictions on who they can sell them too....

I am thinking that nobody should wear a STAFF type shirt or hat either.....of course if they didn't earn that BADGE OF HONOR (insert the roll eyes font here)[/quote]
[/quote]

actually.....now I am really lost on what your saying.....what are you saying...THIS TIME

if you think any SLOB or guy with money....or for that matter.....just about any GOLFER in the world would turn down an invite to play AUGUSTA your NUTS..... almost every golfer I have ever talked to dreams about playing AUGUSTA......

so tell me...in your first post you said AUGUSTA....didnt say MASTERS...... so what are you talking about when you claim any aspiring would turn down an invite.... because that club doesn't just offer invites for anybody...aspiring or simply JOE to come play AUGUSTA

as for the bag and name.....I won't try and speak for ASPIRING players..... but there is nothing wrong with a regular joe having a name and staff bag-if they so wish....

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2096488' date='Dec 1 2009, 08:29 PM']9" or 9.5" staff bag is perfect for cart riding. The clubs slide in and out easily, much better on a cart than any carry bag or cart bag. Also, in the trunk of a car or on airplanes the hard sided staff bag protects the clubs. If one rides a cart, staff bag is definitely the way to go.
However, personalizing a bag with the player's name is a right earned by Tour players, and only Tour players.
Amateurs should never, ever, have their name embroidered or silk screened on their golf bag. Name on the bag must be EARNED through excellent play to qualify for a major professional Tour.[/quote]

How did your club pro react when you lectured him that since he's not on the PGA, Nationwide, Tar Heel, or Hooters Tour; he isn't allowed to have his name on his staff bag?

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2098810' date='Dec 2 2009, 04:52 PM']There are invites to play Augusta, and their are invites to play in The Masters. Two entirely different things.
Any slob with money and, or, connections ,can get an invite to play Augusta. Only a superbly accomplished player

Regarding bags; nothing wrong with staff bags, or carry bags, or any kind of bag. Whatever works best for the way a person plays. If he walks a hilly course then a light weight carry bag is best. If he rides a cart then a hard sided staff bag is best. This is just sensible.

Name on the bag is a different story. That is something earned. Attend a US Amateur. You will not see a single player with their name on their bag. Attend the NCAA tournament, you will not see a single player with his name on the bag. There is a code among the top level players. You don't have your name on your bag until you've earned it. Tiger and Phil got a thrill out of turning pro, signing endorsemnt deals, and finally getting their name on their bag. I promise you it was the first time they ever had their name on a bag, just like it is for every playing professional. It's a big deal for serious players to earn this achievement, a badge of honor.

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2098727' date='Dec 2 2009, 05:16 PM']you lost me when you said MOST collegiates and amateurs aspiring to play professionally will REFUSE a invitation to play AUGUSTA...... well I could be wrong....but I was under the impression the ONLY way you get a invitation to play AUGUSTA is by earning it.....in all ranks-from PRO to JOE..... and I am just gonna go on record here and now and say, whether I ever earn that invite or not- if it was offered to me....im taking it

now.....back to the " STAFF BAG " debate...... I beg to differ to say that I wont see aspiring Tour Professionals with their name on their bags.....all of them that are playing on some tour or another that have been given a STAFF BAG....use it with pride

and if you go online right now to pretty much any golf RETAILER..... they sell them STAFF BAGS.....to ANYBODY..... and here is what is even more amazing..... those very retailers, order them from the STAFF COMPANYS for resale with NO....0.....ZILCH for restrictions on who they can sell them too....

I am thinking that nobody should wear a STAFF type shirt or hat either.....of course if they didn't earn that BADGE OF HONOR (insert the roll eyes font here)[/quote]
[/quote]

4 of the players on my high school's team have had their names embroidered on their bags since they were freshmen. Another friend of mine plays D3 collegiate golf and he has his name on his bag. None of them are snobs and if there were an unwritten rule about having their names on their bags, I am confident at least one of the five would know.

First post!

Teaching pros are a separate category. It used to be that a club pro would align himself with a certain brand, say Wilson or MacCregor, and that pro would sell his sponsoring brand's equipment to his members, and he would not sell any competing brands. This was before there were off course golf retailers, when players bought their equipment from their club pro. They bought what brand he endorsed, and they took golf lessons from him. In return the club brand supplied the pro with a set of clubs for him and a bag with the club brand and the pro's name on it. On the lesson tee the pro presented a professional image, including his bag and the club brand he sold.

