Tour Striker

filthee

[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1304471852' post='3206136']
[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1304440736' post='3204788']
[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1304404148' post='3204063']
[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1304399663' post='3203999']
[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1304394691' post='3203898']
Hello Martin, it's Frankie again, and I'm having a problem with pitching again. I kinda want to learn how you pitch and some drills that help pitching. Questions like is your stance open, where do you place the ball in your stance position, what you do in the pitching swing, etc. for the basic pitch. Can you explain every aspects of basic pitching like that? I know this is too much to write and type about, but I'm having trouble making the ball stop, even with ProV1's and extremely clean grooves. Can you explain the basic pitch for me? Heck, if you're interested in really helping me, you could even make a video about pitching, even though I don't really need videos to help.
[/quote]

Frankie, which kind of pitch? A spinner (one hop and stop) or one that flies a little higher and releases?
[/quote]

The one hop stop kind of pitch, that's the one I can't do. Where do you place the ball in your stance, how wide is the stance, what do you do when you swing, etc. kinds of questions for that pitch. Can you help me with this?
[/quote]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvgJfwLjqXs[/media]

Frankie, here is a short excerpt from my short game DVD available on the website. This tip shows the leading edge shot; "Lee Trevino" spinning wedge shot. He was the master at this shot. Man, could he make the ball do some fun stuff on the green and this was before square grooves. I hit this shot about 25% of the time and I hit the "Tom Watson" mid-sole pitch about 50% of the time. I don't try and get the ball to spin unless I absolutely have to do so. The other 25% is the trailing edge pitch or "Philly Flop."

Keep in mind when watching the examples, the greens at Tetherow are really hard fescue surfaces. Just getting it to stop is a feat. The ball zips on bent or poa.

I hope this helps you out.

Cheers,

MC
[/quote]

Wow, thanks Martin! I'll be sure to use this to fix my pitching. You're the best! And I think it's funny that you posted the video on Facebook too :cheesy:
[/quote]

The video on the Short game is great. I still got a long way to go but I believe that it is accelerating my improvement. Thanks MC for putting out great dvds. All the continuing education Dvds have been valuable.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1305006756' post='3221205']
[quote name='JLew' timestamp='1304924205' post='3218263']

Thanks, Chuck. Are matching individual specs to the club (length/lie) critical to having success with it?
[/quote]

Critical? No. Getting the club close to something you are comfortable is important so it transfers to your set. You can actually save some dough if you have a decent club guy. Our adjustment prices are higher than some local shops.
[/quote]

Thanks, all ordered, I'll have my guy do the adjustments. Went with the 7x, let the punishment begin :good:

Taylormade Qi10 LS : Ventus+ Blue
Taylormade Stealth Plus : Ventus Velocore Blue 7X
Taylormade SIM2 Rescue - AD-IZ 85X
Taylormade P770 4-PW : MCA MMT 125X
Taylormade MG 50/54/58 : MCA MMT 125X
Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5X

Last Christmas I received the Pro X 7 Iron & the 56 degree wedge. I started using the wedge and I found I could hit fairly well. The Pro X 7 was more of a challenge. I use the X 7 regularly during my practice sessions. I can hit this club fairly well now. I average about 190 yards with it. I have even hit some well over 200. What brought me to the striker was the fact that I have a swing coach who advised me to hit down on the ball. I also had the tendency to flip the hands through impact. These clubs have really helped me in correcting these faults. The X 7 leaves so little margin, if any at all, for error that it has helped me with my transition move from the backswing into the downswing. I had a tendency to heave into the ball the X 7 has helped me with this and now I have a smooth transition. I cna also hit some killer knockdown shots with this thing. This is a great tool that I will be using for a very long time. I have a couple questions.

1.) Any chance of a X 5 iron or even a 3 iron model?

2.) Anyone else having success with the X 7?

[quote name='payl8tr' timestamp='1305050992' post='3222573']
Sorry for the treadjack, but Martin when are you planning on releasing the Swing Accelerator on your website for purchase? I'm interested in trying it out!

L

[/quote]

I have some protos if you want one. PM me with your address and e-mail. I wasn't happy with a piece and retooled the thing. Expensive booboo.

[quote name='JLew' timestamp='1305060681' post='3223021']
[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1305006756' post='3221205']
[quote name='JLew' timestamp='1304924205' post='3218263']
Thanks, Chuck. Are matching individual specs to the club (length/lie) critical to having success with it?
[/quote]

Critical? No. Getting the club close to something you are comfortable is important so it transfers to your set. You can actually save some dough if you have a decent club guy. Our adjustment prices are higher than some local shops.
[/quote]

Thanks, all ordered, I'll have my guy do the adjustments. Went with the 7x, let the punishment begin :good:
[/quote]

Cool. Thanks for trying it out.

