Sonartec Hybrid MD contest! Check it out!

Nice bag setup. Where do you play out of?

Thank you,

Erik

Mr. Boysen,

My name is Bryan, and I am 15 years old. I have been a member of GolfWRX since last September, and am currently a member of the Junior Moderator Team. I have competed in many local and sectional events in the past with some sucess, and this year and the years following I will be playing in National Touranments (through the AJGA, FCWT, and the IJGT). I am a 2 handicap, and the aspect of my game that normally holds me back is my putting.

My driver swingspeed has recently been clocked at 109MPH, and I play a strong stiff in all of my clubs. I am currently playing a Cleveland Comp 9.5 with a Grafalloy Stiff (tipped 0.5"), a 904F w/ Grafalloy Blue, Titliest 503H 22º w/ Aldila NV 85S, Cleveland CG2's w/ PX 5.5's, Vokey 50, 54, 58 w/ S400. My swing is somewhat upright which alots for a moderate to high ball flight with every club in the bag. While I play a 15º 3-wood, there is a very large gap between my 3-wood and hybrid which has caused me some problems in the past. It has always been an ambition of mine to test clubs for various OEM's, and this seems like the perfect opertunity.

I do play a hybrid right now (Titleist 503H), and have had a very strong interest in trying more wood-like hybrids, such as the Sonartec MD, TM Rescue, etc. Like Adam, I play on Northern courses year round, and for most part, our courses are very hard. While I like the versatility of my 503H, but my gut is telling me to transition to somthing that not only will get the ball up a little more while filling in that gap, but be easier to hit all around.

Eric, I would like to thank you, Sonartec, and UST for giving GolfWRX this opertunity to test out your equipment, where as without your help many of us would not have this opertunity. I look forward to trying your clubs in the near future as I have heard many great things about your product.

Many thanks, Bryan

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello JD,

We do make lefthanded MD's in 17, 19 and 21 degrees. I need to talk to Joe and maybe offer a Sonartec Stiff lefthanded MD for all the lefty golfers on WRX. I think our Sonartec MD shaft is a great shaft for 90% of the golfers out their. The softer tip really helps get the ball up in the air to produce an iron ball flight.

The key to playing a MD is playing the club back in your stance like an iron.

Erik

Hello,

My Golf Backround

I have been on the WRX site for roughly 10 months, ever since I found this site I have made it part of my daily routine to check the site and see what is going on. I am a golf and golf equipment fanatic. I played university golf, and worked in the golf business for 10 years until I graduated. That was 2 years ago, and since then I have joined the corporate world and I have been having a rough patch now that I am unable to play 100 rounds a year - more like 30ish these days. At the moment I have ballooned to a 5 hdcp, which has been treating me well for the money game :crazy: but not up to my personal standards.

My Golf Swing

I would like to start by saying that I stand on the right side of the ball, which makes me a Lefty golfer. I came from a long line of Scottish golfers, starting with my Grandfather Sr. who worked only so that he could afford to play golf - a true golf junkie. Then came my father Jr. who was a great golfer as a junior, but decided to take a different route and turn down his golf scholarship in order to gain a real education, back in those days guys on golf scholarships rarely finished with a degree. Then came me (III), a Lefty which I still get slack for, Sr. had a golf club in my hands as soon as I could walk.

I have a home made swing as I never took a lesson. Due to my scottish heritage I have short limps and big shoulders/body - meaning the opposite building of Tiger. My swing is a little flat, but I have a very big shoulder turn, which helps me hit it past many of the taller golfer I play against ;) I have never been able to play boring rounds of golf, I hit it everywhere and have always been a good scrambler on the golf course. I make lots of birdies and bogies with a few pars every now and then, I'm trying to improve that part of the game. I recently started using a rescue club - a 21'degree Sonartec MD actually with a stiff stock shaft.

I have a 100mph swing speed with my Tour Issue ( I love the feeling and sound of the rat glue - I never would be able to play 460 without it) Cleveland Comp 9.5 and Aldila 65x - this is a no hook set up. I have a diggers swing, and sometime do not launch the ball as high as I wish, but I have found a bunch of success with the Stinger 4'inch tees launching the ball on the proper launch angle. I now carry my driver 285+ and love ever minute of it ;)

I have always been a very strong iron player - as a junior I played Macgregor blades 1-PW for a while, Old School. I am a ball striker that still likes to work the ball, as I mentioned earlier I have never been a fairways and greens type of golfer so being able to work the ball definitely comes in handy :vava: When I first got my rescue club last season I was looking for a club that I could hit far out of crap lies - which I find on a regular basis. I do like my 21'degree Sonartec MD, and I think with a great shaft this could be a lethal combination - I have been thinking about putting a new shaft in for a while but I am not sure what. I do like to play a little weaker shafts in my fairway metal in order to work the ball a little bit, and thus have been thinking along the same lines for the Sonartec.

I think I would be an excellent candidate for this promotion. I know that being a lefty from Canada puts me at the bottom of the list, but I feel that I have a lot to offer as a reviewer. I am very much a feel player which can help when it comes to reviewing products. Please consider allowing a Lefty Canadian to take part in your promotion, as it will add a different perspective on the Sonartec product.

