2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Sonartec Hybrid MD contest!

joey3108

Hello Gentlemen,

I emailed everyone and confirmed with my shipping department that the call tags have been sent to contestants that currently have the MD's. I'm sorry for the delay I'm doing evetything I can to get these test club to the following people. I just need everyone to understand the importance to communication when shipping and track these clubs.

Thank you for understanding.

Sincerely,

Erik

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I've have now used the 19° Sonartec MD with the X-Flex UST Irod for about 5-6 rounds. First impression was WOW!!!!!! This club is long for a 19°!!! I was hitting this hybrid well over 250 yards. I'm a fairly high hitter with the long clubs, the MD 19° plays more like a 21° for me. It was unbelievable to see those range balls fly off the face. I think I rolled at least one to the back fence at the range, (that's 280) I don't like to brag about hitting it far, most people don't believe you anyways, but I hit a 19 degree club 280 yards. Maybe it was dry out, maybe the ocean breeze carried it for me, but that is still pretty dang far!!!

Looks:

At first I wasn't too fond of the look. I tend to like round looking clubs more than square-ish ones. I am not a fan or the new Square Drivers, Ping Irons, etc. The MD has that square toe to heel look. I thought for sure it would be a hook machine for me. The shaft looked awesome!!! I definelty like the look of the Irod's with the graphite showing through. And a Golfwrx.com logo! Are you kidding me!?! That thing was awesome. I added a GP Dual Durameter grip to the club.

From the tee:

I tee'd up the MD about the same height as I would a iron on a par 3. At first I tried to stay flat with the swing but found quickly9 that I could swing steep and hard at the ball. The club wouldn't balloon on me at all. Perfect high draws all day long. The high draws were going a tad more left than I would like, little too much lateral movement. So I added 2 1"x1" strips of lead tape to the toe. The distance was really good. I averaged between 225 and 250 depending on the shot requirements. It was noticably easier to hit high shots off the tee, obviously, but much easier to hit a high fade. The few opportunities I had to hit into a long par 3 required a soft high fade. The high draws wanted to run off the green everytime.

From the fairway/rough:

I played the MD° just as I would a 5/7 wood or 2 iron. I am a picker more than a hitter and my irons are 2° flat. I must admit, I was worried that I would pull hook the snot out of this thing. I did hit the ball much lower off the deck, but not lower than my 3 wood. Definitely not as high as my 3 iron. I did have a few snap hooks at first, but I quickly got the hang of it. (the larger grip and lead tape helped alot!) I found the club extremely useful on short par 5's. It was very easy to hit a low draw to run up on the green. Perfect for those left-greenside bunkers. The club didn't want to take too big of a divot, kinda liked to skip on the hard ground. That made it sort of difficult to get under it and hit the nice high soft fades I mentioned I liked off the tee.

Feel and Sound:

I was surprise how solid this hybrid felt. I would Definitely compare how solid the hybrid and say the SS-07 are as close. Very solid!!! I can't stand clubs that have a hollow feeling, ala FT-3. I think they feel like crap and sound like crap, (sorry cally fans.) It’s definitely more solid high-pitched dead metallic sound and not too loud. Some may say it has a sort of "fu-whack" sound. I liked it alot. Sounded similar to my Tourstage X-Drive but more quiet. There is no ping or twang sound at all.

Feel - Shaft

I love that Irod shaft. The torque was perfect. The shaft had the perfect flex/lag whatever for me. I could feel the shaft flexing up through my forearms and it just exploded at impact. I was very impressed with the responsive feel for such a stiff shaft, or xstiff shaft in this case. I would recommend this shaft to anyone. It is no wonder I see some many Irod shaft on tour.

Overall:

I think Sonartec MD's are an excellent club and I would put one in play immediately. These hybrids are on par with Nickent's, my Tourstage X-ut, or a titleist 585. Great sticks, not overly expensive. I would have not reservations about suggesting this club to a friend.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I would first like to thank Sonartec (Erik) for letting me have this opportunity to test this club!

Due to some health issues I was not able to put this club through the wringer as I would have liked to, but I managed.

Here is my review:

Name: Ken K.

Handicap: 12

Strength: Driver (ave. 270ish)

Weakness: Long Irons (3= 200ish)

Hybrids owned: None

Ball used: B330

Overall Score: 4+/5

Cosmetic: 5/5

Forgiveness: 4+/5

Feel: 5/5

Length: 5/5

Playability: 4/5

Overall summery: I would love to say that this club solved ALL of my long iron issues, but I can’t. I was unsure how to hit this club. Was it an iron or was it a fairway wood? Once I got used to this club, the trajectory was a boring line drive (in-between a 16°-3 wood and a 22°-5 wood) that would carry 200 without even breaking a sweat. Easy to hit (versus a long iron), more forgiving, and much longer than any iron. Great off the tee and out of the rough. The biggest asset that this club has to offer me is confidence off the tee, 230 down the middle! All tight fairways will now fear me! A close second is chipping, acts like a putt, a low runner onto the green, and very easy to control.

