2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Sonartec Hybrid MD contest!

joey3108

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the gift in the mail! This site is awesome!

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I received my package today. Thank you very much! :beach:

I've hit the hybrid on the range several times and really like the results.

The club that I'm comparing it to is my Callaway Heavenwood, RCH stiff, 20

degrees loft. The thing that I've never liked about the Callaway is the shaft.

I tend to hit the club VERY high and really can't find a setup, or swing, to

hit it low. This has not been the case with the Sonartec. I am sure that most

of the reason for this is in the shaft. I had one of the previous models of the

shaft in a 3-wood and had forgotten how much I liked it.

As I stated before, I really like the way that the club looks at address and have a lot

more confidence in my ability to work the ball in both directions. With the Callaway,

I never feel comfortable trying to hit a fade, and that's my "go to" shot. I'm going to

take the club out for a few rounds this weekend and my final review will come after that.

Can I just keep it? I really like the feeling of confidence it gives me....

O.K., My review of the "MD".......

APPEARANCE

When I first pulled the club out of the box, I thought that it was a bit too "hockey stickish"

for me. But that was only a first impression. The more I studied it, the more I came to

appreciate the appearance. After all, a hybrid is not supposed to look like a 5-wood, but

more like a "beefed-up" long iron. There is the appearance of some offset to this club

that is not present in my Callaway Heavenwood. To my eye, this is not a negative since I

play EYE2 irons. In fact I found it somewhat comforting. The club sits square and I did not

feel as though I had to manipulate it to square. All in all, it's a big improvement over the

hybrid I play now.

PERFORMANCE

What can I say, this club has an outstanding feel to it. Great feedback that tells you exactly

where you hit it and also a great sound on a well-struck shot.

As I said before, the club sits very square when you lay it on the ground, and this definitely

allows the user to easily set the face angle for the type of shot that they are trying to hit. The

one thing that I've missed by taking my two iron out of the bag in favor of a hybrid is the ability

to hit the low, running hook that I would use on narrow par 4's and into the wind. I found that

with a little practice, I could definitely get that shot back with this club. High fades (my go to

shot) are also not problem. From a workability standpoint, this club is FAR superior to my

current hybrid.

As far as distance goes, I felt that the club was worth a good 10 to 15 yards extra. Of course

my Callaway is 20 degrees and this is 19, but I think it is due to the much more boring ball flight

I achieved with the Sonartec. I'm sure that the shaft had something to do with it also.

SHAFT

I suspect that a great deal of my love affair with the performance of this club comes from

the shaft. As I stated in an earlier post, I had a 3 wood that I had put one of the original

versions of the shaft in and had forgotten just how stable, and smooth the shaft felt. I never

got the feeling that I was loading the shaft too much and needed to "wait" on it. Conversely,

it was not "boardy" feeling at all. It seems as though I was matched very well for the flex.

OVERALL

I had always heard that these clubs were not as forgiving as other hybrids and really had

not given them a second thought. Boy, was I wrong. I've hit quite a few hybrids trying to

find the right one. This is definitely the one I would reccomend to anyone wanting to

change. I'm currently looking for one and will put the same shaft in it ..............

Anybody wana buy a Callaway Heavenwood?

cheap :drinks:

The MD is in the mail to the next contestant.

Sorry, I received it two months later than the original test date, I only had the chance to take it out once, with zero range time. Two low bullet draws that each traveled roughly 180 yards, but that's hardly enough for a review. So I passed it on ASAP.

Good luck everyone.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

Sorry for the delay in getting this out but i am working through a relocation as we speak... needless to say its a little crazy...

Anyhow...

The Sonartec MD w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft

by phillypete

This club is all about duality's... if you find yourself debating whether to put a wood or an iron in your bag, 2i or 5w, 3i or 7w, then you need to try the Sonartec MD. This club is the ultimate synthesis of wood and iron in one extremely pretty club.

I find myself in a situation where I need a long club to get me to a long par 3 on my home course. A long iron offers me the control I need to get my ball on line, however a creek in the front and a shallow green doesn't really offer me enough room to stop a long iron. With a wood I do not have the control to hit the green, I'll get it close to the green but close doesn't get me birdies. The Sonartec MD offers me the perfect option in this scenario. With the ball teed up the MD absolutely launches the ball high into the air. We're talking hop and stop from 215+! The club sets up very neutral and was fairly easy to work right or left. I have a natural draw, but my preferred shot is a fade. I love fading this club off the tee it puts the ball so high and deep its really a thrill to see. The ball literally jumps off the face. This club is so solid that you barely feel the ball come off the face. Just a solid "crack" sound at impact and off goes the ball. The V2 shaft, which I have fallen in love with in my driver, is absolutely a treat. Its a very active shaft, you can feel it load and unload through the swing. It makes hitting golf balls a joy.