Cheers,

jd :)

Okay - after reading Sonartec1 post I will say that my swing speed was measured 2 years ago - I have edited the swing speed since I agree it could be a little slower these days. That said - my ball speed has been checked recently and it is in the high 130's to low 140's depending on when I take a rip at it. I do however like to play a softer flex shaft in fairway/rescue clubs in order to get the ball airbourne :yahoo:

Hello, my name is Ben Jackson, I am 15 years old and am a freshman in highschool. Although I am not the best at golf, I carry a 5.6 handicap and have a deep love for the game, especially equiptment. Since joining golfwrx in November, i have learned tons about tour and prototype equiptment, and was recently named as a "Junior Boomer". I have been playing for about 7 years, but in the last 2 years I have started getting serious about my game. In these last couple of years I have played in many JGANC (Junior Golf Association of Northern California) tournaments, as well as on the Stanford junior golf team over the summer and this summer will be playing for the Coyote Creek junior team, and during the school year I play on my school's team, which this year made it through to our sectional finals.

My swing has a smooth tempo, is relatively flat, and delivers high launch, high spin shots. My shot tendancies are to hit a high drawing shot, which produce shots that land softly with lots, but not too much, spin. My swing speed hovers around 110 mph, and produces drives in the range of 270 yards. This would put me in the "S" group.

In my bag I carry a Titleist 983K driver with an Aldila NV 65 stiff shaft, a Sonartec NP99 three wood with an Aldila NV blue 75 stiff shaft (which I love), a Sonartec MD with an Aldila NV 85 hybrid shaft (which also I love), Mizuno T-Zoid Pro irons, a Titleist 54 degree Vokey Tour Chrome sand wedge, and a Titleist 60 degree Spin Milled Tour Chrome lob wedge. I love all my clubs, but but have been having awkward yardage gaps between my 15 degree NP99 (255-240 yards), my 17 degree MD (245-225 yards), and my 3 iron (210-200 yards). I would the very much enjoy trying a 19 degree MD, which would deliver a higher trajectory and help even out my yardages.

Thank you very much for all that you have done by organizing this contest.

I would love a chance to do this. I am a 14 year old junior golfer. I play to about a 3 handicap. My swing is fairly quick and I load the club very well. My swing speed in 102 MPH average.

Currently, for a hybrid I play a Tour Issue Adams A2Ts 19* with an Aldila VS proto 95-S.

I am very impressed with this hybrid however I always like to try new clubs. I would be willing to demo the club and write up a detailed review.

I would be in the stiff group. Let me know if any more info is needed.

Thanks for this opportunity.

Sean

Hi Eric,

I would thoroughly enjoy evaluating your clubs. I am fairly new to golfwrx. A little about myself...I am 27 years old and play to a 5. This interests me quite a bit, as I love my 2 iron but have considered putting a hybrid in my bag.

Here is a little about my swing:

avg. Driver swing speed: 118 mph

avg. Driver ball speed: 175 mph

I launch the ball fairly low, often less than 10 degrees as my angle of attack is often right around 0*, sometimes negative. I tend to go after the ball and swing pretty hard.

I currently play x100's in all of my irons, Titleist 690.CB's 2-P, 52* and 58* Vokey. I play a Fujikura Pro 95 or an x100 in my fairway wood depending on which one I carry. I am currently using a Diamana 83x in my FT-3 Tour. My 905T also has a Fujikura Pro 95 that is 44".

If you need someone to evaluate an x-flex, I would love to do it. I work in the golf industry and I have access to a launch monitor. Thus, if any launch data would be beneficial, I could gladly give that feedback.

In all, I am an avid golfer who would love to evaluate your equipment. I would be able to put it in play almost every day the weather cooperates here in New England. Thank you for your consideration and best of luck with its development. If you have any questions for me do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you,

coopizzez

Erik,

First of all I would like to thank you and Joe for even considering involving lefties in this review.

I really do like what I can do with the the Sonartec MD, I can hit it out of any lie and it is the best looking rescue club in the business IMO. I agree that most benefit from the soft tip of the stock irod shaft, myself included.

That is an excellent point that you have raised with playing the ball back in my stance, I will definitely experiment with ball position. I think I might need a heavier shaft, in order for the club to feel/play more like an iron. I know this is a great club, i just need to find the right setup.

It really is so amazing that you respond so quickly to the posts, it really goes to show how great WRX is and we really appreciate the support of Sonartec as a sponsor.

I hope to hear from you as part of the Lefty testing crew.

The wedges look great by the way, any chance they will be offered backwards (lefty)? :yahoo:

Thanks for the response, ;)

Jamie

Hello JD,

We do make lefthanded MD's in 17, 19 and 21 degrees. I need to talk to Joe and maybe offer a Sonartec Stiff lefthanded MD for all the lefty golfers on WRX. I think our Sonartec MD shaft is a great shaft for 90% of the golfers out their. The softer tip really helps get the ball up in the air to produce an iron ball flight.