[quote name='mrhills0146' post='2098836' date='Dec 2 2009, 06:05 PM']How did your club pro react when you lectured him that since he's not on the PGA, Nationwide, Tar Heel, or Hooters Tour; he isn't allowed to have his name on his staff bag?[/quote]

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2098908' date='Dec 2 2009, 04:41 PM']Teaching pros are a separate category. It used to be that a club pro would align himself with a certain brand, say Wilson or MacCregor, and that pro would sell his sponsoring brand's equipment to his members, and he would not sell any competing brands. This was before there were off course golf retailers, when players bought their equipment from their club pro. They bought what brand he endorsed, and they took golf lessons from him. In return the club brand supplied the pro with a set of clubs for him and a bag with the club brand and the pro's name on it. On the lesson tee the pro presented a professional image, including his bag and the club brand he sold.

[quote name='mrhills0146' post='2098836' date='Dec 2 2009, 06:05 PM']How did your club pro react when you lectured him that since he's not on the PGA, Nationwide, Tar Heel, or Hooters Tour; he isn't allowed to have his name on his staff bag?[/quote]
[/quote]

Many of us still represent our sponsors with pride.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I have the cart/staff bag. It's easy to lug around the course, I got it cheap, and it works better than the crappy ping bag that turns circles on the cart the entire round..

I don't have the game to make it pro. I don't have the game to beat up on people in the club championship. I like the bag, it holds a ton of crap, and it looks nice.

Never had anyone say anything about my bag when I shank my approach off in the woods...

If staff bags are so pretentious.... What does that make the guy who buys up anything "tour issue". If that isn't trying to be like a pro, I have no idea what else is!!

[quote name='kevidinho' post='2098905' date='Dec 2 2009, 05:40 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='2098810' date='Dec 2 2009, 04:52 PM']There are invites to play Augusta, and their are invites to play in The Masters. Two entirely different things.
Any slob with money and, or, connections ,can get an invite to play Augusta. Only a superbly accomplished player

[/quote]

4 of the players on my high school's team have had their names embroidered on their bags since they were freshmen. Another friend of mine plays D3 collegiate golf and he has his name on his bag. None of them are snobs and if there were an unwritten rule about having their names on their bags, I am confident at least one of the five would know.

First post!
[/quote]

welcome aboard..... nice to hear that some aspiring players do play staff bags with names......with pride im sure.....its amazing how few seem to know of this unwritten rule rope speaks about.....

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2098908' date='Dec 2 2009, 05:41 PM']Teaching pros are a separate category. It used to be that a club pro would align himself with a certain brand, say Wilson or MacCregor, and that pro would sell his sponsoring brand's equipment to his members, and he would not sell any competing brands. This was before there were off course golf retailers, when players bought their equipment from their club pro. They bought what brand he endorsed, and they took golf lessons from him. In return the club brand supplied the pro with a set of clubs for him and a bag with the club brand and the pro's name on it. On the lesson tee the pro presented a professional image, including his bag and the club brand he sold.

[/quote]

Rope..... use to be that milk was delivered to homes- in glass bottles non the less.....

now.....speak in todays terms ....how should all these current club pro's and assistants deal with names on the bag???????

[quote name='tjy355' post='2098813' date='Dec 2 2009, 04:54 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='2098668' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:52 PM']Not true. Name on the bag is deifinitely an honor which must be earned. You will never, ever , see a top collegiate or aspiring Tour professional ever have his name on his golf bag. In the world of high level golf that is not done.
Name on the bag is for when the player has earned it as a professional.[/quote]

You've said it three times now.

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2098668' date='Dec 2 2009, 01:52 PM']Along the same lines, most top collegiates and amateurs aspiring to play professionaly will refuse an invitation to play Augusta, unless that invitation is an earned one, from the tournament committee, to play in the Masters.[/quote]

frozen_rope. Often wrong, never in doubt.
[/quote]

and here I thought the term ROPE A DOPE was meant for boxing........

[quote name='FATC1TY' post='2098957' date='Dec 2 2009, 05:59 PM']I have the cart/staff bag. It's easy to lug around the course, I got it cheap, and it works better than the crappy ping bag that turns circles on the cart the entire round..