[quote name='Noreaster71' timestamp='1305061693' post='3223059']
Last Christmas I received the Pro X 7 Iron & the 56 degree wedge. I started using the wedge and I found I could hit fairly well. The Pro X 7 was more of a challenge. I use the X 7 regularly during my practice sessions. I can hit this club fairly well now. I average about 190 yards with it. I have even hit some well over 200. What brought me to the striker was the fact that I have a swing coach who advised me to hit down on the ball. I also had the tendency to flip the hands through impact. These clubs have really helped me in correcting these faults. The X 7 leaves so little margin, if any at all, for error that it has helped me with my transition move from the backswing into the downswing. I had a tendency to heave into the ball the X 7 has helped me with this and now I have a smooth transition. I cna also hit some killer knockdown shots with this thing. This is a great tool that I will be using for a very long time. I have a couple questions.

1.) Any chance of a X 5 iron or even a 3 iron model?

2.) Anyone else having success with the X 7?
[/quote]

Glad you are digging it and that it has helped your action.

The 5 Pro is pretty hard. No plans for another iron, but we do have a driver coming out. I think people are really going to like it.

I hit the TSP 7i yesterday. . . . I guess I have good fundamentals! It looked intimidating, but my second swing was a beautiful, high soft draw. VERY long.

I see there's an X model; I will try that one as well.

It helps me visualize what I have been working on for several years, since I first picked up "The Impact Zone."

It felt so good, I'm curious, what shaft is in it? It is a stepped steel.

I think it's an excellent product, and an excellent idea, congratulations Martin!

[quote name='Geohans' timestamp='1305104274' post='3224363']
I hit the TSP 7i yesterday. . . . I guess I have good fundamentals! It looked intimidating, but my second swing was a beautiful, high soft draw. VERY long.

I see there's an X model; I will try that one as well.

It helps me visualize what I have been working on for several years, since I first picked up "The Impact Zone."

It felt so good, I'm curious, what shaft is in it? It is a stepped steel.

I think it's an excellent product, and an excellent idea, congratulations Martin!
[/quote]

When I told the designer I was looking for a KBS feel, I thought he used Femco shafts (who make KBS shafts). WRONG. I'm sorry to those out there that went the FST route, but that is a great shaft too.

My bad. I traded an e-mail with the gal in China who makes the TS clubs for me.

The actual company that makes that shaft that everyone (I've had 200 people ask me) is from "Formosa" 124 gram, stepped steel, .370 parallel tip shaft. Inexpensive feels great (like my KBS shafts).

Glad you are digging the club.

Cheers,

Martin

So Martin, I went to the range today after setting up my 45 degree arm angle on my mirror, it was flatter than I thought it would be but my hands did get above the shoulders in the DTL view at the top of my backswing, so that's perfect for me. One problem I was concerned with was that with the Swingyde making my wrists square after a 90 degree shoulder turn with the arms at the 45 degree angle at the DTL view, my clubshaft was slightly laid off a bit. I assumed that was because I only do a 90 degree shoulder turn to get more accurate than power, besides I hit my driver 270-290 now so... When I tried it at the range with the Tour Striker Pro X, bam, hitting the ball dead straight, and I mean it because my vision's 20/15, so no more draws and fades! I can't wait to take it to the course plus the AimCharts I got from AimPoint last week (don't worry I know how to use AimPoint on the greens)!

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1305174063' post='3226793']
Atta boy Frankie, tear'em up in your matches.
[/quote]

High school golf season's over :(. But I did enjoy ranking up the team leaderboard from 5th to best player on the team, and the previous best player's a 1 handicap with a golf simulator (his dad owns a golf swing instruction center with 2 simulators and K-Vests, whatever that means)! I hope I can get better so I can qualify for 2013 US Open. I'm going for a Francis Ouimet 1913 US Open kind of miracle on its 100th anniversary :)

Another satisfied customer here.

After struggling with creating lag and an early release, resulting in horribly inconsistent contact and pathetic carry distance/ball flight, I decided I had to try something besides "aim ahead of the ball" or "think about your hands." Nothing was going to stop 25 years of bad mechanics and my need to hit the ball instead of swinging the club.

Now, I've only had one practice session with the TS (8-iron) but by the end of the bucket I was hitting the most pure, beautiful shots of my life. I wasn't "swinging hard" in the least, and all I eventually had to think about was "loose grip and supple wrists." I've been working with a pro on my address, posture, takeaway and follow-thru, but no amount of instruction could tell my hands to stop working so damn hard.