Erik

Hello,

My Golf Backround

I have been on the WRX site for roughly 10 months, ever since I found this site I have made it part of my daily routine to check the site and see what is going on. I am a golf and golf equipment fanatic. I played university golf, and worked in the golf business for 10 years until I graduated. That was 2 years ago, and since then I have joined the corporate world and I have been having a rough patch now that I am unable to play 100 rounds a year - more like 30ish these days. At the moment I have ballooned to a 5 hdcp, which has been treating me well for the money game :crazy: but not up to my personal standards.

My Golf Swing

I would like to start by saying that I stand on the right side of the ball, which makes me a Lefty golfer. I came from a long line of Scottish golfers, starting with my Grandfather Sr. who worked only so that he could afford to play golf - a true golf junkie. Then came my father Jr. who was a great golfer as a junior, but decided to take a different route and turn down his golf scholarship in order to gain a real education, back in those days guys on golf scholarships rarely finished with a degree. Then came me (III), a Lefty which I still get slack for, Sr. had a golf club in my hands as soon as I could walk.

I have a home made swing as I never took a lesson. Due to my scottish heritage I have short limps and big shoulders/body - meaning the opposite building of Tiger. My swing is a little flat, but I have a very big shoulder turn, which helps me hit it past many of the taller golfer I play against :beee: I have never been able to play boring rounds of golf, I hit it everywhere and have always been a good scrambler on the golf course. I make lots of birdies and bogies with a few pars every now and then, I'm trying to improve that part of the game. I recently started using a rescue club - a 21'degree Sonartec MD actually with a stiff stock shaft.

I have a 100mph swing speed with my Tour Issue ( I love the feeling and sound of the rat glue - I never would be able to play 460 without it) Cleveland Comp 9.5 and Aldila 65x - this is a no hook set up. I have a diggers swing, and sometime do not launch the ball as high as I wish, but I have found a bunch of success with the Stinger 4'inch tees launching the ball on the proper launch angle. I now carry my driver 285+ and love ever minute of it :vava:

I have always been a very strong iron player - as a junior I played Macgregor blades 1-PW for a while, Old School. I am a ball striker that still likes to work the ball, as I mentioned earlier I have never been a fairways and greens type of golfer so being able to work the ball definitely comes in handy ;) When I first got my rescue club last season I was looking for a club that I could hit far out of crap lies - which I find on a regular basis. I do like my 21'degree Sonartec MD, and I think with a great shaft this could be a lethal combination - I have been thinking about putting a new shaft in for a while but I am not sure what. I do like to play a little weaker shafts in my fairway metal in order to work the ball a little bit, and thus have been thinking along the same lines for the Sonartec.

I think I would be an excellent candidate for this promotion. I know that being a lefty from Canada puts me at the bottom of the list, but I feel that I have a lot to offer as a reviewer. I am very much a feel player which can help when it comes to reviewing products. Please consider allowing a Lefty Canadian to take part in your promotion, as it will add a different perspective on the Sonartec product.

Cheers,

Okay - after reading Sonartec1 post I will say that my swing speed was measured 2 years ago - I have edited the swing speed since I agree it could be a little slower these days. That said - my ball speed has been checked recently and it is in the high 130's to low 140's depending on when I take a rip at it. I do however like to play a softer flex shaft in fairway/rescue clubs in order to get the ball airbourne :cheesy:

Mr. Boysen:

My name is Micheal Lamar, I am 38 years of age and have been playing golf for 5 years now (late bloomer). My wife says, “I’ve gone golf crazy”. I’m currently around a 12 HDCP and trying very hard to a Single-Digit HDCP. I’ve never had any formal training or coaching and I developed my game from TV Programs and Golf Periodicals and Practice, Practice, Practice when I have the time.

With golf technology at an all time high, I finally decided to get fitted for my driver to get my ideal launch angle and spin rate. The results came back with me installing the Pro Launch Blue 65S by Grafalloy into my Nike Ignite 410 8.5*. I’m hitting it Long off the tee and don’t have to worry about getting the Titleist NXT Tour airborne. My confidence is at an all time high. The rest of my set-up includes: TaylorMade 3W V-Steel 13.0* with DG Light Shaft; Titleist 3I – 9I 690MB; Cleveland CG10 52* and 46* Wedges (med-bounce), Cleveland Reg588 56* Wedge.

Now you ask, “What’s Missing?” …… Answer: Sonartec MD Hybrid Transition Club

I used to play with an Adams Tight Lie 16* Fairway Metal w/a graphite shaft – reg flex, but the club got damaged due to wear/tear. I haven’t had to the opportunity to try any of the new hybrids an would love to put one back into my bag for those shots between 220-230 yds from the fairway.

My swingspeed with my driver is avg (95-100mph) … Slow take-away and Accelerating thru the ball.

I like the penetrating ball flight with my mid and long irons because it gives me more control and I’m able dictate the type of shot I want to hit. But I would love to put a new hybrid in the bag and bomb it from the fairway on those long shots.

Thanks, for taking the time out to read my letter and hopefully I make the “R” Team.

Again, Thanks.

MLamar

Mr. Boysen

Hello, my name is Marcus and I am a high school senior getting ready to graduate in a few days. I have a 1 handicap and I have played in several state and national junior tournaments. I will be playing college golf at Furman University in the fall.

