2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Range Practice

How many balls until your swing doesn't hold up?
I've noticed that many golfers practicing at my range end up buying the maximum amount of balls alloted (165) and start hitting them quickly one after the other.

My question is, at what point does the golf swing break down for you?

I ask this because back in the day when I used to play baseball, I'd go to the batting cages and go round after round. At about the 3rd round, I'd be gassed. My swing breaks down, I start hitting grounders rather than line drives. 52 balls is what it takes to break down.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish that more places had a medium size bucket because a small i want a few more and a large i lose focus and then start to get mad. I cant hit that many balls or i start to hit bad shots then get angry. and also with my wrist hurting i have to limit the number. I dont really see why people would get that many balls it probably causes a lot of them more damage than good.

I hit about 50 then I'm over it. Too many and I try and get through them rather than just work on things.

That's actually what I used to do - "get through the rest of the balls" just to finish out my practice.

At my range, although I prefer purchasing a 60 ball bucket, I just buy the most expensive (cost savings) and save the rest in my bag...which sucks because it's heavy as heck.

I hit about 50 then I'm over it. Too many and I try and get through them rather than just work on things.

That's actually what I used to do - "get through the rest of the balls" just to finish out my practice.

At my range, although I prefer purchasing a 60 ball bucket, I just buy the most expensive (cost savings) and save the rest in my bag...which sucks because it's heavy as heck.

If I'm trying to engrain a thought or feel, I'll hit a ton until I'm just too tired.

However, if I'm just swinging to maintain, I go through my full pre-shot routine and hit three balls with each odd or even number club in the bag (to keep wear even). That's only 21 swings, then I'll simulate a couple of holes on the range.

Then it's off to short game and putting work!

If I'm trying to engrain a thought or feel, I'll hit a ton until I'm just too tired.

However, if I'm just swinging to maintain, I go through my full pre-shot routine and hit three balls with each odd or even number club in the bag (to keep wear even). That's only 21 swings, then I'll simulate a couple of holes on the range.

Hey TaylormadeFan, does your practice range make you pay for short game practice? Ugh, my range is horrible. The whole area I live in makes you pay for short game practice. $7 for 30 minutes, $2 for each 15 minutes after that.

Hey TaylormadeFan, does your practice range make you pay for short game practice? Ugh, my range is horrible. The whole area I live in makes you pay for short game practice. $7 for 30 minutes, $2 for each 15 minutes after that.

$60 a month, all the range balls you can hit!

Trust me, I get my money's worth, I'm a complete range rat, I love hitting golf balls. I'll try and take some pics of the practice area tomorrow. I'm REALLY lucky, I've got a GREAT practice range (grass with 2 chipping greens and a putting green) that rivals (or exceeds) most private clubs.

Timed practice is really tough and not good for your golf game. I'm sorry to hear that you've got to put up with that.

It's no wonder people get into the scrape and hit mentality, you're on the clock! :drinks:

$60 a month, all the range balls you can hit!

Trust me, I get my money's worth, I'm a complete range rat, I love hitting golf balls. I'll try and take some pics of the practice area tomorrow. I'm REALLY lucky, I've got a GREAT practice range (grass with 2 chipping greens and a putting green) that rivals (or exceeds) most private clubs.

Timed practice is really tough and not good for your golf game. I'm sorry to hear that you've got to put up with that.

It's no wonder people get into the scrape and hit mentality, you're on the clock! :drinks:

Definitely take them pictures.

I can hit a big bucket! But i am not you typical hit one after another range person. I hit it analyze what i did and then reload, I have a freind that is that way he hits one after another after another. What i used to do is get to the range about 20 to 30 mins before him and by the time he got there and was ready to hit we might finish close to each other, but normally he was waiting on me. Then i would go an putt and chip, he would usually leave after 10 mins of chipping and putting unless he was hungry. Now that i am married and have kids i usually only hit 2 small buckets, sometimes even only one. i look at quality not quantity, atleast until the girls get older then i will get back to my big buckets.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I stopped going to the range. I will play late in the evening (start around 7-7:30 until dark) and just play 3 balls on each hole. No one is behind me or in front of me, so I get accurate on course practice, different lies, sometimes throw a few in the bunker/rough, or intentionally practice below feet/above feet lies. I will tee off with different clubs on par 4-5 just so I can play different clubs for approach shots. Tee off with driver, 3 wood, and then 2 iron. Most days, play every hole 100 yards and in. I found that you can spray a tee shot and still get up and down if you are comfortable/confident with the short game.