I don't have the game to make it pro. I don't have the game to beat up on people in the club championship. I like the bag, it holds a ton of crap, and it looks nice.

[color="#FF0000"]Never had anyone say anything about my bag when I shank my approach off in the woods...[/color]

If staff bags are so pretentious.... What does that make the guy who buys up anything "tour issue". If that isn't trying to be like a pro, I have no idea what else is!![/quote]

the unwritten rule for this occurrence would be to play a PROvisional......

im sure Rope will correct this rule if I am wrong;)

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2099001' date='Dec 2 2009, 06:22 PM'][quote name='kevidinho' post='2098905' date='Dec 2 2009, 05:40 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='2098810' date='Dec 2 2009, 04:52 PM']There are invites to play Augusta, and their are invites to play in The Masters. Two entirely different things.

[/quote]

First post!
[/quote]

welcome aboard..... nice to hear that some aspiring players do play staff bags with names......with pride im sure.....its amazing how few seem to know of this unwritten rule rope speaks about.....
[/quote]

Well for what it's worth, none of them have staff bags (they all have hoofers)

[quote name='kevidinho' post='2099023' date='Dec 2 2009, 06:30 PM'][quote name='OneBowTie' post='2099001' date='Dec 2 2009, 06:22 PM'][quote name='kevidinho' post='2098905' date='Dec 2 2009, 05:40 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='2098810' date='Dec 2 2009, 04:52 PM']There are invites to play Augusta, and their are invites to play in The Masters. Two entirely different things.

[/quote]

First post!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well for what it's worth, none of them have staff bags (they all have hoofers)
[/quote]

ah oh.....maybe Rope knows something that the rest of doesnt.....names for only those with good games

The reason you are "lost" is because you spend too much time talking instead of listening.
People with money and, or, connections, get invited to play Augusta National. A member invites them to play and they accept and play the course and they go back home and tell their friends about it.
Now seriously good players, like top ranked juniors and some top ranked collegians, also sometimes get invited to play Augusta. These players decline the invitation because the want to EARN the right to play Augusta, by getting invited to play in The Masters.

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2098828' date='Dec 2 2009, 05:59 PM']actually.....now I am really lost on what your saying.....what are you saying...THIS TIME

if you think any SLOB or guy with money....or for that matter.....just about any GOLFER in the world would turn down an invite to play AUGUSTA your NUTS..... almost every golfer I have ever talked to dreams about playing AUGUSTA......

so tell me...in your first post you said AUGUSTA....didnt say MASTERS...... so what are you talking about when you claim any aspiring would turn down an invite.... because that club doesn't just offer invites for anybody...aspiring or simply JOE to come play AUGUSTA

as for the bag and name.....I won't try and speak for ASPIRING players..... but there is nothing wrong with a regular joe having a name and staff bag-if they so wish....[/quote]

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2099037' date='Dec 2 2009, 06:34 PM'][color="#FF0000"]The reason you are "lost" is because you spend too much time talking instead of listening.
People with money and, or, connections, get invited to play Augusta National. A member invites them to play and they accept and play the course and they go back home and tell their friends about it.
Now seriously good players, like top ranked juniors and some top ranked collegians, also sometimes get invited to play Augusta. These players decline the invitation because the want to EARN the right to play Augusta, by getting invited to play in The Masters.
[/color]

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2098828' date='Dec 2 2009, 05:59 PM']actually.....now I am really lost on what your saying.....what are you saying...THIS TIME

as for the bag and name.....I won't try and speak for ASPIRING players..... but there is nothing wrong with a regular joe having a name and staff bag-if they so wish....[/quote]
[/quote]

Rope..... I honestly thought you were just funning us..... but now I think you are out to lunch.....

please, qualify some of your claims above for me....

1) how much money???
2) how many connections??

and I am saying this as nice and polite as I can..... your nuts if you honestly think a good, very good, or great or seriously good players are going to turn down a chance to play Augusta .....because as you claim- they want to earn that right.....come on- you can do better then this

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2099037' date='Dec 2 2009, 06:34 PM']The reason you are "lost" is because you spend too much time talking instead of listening.
People with money and, or, connections, get invited to play Augusta National. [b]A member invites them to play and they accept and play the course[/b] and they go back home and tell their friends about it.[/quote]

You're insane. [u]NOBODY[/u] gets on Augusta National just because they "have money or connections". And a member invite [u]has to be approved BY THE BOARD[/u] before the member can bring a guest onto the grounds. I know what I'm talking about ... do YOU? I think that you are the one who should be listening instead of talking. You're completely wrong and way off base on this one.