Chicks my dig the long ball, but unfortunately, I am not a bomber off the tee :) . I am very much a "control player" and I'd say my strength is with the short game. I am 5'7'', 120 lbs. My swing speed is 103 and I probably average 250-275 off the tee. I play stiff flex shafts in all my clubs. I'd describe my swing as traditional, somewhat similar to a young Tiger Woods. Well, maybe not quite :crazy:. I'm not really a digger or a sweeper; I'm somewhere inbetween. I hit the ball fairly straight with a medium ball flight but I'll have my draw days and fade days.

Currently, I am playing with the Nickent 3DX ironwood 20* with the stock Aldila NV. I hit the club decently for me but I am trying to replace it with something lower lofted (about 18*) and without a draw bias. I would very much like to try the Sonartec MD. I have had the SS-07 3 wood with a Harmon shaft in my bag for about 3 years and it is still going strong.

Like most people on this site, I really enjoy testing clubs and finding out what works for me. Thanks for this opportunity to test the Sonartec MD! Also, thanks to UST for providing the shafts for the test.

Marcus

Hello Sir,

Well I'd to start of by thanking you for allowing my fellow golfwrx'ers and me to partake in such a contest. This is a great opportunity for all of us.

I'm Joe, a 16 year-old who began golf by beating balls at the range a couple of years ago. Once I felt confident with my swing I began playing at the course. Now I've dropped 20 strokes off my game from last year and am looking forward to getting better. Currently I'm on the JV golf team but am looking to make a run for a Varsity spot next year. I am a three season athlete at my school and do sports that allow me to concentrate on strengthening my body without the use of weights, such as swimming and running.

My swing is a little upright with a motion that mimics Ernie Els where the club flattens as it makes its way down. I focus on the fundamentals such as posture and grip. However when my swing gets crazy, its because I tend to get disconnected and loose. I read books by many prominent teachers such as David Leadbetter and Jim Mclean to help me develop awareness of what I'm doing during a golf swing. All this hard work has brought me from hitting the big slices to hitting the baby fade and occasional draw. With this swing of mine, it allows me to really go and pick at the ball when I swing my short irons and sweep the ball with my long irons.

The equipment I play is all regular except for my driver. Thus I believe I would be in the "R" category. My normal trajectory is a mid flight which I have come to love. However as comfortable I am over my long irons, I'm human and make mistakes. My normal miss with my 3 iron is a push. This is where a hybrid would be great. A member on my golf team just bought a Sonartec 5 wood and let me hit it. That was one of the best feeling clubs I have hit. Now I know the Sonartecs are targeted at a more advanced level of player but I consider myself a decent ball striker who will be able to give some feedback.

Now I'm sure you'll notice that I am lacking a hybrid if you take a gander at my signature. Well at 16 years of age, money is a little hard to come by, esp when you play golf. I would love to add a hybrid to my arsenal and hitting a variety would allow me to choose the best one. By getting the chance to write a review for one, I would be able to have a strong baseline for what I am looking for. I have often used my friends' hybrids and have experienced first hand at how well hybrids can help. I'm sure we all remember the 2004 Open Championship where Todd Hamilton used a Sonartec hybrid in so many ways to seal the deal.

Thank you for considering me,

Joe

Mr. Boysen,

Hi my name is Dan. I am 17. I play to a +1.6 handicap.I have been a member here on golf wrx since last June. I am also a member of the Jr. Moderator Squad. Having the oppurtunity to test this club for you would help me out in the long run as well. I have yet to find a hybrid that i like and hit consistent enough to replace my 2 iron. I had a brief opputrtunity to test out the Sonartec MD and liked the results, unfortunately it was only on the range at a tournament. I am a junior golfer working towards playing division I college golf. I play on the IJGT, FCWT, and AJGA. I live near Philadelphia so i get to play many great courses such as Philadelphia Country Club and Merion.

In order to help you understand my swing i will start by saying that i have an athletic build. i am 5' 9" 160lbs. My swing speed with a driver is 118 avg. My swing most closely resembles Ernie Els' except for the fact that i have a normal to slightly quicker tempo and im not 6' 4". Here is my bag setup as of 5/17/06 when i will be picking up my new irons and wedges from my club builder. Driver: Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ UST Pro Force V2 flexing at a 7.0 rifle scale. 3 Wood: 904f 15* w/ UST Pro Force V2 flexing at 7.0. Irons: Mizuno MP-32 (2-Pw) W/ Rifle 6.8, wedges: Vokey 60, 54, w/ rifle 6.4. I have a strong swing and hit an extremely high ball. i am i high ball speed high spin player. i play the Titleist Pro V1 X.

I love your new design on the T35 proto wedges, they actually have the exact grind i like on my wedges. unfortunately my local NY Golf Center of Princeton N.J. wont be carrying them so i can't demo them to ensure that i love them. They said that it would be too "niche" of a product and they would be left with them on the shelves. ( i couldnt disagree more).

Again thank you for giving me this oppurtunity and i hope we can turn this into a working relationship in the near future.

