2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Covers for irons

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1294926700' post='2893656']
[quote name='br61' timestamp='1294764680' post='2888930']
my regular golfing buddy likes keeping his irons in pristine condition so he's got covers for his irons. Recently, he got a very small rock scratch on sole of his 5 and 7 irons, ordered new clubs to replace them. Actually keeps a knife sharpening block in his bag to rub out any scratches on the soles. It's his money and property, I'm used to it and never give it a second thought anymore.

[/quote]

Curious about your buddy's use of a knife sharpening block.

What model of irons does he have?
[/quote]

710CB, to buff out the minor scratches on the soles while on the course. He used it just couple times in my presence, both for minor scratches or nicks on the leading edge. I'm sure he did more fine buffing work at home.

His clubs usually does look nice though. Has it since May or June, right now looks like they've been played around 10 rounds or so even though they actually have over 50 rounds on them.

It's his clubs and he chose to take good care of them. Nothing wrong with it. :good:

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Max 7 wood

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='wedge1' timestamp='1294928188' post='2893695']
If I thought the other way, I'd yank the putter and wood covers off too.
[/quote]

Ok, I'll bite. There's different logic behind covering irons and covering putters and woods.

Paint on woods -- on top, where you see it at address -- isn't durable, and can be a real distraction at address when scratched. The likelihood of scratching this surface during play is extremely small. The likelihood of scratching it when it's unprotected, is high. The same reasoning holds for putters. With many putters being soft steel with smooth surfaces and chiseled edges, it's easy to ding them and see those imperfections at address. Irons are forced into circumstances constantly (in the course of play) where they can become scarred -- but I have never been able to see that damage at address. I cover my woods and putter because I don't want to be distracted at address, and I can usually avoid any kind of damage to them by using covers. You can't keep irons from being damaged during the course of play, and you can't see the damage at address anyway.

You can do what you want, of course. I just don't think there's the same correlation between covering irons and covering woods and putters as you suggest.

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1294875055' post='2892461']
golfbum9 wrote, "What does too stiff a shaft or too small of a head have to do with bag chatter?
You must have supreme ability and 'high moral character' being able to look down with disdain on anyones golf equipment that doesn't fit into your standards. How dare they play equipment they want to play and in less than pristine shape...

See how ridiculous that sounds?"

Well, what is it about you or anyone else looking down with disdain on anyone who attempts to protect their investment by using iron covers? How dare they want to keep their equipment in better shape than yours?

See how ridiculous THAT sounds?[/quote]

Shallow- My post was a sarcastic, purposely over exaggerrated response to your post which came off with a bit of golf snobbery;
"I guess I'm referring mostly to [b]those who bought something with too small of a head and too stiff of a shaft and are having to dump them. Since they wanted those sticks exposed to impress all their buds [/b]they've gotten enough damage to cause the owner to take more of a loss than he thought he would."
Are you really that good to feel you can judge another golfer? Especially by simply by looking in the used bin? Or were you just speaking about yourself :tongue: j/k

As said in my previous post, I don't give a toss what's in someones bag, whether they have covers, or what they wear. It is fairly obvious to notice when others do however...

I'm not a snob in any which way shape or form so don't get me wrong. I was merely pointing out that those which defensively swear by using headcovers should not cast the "hack" stone. That's is what is referred to as [i]irony[/i] :cheesy:

Again to each their own. Cheers! :drinks:

Shallow- My post was a sarcastic, purposely over exaggerrated response to your post which came off with a bit of golf snobbery;
"I guess I'm referring mostly to [b]those who bought something with too small of a head and too stiff of a shaft and are having to dump them. Since they wanted those sticks exposed to impress all their buds [/b]they've gotten enough damage to cause the owner to take more of a loss than he thought he would."
Are you really that good to feel you can judge another golfer? Especially by simply by looking in the used bin? Or were you just speaking about yourself :tongue: j/k

As said in my previous post, I don't give a toss what's in someones bag, whether they have covers, or what they wear. It is fairly obvious to notice when others do however...

I'm not a snob in any which way shape or form so don't get me wrong. I was merely pointing out that those which defensively swear by using headcovers should not cast the "hack" stone. That's is what is referred to as [i]irony[/i] :cheesy:

Again to each their own. Cheers! :drinks:
[/quote]

Not sure how posting an observation about what I see in the used bin qualifies as snobbery.

I've made mistakes in buying equipment. We all have. But I can honestly say I've never bought anything in an effort to impress someone else. I've had any number of fellows who admitted to me they have. I'm hoping to help others avoid those mistakes. How many times have you read stuff here where a guy says, "I can't play those. My buds would make fun of me," even though it's exactly what they need to play their best. I hate to see anyone go through life that way.

Again, I don't think anything I posted casted any sort of "hack stone." And as far as being defensive is concerned, who started it (you weren't first of course, but the derogatory posts in general)? If not for the juvenile rantings about what some say using iron covers says about a golfer, I wouldn't have made a single post. I've seen similar stuff about guys who use staff bags or wear golf shoes to follow pro tournaments. Makes them a "poser" according to many. It's ridiculous.

It reminds me of being back in the sixth grade, when the kids who brought their lunches in paper bags made fun of the kids with metal lunchboxes.

You can see by my post count I'm more of a lurker than a participant. These sorts of exchanges are the reason why. But I felt I owed you an answer.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='wedge1' timestamp='1294928188' post='2893695']
[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1294867871' post='2892237']

I do something similar when it comes to practice. I have a spare 5 and 8 iron that I use at the range so as not to wear out my gamers. If you're someplace like Florida where the soil is sandy, you can really chew up a set of irons with just a few range sessions, especially if the range balls are dirty as they often are.
[/quote]

I do this too...but I get a 5 and 9. I leave them in my trunk too so I can swing by the range anytime and not have to deal with taking my bag in and out of my car all the time. As for covers...yup, use them. Is what it is and I like to take care of my stuff where I can...seems senseless to not use them. If I thought the other way, I'd yank the putter and wood covers off too.
[/quote]

You don't want to leave off your wood covers. Someone would accuse you of being a Rocco Mediate wannabe. :D

They never remember that Rocco's getting his gear for free.

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='br61' timestamp='1294928819' post='2893711']
[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1294926700' post='2893656']
[quote name='br61' timestamp='1294764680' post='2888930']
my regular golfing buddy likes keeping his irons in pristine condition so he's got covers for his irons. Recently, he got a very small rock scratch on sole of his 5 and 7 irons, ordered new clubs to replace them. Actually keeps a knife sharpening block in his bag to rub out any scratches on the soles. It's his money and property, I'm used to it and never give it a second thought anymore.

[/quote]

Curious about your buddy's use of a knife sharpening block.

What model of irons does he have?
[/quote]

710CB, to buff out the minor scratches on the soles while on the course. He used it just couple times in my presence, both for minor scratches or nicks on the leading edge. I'm sure he did more fine buffing work at home.

His clubs usually does look nice though. Has it since May or June, right now looks like they've been played around 10 rounds or so even though they actually have over 50 rounds on them.

It's his clubs and he chose to take good care of them. Nothing wrong with it. :good:
[/quote]

Thanks for responding to me. Restoring and reselling used clubs is a bit of a hobby of mine (after a fair trial of course!), so I'm always interested in new ways to do a bit of restoration.

--Rory McIlroy