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2099037' date='Dec 2 2009, 06:34 PM']Now seriously good players, like top ranked juniors and some top ranked collegians, also sometimes get invited to play Augusta. [b]These players decline the invitation because the want to EARN the right to play Augusta[/b], by getting invited to play in The Masters.[/quote]

Name me ONE ... that's right ... ONE top ranked player who has turned down an invitation to play Augusta National. You're out of your mind. I know many, many top-ranked college players and a bunch of rated amateurs who would be salivating if issued a formal invitation to play there.

You know ... I personally think that you're full of BS and just want everyone to think you're "somebody" ... or whatever.

As for the staff bag question: If it suits your use, BUY IT. If you want your name on it, DO IT. It's your game, your money, and your time. ENJOY IT. Personally, I don't pay any attention to what other players are using for equipment. I pay more attention to their game.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

Would having a DIAMANA silver/blue staff bag that i doubt less than 10 people in the world have be pretentious?

nahhhhh even though i never use it, if i did people would be :man_in_love::man_in_love:

That being said, WHO CARES what other people think, life is too short to think about other people and their pretentious thoughts, if other people care enough to think your staff bag is pretentious, they need to get a life or get laid. IMO

[quote name='Hidalgo' post='2099121' date='Dec 2 2009, 06:56 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='2099037' date='Dec 2 2009, 06:34 PM']The reason you are "lost" is because you spend too much time talking instead of listening.
People with money and, or, connections, get invited to play Augusta National. [b]A member invites them to play and they accept and play the course[/b] and they go back home and tell their friends about it.[/quote]

You're insane. [u]NOBODY[/u] gets on Augusta National just because they "have money or connections". And a member invite [u]has to be approved BY THE BOARD[/u] before the member can bring a guest onto the grounds. I know what I'm talking about ... do YOU? I think that you are the one who should be listening instead of talking. You're completely wrong and way off base on this one.

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2099037' date='Dec 2 2009, 06:34 PM']Now seriously good players, like top ranked juniors and some top ranked collegians, also sometimes get invited to play Augusta. [b]These players decline the invitation because the want to EARN the right to play Augusta[/b], by getting invited to play in The Masters.[/quote]

[color="#2E8B57"]Name me ONE ... that's right ... ONE top ranked player who has turned down an invitation to play Augusta National. You're out of your mind. I know many, many top-ranked college players and a bunch of rated amateurs who would be salivating if issued a formal invitation to play there.
[/color]
You know ... I personally think that you're full of BS and just want everyone to think you're "somebody" ... or whatever.

As for the staff bag question: If it suits your use, BUY IT. If you want your name on it, DO IT. It's your game, your money, and your time. ENJOY IT. Personally, I don't pay any attention to what other players are using for equipment. I pay more attention to their game.
[/quote]

must be a long list Rope is working on........

[quote name='gunga' post='2099122' date='Dec 2 2009, 06:57 PM'][color="#FF0000"]Would having a DIAMANA silver/blue staff bag that i doubt less than 10 people in the world have be pretentious?

nahhhhh even though i never use it, if i did people would be :man_in_love::man_in_love:
[/color]

That being said, WHO CARES what other people think, life is too short to think about other people and their pretentious thoughts, if other people care enough to think your staff bag is pretentious, they need to get a life or get laid. IMO[/quote]

gunga...... since your not gaming that bag.....and it is such a rarity.....which I believe a thing of such beauty and rarity need to have exposure......so send that thing my way.....I won't slander your good name- I promise

I'll tell you , I have a staff bag (a beautiful Bridgestone bag), it sits in the closet holding spare clubs. Don't get me wrong, I love my Staff bag and I only carried it twice on out of town golf trips. I thought I wanted a staff bag to carry all my stuff; clubs, accessories, extra jacket/hat or gloves and know what I discovered, That's Too Much Stuff To Carry! Unless you really want a big bag, don't do it unless you get it for free (choose another gift)! Really though, if you want a Staff Bag get it, and don't worry about what other people say because they will talk about you even if you are perfect and nobodies perfect!

