• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

same here

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

Site works for me now, too.

Looking at the fees involved here, what are you getting for all of this extra money? I see a vague mention that a "Tour card on average costs between $85.00 and $100 per year." And the cost of the tournaments seems to be about double the green fees of the courses where the event is being played.
Where does this extra cash go? Prizes? Giveaways? Tournament organizer's pocket?

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

for us the membership pretty much involved getting a tour card( this get us discounts on the courses that we play touraments at on non-touney rounds.) I estimate that i save about $150 a year showing this at area courses. Practice rounds before the tourneys are about $25 or so. We also get a nice Antigua Shirt, Hat and other various trinkets. So it does hurt to pay a membership fee before the 1st tourney, but the savings over the year are worth it.

At the Tournements in our area the fees are about $20-$25 over the rack rate. But you get the range and opportunity into the prize pool, in my area that can be $200-$250 if you win in your flight, and we pack back to 4 places for each flight. We also have closest to the pins on all the Par 3' that are about $25 in diffent gift cards and such. At each event we have snacks, tees and ball markers provided.

I feel it is a good deal and yes, the director has to put some cash in his pocket, or why would he want to do it.

[quote name='Tiger Jr.' date='05 March 2010 - 03:02 PM' timestamp='1267819379' post='2295330']
Site works for me now, too.

Looking at the fees involved here, what are you getting for all of this extra money? I see a vague mention that a "Tour card on average costs between $85.00 and $100 per year." And the cost of the tournaments seems to be about double the green fees of the courses where the event is being played.
Where does this extra cash go? Prizes? Giveaways? Tournament organizer's pocket?
[/quote]

I paid $80 to join the tour. Then I pay between $65-85, for the tourneys I choose to enter into. For the record, on most of the course that the Tour I am playing in, the green fees would be about the same whether I was playing in the Tour event or not. And in some cases, the green fee's would be quite a bit higher if I could even get on some of the courses, as we do play on several totally private clubs.

But the tour join fee, I would say that is like joining any type of league or organization, its their money and I pay for the ability to play in a organized event, at least that is how I take it or look at it.

Each of the events on tour, the tourneys have flights and each flight generally pays out some sort of gift card for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and the larger flights do pay to 4th and 5th.

For instance, on the last event I played, which was the Triad tour's first official event, I played in the B flight, they paid out walmart gift cards to 5th place in the B flight. I believe that 1st thru 3rd was paid on Championship, A, flights and thru 5th place on the B, C flights. I am not sure on the D flight.

If I am not mistaken, 1st place was worth $250-300 depending on the flight, 2nd paid $175 and 3rd $150..... I am not entirely certain, because the amounts flex with the amount of people in the flight.

As far as where the money goes, I don't think anybody is getting ripped off or that any of the organizers are getting rich off of us.

In my area, I did look into the Golf Channel Am tour, the fee's were much higher and they don't seem to have hardly near the amount of people playing in the events for what thats worth. Plus the Golf Channel tour only had a couple events available vs the Egolf Am tour has a event almost every single weekend.

I hope this helps in the questions you asked.

Yes DeanNC hit on some other points that I didn't even think of.....we too in the tour I play in get to play practice rounds before the tourney for $25-35 depending on the course. We too receive a golf shirt, hat, and divot tool.

Plus there are Lance Snacks available for free at the sign in table.

Bottom line for me.... I could care less about the shirt, hat, snacks or what not.... last year was the first time I played this tour. If I didn't like it or if it wasn't fun competitive for me I wouldn't come back. I came back 25 times and resigned for this year.

I Have met and played with some great guys who are out there looking to have some fun and compete against guys of similar skill levels.

Good info guys -- sounds like the tours in your area are better established and a better deal than in Michigan, at least at first glance. They have two events scheduled so far in MI, and the first is in early April at Pheasant Run in Canton, which is near my house. At that time, the course still isn't in great shape, and they're definitely still on spring rates. Resident rates during summer are $50, and I think they usually do $35 or $30 for spring rates. The tournament is $80, which seems pretty excessive for that time of year.
The second is at Eagle Eye near East Lansing, and that is $130. The weekend rate at that time of year is $89, so I guess that's not too terribly high.

I'd definitely want to see some other events on the schedule and the cost for those tournaments before paying for a card. I'd love to do something like this to play some regular tournaments, but it would need to be cost effective.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='OneBowTie' date='05 March 2010 - 03:32 PM' timestamp='1267821158' post='2295386']they paid out walmart gift cards[/quote]
This would be a negative, in my eyes. HATE wal-mart.

