2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Sonartec Hybrid MD contest!

joey3108

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious as to what is going on as well. It doesn't seem that everyone posted a review that was supposed to. Plus we haven't heard anything on the clubs.

C.J.

I don't think everyone got to test the club either (before it got given away)....I don't know if I was the only one in the stiff flex category, but apparently the R & X have dissapeared. Erik what's going on with this testing??

So not to be a pest or anything, but have the X and R flex MD's been found yet?

I realize that some people didn't get the club, so I wasn't bashing them on not posting a review. It is kind of hard to do a reviem without having the test club.

Erik, what is the status on this?

Thanks again for the opportunity.

I'm still have not received the regular and x-flex MD's back from the final contestants. I apologize that everyone did not get a chance to test the clubs. I anyone is still interested I will ship them a demo club to test.

This contest was very challenging to manage with all the call tags and shipping details from different individuals.

Sincerely,

Erik

I'm still have not received the regular and x-flex MD's back from the final contestants. I apologize that everyone did not get a chance to test the clubs. I anyone is still interested I will ship them a demo club to test.

This contest was very challenging to manage with all the call tags and shipping details from different individuals.

Sincerely,

Erik

Erik,

I'm sure it was a challenge. Again, thank you for the opportunity!

P.S.

I've let over 20 people hit the club since I've had it. Most rave about it!

Well it looks like we might not find those 2 missing clubs. So I'm willing to offer a very special price :drinks: to any of the contestants wanting to purchase the Sonartec MD. All you have to do is call me at 877-237-1190 and I will offer you a get deal on a awesome club. Since I'm working the Tour Van at the Buick on Monday at Torrey and leaving for the PGA show on Tuesday. This offer is only good until this Friday, 1/19/2006. No Exceptions!!

Talk to you soon,

Erik

Well it looks like we might not find those 2 missing clubs. So I'm willing to offer a very special price :drinks: to any of the contestants wanting to purchase the Sonartec MD. All you have to do is call me at 877-237-1190 and I will offer you a get deal on a awesome club. Since I'm working the Tour Van at the Buick on Monday at Torrey and leaving for the PGA show on Tuesday. This offer is only good until this Friday, 1/19/2006. No Exceptions!!

Talk to you soon,

Erik

Very cool gesture Erik! It's a shame that (2) of the clubs came up "missing" though...

I've have now used the 19° Sonartec MD with the X-Flex UST Irod for about 5-6 rounds. First impression was WOW!!!!!! This club is long for a 19°!!! I was hitting this hybrid well over 250 yards. I'm a fairly high hitter with the long clubs, the MD 19° plays more like a 21° for me. It was unbelievable to see those range balls fly off the face. I think I rolled at least one to the back fence at the range, (that's 280) I don't like to brag about hitting it far, most people don't believe you anyways, but I hit a 19 degree club 280 yards. Maybe it was dry out, maybe the ocean breeze carried it for me, but that is still pretty dang far!!!

Looks:

At first I wasn't too fond of the look. I tend to like round looking clubs more than square-ish ones. I am not a fan or the new Square Drivers, Ping Irons, etc. The MD has that square toe to heel look. I thought for sure it would be a hook machine for me. The shaft looked awesome!!! I definelty like the look of the Irod's with the graphite showing through. And a Golfwrx.com logo! Are you kidding me!?! That thing was awesome. I added a GP Dual Durameter grip to the club.

From the tee:

I tee'd up the MD about the same height as I would a iron on a par 3. At first I tried to stay flat with the swing but found quickly9 that I could swing steep and hard at the ball. The club wouldn't balloon on me at all. Perfect high draws all day long. The high draws were going a tad more left than I would like, little too much lateral movement. So I added 2 1"x1" strips of lead tape to the toe. The distance was really good. I averaged between 225 and 250 depending on the shot requirements. It was noticably easier to hit high shots off the tee, obviously, but much easier to hit a high fade. The few opportunities I had to hit into a long par 3 required a soft high fade. The high draws wanted to run off the green everytime.

From the fairway/rough:

I played the MD° just as I would a 5/7 wood or 2 iron. I am a picker more than a hitter and my irons are 2° flat. I must admit, I was worried that I would pull hook the snot out of this thing. I did hit the ball much lower off the deck, but not lower than my 3 wood. Definitely not as high as my 3 iron. I did have a few snap hooks at first, but I quickly got the hang of it. (the larger grip and lead tape helped alot!) I found the club extremely useful on short par 5's. It was very easy to hit a low draw to run up on the green. Perfect for those left-greenside bunkers. The club didn't want to take too big of a divot, kinda liked to skip on the hard ground. That made it sort of difficult to get under it and hit the nice high soft fades I mentioned I liked off the tee.

Feel and Sound:

I was surprise how solid this hybrid felt. I would Definitely compare how solid the hybrid and say the SS-07 are as close. Very solid!!! I can't stand clubs that have a hollow feeling, ala FT-3. I think they feel like crap and sound like crap, (sorry cally fans.) It’s definitely more solid high-pitched dead metallic sound and not too loud. Some may say it has a sort of "fu-whack" sound. I liked it alot. Sounded similar to my Tourstage X-Drive but more quiet. There is no ping or twang sound at all.

Feel - Shaft

I love that Irod shaft. The torque was perfect. The shaft had the perfect flex/lag whatever for me. I could feel the shaft flexing up through my forearms and it just exploded at impact. I was very impressed with the responsive feel for such a stiff shaft, or xstiff shaft in this case. I would recommend this shaft to anyone. It is no wonder I see some many Irod shaft on tour.

Overall:

I think Sonartec MD's are an excellent club and I would put one in play immediately. These hybrids are on par with Nickent's, my Tourstage X-ut, or a titleist 585. Great sticks, not overly expensive. I would have not reservations about suggesting this club to a friend.

Yo Eric, sorry my review was a little late. I actually added it to my previous post. I figured I would stick it here at the end again so everyone could see the pics of the X-flex (on first page of this thread.) (May it R.I.P. with its club hoggin new owner) :)

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Congrats to the winner's and a big thanks to Erik for letting us have the opportunity to test out this great club. It is just sad that there is some people out there who took advantage of this opportunity. Hopefully, the club will jinx their games and they will eventually feel bad about it. That is just ridiculous.