2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The Mckennon Golf Bag Company

IMAGOLFER

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$799 for a "Sunday BAg" and $85 for ONE headcover....ooookkkkaaayyyyyyy then.......

they might be joining the ranks of YES golf w those price ranges

for some, but certainly not me (also not a fan of the iliac stuff either tho)

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

[quote name='neild76' timestamp='1298673487' post='3008994']
I'm trying to give McKennon the benefit of the doubt, but I can't seem to come to any other conclusion than these are a complete rip-off of MacKenzie bags.
[/quote]

...which are a complete rip off of nearly every two pocket single strap leather carry bag made from 1930 to about 1985. Including Jones Bags, which is under the same ownership as McKennon.

These type of bags are all going to look alike, for the most part. Should we all stop buying every face balanced plumber's neck putter except a Ping?

I have a MacKenzie bag and it's nice. I have seen a McKennon bag and they are nice. I'd like to have one, and will someday.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

I have one and just wrote a post about it last week in a head cover forum. The bag is amazing but more importantly the way the guy runs his company is unlike anyone I have ever dealt with in any business. He has earned my business for life regardless of backorder time or price. I wanted more head covers for the bag he made me...he quoted me two months and said he was sorry but that is backorder time right now...suggested Mackenzie to me as they might be able to do them sooner. I called Mackenzie and nothing...I then wrote them and did hear back...i have never been treated so poorly by a company. Ever. And in writing no less. I actually wrote the guy back later and told him (his name was Tom) I was waiting for an apology from him! So I called McKennon back...told him the story and I had my head covers on my desk in two days. Aside from the fact that my McKennon is lighter than my old Mackenzie and slightly smaller in the opening and the grab loop is in a better place the bags are very similar. After and experience with both places there is no comparison though, McKennon is light years ahead. I agree with the post above...Ping Anser/Scotty? Any set of blades? UPS Fed Ex? Mind you as I mentioned in my other post this guy is being pulled in every direction now...making bags for Tour Players (Fowler, Imada, Crane, TA3, Pat Perez and I think some of them carry the head covers on tour) but he still found time to deal with my dinky little head cover order like it was the most important thing in the world to him. Love his story too....it was amazing how the whole company started and what he has done in such a short time. WIsh the dude the best of luck, he has a fan and customer here for life. Never dealt with Illiac but the bags look ugly...head covers are cool though......

I understand there are only so many ways to make a spoon, but it just seems the McKennon is a carbon copy of the MacKenzie. From the handle, to the finger loop, to the name plate, and even the name--they look like they came from the same set of blueprints. Don't get me wrong, the McKennon looks sweet and I'm sure the customer service is great, but I guess you'd think they'd try to make it a little different.

[quote name='Crimson0516' timestamp='1298732870' post='3010352']
I have one and just wrote a post about it last week in a head cover forum. The bag is amazing but more importantly the way the guy runs his company is unlike anyone I have ever dealt with in any business. He has earned my business for life regardless of backorder time or price. I wanted more head covers for the bag he made me...he quoted me two months and said he was sorry but that is backorder time right now...suggested Mackenzie to me as they might be able to do them sooner. I called Mackenzie and nothing...I then wrote them and did hear back...i have never been treated so poorly by a company. Ever. And in writing no less. I actually wrote the guy back later and told him (his name was Tom) I was waiting for an apology from him! So I called McKennon back...told him the story and I had my head covers on my desk in two days. Aside from the fact that my McKennon is lighter than my old Mackenzie and slightly smaller in the opening and the grab loop is in a better place the bags are very similar. After and experience with both places there is no comparison though, McKennon is light years ahead. I agree with the post above...Ping Anser/Scotty? Any set of blades? UPS Fed Ex? Mind you as I mentioned in my other post this guy is being pulled in every direction now...making bags for Tour Players (Fowler, Imada, Crane, TA3, Pat Perez and I think some of them carry the head covers on tour) but he still found time to deal with my dinky little head cover order like it was the most important thing in the world to him. Love his story too....it was amazing how the whole company started and what he has done in such a short time. WIsh the dude the best of luck, he has a fan and customer here for life. Never dealt with Illiac but the bags look ugly...head covers are cool though......
[/quote]

I had a very similar experience.

