2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Any Help Choosing a Set of Hogan Forged Irons?

Looking for info about different Hogan iron sets.
Hi guys, I’ve floated around this forum a little this year as I’m considering playing some old forged clubs this season. Although I’m an 8 handicap it’s mostly my short game that keeps me from scoring. Until about 3 years ago I used to play a set of 1982 Golden Ram Tour Grinds. They are still in pretty nice shape, but I think I might be looking to have them re-finished. Over the last few years I’ve been changing my swing from Vijay Singh style ‘hitter’ to Hogan style ‘swinger’ and have grown a new appreciation for ‘the Hawk’. In doing a little research I’ve discovered that Hogan’s demands for quality control probably produced the best player’s clubs of the day. It probably explains why almost all of the better player at my home club used to play Hogan forged irons in the 70’s, when I was a teenager and used to help out in the pro shop.

So my question to you who are experienced at playing more of these Hogan forged ‘player’s clubs’, is which set of forged Apex irons might be the best buy? I’m currently looking at a nice set of ‘PCs’ though I’ve also noticed that some of you like the ‘Red Line’. Since buying a set of used clubs off of EBay is a challenge since you don’t get to try them and you have to judge condition by pictures, any feedback about the pros & cons of each would be helpful.

Thanks,
Kent

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are lots of good irons in the older Hogan Apex lines.

My own favourites are the mid '80s PCs, but they may not be everyone's cup of tea as they tend to promote a flatter, lower flight than most of the other irons in the Apex line. That suits me, and I love the clean lines and the compact look of that model.

The Redlines, which followed on from the PCs and date back to the late '80s, are also a nice set. Squarer, and with a slightly larger face and bulkier look at address, they produce a higher flight than the PCs and offer a bit of extra forgiveness versus their forebears. The toe shape is a bit odd though, and not to everyone's taste.

After that came the Apex Grind, recognisable by a sandblasted section on the back of the blade which, to me, played very similarly to the Redlines.

The Apex Forged came next, with the characteristic 'staggered' toe muscle. Very nice irons with a more traditional shape that omitted the pronounced square toe of the Redlines and the Apex Grinds. A more rounded profile and an excellent iron.

You're then into the era of the 'Channelback' Apex irons, and the MP-32/Callaway blade-esque mini cavity in the rear of the club. Good irons again, and quite forgiving, even if the Hogan purists turned their nose up at the then-unconventional design.

The late '90s incarnation of the Apex was a muscleback design with a tiered muscle. Again, quite a pleasing, rounded toe shape, and a solid set of irons.

Really, you can't go wrong with any of the sets. Pick the ones that suit your eye and, if you can find some to have a go with, the ones that give you the flight and feel you're after, and away you go. They're all of excellent quality and feature some of the most fastidious craftsmanship and tightest tolerances in the business. As an aside, many sets that you come across will be fitted with Hogan's proprietary Apex shaft. It's very similar to a TT Dynalite Gold (some say it's the same shaft) which is quite a different beast to, say, a Dynamic Gold, in that it's softer and geared towards a higher flight. 3, 4 and 5 flexes roughly translate to R, S and X respectively. It's one thing to bear in mind when you're Apex shopping.

A set of Apex irons represents one of the best bargains around, and the irons themselves are still top notch and perfectly playable. Best of luck with your search.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

I have a couple of sets of Hogan's. GREAT irons!!! If you want a cheaper

experiment, I have a set for sale here:

http://www.golfwrx.c...1entry2348615

Good luck.drinks.gif

Man your avatar is funny. I have to admit that I found that style of the last few years of Hogan irons very attractive. Can anyone comment on how they play compared to the older Hogan forged Apex irons? That price is tempting as well, though I'm in Calgary, Canada, so not sure how that affects your price with shipping. smile.gif

There are lots of good irons in the older Hogan Apex lines.

My own favourites are the mid '80s PCs, but they may not be everyone's cup of tea as they tend to promote a flatter, lower flight than most of the other irons in the Apex line. That suits me, and I love the clean lines and the compact look of that model.

The Redlines, which followed on from the PCs and date back to the late '80s, are also a nice set. Squarer, and with a slightly larger face and bulkier look at address, they produce a higher flight than the PCs and offer a bit of extra forgiveness versus their forebears. The toe shape is a bit odd though, and not to everyone's taste.

After that came the Apex Grind, recognisable by a sandblasted section on the back of the blade which, to me, played very similarly to the Redlines.

The Apex Forged came next, with the characteristic 'staggered' toe muscle. Very nice irons with a more traditional shape that omitted the pronounced square toe of the Redlines and the Apex Grinds. A more rounded profile and an excellent iron.

