2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Covers for irons

[quote name='GetmeouttaJersey' timestamp='1294708213' post='2887816']
I'll tell you what. True story.

I was the BIGGEST anti-iron cover player you could ever meet. I despised them and thought that they were soooo corny.

Last month (about) I went out and picked up some MINT, SEXY MP 67's done in black chrome. Right after I bought them, I couldn't bring myself to let them get destroyed by bag chatter and/or nicks from car rides, ect.

I went on eBay and found some really bad a** mesh Mizuno iron covers. While I know they aren't legitimately made by Mizuno, I had to get something to protect my clubs.

NOTE: Mizuno specifically states that iron covers SHOULDN'T be used because it can cause rust. I will just have to be extra careful. I found the most breathable set of covers I could find and I'm sure everything will be fine.

Honestly, it's all personal preference. I just want to protect my clubs. They will get beat up enough from the range sessions and ton of play. Why allow them to get beat even more from travel and chatter, ya know? Go with what you feel...
[/quote]

Hi,
are these the ones from thailand? I had a feeling they were fake, but the seller insists they are real. wtf is the deal w/ these?

i have a set coming too just to look at. who knows if I'll actually use them.

I guess if they suck, I can just file a claim through e-bay since they are advertised as 100% authentic.

thanks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='caseyc1' timestamp='1294526354' post='2883225']
nope, i bought some for mine over winter, i dont care what anybody thinks, to me it would be like never washing and waxing your corvett. Irons are expensive and there is nothing wrong with protecting them from pointless bag chatter.
[/quote]
Agreed 100%!!! I us to depose iron covers until someone bought me some castle bay covers years back. I believe that those iron covers has allowed me to sell my used irons for a preium price because they look so good. If you can get past the looks then go for it!!!!

I guess I'm a little biased because I largely get hand-me-downs through my brother as a pro, but I used iron covers for about a month when I was younger.
I didn't really think people bought irons with the resale in mind. I guess in New Zealand, the market for nice looking blades is pretty darn small compared the US, so there's not much point keeping them absolutely immaculate, putter, yes, driver yes. But irons are the workhorses in my bag, I don't chuck them or slam them in my bag, but it's like new shoes, nice to keep them new while you can. But the amount of covers I pick up from groups in front, I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

But hey, I even know people who don't use a headcovers on their drivers!

[quote name='GBgolfcoach' timestamp='1294526154' post='2883220']
I recently purchased a brand new set of MP-62 irons. They just look so good and I know how bag chatter can mark them up quickly. I bought some nice Mizuno irom covers to protect them. How many other golfers use covers on thier irons??? I wonder if I'm being anal or do you think its a smart move.
[/quote]

The guys who are in love with bag chatter seem to be the same guys I hear whining to the clerks in Golf Galaxy about not being able to get more in trade for their clubs.

When they take the clubs back out of the store to their pickup truck, the truck has a bed liner in it. But that's ok! :D

And it is. But so are iron covers.

I use them. Always have. Always will. Never lost one. Never thought they were a hindrance. In fact, I give them credit for the fact that I've never one time lost an iron or a wedge due to leaving it by a green after chipping.

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

Never understood why people like bag chatter.

My preference is to put covers on them and as the round goes I don't put them on my irons until they are clean. If conditions are perfect then they stay on. If its wet and soggy then they go in the bag until i get home and clean them good. I don't like the look of them but it serves a better purpose as I look to trade these in (52's) for some MP-53's

I'll pass on 'em, but don't knock anyone for using them. I tried 'em once. Didn't care for the trouble to keep putting them on and off. Plus, I take mammoth divots and putting them back in with crud all over them seems counter-productive.

They are made to be beat into the ground. I have several forged set, and if you don't drive your cart like you stole it, you shouldn't bang 'em up too bad.

Weave a towel through them.. I do it sometimes when it's nasty out to wipe the clubhead off before/after I hit.

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1294779870' post='2889417']
[quote name='GBgolfcoach' timestamp='1294526154' post='2883220']
I recently purchased a brand new set of MP-62 irons. They just look so good and I know how bag chatter can mark them up quickly. I bought some nice Mizuno irom covers to protect them. How many other golfers use covers on thier irons??? I wonder if I'm being anal or do you think its a smart move.
[/quote]

[b]The guys who are in love with bag chatter seem to be the same guys I hear whining to the clerks in Golf Galaxy about not being able to get more in trade for their clubs.[/b]

When they take the clubs back out of the store to their pickup truck, the truck has a bed liner in it. But that's ok! :D

And it is. But so are iron covers.

I use them. Always have. Always will. Never lost one. Never thought they were a hindrance. In fact, I give them credit for the fact that I've never one time lost an iron or a wedge due to leaving it by a green after chipping.
[/quote]

On the contrary, the golfers with irons full of bag chatter don't change irons often enough to look for a high(er) trade in value. That's why the clubs have bag chatter.

Bag chatter gives irons character and shows they're worthy enough to be in the bag that long :good:

No doubt, the covers will keep the clubs in better shape, but do you really want the hassle and the overall goofyness factor? To me, those covers are the golf equivilent of a pocket protector. Sorry, but skip'm.