[quote name='Tiger Jr.' date='05 March 2010 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1267824356' post='2295483']
Good info guys -- sounds like the tours in your area are better established and a better deal than in Michigan, at least at first glance. They have two events scheduled so far in MI, and the first is in early April at Pheasant Run in Canton, which is near my house. At that time, the course still isn't in great shape, and they're definitely still on spring rates. Resident rates during summer are $50, and I think they usually do $35 or $30 for spring rates. The tournament is $80, which seems pretty excessive for that time of year.
The second is at Eagle Eye near East Lansing, and that is $130. The weekend rate at that time of year is $89, so I guess that's not too terribly high.

I'd definitely want to see some other events on the schedule and the cost for those tournaments before paying for a card. I'd love to do something like this to play some regular tournaments, but it would need to be cost effective.
[/quote]

I see your point..... I think the more events offered, the better the bargain the tour becomes.

as for the walmart card, every tour is different, I have seen golf store gift cards

I actually don't mind the walmart card at all.... If I cash, I can simply give it to the wife and let her use it.... that way she will tell me to go play more often and give her the cards!!!!

I have had some cash's in the events, but honestly, I would still play the tour events if they didn't offer any prizes, I like the competitions and they have helped me improve my game.... as well as I have met many different people on the tour that I now play golf with and that is priceless!!!

In our area, they used to do pga superstore giftcards, and now they do visa debit cards. So you can buy whatever you want.

To give some insight into the costs....... $70 for the year versus something like $200 for the gcat. $70 gets you a shirt and ability to play any of the tour events anywhere in the country for the year. For each tournament, the total fees basically are a negotiated rate with the course for green fees, cart, and range balls, $20 to the prize pool, and then approx. another $15 for expenses like crystal trophies for each winner, printed scoresheets, printed cart signs, bottled water, etc. and a small profit to the tour director. These guys are probably making about one dollar per hour when you figure in all the work - personally I am very happy that they choose to do it. You can do the entire year, about 15 tournaments, for around $1300 on average. The better players will win $200 to $600 of that back.

[quote name='atlanta golfer' date='05 March 2010 - 07:17 PM' timestamp='1267834670' post='2295778']
In our area, they used to do pga superstore giftcards, and now they do visa debit cards. So you can buy whatever you want.

To give some insight into the costs....... $70 for the year versus something like $200 for the gcat. $70 gets you a shirt and ability to play any of the tour events anywhere in the country for the year. For each tournament, the total fees basically are a negotiated rate with the course for green fees, cart, and range balls, $20 to the prize pool, and then approx. another $15 for expenses like crystal trophies for each winner, printed scoresheets, printed cart signs, bottled water, etc. and a small profit to the tour director. These guys are probably making about one dollar per hour when you figure in all the work - personally I am very happy that they choose to do it. You can do the entire year, about 15 tournaments, for around $1300 on average. The better players will win $200 to $600 of that back.
[/quote]

all good points that most of us take for granted...... our tour directors here in NC do a super job of having a PROFESSIONAL SCOREBOARD..... we do have printed cart signs.....and we do get the use of the range ..... and all flight winners do get a crystal mug for wins on top of the gift cards......

I think in order for the tour's to be attractive, they need to have so many events available. I doubt that I would play on tour if less then 10 events were available.

I do not begrudge any of the tour directors. They do put in alot of work for the enjoyment of the tour players. I have watched how the tour directors get there on event day hours early and set the scoreboards, snacks, and organize the carts and so forth. Not too mention, how many days each week they have to deal with the preregistrations and cancelations. I can only imagine how many calls they get a day asking the normal questions, and that does not count the probably not so normal questions.

I'm sure that there are always some that only play these tours to cash in on the gift cards..... but my experience is that most play the tour like they would a bowling league or whatever, they play because they enjoy it and enjoy what the tours offer.....

[quote name='Dean NC' date='06 March 2010 - 12:03 AM' timestamp='1267851828' post='2296252']
yes they are 18 hole events.
In my area we have three local majors that are 2 day 36 hole events and the national tour chamionship is a 2 day 36 hole event. I heard a rumor that it may be a 54 hole event in the future.

[/quote]

I was told that this years tour championship is actually now a 3 day event 54 holes

Just checked this out for the first time and wow, I'm surprised about how good it looks. Unfortuantly, if I played, I'm competitive so I would want to play in every tourny to rack up points. BUT.....I can't pencil in every other weekend especially in the summer and the last 3 weeks don't work out well with the college football schedule. Also, it does seem a bit high as pretty much every event is at least 30$ higher than rack rate. But, considering how well everything is run, I'm sure it would be worth it if you could commit to every tourny. I'll keep an eye out for it next year.

