Practice Green Sand/Chipping Etiquette

Especially the sand....
The local course I practice at has an all in one practice green with putting, chipping, and a bunker..... Today was the second time I've seen someone nearly brained by someone practicing bunker shots while there are others on the green. The first time, I almost got hit (I stepped back to watch the guy hit because I was scared, and rightfully so), and today some poor guy stretching just off the green had the scare of his life as the ball bounced off his cart and bag.

Basically, was I in the wrong for forcing the guys in the bunker (on both accounts) to stop their practice after their wild shots? I just don't think that someone should practice from the sand when there are people on the green. The green is decent sized, so occasionally if I'm the only one there and someone is in the bunker I stay away, but I worry the whole time. BTW, you can turn around and hit out onto the range, but you need to use range balls.

As for chipping, I'm less concerned unless someone sets up 20 or so yards out. I've got nothing against short chips when others are there and able to space out, but there's always "that guy" who wants to practice long pitches or flop shots and blades one or two across the surface.

So what are your thoughts on etiquette on the practice green? Do folks putting deserve to putt in peace or is it every man for himself?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is responsible for their own actions. Therefore the onus is on the individual for not hitting a shot that will potentially harm other players nearby. There seems little risk of harming anyone with a putt, but the potential to skull a bunker shot and do some damage is pretty high. I'd at least expect the player in question in the bunker to take reasonable care and ensure that nobody is in the way of any shot. Having said that, I'd also ensure that I wasn't in the way of anyone already practicing. Common sense in other words.

Oh man, this is one that bugs me too.

As for your story, I thnk there are a couple of problems. First is the poor design of the practice green - I've skulled a shot and hit someone before, and it's scary. I shouted quickly enough and it hit him in the arm. He was surprisingly cool about it, but I couldn't apologize enough.

Anyhow, I digress. The point of it is, having a setup where it's increasingly likely to hit someone is a very, very bad idea. But that does not excuse the person shooting out of the bunker - it's their shot, after all. If I even came remotely in distance of buzzing your tower, I'd have stopped immediately and apologized profusely. But to keep on going is pure stupidity.

Personally, the thing that bugs me the worst on practice greens is a total lack of etiquette and a failure to see what's going on around you. Putting at the hole someone else is clearly putting at, crossing putt paths because no one's paying attention... that bugs me. But the breach itself isn't what bugs me most - it's the fact that no one ever apologizes. I don't know about you, but if I screw up, the first thing I do is acknowledge that I screwed up, and get out of the way.

Recently, I was at the putting green the other day at the course just down the road. It was Friday, so I knew there would be a lot of people (a case where observing and following etiquette is especially important). The green was pretty much at capacity.

I walk on, and six or seven of the flags are missing. I thought it odd, but figured the course had pulled them early. But no, someone else had, someone who was limited to one or two holes in the green because of the sheer number of people practicing. This person had pulled -way- more flags than they were even using. Now, I understand that a proportion of people choose to practice with the pins out for realism. But their actions forbade me from even having the choice, you know?

Along with that were the usual putt-at-your-hole-after-you've-already-sent-a-ball-there guys. The other major breach was on the chipping green, where I was alone (at this point, most others had gone home). These two high school kids from the team that was practicing there, while I'm shooting, walk straight across, right through the middle. It wouldn't be a big deal if it were a large green, but this one's particularly small - 25 feet across at most. I just stood there and gave them the "you've gotta be kidding" stare.

And not one of them apologized, or even acknowledged what they'd done. Complete lack of regard for those around you bugs me to no end!

I can't say if you were right or wrong but it is probably better to say something then regretting not saying something and someone getting hurt. If it was a newbie hopefully you were nice enough not to scare them off and if they should have known better I hope you woke them up.

I usually don't say anything but wish I could sometimes. I hate it when guys practice chipping & putting at our pitching range just because it is close to the 1st tee box. If no one else is around that is fine but when someone shows up or is already there don't just walk in front of them!:diablo:. I have to admit I've fired at the pin when someone did this to me but I made sure he was looking, unfortunately it didn't bother him and he just went about his business. I got mad and left, wish I could have said something but it wouldn't have been good so I kept my mouth shut.

I live just a couple of minutes from a public (municipal) course, so I often will head up to their chipping and putting greens to practice (especially since my daughter has come along, since I don't get to play as much as I used to). I am always amazed at just how clueless and inconsiderate some of the people that practice there can be. If someone is doing something dangerous, I think you have to say something (and I have no problem doing it). The tough calls for me are when someone is not doing anything dangerous, but just seem to think they are the only person there. My personal "favorites" are the guys that show up with a full shag bag and proceed to fill up the chipping green with 40 balls, despite the fact that 3-4 other people are trying to practice as well.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

I think the most important thing is that people need to distinguish between a chipping/bunker area and a putting green. The place I practice has both and they are clearly distinguishable. Without fail, I'll be 20 yds off the green hitting pitches to a hole and someone decides they want to work on their 3 footers (usually scurrying towards the hole as the ball is in the air). If everyone involved has half a brain, no one should be in danger.

Also, if its 1 errant shot, no big deal, 2 errant shots...ok maybe keep an eye on the guy, 3 or more skulls at someone's skull and the guy should NOT be practicing on a crowded short game area. I'm all for letting everyone of all abilities practice ( I for one am no pro for sure), but if your inability to control your short shots puts people in danger, you do NOT have a right to practice in that bunker and should be on the range where only the gophers are in danger. I know if I am having a bad day and skull a few, I leave the short game area out of respect for the people there and go work the kinks out on the range. Again, if everyone had at least half a brain, this wouldn't be an issue.

Short answer, someone posing a danger to others has NO RIGHTS to be in the practice bunker.

I totally agree that someone with a questionable sand game should make perfectly sure there is no one who might get hurt before practicing.

But I'm totally fine with sharing a hole with other players if we're putting, particularly if there are more players looking to practice than there are holes to hit to. I don't even mind if someone sharing the hole I'm putting toward hits my ball as it approaches. It rarely happens, and I'm just warming up or practicing anyway, so whether the ball actually falls in or not isn't critical. I've commonly seen this sort of sharing even at nice clubs, particularly before a member/guest shotgun when there are lots of people warming up at the same time.

Basically I'm for saftey, and then cool with whatever else.

[quote name='highergr0und' date='07 March 2010 - 11:40 AM' timestamp='1267987251' post='2299485']
So what are your thoughts on etiquette on the practice green? Do folks putting deserve to putt in peace or is it every man for himself?
[/quote]

Unfortunate that there is only one green for both putting and chipping.

I would think that etiquette and common sense would lead one to NOT practice bunker shots (or long pitch shots) if someone is on the green putting.

Given that most every golfer using the course will want to practice a few putts before starting out, that pretty much renders the green useless for practicing bunker shots. If I wanted to practice long pitches/bunker shots, I would look for a course that had a separate green.