Taylormade M1 10.5* with Diamana Whiteboard S 70g shaft
Titleist 917 D2 3 wood with a Diamana 70 5ct S shaft
Ping Anser 20* hybrid,
Ping Anser 23* hybrid,
Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW with KBS Tour 120 stiff shafts
50*, 54* & 60* Titleist SM6 wedges
Byron Morgan DH89 SS with Super Stroke 1.0 grip

On the contrary, the golfers with irons full of bag chatter don't change irons often enough to look for a high(er) trade in value. That's why the clubs have bag chatter.

Bag chatter gives irons character and shows they're worthy enough to be in the bag that long :good:
[/quote]

Well, there are varying degrees of bag chatter. I guess I'm referring mostly to those who bought something with too small of a head and too stiff of a shaft and are having to dump them. Since they wanted those sticks exposed to impress all their buds they've gotten enough damage to cause the owner to take more of a loss than he thought he would.

I've never looked at a set of really beaten clubs and thought they had character. My thought was that the character that had these didn't have the character to take care of his stuff.

--Rory McIlroy 

The sound bothers me more than anything....

I've never had a guy on the course comment on how beat up my clubs looked, or cared enough to comment that I didn't take care of my stuff.

If they get beat to crap, then they get beat to crap. Buy another set and move on.. It's not that big a of deal to me.

Some like to put covers on their trucks and wax them and baby them. Thats perfectly understandable. Eventually it'll have to be used( or should ) and will get a dent, a gash, and lose it's luster slowly.

Well, there are varying degrees of bag chatter. I guess I'm referring mostly to those who bought something with too small of a head and too stiff of a shaft and are having to dump them. Since they wanted those sticks exposed to impress all their buds they've gotten enough damage to cause the owner to take more of a loss than he thought he would.

I've never looked at a set of really beaten clubs and thought they had character. My thought was that the character that had these didn't have the character to take care of his stuff.
[/quote]

What does too stiff a shaft or too small of a head have to do with bag chatter?
You must have supreme ability and 'high moral character' being able to look down with disdain on anyones golf equipment that doesn't fit into your standards. How dare they play equipment they want to play and in less than pristine shape... :cheesy:

See how ridiculous that sounds?

I don't think Shallowface's point was to mock those that choose to buy clubs with small heads or stiff shafts. If I understand his point, he's saying that, in the event, the clubs you thought would work for you end up not suiting your game and you wish to trade in or sell them in order to find one that does, you now end up taking a hickey because you can't get as much for them as you would have if the set was in better condition.

What do you guys who use iron covers do about your golf shoes? I'd imagine you'd have to wear plastic bags of some sort over them or else they'd get dirty...especially on early morning rounds walking in the dew-swept grass...and what happens when the bottoms get scuffed up?
I'd say you'd better just buy the irons new and keep them in the basement, that way they will always look brand new!

Edit/Disclaimer; I have Pings and the tumbled finish doesn't seem to nick up like the forged Mizunos. Also, resale value is not something I choose to spend my time worrying about. I only change iron sets every couple of years. However, when I see someone with iron covers all I can think about is the first thing I wrote.

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

I'm getting some coffee brewing...

clapping.gif

*The NE Florida Golf Realtor*

Titleist TSi3 9 deg / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX

Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Titleist TSi2 18 deg Hybrid / PX Hazardous Smoke Black RDX
Titleist T100 / Project X 6.0

Titleist Vokey SM5 50/8F

Titleist Vokey SM9 54/10S 58/10S

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

[quote name='Togatown22' timestamp='1294802402' post='2890270']
What do you guys who use iron covers do about your golf shoes? I'd imagine you'd have to wear plastic bags of some sort over them or else they'd get dirty...especially on early morning rounds walking in the dew-swept grass...and what happens when the bottoms get scuffed up?
I'd say you'd better just buy the irons new and keep them in the basement, that way they will always look brand new!

Edit/Disclaimer; I have Pings and the tumbled finish doesn't seem to nick up like the forged Mizunos. Also, resale value is not something I choose to spend my time worrying about. I only change iron sets every couple of years. However, when I see someone with iron covers all I can think about is the first thing I wrote.
[/quote]

The top portion of your post is a pretty lame analogy but hey, it's a free country and your entitled to your own opinion. Some people like their irons to look sharp despite the fact that the bottoms may get scuffed. At least the whole club head doesn't get all beat up. The soles getting scuffed is a natural consequence of coming into contact with the ground. The top portion doesn't have any such requirement. My rationale is that I want the portion that I see to be relatively if not absolutely pristine. It's like seeing idiot marks on your driver or fairway wood. Some people are bugged by this and others are not. Following your analogy, no one should really care but I'm pretty sure that's not the case. Lastly, you use Pings and these clubs are highly resistant to chatter marks (if they even get them at all). Well, you don't change clubs frequently so you don't care if they get beat up. Good for you. In my case, most of my sets are forged and many of them use 1020 carbon steel. Since I like playing with a bunch of different sets, it gives me satisfaction when they still look good. I don't put headcovers on the 2 sets that are cast but I certainly do on all the forged sets except for the MP-68's which I bought used. They already had chatter marks when I got them for cheap and I've accepted this.(By the way, an identical set sold on ebay at that time for about $125 more but they were in much better shape. Apparently, the seller used headcovers. That damn fool!) Besides, this is the set I can use when I know i'll be playing with someone like you with such a strong opinion on keeping clubs unsheathed and "character" marked.