Now after the phenomenal results off the tee I figured it was time to give this club a test off the turf. At first I struggled off the deck, I was catching everything thin... this is when I discovered the duality of this club... Off the tee it takes very nicely to a "wood" swing (catching it on the upswing), where as off the deck this won't cut it. I found I really needed to attack the ball off the deck and make sure I hit down on it. It seems to me that the sweet spot on the face is fair high on the face thus when hitting off the ground you should probably be taking a divot. This is something I wasn't accustomed to doing with hybrids or woods. After I got that concept behind me I had great success with the club. Off the deck it doesn't go near as high, a more boring flight. I was once again able to turn the ball both ways. Call me old school, but it made me nervous to pitch a ball with a graphite shaft.

Another shot that is crucial for a hybrid in my bag is the low stinger. I play the ball back in my stance, open up a little and check my follow thru. Around my area we have very windy falls, so it critical to have a shot that cuts through the wind. I found the Sonartec MD performed this shot phenomenally. With a little effort I found I was even able to shape the shot, something I can't do with my current clubs.

So I guess the final measure of this club is whether I would play it... and to that I say definitely. To date the Sonartec MD is the best hybrid I have had the pleasure of hitting. As a caviot I have to say that I'm probably not going to run out and buy it... for one I'm try to bank some cash for my move, but mainly because I think there is still some room for this club to improve. It definitely took an active mind to hit this club well off the deck. If Sonartec could figure that out then I'd be all over it. It really comes done to my conception of a hybrid. I feel that a hybrid should be the easiest club to hit in my bag, I guess I feel that way because that is my current situation. My hybrid now is dumbie-proof, however I can't work it like I like I could the Sonartec MD... maybe thats the price I have to pay to work the ball, or maybe thats the comfort that comes after having a club in the bag for two years.

In closing I'll say that the Sonartec MD definitely impressed me, I will advise anyone with a decent swing to check it out.

Thanks for the opportunity!

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

Well yesterday I got an early Christmas present from Erik and Sonartec! (cool)

There was a long box at my front door. When I opened it, there was the MD that I had

been so sad to see go. I was informed by Erik that I was the lucky recipient of the

Stiff MD! All I can say is Wow and thank you! My Callaway hybrid has already been relegated

to the "pile of unused clubs" and the MD is already in my bag.

I felt very lucky just to be chosen to participate in the test program. You can't imagine

how lucky I feel to actually get to keep the club I fell in love with while testing.

Again, thank you Sonartec and Erik. And Merry Christmas!

Well yesterday I got an early Christmas present from Erik and Sonartec! (cool)

There was a long box at my front door. When I opened it, there was the MD that I had

been so sad to see go. I was informed by Erik that I was the lucky recipient of the

Stiff MD! All I can say is Wow and thank you! My Callaway hybrid has already been relegated

to the "pile of unused clubs" and the MD is already in my bag.

I felt very lucky just to be chosen to participate in the test program. You can't imagine

how lucky I feel to actually get to keep the club I fell in love with while testing.

Again, thank you Sonartec and Erik. And Merry Christmas!

That is sweet. I hope I am lucky enough to have an early present, but in the regular flex variety. There were a lot of great reviews for this club and even if I don't win one then I am still glad I was able to participate in the review. Thanks again Erik.

C.J.

dudes and dudettes, I am having a SERIOUS PROBLEM!! I have the Sonartec MD 23* hybrid (swing speed mid to high 140), with a senior flex IROD shaft. All I do is hit low snap hooks that carry about 190 and roll an extra 90-135 yards. Whats the deal here fellows, new shaft? I need some help. PRONTO!

okay, sorry if this comes off wrong, but i'll try my best to understand this post. you say that your swing speed is in the 140's. you know tiger woods is around 125 right? you also posted that it is a 23* senior flex club. if this is the true flex, and your true swing speed, that shaft would just about snap. also, who in the world hits a 23* hybrid anywhere from 280- 325 yards? i smell some B/S, and lots of it....

Erik, I was part of the contest but never recieved the stiff flex club to test. I was looking forward to test this head especially with the UST shaft. Im guessing it just never got sent my way?? Congratulations reebus on winning the club, great idea by Sonartec. I suppose I'll just have to test the head sometime next spring when the Sonartec rep comes around.

- Bryan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...