I don't think I could have picked up the TS before I had begun taking lessons, though, and expected it to solve everything I had been doing wrong since I was 8. But using it in combination with good swing fundamentals means I can finally experience what it feels like to hit it properly. Now, I know my swing speed is still too slow as even my best shots only managed 125yds or so, but I think I should get used to the feeling of lag before I start cranking it up. Trajectory and launch angle looked awesome, though.

Also, a nice side effect is that I feel like I'm capable of using a much smaller clubhead; after using the TS, my r7's looked like shovels, and felt like them too. But this brings up a question: by getting used to a club that doesn't have a leading edge, on a low-cut mat no less, am I setting myself up for issues when I get to hit on turf with a gouging leading edge? I'm already a major digger (as much from flipping/early release as anything else, I imagine) so I'm worried it could get worse. Thoughts?

In any case, it's a great concept and a great product. Looking forward to getting better with it.

[quote name='NoahA' timestamp='1305315749' post='3231329']
Another satisfied customer here.

After struggling with creating lag and an early release, resulting in horribly inconsistent contact and pathetic carry distance/ball flight, I decided I had to try something besides "aim ahead of the ball" or "think about your hands." Nothing was going to stop 25 years of bad mechanics and my need to hit the ball instead of swinging the club.

Now, I've only had one practice session with the TS (8-iron) but by the end of the bucket I was hitting the most pure, beautiful shots of my life. I wasn't "swinging hard" in the least, and all I eventually had to think about was "loose grip and supple wrists." I've been working with a pro on my address, posture, takeaway and follow-thru, but no amount of instruction could tell my hands to stop working so damn hard.

I don't think I could have picked up the TS before I had begun taking lessons, though, and expected it to solve everything I had been doing wrong since I was 8. But using it in combination with good swing fundamentals means I can finally experience what it feels like to hit it properly. Now, I know my swing speed is still too slow as even my best shots only managed 125yds or so, but I think I should get used to the feeling of lag before I start cranking it up. Trajectory and launch angle looked awesome, though.

Also, a nice side effect is that I feel like I'm capable of using a much smaller clubhead; after using the TS, my r7's looked like shovels, and felt like them too. But this brings up a question: by getting used to a club that doesn't have a leading edge, on a low-cut mat no less, am I setting myself up for issues when I get to hit on turf with a gouging leading edge? I'm already a major digger (as much from flipping/early release as anything else, I imagine) so I'm worried it could get worse. Thoughts?

In any case, it's a great concept and a great product. Looking forward to getting better with it.
[/quote]

Hi Noah,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. I love reading E-mail like this! The TS is neat in that it HELPS people touch the ground with some forward lean without fear of chunking. Most people don't learn this move with normal clubs because of the large, embarrassing divot with the ball going nowhere. So, they throw away the potential energy and learn how to pick at the ball. Some play pretty well this way. It's not the sexy ball compressing way, but it is a way. The TS lets you cheat when touching the ground. You can land behind the ball, skid into the ball and still hit a nice shot. Some teachers have blasted me for this, but I explain that the "low point control" will come when the person isn't fearful of the touching the ground with forward lean. Yes, you may hit some miserable fat shot when you go back to your r7. Keep rotating back and forth between your r7 and the TS and you'll find that your sequence will deliver better angles, thus a better strike.

Glad you dig it and keep me posted.

Martin

[quote name='Geohans' timestamp='1305318763' post='3231480']
Martin, is the 56deg easier or harder to work with than the 8i?
[/quote]

Tough question, sorry. It has the highest leading edge of all the models. In that sense, it is the hardest.

IMO, it's the most versatile of the clubs. You can hit it with slow speed (green side stuff) or full speed. Due to the lie angle, it seems that people have an easier time getting the lean to make it work.

Not sure that helps:)

Got my x7 yesterday. First of all, count me impressed in the customer service and shipping alone. Ordered Tuesday night with standard processing and shipping, shipped Wednesday and arrived yesterday. That's pretty good.

Took it out to the range last night with my regular 7 iron and starting seeing some benefit pretty quickly. Hit a lot of shots of divots or bare ground to try to make sure I wasn't cheating with it. Overall, I've got a lot of work to do to be successful with it but when I did connect and compress it properly I hit some of the straightest, longest 7 iron shots I've hit (and I'm talking normal 160-65 carry with a 7i and the TS was carrying 175-80 with a better trajectory).