Thank you,

Dan Charen...aka Goose

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

Erik,

I am the best canidate for this club test. I am a mechanical engineer who is trying to get a job with an OEM designing golf clubs. Because of this background I pay very close attention to every club I hit, and I hit every club I can get my hands on.

The reputation of my equipment knowledge has spread quickly around my golf club and office. I constantly have people approaching me with equipment questions, looking for advice to help their game.

I have heard tons of great things about Sonartecs products, but haven't had the opertunity to try your products because they are not well represented in the golf stores in my area.

Trying to find a hybrid that club that fits my game has turned into an emormous labor. I have hit offerings from most of the OEMs and have not found a reason to put one in my bag. That being said, I have not hit the Sonartec MD. If you want an honest assessment of this club then put in my hands!

I am 24 years old. I have been playing golf for 4 years. I have hopes of getting my handicap bellow 5 this year. I either play or practice golf every day in hopes of reaching my goal. Until this year I have been a very techinical player, but this year I am trying to bring more "feel" into my game.

I have a TM 425 9.5* driver with a UST V2 95 gram S flex shaft. I have been having trouble controlling my draw with this club. The closed face is killing me, I might try to get the TP. My 3 wood has been in my bag longer than any club. Its a Callaway Steelhead III with a DG S300. The thing just does exactly what I want when I want so I don't question it. For irons I have the TM 300 forged with Rifle 6.0 shafts. I think the 300's are the best irons ever made. I plan on buying a backup set because my current set will be due for a refinish next year. My wedge setup is 52*, 54*, 60* vokey raws. I really like the look of these wedges. The grooves are getting worn down, but I'll probably have them milled instead of replacing them. I would be taking the 54* out of the bag to make room for the MD. My putter at this particular minute is the Yes! Tracy II.

I have been an active participant on various golf forums since I first started playing. It has been really neat to witness the evolution of these communities, with each iteration improving on the next. It is an absolute thrill to have such open channels to manufactures these days, all thanks to companies like Sonartec who recognize value of places like GolfWRX.

Thanks to everyone involved for putting together such a fantastic opertunity.

Thanks for the opertunity to take part in this. Its really great to see manufactures taking part in these online communities.

:)

Thanks for the opportunity!

Name: Ken Kishihara

How long I've been playing: On & off for 20 years

Handicap: 12. :) Should be better, but either my putting or short game goes south!

Swing/ball speeds: Not sure, but my average drive is 250-260 using nike's ignite 460, 10.5* stiff graphite stock shaft.

Swing profile: Driver - Aggressive (accuracy, last time out, fairways hit 65%)

Fairway woods - medium fast swing- 3 wood off the tee=225 yards, off the deck=215 yards;

5 wood, off the tee=210, off the deck=200)

Long Irons - Aggressive

Medium and short irons - Tempo/accuracy is the name of the game

Biggest problem & the reason why I would be a good candidate: (other than putting or short game... do you guys make putters?) is my long irons, I'm too inconsistent and tend to be too aggressive with long irons, but not my fairway woods, go figure. I do not have any hybrids, but was looking into getting one to replace either my 3/4 iron or 5 wood (most likely my 3) so that I can have better control on longer shots (~200 yards) and to use around the green to help my short game!

My typical shot patterns for my 3 & 4 irons are a fade/push fade, off the deck and a pull, off the tee.

Thank you for this opportunity!

Ken

Greetings,

I am 58 years old and carry a 7 handicap. I've been playing golf since my father introduced me to the game when I was a young punk.

My current setup includes:

Taylormade R7 9.0 Driver with a Diamana Regular shaft.

Cleveland 3-wood

Callaway Steelhead 5-wood

Mizuno MP-60s with TX90 Reg Shaft

Cleveland 52 & 58 Degree Wedges

Cameron Studio Design Newport Putter

I just love the game of golf and always try to improve the performance of my clubs with slight modifications. I am also serious about instruction and I get to the Leadbetter Academy twice a year for the past four years. Same instructor and still trying to fix the same swing issues.

I am currently researching what hybrid to add to my bag and it seems this is a really great opportunity to try your highly-rated club. I did have a Sonartec 3-wood but it just hit the ball too low.

Extremely willing to try your club and I will be more than happy to provide feedback and input.

Thanks,

Sorry no lefty wedges in the works yet. A great shaft for the MD to play like an iron is the Aldila NV 85 or the 105 if you have the swing speed. People that hit the NV 105 tend to see a very low ball flight. That is why the NV 85 is very popular on the PGA tour.

Erik

Erik,

First of all I would like to thank you and Joe for even considering involving lefties in this review.

I really do like what I can do with the the Sonartec MD, I can hit it out of any lie and it is the best looking rescue club in the business IMO. I agree that most benefit from the soft tip of the stock irod shaft, myself included.

That is an excellent point that you have raised with playing the ball back in my stance, I will definitely experiment with ball position. I think I might need a heavier shaft, in order for the club to feel/play more like an iron. I know this is a great club, i just need to find the right setup.

It really is so amazing that you respond so quickly to the posts, it really goes to show how great WRX is and we really appreciate the support of Sonartec as a sponsor.

