2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Shaank0's WITB *Little update 7/17/12 - Divot art on page 4.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Shank, how Do you like the VRS 3 wood?

Heard great things. I haven't used a 3 wood in about a year and a half because I can't find a 3 wood I am really satisfied with.

A little review about it would be great.

New irons look great as well, not like you needed to hear it again though.

Driver: Ping G400 LST LAGP Black Tie 60 X 
3 Wood: Titleist TS3 16.5* Diamana WhiteBoard 80 X 
DI: Callaway UT Forged 18* KBS Tour Prototype HB 95 S
Irons: Callaway Apex MB Raw (Tour Issue Wide Groove) 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 110s Hardstepped
Wedges: Callaway MD4 52* 56* S Grind KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125 S | Nike VRS DS 60*(Hand Ground) Nippon Wedge 125 S
Putter: Bettinardi Short Kuchar Model

[quote name='NJGolfer21' timestamp='1332049619' post='4528489']
Shank, how Do you like the VRS 3 wood?

Heard great things. I haven't used a 3 wood in about a year and a half because I can't find a 3 wood I am really satisfied with.

A little review about it would be great.

New irons look great as well, not like you needed to hear it again though.
[/quote]

I feel its a solid, head. definitly feels hot. I need to get it on the course more. I keep relying on my VR pro 3wood.

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1332224478' post='4541520']
Still lovin all your gear man. Keep it up!
[/quote]

Thanks, its gonna be changing a little bit in the coming weeks.
Good news:
I went for a driver fitting and picked up 30 yards and cleaned dispersion up a lot, over my machspeed black. slow swing my SS was only 95-96, but I was only getting 220 yards on good hits. So I went in and told my self I am going to buy whatever he puts in my hands if it is a big improvement, We tested numerous shafts and I believe 3 heads, the new cally Razr, non-tour RBZ, and the tour RBZ.

Ended up getting the Non Tour RBZ, with a VTS Black ( I think that's the shaft lol, i was such in a rush and hyped up over the improvements that I just wanted to hand over the money.) All the driver/shaft combos I tried were 10x better then my machspeed black, distances were pretty close but dispersion is where the rbz/vts combo shines.

Bad news: Warming up he told me for sure the I was not loading my modus 3's so I have to schedule a fitting next week and we are going to do iron fitting to find a shaft. I can load correctly, and a putter fitting.

So this will be updated pretty soon again ha ha.

[quote name='Shaank0' timestamp='1332286035' post='4545982']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1332277434' post='4545146']
If you get the VTS make sure you pay extra and get the SPX line. Huge difference between the standard VTS and SPX. Good choice in driver/ shaft.
[/quote]

VTS tour SPX , is what I can make out on the ordersheet. so Im good to go =P
[/quote]
Thats the one, you will love it. I have a silver and two blacks. Tested a ton of shafts and the VTS was superior to everything.

Did you also get a new 3W with a VTS?

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1332297463' post='4547420']
[quote name='Shaank0' timestamp='1332286035' post='4545982']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1332277434' post='4545146']
If you get the VTS make sure you pay extra and get the SPX line. Huge difference between the standard VTS and SPX. Good choice in driver/ shaft.
[/quote]

VTS tour SPX , is what I can make out on the ordersheet. so Im good to go =P
[/quote]
Thats the one, you will love it. I have a silver and two blacks. Tested a ton of shafts and the VTS was superior to everything.

Did you also get a new 3W with a VTS?
[/quote]

When I go pick the driver up, I will be getting a full fitting done. He said I was not loading the modus3's in my irons , so I am looking for new iron shaft possibly, and I will be testing out 3woods and hybrids. If I can gain some yardage I will jump on it for sure, it seems im always 10 yards short on par 5's but I guess with the new driver this wont be a problem, but we will see.

I did a fitting with Chris a couple months back and he set me up with the black UST Tour SPX in my driver and hybrid. I am loving them both so far. Nice bag!

915D2 9.5* Rogue Silver
915F 15* Diamana White
915H 21* Diamana White 90
712u 4i, 712CB 5-6, 712MB 7-P; C-Taper
Scotty Cameron GoLo
Vokey SM4 50, 55K Grind, 60E Grind
WITB Link

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had the Irons reshafted to some Nippon 1150 GH tours, went with a Orange scheme, so I got Orange ferrules with 2 red stripe and orange No.1 grips. These grips are insane very tacky, and soft. They are a little pricey but They feel really good, especially coming from Tour velvets.