So would I recommend this club for you (at least test it)? Well let’s just say that I after this test, I’m buying one (assuming that I don’t win it! ;) ) and throwing away my 3 iron. (Although I will probably get a higher lofted club since it’s longer than my 5 wood, and just short of my 3 wood.) Plus you get a nice looking head cover that’s not too loud, but definitely makes a statement (See Photo 1 & 2).

headcover%201.jpgheadcover%202.jpg

Cosmetic: Out of the box, I was impressed with this club, great color scheme of the shaft (See photo 3)

and the contrast of the club head and the club face, made it look like an iron and easy to align (See Photo 4).

shaft.jpg

top%20iron%201.jpg

Forgiveness: With the bulging of the face, (see photo 4) this hybrid takes advantage of the gear effect. Hits that are on the toe or heel, the ball will draw or fade back to the middle. It really resists severe hooks and slices, although pushes and pulls are a different story! But hey, at least it’s not compounded with a pull-hook or push-slice!

Feel: The club really lets you know when you hit the sweet spot, smooth as butter but solid. Off-center hits has a little vibration sensation, a sensation like the head wants to twist but doesn’t.

Length: Definitely LONG. I was able to hit the ball off the deck, 200 yards of carry! Off the tee, was a smooth 215 of carry, right down the middle! That’s if I didn’t pull it or push it! Off center hits are not penalized by severe loss of distance, only about 10-15 yards. Like they say, short and in the short stuff is better than long and in the woods/water! Had 3 par 3’s that were 191, 194 and 213. Hit all 3! I’m usually all over the place with my 3 or 4 iron.

Playability: I rated this high for the following categories of “different” shot capabilities rather than the ability of working the ball. When I tried to work the ball left or right, it doesn’t come easy, the ball likes to go straight. So, why make a club do those things, if you can make it go straight? Anyways, here are the other categories:

Off the Tee
: I can vary the length by choking down on the club, even down to the shaft! Major confidence here, tight fairways will tremble when you step up to the tee box. Goes straight! Don’t get me wrong, I still can manage an ugly hook, pull and push, but it’s not the club’s fault!

Off the Deck
: I have a little trouble with this shot, not as consistent as I would like, but I do have to say is that my shot dispersement is a lot tighter than my 3 or 4 iron. When I hit it off the deck, it was easier to hit the ball and get it up versus any long iron. I tend to pull and push the shot, but I’m sure if I had a little more time to work with the club, I would find that my 3 or 4 irons would be out of a job. Plus like I stated before, I’d be getting a higher lofted club, because this one is just too long and would create a large gap if I were to not have my 3 or 4 iron.

In the rough
: If the ball is sitting up slightly less than halfway or more, then this club is for you! No problems here! The rolled leading edge doesn’t allow the grass to grab and twist or slow the club head. (
See photo 5
) Anything deeper, well, I had to take my lickin’ and hit a wedge to the middle of the fairway.

leading%20edge.jpg

Chipping
: I really like this club for this purpose! Off the green, about 3 to 5 yards, with medium to low cuts, the ball rolls smoothly over the grass and onto the green like a putt. Very easy to control distance, just choke down the club and stroke it like a putt. It’s that simple! (I choked down to where my right hand was on the shaft)

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Thanks again for letting me test this club! :idhitit: ;) :crazy: :stop:

Ken

PS still waiting for the call tag to send this club to the next lucky person.

Nice reviews CCT and Mcbush! :idhitit:

CCT, Shesh, I should have read your review prior to me testing the club! (I purposely didn't read any reviews so that I would not be influenced and most importantly embarrased! :stop: Too late! 2 good reviews...)

I should have thought of reading the "how to hit your hybrid" on their site, never occurred to me! Brilliant! ;)

Ken

As for the shipping question.....I received an e-mail with a pre-paid UPS shipping tag that I printed out. All I have to do is put the club back in the box, stick the label on it and drop it off at the post office.

Oh and by the way...I've got the Stiff MD in my posession (for those of you still in line) and am in mid-session of my testing period. So far, I'm in love. Reebus...you should be expecting this baby pretty soon...I'll be shipping it out before next weekend. Dang....can't I just keep it? It really does look nice in my bag. :stop:

I'm playing at a very tough and narrow country club in the morning and am banking on the MD to be my secret weapon all day.

A little preview.....I made an eagle yesterday and used the MD for 2 of the 3 strokes. My drive went about 270 into the left rough (had a pretty good lie)....nailed the MD about 225 to the front fringe and then chip / putted with the MD and rolled it center cut, into the hole for EAGLE baby. :idhitit:

I have 3 other hybrids in my trunk and this one has quickly surpassed the others to earning a starting position in my bag.