Of course, this is cleared by the clubhouse before I go out there!

I think course practice is thousand times more valuable than just beating balls at the range. You have to have a target, you practice the same preshot routine, you can simulate problem areas in your game, etc.

My practice depends on how my game is at the time. If I've got a problem, I'll stay on the range day after day until I fix it (doesn't usually take that long, but has). Otherwise, I'll hit either even or odd clubs until I have hit 5 in a row exactly the way I want to. This usually takes around 30 minutes.

I'll then go hit between 25 and 40 bunker shots, from different distances. I also always work on the short game, typically before and after I do all of the above.

That all said, it gets tough this time of year. Today's high will be around 107 with high humidity. The ozone has gotten so bad it's dangerous to be out in it too long.

My practice will go from 2-3 days a week down to 1-2 and my scores will go up a bit. That said, I try to get to the course about an hour and a half before my weekend rounds to get any practice in I can early in the day before it gets too hot.

My range has an "all you can hit" for 90 bucks a month. I can usually go through a large bucket on the range and then take a large bucket over to the chipping green / sand range and hit those. If I'm feeling good I'll go shag all those and repeat from different distances around the green. Then right before I'm about to leave I'll do some flops from about 40 yards out and 10 ft above the green just for feel. After I do that I go and hit about 20 driver shots at the opposite end of the range and just aim for targets not for distance. Hit a low draw, high draw, straight ball, high fade, low fade and another straight ball.

It all depends how hot it is and how I'm feeling that day. Lately I've just been practicing at the course. I'll hit 2 or 3 shots off of each tee. Usually a driver / 3 wood / hybrid off the tee. I'll take about 25 range balls with me as well and practice out of the bunkers on the course. I'm normally the only one out there so it's cool. If someone comes up behind me I'll gather everything up and move on or move back a hole.

Best one ever was when I got a large bucket at the range and took it with me to the 3rd hole which is a 115 yard par 3. I probably hit 50 shots to that green. A guy showed up to hit his shot and ended up just hanging out hitting PW's to the green with me. We'd take turns shagging the balls.

Being young I can go through about 120-150 before I get tired/bored.

I feel so lucky because my course offered an unlimited range pass for $175 for the year. I jumped all over that, Im pretty sure Ive payed it off twice as a bucket of balls is $3. It has really helped me improve my game being able to hit lots and lots of range balls.

-Kyle

Mariner's Point?

On a practice day i will hit anywhere from 100-500 balls depending on how well i can concentrate on that day. If my mind is all over the place then i may start hitting it poorly after just 80 balls or so, but then i have some days where i have hit over 500 and hit them all really well. A good thing for me was that i bought an ipod and listen to music when i hit balls if i'm not working on anything in particualr. It helps me to stay in a good rythym and allows me to work more on maintaining my swing. But if i'm trying to fix something i say the heck with the ipod. All i can say is, thank god i don't have to pay for range balls!!!!

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

if i am not working on anything about 75 balls. After that i just get sloppy. I play the game totally in the air so I don't have to work my irons too much so I dont really work on hitting it right to left or left to right.

I dont practice pitching with range balls as they are usually low spin pieces of crap and totally not like hitting on the course.

I go to meadowlinks golf academy here locally because they have the only range balls worth hitting.

Right now I am probably only hitting about 75 balls a day. But that is only because the course where I work is putting a new fence in and it's 150 or less. So I am practicing only with my 8-LW which is good for my game but it gets a little boring. I will ussually hit more balls when I can hit all my clubs. If I have someone to practice with then I could hit balls all day long. Back at the dome in the winter I hit 15 buckets in one day which is around 1200 balls. It was my day off and I was just chatting with members and other staff members and was just hitting ball after ball to the different targets. On monday I had a lesson at another course and I hit proably 5 buckets that day and spent and extra two hours on the range. The pro said do you mind hitting balls for a while? I jumped all over it.