Tried rotating back and forth with my regular 7 iron and experienced the same thing as someone above - the r7 TP looks like a shovel. I wasn't able yet to completely translate the TS angles to my normal clubs but that was only 30 minutes. One side effect was that I had a 6 iron TM MB with me as well, with a much smaller face than my normal r7 TP's and after hitting the TS even that muscleback felt very easy to hit with a little compression and sweetspot contact.

Hoping to get back out to the range today (a little rainy here) or tomorrow. I think this is probably going to be one of the best investments I've made in my golf game.

Taylormade Qi10 LS : Ventus+ Blue
Taylormade Stealth Plus : Ventus Velocore Blue 7X
Taylormade SIM2 Rescue - AD-IZ 85X
Taylormade P770 4-PW : MCA MMT 125X
Taylormade MG 50/54/58 : MCA MMT 125X
Swag Handsome One
Taylormade TP5X

[quote name='JLew' timestamp='1305393290' post='3233502']
Got my x7 yesterday. First of all, count me impressed in the customer service and shipping alone. Ordered Tuesday night with standard processing and shipping, shipped Wednesday and arrived yesterday. That's pretty good.

Took it out to the range last night with my regular 7 iron and starting seeing some benefit pretty quickly. Hit a lot of shots of divots or bare ground to try to make sure I wasn't cheating with it. Overall, I've got a lot of work to do to be successful with it but when I did connect and compress it properly I hit some of the straightest, longest 7 iron shots I've hit (and I'm talking normal 160-65 carry with a 7i and the TS was carrying 175-80 with a better trajectory).

Tried rotating back and forth with my regular 7 iron and experienced the same thing as someone above - the r7 TP looks like a shovel. I wasn't able yet to completely translate the TS angles to my normal clubs but that was only 30 minutes. One side effect was that I had a 6 iron TM MB with me as well, with a much smaller face than my normal r7 TP's and after hitting the TS even that muscleback felt very easy to hit with a little compression and sweetspot contact.

Hoping to get back out to the range today (a little rainy here) or tomorrow. I think this is probably going to be one of the best investments I've made in my golf game.
[/quote]

J, thanks for sharing your experience. Glad that your first session was fun for you.

Hey Martin, I have a summer part-time job at Kepler's, my local golf shop (best customer service there is, better than Golfsmith) that pays $12 an hour after being trained to repair golf clubs such as re-gripping, re-shafting, PUREing, etc. I'm so excited! Plus since I'm trying to work for 6 hours a day, 6 days a week, I could get $600 in a week! I'm saving money for new clubs and such (not a club ho, thank goodness) but I'm also saving for a Real Feel Golf Mat (5x5) and Ralph Maltby Lie Board to work with my Tour Striker. But I'm really confused with which net to buy. What's the best golf net? Space is not limited for a 10x10 net, should I save for one of those?

Finally got to try out my TSP a few times. First session was horrible. I swung both the TSP and my normal clubs horribly. Tempo and rhythm were just way off. Went again yesterday and the light bulb came on. I was finally getting the ball in the air. Also, the video is EXTREMELY helpful. One thing I've found is that if I address the ball emulating the impact position... hands ahead, forward-leaning shaft, hips a little turned... and start the swing that way, I can compress the ball and the TSP works great. This type of swing is almost like using my pitching/chipping address position. If I address the ball normally, I have a MUCH harder time. Something goes wrong in the transition from "address position" to "impact position." But I'm definitely getting the sensation of compression and a downward swing. Just need to figure out that transition issue.

Hey Martin, I have a summer part-time job at Kepler's, my local golf shop (best customer service there is, better than Golfsmith) that pays $12 an hour after being trained to repair golf clubs such as re-gripping, re-shafting, PUREing, etc. I'm so excited! Plus since I'm trying to work for 6 hours a day, 6 days a week, I could get $600 in a week! I'm saving money for new clubs and such (not a club ho, thank goodness) but I'm also saving for a Real Feel Golf Mat (5x5) and Ralph Maltby Lie Board to work with my Tour Striker. But I'm really confused with which net to buy. What's the best golf net? Space is not limited for a 10x10 net, should I save for one of those?

Frankie, I use archery netting (10x10) and hang it from this aluminum track. It can glide back into the corner on the 90 to get out of the way - $225 all in. There are plenty of pop up nets available for about $100 online.

