MP60 vs 05RacLT vs 735cm

littlepoison

trajectory, workability...
With major improvements in ball striking and swing consistency, I've pretty much narrowed down my irons-of-interest to these three models. There may be one or two others that sneak in, but these are the ones that stuck out in my mind in terms of good looks at address, and being a bit of a "reach" in terms of forcing me to continue working on my swing, yet afford some degree of forgiveness.

I'll have to do a little research on just "where" my ball flight is currently from 3-pw compared to what's considered "high, mid or low," and just how much shaft choice will affect that...

I feel confident in knowing general opinions regarding feel or each of these heads, but how would our educated panel members compare these in terms of trajectory through the set, and overall workability?

Again, until I have a chance to demo each of the heads with similar shafts, I'll have to live vicariously through you guys :) :cheesy:

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the advice... I'm assuming that you guys have had a chance to hit these all with the same shafts? How did they differ from each other in terms of long iron trajectory, mid iron, and short iron trajectory?

I'm coming from Cleveland TA4's so feel isn't the absolute priority... of course, that could all change once I hit the Mizzys...

I'm not necessarily looking for an iron set that's going to let me hit 30 yard intentional draws and fades, but will allow me to work the ball a little when desired. Higher ball flight in the long irons is preferred, with some degree of conrolling the short iron trajectory.

Thanks again :cheesy:

I don't have an opinion on the LT's due to the fact I've never hit them. But as far as the others I hit the 735's and the 60's with DG S300's in them side by side with a few others and I felt the 60's were more forgiving throughout the set and provided a solid overall trajectory. The 735's both stainless and chrome had a nice trajectory but were definitely not as forgiving and just felt heavy and harsh at impact. Prior to all my testing I was leaning toward the 690.cb's and through a number of range session comparisons it came down to the 690.cb's and the 60's but I went with the 60's just based on feel and that's not to say I couldn't be happy with the Titleist's but the Mizuno's just seem to have a slight edge in feel for me. :drinks:

Of the three, the LT's are going to be most forgiving. I can work them pretty well too, given how forgiving they are (hence they're my gamers).

The MP 60 is not as forgiving as you would think. I liken it more to a blade with a touch of forgiveness, whereas the LT's are like a workable tweener. But I do love the look and feel of the Mizunos...like I said, blade-like.

I haven't played much with the Titleists so I can't render a good opinion there.

There are slight compromises either way. IMO try 'em and pick the one that suits you best.

Thanks again for volunteering the opinions, guys... I'm not overly concerned with feel... and forgiveness is something that will definately be needed... as I'm getting much better and hitting the sweetspot, but still have my days where the dang SS seems like trying to hit the point of a pin... two points for the LT's. Then again, I have enough good days where everything is tagged on the sweet spot, so I feel like being forced to keep working on my ball striking is a good thing... Which gives the nod to the 60's... When I'm hitting it really well, the long iros get up well, but the short irons do seem to be trying to enter orbit... the nod will definately go to the 60's and 735's, based on what I've heard...

Steve, did you try some lower launching shafts in the LT's before you decided to go with the 04 model? (Yes, I have now just hexed myself and will therefore be damned to hit low, thin, screaming bullets, never to achieve backspin with even a sandwedge :drinks: )

I tried all three before making my purchase a few months ago. The LT2s just did nothing for me. The shot pattern was definitely higher than the other two. The TMs didn't leave enough of an impression to make the finals.

I did like 735s quite a bit, but when hit side by side against the 60s, they felt clickish. The feedback was there, just not as pronounced. I hit them both on the toe, heal, low and high. With the 60s, you knew exactly where you made contact.

I am playing to a twelve and absolutely do not feel that the 60s are over my head. I am stiking the ball better now then ever before.

Try all three. If you can, hit them back to back, outdoors of course.

Good luck to you. By the way, the wait after you order them seems like forever. But, it will be worth it, whichever wins.

This was VERY helpful... did you notice a difference between the way the long irons and short irons flew between the 735's and the MP60's? I know that shaft fitting is critical, and I do have the ability to hit a knockdown with the shorter clubs, but I'd definately prefer to make as much of a "normal" swing as possible, wether it's a 3 iron or a 9 iron... thanks :drinks:

ive had a set of the new lt2's and thought they were horrible. they felt decent, but the lower trajectory was no where to be found.

switched to the original lt's w/s300 and could not be happier.

out of the choices you have there, i would have to battle it out between the mp60's and titleists.

I have to agree that the "Low Trajectory" moniker is wholly misplaced on the LT2's. They do go high, especially when you play them in an R flex like I do. But that's not all bad. I can still play a knock down shot when I need to, and they are still very workable. In my analysis its better to have a club I can hit high or low, than one I can just hit low.