I actually might cry when I have to ship it off....... ;)

Shipped the club off this afternoon! :diablo:

I was definately blessed and cursed in being able to test this club. Now I know that I CAN'T live without this club.

Brian W. You should be getting it rather soon since you're in CA (south of me). If you want the tracking number PM me.

Thanks again Erik! :idhitit:

Ken

As for the shipping question.....I received an e-mail with a pre-paid UPS shipping tag that I printed out. All I have to do is put the club back in the box, stick the label on it and drop it off at the post office.

Oh and by the way...I've got the Stiff MD in my posession (for those of you still in line) and am in mid-session of my testing period. So far, I'm in love. Reebus...you should be expecting this baby pretty soon...I'll be shipping it out before next weekend. Dang....can't I just keep it? It really does look nice in my bag. :D

I'm playing at a very tough and narrow country club in the morning and am banking on the MD to be my secret weapon all day.

A little preview.....I made an eagle yesterday and used the MD for 2 of the 3 strokes. My drive went about 270 into the left rough (had a pretty good lie)....nailed the MD about 225 to the front fringe and then chip / putted with the MD and rolled it center cut, into the hole for EAGLE baby. :cheesy:

I have 3 other hybrids in my trunk and this one has quickly surpassed the others to earning a starting position in my bag.

I actually might cry when I have to ship it off....... :D

I received the shipping labels recently. What's the status?

Reebus,

I received the shipping labels recently. What's the status? What do you mean by this statement.

Also these are UPS call tags and not USPS labels. These clubs should be dropped off a UPS pickup location.

Please let me know if any is have trouble shipping the clubs.

Sincerely,

Erik

Hello Contestants,

It looks like we are having some shipping issues with the Stiff Flex club. I'm working on getting this taken care of today with GolfWrx site managers.

I'm truly sorry for the delay.

It has been a pleasure reading the reviews of the Sonartec MD.

All contestant I will be sending a thank you package via USPS, so check those mailboxes next week.

Sincerely,

Erik

Oh and by the way...I've got the Stiff MD in my posession (for those of you still in line) and am in mid-session of my testing period. So far, I'm in love. Reebus...you should be expecting this baby pretty soon...I'll be shipping it out before next weekend. Dang....can't I just keep it? It really does look nice in my bag. :D

A little preview.....I made an eagle yesterday and used the MD for 2 of the 3 strokes. My drive went about 270 into the left rough (had a pretty good lie)....nailed the MD about 225 to the front fringe and then chip / putted with the MD and rolled it center cut, into the hole for EAGLE baby. :cheesy:

I actually might cry when I have to ship it off....... :D

Can you let us know on the shipping status on this club in your posession?

Thanks!

Joe

The "stiff" club is en-route....UPS tracking # 1z5r4v379042514584

Sorry for the delay but it was delivered while I was training out of town (military) and just sat on my porch for a week until I got home. I never got any heads up that it was on it's way....but I'm sure glad that it was there waiting for me when I got back.

I did get a few chances to practice / play with it and now I'm sad that I have to go back to my Callaway hybrid.

It's packed up nice and tight in the box and should arrive to REEBUS this week. Review is in-work and will be posted this week as well.

Thank you for the opportunity.

Just sending out a WARNING to the other contestants....I recieved my shipping "call tag" / UPS label or whatever it's called via e-mail but the club didn't show up until 3 weeks later. According to Erik I was supposed to receive the club 3 weeks earlier than I did....the same time the label was e-mailed to me. Apparently there were some shipping schedule delays that nobody knew of.

Just make sure you keep good records of your delivery / shipment paperwork so you don't get accused of holding the club hostage.

Lucky for me I saved all of my UPS delivery and shipping paperwork to prove my integrity...I suggest you all do the same.

O.K. guys, I got the package yesterday. Took a little "wrangling" with

UPS, but all is well.

I haven't hit it yet, but my first impressions are all favorable. The shaft

feels great and I really like the "look" of the club more than my

Callaway hybrid. The shape of the head really inspires more confidence

when looking down at it. I can also see why it makes a good chipping club.

Full review to follow......

REEBUS,

Glad to hear the "golden hornet" (I name all my clubs and although this was only adopted for a short period of time it's solid play earned a callsign)....anyways....I'm glad it made it's way safely to your door.

I gotta say that I now HATE my callaway hybrid after swinging the hornet for a while....she's a beaute!

I just wanted to thank Erik and Sonartec for the very generous gift pack he sent out. Thank you!!! :beach:

I haven't received mine yet, but it may have been sent to my old address....

I still haven't recieved mine, but I am sure it will be here within a couple of days. I can't wait to see those goodies.