5uxy8xc92h.jpg

[quote name='dgrove12' timestamp='1305556974' post='3237990']
Finally got to try out my TSP a few times. First session was horrible. I swung both the TSP and my normal clubs horribly. Tempo and rhythm were just way off. Went again yesterday and the light bulb came on. I was finally getting the ball in the air. Also, the video is EXTREMELY helpful. One thing I've found is that if I address the ball emulating the impact position... hands ahead, forward-leaning shaft, hips a little turned... and start the swing that way, I can compress the ball and the TSP works great. This type of swing is almost like using my pitching/chipping address position. If I address the ball normally, I have a MUCH harder time. Something goes wrong in the transition from "address position" to "impact position." But I'm definitely getting the sensation of compression and a downward swing. Just need to figure out that transition issue.
[/quote]

Start out with half swings until you can flush it. You may just realize that your "full" swing is really just an "over" swing. A lot of my students sacrifice their structure during the backswing destroying their ability explode into a golf ball.

[quote name='Geohans' timestamp='1305318763' post='3231480']
Martin, is the 56deg easier or harder to work with than the 8i?
[/quote]

I have both the 56 and the 7 Pro. I'd say the 56 is easier to get in the air, because a 56 obviously will be higher than an 8. But both require precision to hit as long as you aren't fluffing your lie. If you fluff your lie just a bit, the 56 is MUCH easier than the 7 Pro.

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

Martin,

What is the standard length of the 7X Pro? My Taylormade MB 7 iron is 36.75" standard and I play +1/2" bringing the total length to 37.25". I was unsure what length to order the TSPX.

I am currently playing to a 0.6 handicap. What sort of feedback and improvement should I look for with the TSPX?

Thanks

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

Hello Martin, I don't think I should buy all those stuff, besides altogether they cost $900 for the mat, lie board, and net. I think I'll buy just the lie board or get a free one from Kepler's when I'm working there in the summer. Besides they have lots of lie boards from brands such as Taylormade, Mizuno, Ping, etc. for advertising reasons. I'm saving money this summer for Callaway clubs, because it just has "the one" feeling for me. I'm sure Titleist gives you the same feeling, right?

[quote name='dgrove12' timestamp='1305632004' post='3240599']
Hey Martin, non-TS question... I've been noticing that players with great swings (including yours) bump their right knee/forward press (or similar) to start their swing. Is this something that you consciously started doing? I've been playing around with this idea... seems to get me in rhythm.
[/quote]

I think all players need some kind of trigger to "pull the trigger!"

I don't like a "forward press" because I don't like the club to rest on the ground. I like to tap the ground, almost imperceptibly, then bump my right knee and hit it.

[quote name='bub72ck' timestamp='1305640971' post='3240908']
Martin,

What is the standard length of the 7X Pro? My Taylormade MB 7 iron is 36.75" standard and I play +1/2" bringing the total length to 37.25". I was unsure what length to order the TSPX.

I am currently playing to a 0.6 handicap. What sort of feedback and improvement should I look for with the TSPX?

Thanks
[/quote]

Stock length is 37".

You will like the sweet spot control it will reinforce and the sequence you'll tune to hit it consistently.

finally got to hit the tour striker on the range. hit about 100 balls, id say 50% were good shots the rest were low LOW bullets. went and played 9 the same day. boy my arms were very tired. probably 300 balls on the range. slight dog left, 330ish hole, bunker right at like 260, huge tree on the left. got pretty windy so i hit 6 iron. usually hit 4W. the highest 6 iron i ever hit. into the wind it dropped around 180. usually a 188-190ish club, but the wind was coming at me pretty strong. the thing went up like 9 stories with X100's soft stepped. not sure if it was the wind or our striker but it had to be the best/highest 6 iron i ever hit. all my iron shots for the 9 holes were at least 2 stories higher than normal with the same distance or slightly less due to the wind. im sure if the wind wasnt blowing i would of gained a good club longer. definatly a keeper. cant wait to get at least 80/20 good to bad ratio.

2 of the 3 others in our 4some said, damn i wish i could hit the ball like that, the 4th

another shot, had a double/split bunker to clear only like 30 yards to front of the green, green at that spot was only 25 yards wide and i was under a tree. on that distance i would normally use the LW, couldnt because of the tree and hit the AW, kept it low under the tree and ended up checking 5 yards short of the end of the green. a shot i would of always either ended up in the bunker or over the green. combination of TS and VR wedges helped me stick the green. i looked like a pro on that shot.

i can definatly see good things to come with continued use of the TS, now all i need is a good lesson on how to line up properly to your aiming line/stance position and i feel i could drop at least a good 5 storkes

G25 10.5 kiyoshi purple 75
G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
S55 3-p kbs tour
52/58 anser kbs tour
Golo 7 cb