[b]Srixon ZX7  Evenflow White Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* EvenFlow White Stiff
Titleist TS3 19* hybrid EvenFlow White X-stiff 90gm[/b]
[b]Srixon ZX7 4-PW  Stiff

[/b]
[b]Bettnardi  50*  KBS S+

Bettnardi  54*  KBS S+

Bettnardi 60* KBS S+

[/b]Putter: Bettinardi BB#11 Ball:[b]Srixon Z-Star XV[/b]

I've got a name-tag hanging off my bag. It's not embroidered, but it does show my name. Is that pretentious?

And what about avg. Joe who has no aspirations to become a pro, or even a "player". Can he buy a nice staff bag and get his name put on it? Heaven's no!

*Bonus points to who gets that reference.

How much money ?
One man I know is a retired federal Judge , who later went on to be a lawyer/arbitrator/mediator at a big law firm and also serve on the board of driectors of a large oil company. So he has connections for sure and later on in his life made some money for sure. Anyway, I don't know who he called, and he doesn't play golf himself, but he got his two sons invited to play Augusta, no problem. Another guy I know does plays lots of golf, and he belongs to a few private clubs in california and one in in Ohio. This guy has played Augusta several times. Don't know how he gets himself invited but he does.

As for "big names" who refuse an invite to play Augusta. Most Tour pros are college stars and they usually tell Masters reporters they had been ":invited to play Augusta before" but didn't want to until they qualified for the Masters. Off the top of my head Tiger has said that, and Zach Johnson said it several times. Why is this so hard for you to believe ? Try to imagine you're a teenager or 20 something with a very promising game. You know you're going to make it to Augusta someday, the right way, by qualifying for the Masters. Why would you want to drive down Magnolia Lane as the invited guest of some member when if you wait awhile you can go in as a true player who qualified for The Masters. Sorry man, if you don't get this , I can't teach it to you.

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2099067' date='Dec 2 2009, 07:43 PM'][
Rope..... I honestly thought you were just funning us..... but now I think you are out to lunch.....

1) how much money???

and I am saying this as nice and polite as I can..... your nuts if you honestly think a good, very good, or great or seriously good players are going to turn down a chance to play Augusta .....because as you claim- they want to earn that right.....come on- you can do better then this[/quote]

I personally wouldnt go for a staff bag unless you are a single-digit handicapper. Theres nothing more poserish than a hack with a staff bag. Ive always wanted a nice leather Titleist staff bag with my name on it, but Ive always said I wouldnt do it until I was a single-digit handicapper. I want to feel like Ive somewhat earned that bag.

your right...... you haven't taught me anything worth a tinkers darn

let me ask you this.....IF....IF... you were this great up and comer.....who MIGHT have a chance at a pro career..... and MIGHT have the game to someday qualify for the MASTERS.....why in the heck would you not want to get in as many practice rounds as possible on a course where the ONLY MAJOR is played year after year?????

[quote name='frozen_rope' post='2099442' date='Dec 2 2009, 09:09 PM']How much money ?
One man I know is a retired federal Judge , who later went on to be a lawyer/arbitrator/mediator at a big law firm and also serve on the board of driectors of a large oil company. So he has connections for sure and later on in his life made some money for sure. Anyway, I don't know who he called, and he doesn't play golf himself, but he got his two sons invited to play Augusta, no problem. Another guy I know does plays lots of golf, and he belongs to a few private clubs in california and one in in Ohio. This guy has played Augusta several times. Don't know how he gets himself invited but he does.

As for "big names" who refuse an invite to play Augusta. Most Tour pros are college stars and they usually tell Masters reporters they had been ":invited to play Augusta before" but didn't want to until they qualified for the Masters. Off the top of my head Tiger has said that, and Zach Johnson said it several times. Why is this so hard for you to believe ? Try to imagine you're a teenager or 20 something with a very promising game. You know you're going to make it to Augusta someday, the right way, by qualifying for the Masters. Why would you want to drive down Magnolia Lane as the invited guest of some member when if you wait awhile you can go in as a true player who qualified for The Masters. Sorry man, if you don't get this , I can't teach it to you.