Oh by the way, I take the clubcover insanity a step further. I always buy a spare 6-iron so that I have a club to use in rocky areas if the wedge won't be a suitable club! Everyone's got to deal with other people's idiosyncrasies. It's what makes this world an interesting place. Peace.

This is getting a bit sad. But these types of threads always seem to end up this way.
Unlike some becoming increasingly defensive about their use of iron headcovers. Well Good for you. I personally don't give a toss.
I wonder how many of you have actually witnessed a 'player' like this - pull his nice new shiny forged iron out of its headcover, go through his tedious pre-shot routine, and then proceed to blade it over the green... again. Likely due to a 'concern' with damaging his investment.

They're freaking golf clubs people! Use them (or 'game' them for you youngsters ;)) the way they were intended... "The secret is in the dirt".

[quote name='rge' timestamp='1294801728' post='2890234']
I don't think Shallowface's point was to mock those that choose to buy clubs with small heads or stiff shafts. If I understand his point, he's saying that, in the event, the clubs you thought would work for you end up not suiting your game and you wish to trade in or sell them in order to find one that does, you now end up taking a hickey because you can't get as much for them as you would have if the set was in better condition.
[/quote]

You're right. Never intended to mock anyone.

But I have noticed lately that most of what I see traded in, and usually with very light use, are irons with DG X100s, or drivers with 8.5 lofts, or very stiff shafts, or tour grind wedges. I talk to a lot of people, particularly younger people. In my experience a lot of the purchasing decisions they make (and not just in golf equipment, but in clothes, cars, etc and even who they date) are way too influenced by their peers. As the financial expert Dave Ramsey says, too many people go broke buying stuff they don't need to impress people they don't even like.

Buy what you really need, regardless of what your peers say or think, and take good care of it so you don't have to spend your hard earned money to replace it. That philosophy had a large part in enabling me to retire at 47.

If some find that point of view offensive, fine. I'm hoping someone will be helped by it.

--Rory McIlroy 

[/quote]

Oh by the way, I take the clubcover insanity a step further. I always buy a spare 6-iron so that I have a club to use in rocky areas if the wedge won't be a suitable club! Everyone's got to deal with other people's idiosyncrasies. It's what makes this world an interesting place. Peace.
[/quote]

I do something similar when it comes to practice. I have a spare 5 and 8 iron that I use at the range so as not to wear out my gamers. If you're someplace like Florida where the soil is sandy, you can really chew up a set of irons with just a few range sessions, especially if the range balls are dirty as they often are.

--Rory McIlroy 

golfbum9 wrote, "What does too stiff a shaft or too small of a head have to do with bag chatter?
You must have supreme ability and 'high moral character' being able to look down with disdain on anyones golf equipment that doesn't fit into your standards. How dare they play equipment they want to play and in less than pristine shape...

See how ridiculous that sounds?"

Well, what is it about you or anyone else looking down with disdain on anyone who attempts to protect their investment by using iron covers? How dare they want to keep their equipment in better shape than yours?

See how ridiculous THAT sounds?

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='br61' timestamp='1294764680' post='2888930']
my regular golfing buddy likes keeping his irons in pristine condition so he's got covers for his irons. Recently, he got a very small rock scratch on sole of his 5 and 7 irons, ordered new clubs to replace them. Actually keeps a knife sharpening block in his bag to rub out any scratches on the soles. It's his money and property, I'm used to it and never give it a second thought anymore.

[/quote]

Curious about your buddy's use of a knife sharpening block.

What model of irons does he have?

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='kekoa' timestamp='1294558263' post='2884071']
I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I have some coming. They are super ugly and lime green. Let's see how long they stay on.
[/quote]

You are putting hideous iron covers on your beautiful scratch sticks? You are kidding right?

At least get nice looking ones man!

Scratch prototype iron headcovers! :lol: Or tour issued scratch iron headcovers :cheesy:

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1294867871' post='2892237']

I do something similar when it comes to practice. I have a spare 5 and 8 iron that I use at the range so as not to wear out my gamers. If you're someplace like Florida where the soil is sandy, you can really chew up a set of irons with just a few range sessions, especially if the range balls are dirty as they often are.
[/quote]

I do this too...but I get a 5 and 9. I leave them in my trunk too so I can swing by the range anytime and not have to deal with taking my bag in and out of my car all the time. As for covers...yup, use them. Is what it is and I like to take care of my stuff where I can...seems senseless to not use them. If I thought the other way, I'd yank the putter and wood covers off too.