I originally bought a single strap Iliac, actually I got it for xmas. When I put the bag on my shoulder it was very uncomfortable so I sent it back for their double strap model. When I received the double strap model I loaded it up and put it on my back and it broke first thing. After that, I semi put it back together and realized it too wasn't going to be very comfortable to carry. The way I see it if you're going to give up a stand bag it better be very comfortable. At that point I decided to return the Iliac, and make calls to both MacKenzie Golf and Mckennon. I spoke with both company's people(actually both owners) that day and explained what I was looking for. Both Todd Rohrer, and MacKenize, and Mike Mckennon were very helpful. I asked Mike McKennon to send me a sample of leather to compare to a set of Iliac headcover I had. As for MacKenzie, after that first day I never heard back from Todd Rohrer at MacKenzie. I called him twice and sent two emails. My thought was, if I can't get a guy to call me back while trying to place a bag order, how am I ever going to get a hold of him if I have a problem. At this point it was full speed ahead with Mckennon and the process began. Mike and I sent 10-15 emails back and forth with my thoughts on the bag's design. He was very prompt in getting back to me quickly. We also spoke a several times on the phones as well to nail down what i was looking for. I then sent Mike the headcovers I was looking to match to the bag. Mike found a distressed leather that match spot on. A couple weeks later, and a few more phone calls, I had a new bag on my doorstep. Couldn't give Mike McKennon higher praise and marks for his product and service to his customers. Classy guy and a great company to do business with.

BC7:
That is interesting about McKennon matching a leather from a competitor because that is exactly what I asked Mackenzie to do..I had this bag from McKennon and asked Mackenzie if they could match the head cover color with the leather color of the bag (which is a dark charcoal) because McKennon was backordred so far. He emailed me back and said "look, I'd love to make you some head covers but you gotta pick a color we have in stock" Then he made me feel like an absolut idiot for buying a McKennon Player's Bag. I still have the emails they pissed me off so much. When Mike McKennon suggested I try Mackenzie if I needed them quicker he was very complimentary about them. Mackenzie just completely turned me off on every level. That being said I didn't deal with Todd, I dealt with Tom who I thought was the new owner but I guess not.

Good info on Illiac. I have never had any experience with their bags so that is go to know

[quote name='Crimson0516' timestamp='1299206643' post='3024213']

Good info on Illiac. I have never had any experience with their bags so that is go to know
[/quote]

It was so uncomfortable I would have been carrying my club in my hands by the 12th. I honestly don't know what anyone was thinking with that bag. Plus with McKennon you have a lifetime warranty, and you actually be able to get a hold of someone if need be.

well, unless you have a very small car, this bag is pointless, I would not be able to even use a bag like that, The mouth of the bag is too small, if you use sticky grips. I use a Titlest staff tour bag, and am riding a cart all the time. If i were walking it still would not be a bag i would buy, No pop out leggs, there is nothing like laying a leather bag down on the wet ground, so you would have to prop this bag up, a 1960 or older bag design, with no benifits.

[quote name='JerryMB1' timestamp='1299246597' post='3025149']
well, unless you have a very small car, this bag is pointless, I would not be able to even use a bag like that, The mouth of the bag is too small, if you use sticky grips. I use a Titlest staff tour bag, and am riding a cart all the time. If i were walking it still would not be a bag i would buy, No pop out leggs, there is nothing like laying a leather bag down on the wet ground, so you would have to prop this bag up, a 1960 or older bag design, with no benifits.
[/quote]

I understand your point, but I would have no use for a Titleist cart bag either...... One could argue there's even less technology in a staff bag.

I'll agree with the comments on McKennon's customer service. I have traded several emails with Mike McKennon about a ordering a bag. Mike sent me leather samples and has been very helpful and prompt in replies.

Taylor Made M2 9.5* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6
Taylor Made M2 Tour 15* Atmos Tour Spec Blue 7
Titleist 913H 19* Diamana White Board
Taylor Made P760 4-P X100
Ping Glide 52
Vokey SM5 56 & 60
Cameron IBBF Laguna 2.5

I will give you another example of McKennon's customer service.....he wrote me last night checking in on my bag (year old) and head covers (month old) and asking bif he could do anything for me. I feel like I am as important now as when I was thinking about weather or not to spend my money with him.

BC7:

DId Illiac offer any warranty on their bag?

• 1 month later...

As I understand the story, McKennon approached MacKenzie about purchasing the company and was told no. So McKennon went out and made his own? Since it's just a bag like so many in the past not sure if I could call it a rip off of Mackenzie.

The major difference from what I can tell is McKennon who was a Nike Golf Exec runs a better business. He is getting his bags noticed certainly by the pros who are ordering them, bags for equipment and clothing manufacturers like Travis Mathews and Ashworth.

I own 4 MacKenzie bags, 2 leather and two canvas. I like them all. My next bag will be a McKennon as I have found him to be more responsive from a customer service point of view. I am just waiting until I decide which new club I will be joining as I want the club logo on the bag.

Dan