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2099067' date='Dec 2 2009, 07:43 PM'][

1) how much money???

and I am saying this as nice and polite as I can..... your nuts if you honestly think a good, very good, or great or seriously good players are going to turn down a chance to play Augusta .....because as you claim- they want to earn that right.....come on- you can do better then this[/quote]
[/quote]

Back in the day I worked for Tear Drop/Tommy Armour golf doing demo days in AZ and the rep at the time got me a 10.5" staff bag with my name as a thank you. When I unwrapped it, I thought it was awesome. I took it out once. For one, it was way to big to deal with and second, I felt like a pretentious a** trying to pretend I was a pro.

[quote name='fupresti' post='2099644' date='Dec 2 2009, 10:23 PM']Back in the day I worked for Tear Drop/Tommy Armour golf doing demo days in AZ and the rep at the time got me a 10.5" staff bag with my name as a thank you. When I unwrapped it, I thought it was awesome. I took it out once. For one, it was way to big to deal with and second, I felt like a pretentious a** trying to pretend I was a pro.[/quote]

interesting thought...... I wonder why you or anyone would even think such a thought....

questions, perhaps this can help me or others understand this line of thinking.....

were you wearing long pants the day you took it out...... and was somebody carrying your bag that day?????

just wondering...... cuz that might give others the impression you were a pro....otherwise, I don't know why anybody would have that thought..... or perhaps you were playing inside the ropes on that day......

I really would like to understand why anybody would honestly think others think they are pro or trying to imitate a pro unless it really was under pro conditions......

I mean if you were at your club, wouldnt your gang know who you are ....... and if you were at some public course, do you think others actually think every joe with a staff bag on a cart is trying to fool anybody on who they are or that they are a pro

I never thought all those people walking into the football stadium wearing tom brady jerseys on game day were tom brady......

I got a sick 9.5 bridgestone mini-staff for $50 new at golf glalaxy, and I honestly wouldnt have gotten it if it wasnt so cheap, but it is an awsome looking bag. I use it in the summer time when I ride and switch to my carry bag in the winter time. The staff bag is MUCH better in the cart, clubs go in and out much easier and the pockets are larger and more accesible.

So, get that bag man!

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

I would like to call posters attention to the following which is posted at the beginning of each forum, including this one:

[b]Posting here is a privilege not a right.
[/b][list]
[*][b]While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or purposeless inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.[/b]
[/list]This rule will be enforced. Please keep your posts respectful and too the point. Thank you.

[quote name='TitleistWI ' post='2099445' date='Dec 2 2009, 09:09 PM']I personally wouldnt go for a staff bag unless you are a single-digit handicapper. Theres nothing more poserish than a hack with a staff bag. Ive always wanted a nice leather Titleist staff bag with my name on it, but Ive always said I wouldnt do it until I was a single-digit handicapper. I want to feel like Ive somewhat earned that bag.[/quote]

I understand and can appreciate your logic and it's a great goal to shoot for but for me, it doesn't make much sense.
I own/ride a very nice Yamaha 1600cc Roadstar motorcycle. I guy I work wth said he wants to buy a bike but it HAS to be a Harley and he will not buy/ride until he can afford one. Eight years later, this guy still does NOT own a bike and he has missed out on 8 years of riding. I understand the thinking, I just don't agree with it.

I love Harley's also but they were out of my price range and I didn't know how long it would take to save for one.

I hope you do get to that singe digit HC, but if you don't... no bag?

Also, as I have mentioned many times when this thread has been posted before, if using a staff bag is trying to look like a pro, then I quess using Ping, Callaway, Nike clubs is doing the same thing. Right? But nobody says that about clubs.

The bag stigma is applied because (in my opinion) golf bags are so visable compared to golf clubs.

[quote name='FATC1TY' post='2098957' date='Dec 2 2009, 05:59 PM']I have the cart/staff bag. It's easy to lug around the course, I got it cheap, and it works better than the crappy ping bag that turns circles on the cart the entire round..

Never had anyone say anything about my bag when I shank my approach off in the woods...

If staff bags are so pretentious.... What does that make the guy who buys up anything "tour issue". If that isn't trying to be like a pro, I have no idea what else is!![/quote]

So true lol. All the reasons i have/use mine.