The wedges look great by the way, any chance they will be offered backwards (lefty)? :yahoo:

Jamie

Hello JD,

Erik

Hello,

My Golf Backround

My Golf Swing

I have a home made swing as I never took a lesson. Due to my scottish heritage I have short limps and big shoulders/body - meaning the opposite building of Tiger. My swing is a little flat, but I have a very big shoulder turn, which helps me hit it past many of the taller golfer I play against :beee: I have never been able to play boring rounds of golf, I hit it everywhere and have always been a good scrambler on the golf course. I make lots of birdies and bogies with a few pars every now and then, I'm trying to improve that part of the game. I recently started using a rescue club - a 21'degree Sonartec MD actually with a stiff stock shaft.

I have a 100mph swing speed with my Tour Issue ( I love the feeling and sound of the rat glue - I never would be able to play 460 without it) Cleveland Comp 9.5 and Aldila 65x - this is a no hook set up. I have a diggers swing, and sometime do not launch the ball as high as I wish, but I have found a bunch of success with the Stinger 4'inch tees launching the ball on the proper launch angle. I now carry my driver 285+ and love ever minute of it :vava:

I have always been a very strong iron player - as a junior I played Macgregor blades 1-PW for a while, Old School. I am a ball striker that still likes to work the ball, as I mentioned earlier I have never been a fairways and greens type of golfer so being able to work the ball definitely comes in handy ;) When I first got my rescue club last season I was looking for a club that I could hit far out of crap lies - which I find on a regular basis. I do like my 21'degree Sonartec MD, and I think with a great shaft this could be a lethal combination - I have been thinking about putting a new shaft in for a while but I am not sure what. I do like to play a little weaker shafts in my fairway metal in order to work the ball a little bit, and thus have been thinking along the same lines for the Sonartec.

Cheers,

Okay - after reading Sonartec1 post I will say that my swing speed was measured 2 years ago - I have edited the swing speed since I agree it could be a little slower these days. That said - my ball speed has been checked recently and it is in the high 130's to low 140's depending on when I take a rip at it. I do however like to play a softer flex shaft in fairway/rescue clubs in order to get the ball airbourne :cheesy:

i need to try my hybrid with a nv 105 shaft then

Sorry no lefty wedges in the works yet. A great shaft for the MD to play like an iron is the Aldila NV 85 or the 105 if you have the swing speed. People that hit the NV 105 tend to see a very low ball flight. That is why the NV 85 is very popular on the PGA tour.

Erik

Erik,

Jamie

Hello JD,

Erik

Hello,

My Golf Backround

My Golf Swing

Cheers,

How do you like the UST V2 in your driver? Just put a V2 in my 3wd, having a hard time pulling the GD Pershing I have in my driver. Great article in the May 2006, Golf Digest page 166. It is all about GIR and putting, this should help lower your handicap.

Me and a couple of the guys in the office played Torrey Pines on Saturday and this article really makes sense when you hit greens and putt well.

Good Luck,

Erik

Erik,

I am the best canidate for this club test. I am a mechanical engineer who is trying to get a job with an OEM designing golf clubs. Because of this background I pay very close attention to every club I hit, and I hit every club I can get my hands on.

The reputation of my equipment knowledge has spread quickly around my golf club and office. I constantly have people approaching me with equipment questions, looking for advice to help their game.

I have heard tons of great things about Sonartecs products, but haven't had the opertunity to try your products because they are not well represented in the golf stores in my area.

Trying to find a hybrid that club that fits my game has turned into an emormous labor. I have hit offerings from most of the OEMs and have not found a reason to put one in my bag. That being said, I have not hit the Sonartec MD. If you want an honest assessment of this club then put in my hands!

I am 24 years old. I have been playing golf for 4 years. I have hopes of getting my handicap bellow 5 this year. I either play or practice golf every day in hopes of reaching my goal. Until this year I have been a very techinical player, but this year I am trying to bring more "feel" into my game.

I have a TM 425 9.5* driver with a UST V2 95 gram S flex shaft. I have been having trouble controlling my draw with this club. The closed face is killing me, I might try to get the TP. My 3 wood has been in my bag longer than any club. Its a Callaway Steelhead III with a DG S300. The thing just does exactly what I want when I want so I don't question it. For irons I have the TM 300 forged with Rifle 6.0 shafts. I think the 300's are the best irons ever made. I plan on buying a backup set because my current set will be due for a refinish next year. My wedge setup is 52*, 54*, 60* vokey raws. I really like the look of these wedges. The grooves are getting worn down, but I'll probably have them milled instead of replacing them. I would be taking the 54* out of the bag to make room for the MD. My putter at this particular minute is the Yes! Tracy II.

I have been an active participant on various golf forums since I first started playing. It has been really neat to witness the evolution of these communities, with each iteration improving on the next. It is an absolute thrill to have such open channels to manufactures these days, all thanks to companies like Sonartec who recognize value of places like GolfWRX.

Thanks to everyone involved for putting together such a fantastic opertunity.

Thanks for the opertunity to take part in this. Its really great to see manufactures taking part in these online communities.

:)

Good choice.....