You're then into the era of the 'Channelback' Apex irons, and the MP-32/Callaway blade-esque mini cavity in the rear of the club. Good irons again, and quite forgiving, even if the Hogan purists turned their nose up at the then-unconventional design.

The late '90s incarnation of the Apex was a muscleback design with a tiered muscle. Again, quite a pleasing, rounded toe shape, and a solid set of irons.

Really, you can't go wrong with any of the sets. Pick the ones that suit your eye and, if you can find some to have a go with, the ones that give you the flight and feel you're after, and away you go. They're all of excellent quality and feature some of the most fastidious craftsmanship and tightest tolerances in the business. As an aside, many sets that you come across will be fitted with Hogan's proprietary Apex shaft. It's very similar to a TT Dynalite Gold (some say it's the same shaft) which is quite a different beast to, say, a Dynamic Gold, in that it's softer and geared towards a higher flight. 3, 4 and 5 flexes roughly translate to R, S and X respectively. It's one thing to bear in mind when you're Apex shopping.

A set of Apex irons represents one of the best bargains around, and the irons themselves are still top notch and perfectly playable. Best of luck with your search.

Wow, awesome post. Really good information and very much what I was looking for, thanks. I have a high ball flight despite the recent changes to my swing, so the PCs sound like a decent fit. It was actually the style of the muscle or mid weighting of the PC irons that had me a little concerned about how they might play. I fully understand that they might be a little harder to hit than my present cavity back clubs, but I never really had any trouble hitting my Rams. One of the reasons I wanted an older set of clubs was to get back to the old grooves and to experience the clubs that were built when Mr. Hogan was still with the company. Thanks again for your post, you must have been quite the 'club ho' to have gained so much experience. wink.gif

I picked up a set of Grinds on here late last year. Best thing that ever happened to my game. Now they are square toe and probably not for everyone, but I like them. I have been wanting to try a set of redlines after hearing people rave about them on here.

There is actually a set of redlines on ebay that I emailed the seller about. Look to be pretty good shape, stiff shafts and all matching serials. $100, i dont think you can beat that.

I also picked up a set of medallions last year on here for almost next to nothing. Only problem with them is they are regular shafts. i have been contemplating buying a set of Apex 4 shafts for them off ebay, but they look so good and have all matching numbers, I sorta hate to do it. I love the way they look at address. They are awesome.

I have been keeping an eye out for a newer set of channel or musclebacks. People seem to want more than I think they are worth, but I know the right deal will come along.

I will never hit anything but forged clubs again. Good luck

Driver

4wd

Hybrid

4-A irons

50,54,58 wedges

Putter

mat562, I want to thank you again for your previous post.

Based on the infomation you gave above, I purchased a set of Hogan Apex PCs with Apex 4 shafts, on eBay a little over a week ago and they arrived yesterday. They are almost new, almost no bag chatter or face wear. Shaft bands almost look new and I'm sure the grips are original, a little dried out and slick so I'll need to replace them. I've always loved the classic small heads with the thin top lines and I never realized how much offset there was on my SMT CB2 irons, which don't have as much offset as most.

I took them to the range tonight for a little trial run and I'm trilled to say that I have a new/old set of gamers. The first few full shots with the wedge instantly put a smile on my face that didn't leave all night. I hit them straighter than my cavity back irons and though I hit quite a few chunky & thin (its still early in the season here and I'm still shaking some rust off) yet I never hit one that stung. Most of them took off like rockets and I didn't have any trouble getting them almost as high as my cavity backs. I think one of the things that was helping me hit them straighter was the minimal offset. The set has a 2 iron which I didn't take to the range, but I hit the 3 iron on a string.

I was so jazzed that I had to post here to thank you again for your very informative post. Now I can hardly wait for the season to really get started so I can get out there and really put these irons through their paces. yahoo.gif

Good to hear that you've picked up what sounds like a lovely set and also that you're getting on with them. Finding some PCs in that sort of condition is an absolutely cracking stroke of luck.

Hogan irons were very popular back when I was younger and there were always plenty of people bagging them and thus opportunities to try them out. An old team mate of mine played a set of PCs for years, back when we played junior and youth golf, and I always enjoyed dipping into his bag and having a knock with his irons when we did some practice together. Lovely irons with a beautiful compact look to them and of absolutely tip-top quality. If I hadn't been so happy with my old Mizunos of the time I'd have probably bagged a set of PCs myself.

Glad to have been a bit of help. Best of luck with your new irons and with your golf.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2