Here is a pic of how they came out.

CIMG2244-1.jpg

CIMG2245.jpg

CIMG2246.jpg

On a side note, over a short period of time my swing absolutely left me. First it was my driver, and then my irons which is usually my bread and butter. I always have had a weak grip on the club and I was usually ok with it for the most part. After talking with a few people the same problem kept arising that I was not releasing the club head. So the past week I have been practicing with a stronger grip. and so far it has produced pretty good results. Driver is straight again, Irons are straight though I find it very easy to hook it now also occasionally hitting them a little heavy at times, I just have to keep with it and good things will come i feel.... Consequently my short game around the green feels off because of this change. It feels so foreign now. Hopefully with another week of beating ball I can get used to in and go on the quest of achieving my goals for this year.

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1336179083' post='4851448']
How you liking that Puma bag?
[/quote]

Its great, a lot lighter than my Ogio Grom. Sometimes have trouble sticking the clubs in but I think you get that with any stand bags. Its keeps pretty clean also.

[quote name='ochowie' timestamp='1336179474' post='4851482']
I love the look of the Black Scratch Irons. Is that something they do at the factory or do you do them after the fact. I couldn't find that finish on their website (not that I could really play with blades at this point).
[/quote]

That black finish is called Black Ice which is an up charge finish I believe from Scratch. I am actually debating on selling them, I love the blades, just the look at address, though I almost went and bought some GI's over the past few weeks, I couldn't hit the ball straight, and was getting frustrated from absolutely puring the ball the previous weeks. If I showed you my 7 iron face it looks like Im a hack. Going through this grip change was/is extreme, my previous grip was Lanny Wadkins weak both V's going towards my left shoulder, now I feel like I am David Duval. So that change alone had me hitting the ball all over the face heel and toe. My setup felt so akward. Actually listening to tiger talk to the press today I was like ME TOO .. when he was talking about setting up awkward and striping it. Just have to get used to these changes.

few days of beating balls and I am all better, Compressing the ball better and hitting my driver straight and longer just from properly releasing the club.

Hit every club in the bag excellent today except my A12 Hybrid which I was hitting near the heel. My swing is still flawed but at least now I can go out and post a good score.

I hope my new TD wedges get here soon.

[quote name='Shaank0' timestamp='1336180789' post='4851620']
[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1336179083' post='4851448']
How you liking that Puma bag?
[/quote]

Its great, a lot lighter than my Ogio Grom. Sometimes have trouble sticking the clubs in but I think you get that with any stand bags. Its keeps pretty clean also.

[quote name='ochowie' timestamp='1336179474' post='4851482']
I love the look of the Black Scratch Irons. Is that something they do at the factory or do you do them after the fact. I couldn't find that finish on their website (not that I could really play with blades at this point).
[/quote]

That black finish is called Black Ice which is an up charge finish I believe from Scratch. I am actually debating on selling them, I love the blades, just the look at address, though I almost went and bought some GI's over the past few weeks, I couldn't hit the ball straight, and was getting frustrated from absolutely puring the ball the previous weeks. If I showed you my 7 iron face it looks like Im a hack. Going through this grip change was/is extreme, my previous grip was Lanny Wadkins weak both V's going towards my left shoulder, now I feel like I am David Duval. So that change alone had me hitting the ball all over the face heel and toe. My setup felt so akward. Actually listening to tiger talk to the press today I was like ME TOO .. when he was talking about setting up awkward and striping it. Just have to get used to these changes.

few days of beating balls and I am all better, Compressing the ball better and hitting my driver straight and longer just from properly releasing the club.

Hit every club in the bag excellent today except my A12 Hybrid which I was hitting near the heel. My swing is still flawed but at least now I can go out and post a good score.

I hope my new TD wedges get here soon.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. They are beautiful clubs and I hope you're about to keep playing them.

Why is this game so infuriating, I have my swing where i want it to be, and then my putting goes to crap.

Could there be a Golo in my future? Rickie has one .... haha, ill have to go try it. Hell i might go back to my Snake eyes Viper putter (8802 style).

If I can get this putting going, 70's are in my future