2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway FT-3 Review (Retail Tour and Regular)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A month or 2 ago, I was in the market for a new driver. I demoed 4 drivers, outside:

1)905R 9.5* w/ a UST V2 65 stiff

2)905S 8.5* with a NV 75 stiff, a

3)Bridgestone J33 460 9.5* w/ a NV 65 stiff

4)Callaway Fusion FT-3 Tour 9.5 Neutral w/ a NV 65 stiff (my eventual choice obviously)

My specs: 103-107 ss, smooth tempo, a very high-launching swing as I tend to add loft to the clubface at impact; I was looking for a club that would launch it low for me even when I really went after it

Ballflight:

1)A touch higher than I would like

2)Lower than the 905R, I could definitely live with this trajectory

3)About the same as the 905S

4)Maybe a hair lower than the 905S and the J33, very boring trajectory

Distance(carry):

1)The shortest of the bunch, possibly due to the higher ballflight, but still not overly short

2)Longer than the 905R, lots of roll

3)Very long when I nutted it, lots of roll

4)The longest of all, even when not hit absolutely square, plenty of roll

Feel:

1)I had not hit a Titleist driver until now, and WOW, what a great, solid feeling

2)I thought this even had a better feel than the 905R, probably due to the NV shaft versus the V2

3)Good solid feel, but nothing that made me too excited

4)When I hit this solid, I just had to pause and reflect how absolutely amazing that shot felt, just perfect, like I was hitting air

Workability:

1)Least workable of the four

2)Very workable, fade or draw

3)Not as workable as the 905S, but good enough

4)Quite workable for a 460 cc head, not as much as the 905S, but more than the J33

Overall:

1)Solid club for another player, but not me

2)Great club, but didnt chose it because the other 2 were much more forgiving

3)Almost chose this club, but I just liked the Fusion too much

4)Powerful, thats how I would describe this club, when I pured it, it went 15 yds farther than any shot with the other drivers

I dont want this to sound like an ad for the Fusion and that the 905R is a piece of crap, but this is just what I felt ad I hope this helps you in your search.

-Kyle"

Appearance:

By now many of you have seen the FT-3, and respectively, Callaway has kept their original head shape dating back to the original Fusion driver. Depending on whether one picks the Retail 'Tour' head, or the regular head, there are slight differences. The Tour does not have the 'V' alignment aid, where the standard model does. With my preference, I liked the 'Tour' head, having a 0.5º open face angle made for a solid looking 460cc head (not even close to appearing closed). When one first sets either model on the ground, it appears to be elongated front to back, but it is not a problem if you are used to hitting big-headed drivers. The surprising thing was, that when I first hit this head about a year ago, I asked the rep whether it was ~400cc, but to my surprise these heads hide the 460cc size VERY well. The paint scheme is a solid black, and the 'fused' part of the face-to-composite was not very noticeable after you hit it for a while.

Ball flight:

First off, these drivers are LONG. The opti-fit center is AWESOME! I was able to find a head that I liked, and then hit all different shafts I wanted to dial in a ball flight. With the FT-3 head and the option to get the Fade-Neutral-Draw heads, you can get pretty much any ball flight you desire. Overall, the FT-3 is a low launch head, so a lot of people at the demo day were having to go up a degree, but in reality, find a head you like, and then work with the different shafts to tamper ball flight.

Feel:

This is a win or lose situation. Lots of people hit one shot with the FT-3 and are immediately turned off by the sound. As many of you know, it is a VERY muted head, the epitome of a coke can, aluminum bat, you name it! After hitting about 20 balls with the FT-3 I began to like the sound! So, I suppose if you are really anal and don't like the sound, it may not be for you, but I would hope if you are hitting the ball well with it, you could be able to get used to it pretty quick.

Overall:

Overall, this is a great driver. I liked it so much, I put an order in on the spot for a 9.5º Tour - Neutral with a Fujikura Tour Spec 652. With the virtually unlimited possible combinations for these drivers, it would be pretty hard not to find one that fit your swing. If you have a demo day in your area that Callaway is bringing their opti-fit system, definitely go at least to get an idea of shafts. I loved the idea that once I dialed in a head, I could keep that same exact head and hit any other shaft I wanted (generally, the cart will have Diamanas, various Speeders, and your general stock shafts (V2's, NV's, YS-6's, etc.).

• 1 month later...

I know a guy who has this driver and I've played with him I love the sound of the driver!

it is a VERY muted head, the epitome of a coke can, aluminum bat, you name it! After hitting about 20 balls with the FT-3 I began to like the sound! So, I suppose if you are really anal and don't like the sound, it may not be for you, but I would hope if you are hitting the ball well with it, you could be able to get used to it pretty quick.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the callaway demo guy came to my golf course the other day so I went and was trying out different products. I hit the FT3 retail, 10 degree loft and fusion NVS graphite, and it was a nutruel. I would love to make it my next driver. I hit it so sold. I hit it pretty straight and probably 15 yars farther then my current driver. To say the least if I had the money right now it'd be in my bag. I'd go into more detail but I only hit maybe 5 or 6 balls with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have owned a 9.5 degree Tour with an Aldila NV 65-S for about 9 months now. The appearance is a little strange with the very noticeable divide between the titanium and carbon sections. However the shape is good for a 460cc head and in the 'Tour' version the face is open and there is no alignment aid. In my opinion there is nothing there that is going to ditract you at address. The feel to is very em... "unique". Doesn't feel at all like a titanium driver but you will get accustomised to it very quickly. Especially considering the results. It is long driver but I almost think the X-460 Tour is longer. Where this driver is at it's forte is in accuracy. Since switching I have hit far less BIG hooks than before and I think this driver plays a major part in those results. Another point this head is lower spinning than others out there so shaft selection is key to acheiving the best results.

To conclude this driver is big on performace, like most Callaway drivers. There are a few things that are unusual and need some time to become accustomised to but this is a great driver and finally it's a Callaway driver that will appeal to good players!

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

a good driver that i was hitting a power draw with until i found out that my grip was too strong. Good sound that many people dont like but it seperates this driver from others. It is very long, I have the 10* neutral head with the aldila NVS 55 in stiff flex. First time i brought it to the course, i hit 6 of 7 fairways while gaining at least 5 yards.

<br />2017 M2 10.5 HZRDUS Black<br />2017 M2 HL HZRDUS Black<br /> 910h Tour AD-DI 85<br />P750 4-PW KBS C-Taper<br />Vokey SM-6<br />Edel E-2 Torque Balance<br />

• 1 year later...