Erik

i need to try my hybrid with a nv 105 shaft then

Erik

Erik,

Jamie

Hello JD,

Erik

Hello,

My Golf Backround

My Golf Swing

Cheers,

I am Aaron Rives, 16 years old from with a long but smoothly quick swing. I have had a golf club in my hand forever and have played seriously for about 4 or 5 years. I set the club up with a slightly open face and close it through the swing. If I miss a shot, I generally miss it on the toe of the club and it moves slightly left. I would be in the S group.

My driver swing speed is about 110 mph, and I average 280 yards off of the tee. My iron swing is a slightly steeper swing and I hit my 6 iron 170 yards. I play an stiff shaft in my driver and woods with Rifle Flighted 6.0 shafts. Many weekends out of my year go to playing golf on the Eastern Junior Golf Association's junior tour around North and South Carolina. I also play on my highschool golf team (Leesville High in Raleigh, NC). I shoot in the mid 70's to low 80's (Low Score: 71 -1) and wouldnt mind trying out a new hybrid for a little. I appreciate the chance. If you want any more information, please ask.

Peace

My bag consists of: Titleist 905R 9.5* UST V2 Stiff, Sonartec SS-3.5 14* stock stiff, Titleist 503-h 19* NV-Stiff, Srixon I-302 3-PW, Titleist Vokey 52* and 58*

Hi Erik,

My name is Rick and as you can tell I'm new to Golf Wrx and really am just a lurker for the most part for now. I'm new to the golf boards, and I guess relatively new to golf. I'm 27 right now, took up the game when I was 21 and within 2 years shot even par on a muni. I'm self-taught and was such a good teacher I peaked when I shot that even par. I took a few years off from golf as life got in the way and now I'm playing seriously again for the last year or so.

Since I'm having such a good time talking about myself, let me describe my "swing". I have a SS of 110 (but according to my Speed Stik it's 122-125), with a compact backswing and a lot of lag. I could probably swing faster but I try to not fall down as it can be embarassing.

My current bag is an R5 Tour 9.5* w/ Evolution S (thinking about tipping or an X), Sonartec 2.5 14* w/ GD Purple Ice X, TM Rescue Mid (aka Mr. Hook), Nike Pro Combo w/ 6.0 TFR, Nike Forged Wedges, should I even put a putter?

I think I'd be a good reviewer because I'd be honest. I don't have any predisposed notions about one brand over another and play what I like and can afford. Besides, I'm an English major who doesn't teach, so I'd like to use my major at least once before I die.

Thanks for just the chance of being a tester, I enjoyed just writing this.

Rick

P.S. If I do get picked could I be one of the last testers because I had to sell a kidney for the R5 and I'm still recovering.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0

How do you like the UST V2 in your driver? Just put a V2 in my 3wd, having a hard time pulling the GD Pershing I have in my driver. Great article in the May 2006, Golf Digest page 166. It is all about GIR and putting, this should help lower your handicap.

Me and a couple of the guys in the office played Torrey Pines on Saturday and this article really makes sense when you hit greens and putt well.

Good Luck,

Erik

I really like the way the way the V2 feels. It is very smooth and responsive at the same time. I feel like the entire shaft is working through the swing. What I mean is that with most shafts I can feel the kick point through the swing, but with the V2 it feels very consistant through its lenght. It really reminds me of swinging a piece of bamboo. It has a very organic feel.

Thanks for the recommendation on the article. I read that article a couple of weeks ago and have adjusted my practice accordingly. GIR is definitely the key to scoring. A friend of mine recommended reading some books on golf course design, particularly Alister Mackenzie's book. I just picked it up the other day and really haven't gotten an opertunity to get into it but I can see where it will teach me a lot about course management.

- Pete

Good Luck,

Erik

I really like the way the way the V2 feels. It is very smooth and responsive at the same time. I feel like the entire shaft is working through the swing. What I mean is that with most shafts I can feel the kick point through the swing, but with the V2 it feels very consistant through its lenght. It really reminds me of swinging a piece of bamboo. It has a very organic feel.

Thanks for the recommendation on the article. I read that article a couple of weeks ago and have adjusted my practice accordingly. GIR is definitely the key to scoring. A friend of mine recommended reading some books on golf course design, particularly Alister Mackenzie's book. I just picked it up the other day and really haven't gotten an opertunity to get into it but I can see where it will teach me a lot about course management.

- Pete

eric,

I copuldnt agree more with philly pete. I started by putting an 86g V2 in my 3 wood and loved it. It is a smooth shaft with loads of kick. I like how it helps keep your ball flight down. IMHO i belive it is the best shaft on the market, i am done paying the $250 extra for a fuji 757 or a diamana. V2 is my new favorite shaft. I put a 76g V2 in my 905R 9/5* and couldnt be happier.

]

Dan Charen.....aka...goose

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

Wow, this contest is a great idea! Thanks Golfwrx and Sonartec for this opportunity.

Hey, my name is Brian, I am 19, and just finished up my freshman year at Carnegie Mellon University (the real CMU). I play off a 7, and want to get it below a 5 this summer, as my driver, short irons, and putting are starting to peak (waiting on the short game to be real consistent).

I was able to go to Golf Galaxy quite a bit, and had my swing speed clocked between 100-105, and this would put me right between and R/S (so I would go in whichever group needed people).