[quote name='dberry90210' date='06 March 2010 - 12:32 AM' timestamp='1267853535' post='2296285']
Just checked this out for the first time and wow, I'm surprised about how good it looks. Unfortuantly, if I played, I'm competitive so I would want to play in every tourny to rack up points. BUT.....I can't pencil in every other weekend especially in the summer and the last 3 weeks don't work out well with the college football schedule. Also, it does seem a bit high as pretty much every event is at least 30$ higher than rack rate. But, considering how well everything is run, I'm sure it would be worth it if you could commit to every tourny. I'll keep an eye out for it next year.
[/quote]

I guess if you like to play competitive golf with great organization that does offer up prizes and skins games with other like wise competitors, you may not mind what I have found to be a minimal charge to be able to participate in such events. I understand you on the wanting to get every point you can. I too last year had no intention of playing in all or most of the events, but after the very first event, I did enjoy it so much and liked the CHASE so to speak, that I ended up playing almost every single event. Warning, it is addicting

[quote name='NCSergio' date='12 March 2010 - 04:55 PM' timestamp='1268430953' post='2312110']
I'm playing in my first eGolf tour event this Saturday in Columbia, SC. I have played in several amateur tours around and I'll give a full review after this tourney. Good luck to all teeing it up and getting those competitive juices flowing!
[/quote]
Hey good luck and have fun. I can't wait for tomorrow myself, we have been rained in here this week, and tomorrow's forecast is better.

Looking forward to reading your review.

Some guy in the A flight (4-9 handicap) shot 116 on the Asheville tour last week. How is that even possible?? Don't give me the injury excuse, because if you are hurt so bad that you are shooting 35-40 shots above what you should shoot, then you shouldn't be playing. It's amazing what tournament golf does to some people. I know all about having a bad day, but come on!!

[quote name='Tmiller72' date='12 March 2010 - 05:17 PM' timestamp='1268432256' post='2312140']
Some guy in the A flight (4-9 handicap) shot 116 on the Asheville tour last week. How is that even possible?? Don't give me the injury excuse, because if you are hurt so bad that you are shooting 35-40 shots above what you should shoot, then you shouldn't be playing. It's amazing what tournament golf does to some people. I know all about having a bad day, but come on!!
[/quote]

I am not sticking up for whomever shot 116 in the A flight..... BUT.... it can happen to the best of us.

I know that last week the tour I played.... almost everyone in every flight had higher then normal scores. The weather was fine, the course conditions were good..... simply the course played hard for almost everyone.... then add in the fact that tournament jitters can be tough to deal with sometimes, I can actually see it happening every now and then.

Crap I didn't know that would be public knowledge... black%20eye.gif

Crap I didn't know that would be public knowledge... black%20eye.gif

Ha!

That 116 is a little strange. Every now and then you see someone who insists on playing a flight or two above their heads, for whatever reason. But I haven't seen anything that extreme before, and this is my 4th year on the egolf tour. The limit is tripple bogie, so you can't shoot hgher than 126 even if you pick up on every single hole! I just dunno, maybe he had an extra club or two in his bag and they found out at the end of the round????

[quote name='Tmiller72' date='12 March 2010 - 05:17 PM' timestamp='1268432256' post='2312140']
[/quote]

Wow talk about a vanity handicap. I really can't believe that is even possible. I am about as terrible a tournament player as exists, I am easily 5 strokes worse on even my home course in a tournament, but I couldn't go over 100 with a sprained back. ( I know because I shot a 95 in a tournament where I could barely walk). I have posted three really terrible tournament scores off of a handicap between 3-5, one was the 95 when I was injured and should have WD, one was a 91 where I just had the worst day on record, and the other was a shaky hands 90 where I three jacked 9 times and 4 putted once.

This is actually the reason I like playing tournament golf though, I only started playing the game about 3 years ago and I am enjoying learning how to play my normal game with tournament pressure, I just get way to amped up though sometimes. I am getting better though it seems like at least 50% of the tournament rounds I play now seem like my normal game. I assume if I keep doing it I will start playing my normal game most of the time.

Short of being literally shot while on the course I have no idea how to even get up to 116 shots assuming you have played enough golf to establish a single digit handicap.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Played in the Columbia event today and had a great time. I visited my swing coach Tuesday and tweeked my swing and, boy, I had NO IDEA where the club was during my swing today. Came around on the back nine but still not a score worth posting.

As for the event itself, it was fun, not great. I got pushed up from my original tee time which really screwed with my pre-round prep and of course, my head. The course was in good shape considering the rain we just got. The tourney setup was ok - check in in the grill area and get your pre-printed scorecards (nice touch). They also had a free drawing for some prizes which was nice as well. I'll definitely play in as many tournaments as I can because I'm a competition junkie but don't expect to be blown away by the "tournament feel." On a scale of 1/10, I'd give it a 6.5. The prices aren't outrageous and it IS competitive golf.

"Excuses are the nails that build the house of failure."

NCSergio..... glad to hear you had a good time.

I hope you didn't get the rain we got on our back nine today.

I wish I could blame my score on something..... but the facts are, I simply suck when hitting on soaking wet dormant conditions.

Non the less..... I can't wait to get back out next week and do it all over again.

I hope you find that swing you and the coach are working on..... good luck and keep us posted on your events