I am currently play a TM Rescue Mid 19*, and fight a hook with that club, especially off the deck. I am looking for something that sets up more squarely, and the Sonartec definitely seems to do that, from what I've hit of it, it felt like a player's hybrid, which I am looking for.

Also in my bag:

Nike SQ 10.5 w/ Accuflex Acculaunch 70S

Tour Edge Lift-Off Hyper Steel 16.5 w/ ProLaunch 75R

TM Rescue Mid 19* w/ Stock Stiff (Come on Sonartec, Come on Sonartec)

Golfsmith Tour Cavity 4-PW w/ Rifle 6.0

Golfsmith Tour Cavity AW w/ S300

Vokey 56-12, and Vokey Spin Milled 60-04

Scotty Cameron Newport Mid Slant w/ 3X Black finish and custom Paint.

My SS is between 100 and 105, with a quicker tempo, which means I would be better suited with S, but if the R group needs more people, I would be happy to hit an R. I struggle with losing the angle in my left arm, and coming down steep on the ball, but I am working on it. I have an aggressive tempo, and a full weight shift through the ball.

I am looking for a club to avoid the hook, and I feel the Sonartec will be able to help me do that, and I will post a kick-@$$ review of it.

Thanks,

Brian Weinstein

Hello, my name is Sam Blenden and I would love the opportunity to try one of the new hybrids from Sonartec. I am 36 years old and have been playing seriously for about the last 10 years. I currently play to a 4 with the following bag set-up:

TM R7 425 Stiff RE*AX shaft

TM R7 Steel 3 Wood 15

Nike Forged Blades - S400

Nike 53 & 58

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Tel

Let me know if you need any other information. I would like to try the club with the stiff shaft if at all possible. Thanks for the opportunity to try out this club.

Hello Erik,

I am Jared Willerson, a 30 year old male with 7 handicap. I have purchased and used the SS-03 13* 3-wood and 16* 4-wood in the past and am a big fan of Sonartec products.

My swing profile is a constant work in progress, however, I swing the club on an uprightish plane and tend to use my body, instead of my hands and arms throughout the swing. A poor man's David Toms if you like, but I do compress the ball pretty well and hit my share of fairways and greens. Swing speed is 105 - 110 with a driver and I average carry around 245.

I would enjoy the experience of reviewing and testing the Sonartec MD.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Greetings,

My name is Duke and when engineers conceived the idea for the hybrid they had me in mind. I am 35 and was at best a wannabe athlete back in the day, and at worst a weekend warrior. Unfortunately age, ankle injuries, and an additional 40 lbs has robbed me of what little athletic propensity I had for the game. When I could play golf with vigor I carried my 3 iron 210 yards and often used my irons off the tee on most holes. Nowadays my 5 iron carry rivals my 4 iron, and when I do decide to carry a 3 iron it’s mostly reserved as my punch-shot- under- branches club.

I also happen to be a marketers dream when targeting audiences for new products. I believe that properly fit equipment can help mask shortcomings in my swing. I believe that new products must be better than older products, because "hey they’re new"! I have disposable income, and have disposed of much of it on a quixotic quest for the grail of clubs.

I would like to be considered for the test because despite my wanderlust I have never ventured to Sonartec pastures. I’ve always associated the name with skilled players and not game improvement. At 5’ 10” I am pretty much average height and at mid 90s mph probably average profile for clubhead speed. I have a 17 index, again near the average, so that would probably make me fairly representative of most golf manufacturers targeted audience.

My current bag has a 9.5° driver, and I am on the verge of carrying as many woods/hybrids as irons. I currently have a 15° 3 wood and 19° hybrid in the bag and most of the times stubbornly carry 3-PW. I recently bought a 16.5° 4 wood and 21° 7 wood as possible ways to increase my lost distances with the long irons. If ever there was someone in need of a 190 to 210 yard club that would allow me to consolidate a wood and long iron to make room for an extra wedge in the bag it would be me.

Hello

I am Jack Nelson and i don't know if this competition will be open to me because i am in Northern Ireland but as i would LOVE to recieve a sonartec MD i will give it a go.

I love this game and i have been playing since i was 9 years old. Now i am 16. I play off a handicap of 9 (GUI which is about a 5 index USGA). I play at least 2ce a week and now that the days are getting longer 3 days a week (i am still at school). I have only hit a few sonartec fairway woods and i love the flight.

In my bag i have a titleist 905T with a NV 65 Stiff shaft. I have a mizuno blue rage 3 wood with a stiff shaft. I have got 735.CM titleist irons with s200 shafts. I have a nickent 3dx rescue 20 degree with a stiff shaft. I carry titleist wedges with wedge flex and a scotty cameron putter. I would say that my swing speed is about 90 MPH and i don't have a fast tempo jus nice and smooth!

I would love to hit the sonartec MD because i have seen it before and i loved the look of it. Also i would like to see how it compares to different rescue woods that i have hit. With the shafts that i have at the moment and the way that they are working for me at the minute i would say that i would fit into the "stiff" carogory.

I would greatly appreciate this oppurtunity.

Thanks

Jack

P.S can anyone tell me if this competition is open to residents of the UK?