2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Cobra S3 Pro

G.Review

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I'd share these pics and a review of this upcoming set from Cobra. Some might know I usually favor JDM stuff..but after seeing this set for the first time posted HERE at GolfWRX, I knew I wanted a set to try.

Cobra S3 Pro Irons...combo set

Pros-

A “tour” club in the hands of the retail market. Cobra has delivered what we’ve been wanting. Tour proven design, using cavity backs in the long irons and muscle back’s in the short irons that flow together perfectly. Soft 1025 Carbon Steel in a beautifully forged head that will be whistling balls towards the green in effortless fashion.

Cons-

Traditional blade players may not be pleased with the generous sole on the muscle backs and may look for something thinner.

Bottom Line-

A combo set that flows so well together. Soft carbon steel that reminds me of the JDM clubs I usually prefer. I was a little worried about the Cobra brand when Puma purchased it but if the S3 Pro Irons are what we can expect in the future from them, look out!

Review----

Cobra S3 Pro Irons

1025 Carbon Steel

3-6 irons- Cavity Back

7-PW-Muscle Back

Shafts- True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 +.5”

Grips-White GP Decade

Ball used during rounds tested- Srixon Z Star and Callaway Tour i(s)

Looks- The King Cobra has evolved. The satin finish of the new Cobra S3 Pro irons is very pleasing to the eye. Simple S3 Pro stamped in the middle of the muscle and the time tested and recognizable Cobra name and logo on the toe all finished with black paint fill. These heads have a simple, yet classy and clean appearance unlike many of the gaudy colors and badges that most other clubs are now coming out with. I’m pretty old and have been playing golf for over 37 years now. Although I’m all for high tech and innovation, nothing pleases me more then something that brings me back to when golf clubs were a whole lot simpler.

CB’s- Perimeter weighted cavity back, weighted towards the sole. Cavity not overly large or deep yet enough to provides a mental bit of confidence towards forgiveness.

MB- Clean lines with two pockets to the left/right of the sweet spot. The pockets transferring weight outwards and towards the sole, adding a touch of forgiveness yet still keeping the solid feel behind the sweet spot.

The overall head shapes are done very well. The high semi-pointed toe reminds me of my old Gauge Japan blades.

Performance/playability- A combo set that actually works. Now that’s a nice surprise. I’ve made my own combo sets with two or three different heads and have always been able to look down and know immediately which head I was using. If not, after a shot or two with each one, I’d probably be able to tell even if the backs were taped up! Maybe I wasn’t too good making my combo set but then again, maybe the sets weren’t designed to do a combo as much as I thought they were.

The S3 Pro MB/CB's using a design the hearkens the past King Cobra Pro MB/CB, but evolved with softer lines, mild shifts in weight in the mb/cb and of course that satin finish feel good together. Like chocolate syrup and vanilla ice cream…this combo set performs well together.

Mild Cavity backs from 3-6 iron with limited offset, modest toplines and soles perform well from various types of lies. Unlike cb’s with deeper cavities, workability is easily conducted yet enough forgiveness is built in to allow the occasional miss hit.

Musclebacks from 7-PW, the scoring clubs. Again limited offset, modest toplines and slightly thinner soles then the cb’s. Easily workable up/down and side to side. Pockets seem to provide a softer feel on miss hits allowing you to skip the usual sting you would expect.

Feel- Made of 1025 carbon steel this forging really surprised me. I have played numerous forgings from the known Japan forging houses and these worked very comparable to them. The sound at impact was noticeable from my first shot with them. I haven’t played a Cobra iron in probably over eight years. Where I expected a similar sound as those or perhaps a Titleist click, these gave a nice lower pitched whoosh to them. I at first considered it was just because I had struck the ball solidly. After playing a couple rounds and range sessions, unfortunately it wasn’t all me!

The first round I compared the feel with Bridgestone J38’s cb’s and Tourstage 701’s. The sound was lower then the Bridgestone’s and comparable with the Tourstage irons. My playing partner marveled at the sound saying they didn’t sound like the usual American club. Gone was the click of past sets. Gone was the harsh feeling that I’d expect from a US OEM. These S3 Pro’s felt super! I can’t even begin to tell you how surprised I was with them. They truly were the opposite of what I had imagined they would feel like. The softness made the ball feel as if it was stuck to the face just a second longer than you’d expect.

I don't know how Cobra forged the 1025 Carbon but whatever process they used, they got it right.

Overall bottom line- Cobra is in good hands with Puma. Sure this design may have originated while Cobra was with Acushnet but the team moved over and grew. More minds working together to get what we golfers want. The looks, the feel, the flow of combo irons that the Pro’s play.

For the lower handicap golfer who’s looking for the forgiveness of a cavity back and the ability to work the ball with the scoring clubs, look no further. The Cobra S3 Pro irons have made me proud to now have a US branded club back in my bag.

index-2.jpg

index-3.jpg

index-6.jpg

index-7.jpg

index-8.jpg

index-4.jpg

index-10.jpg

index-11.jpg

index-9.jpg

index-13.jpg

index-14.jpg

• 3 months later...

I currently game a set of Mizuno MP-53's. Today at a demo day I was out to find a driver, turns out I hit my Cobra L5V better than anything there. Anyway, I was tired of hitting drivers so I decided to mess around with irons. I hit some AP2's, Titty MB's, CB's, Callaway Razrs, TM, CB and MB and then the S3 Pros. Oh my! I would've traded in my MP-53's on the spot had I not just bought them 3 weeks ago. I hit 50+ balls with the 5, 7, and 9 irons and was in love.

First of all they felt great, nice soft feel with a great sound. Second, they were as accurate as anything I've ever hit and miles more forgiving than I ever would've anticipated. I'm a low single digit, 2, yet I've always played GI irons until 3 weeks ago when I got my MP's. I went with the 53's because I had a mental block that I couldn't hit a true "players" club. Today swinging the S3 Pro changed that in my mind and now I have a decision to make.

Why GOD why did I go to demo day today??????

Justin

• 1 month later...

These are looking likely to kick my MP68's out of my bag. Cobra has made a super set of irons here, weight is perfect and dare I say it the feel is as good as the Mizunos. I walked away after hitting these for the first time with a big smile on my face.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Taylormade Stealth Pro
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

Best feeling irons I have ever hit, and I've owned Scratch and hit Scratch TD and two sets of Miuras, and was convinced that my Adams CB1 irons were a 5-year set. Now it's the S3 Pros, these look and feel better than any iron I've ever seen. As good as they look, they feel even better. Incredibly soft forging that have been no harder to game than my Scratch EZ-1/AR-1 combo and CB1s, in fact the 4I has become my "go to" club. Great off the tee and long, high and straight off the deck. I can't imagine there is an iron set that can stack up to the S3 Pros in all areas...look, feel and most importantly, results.

Cobra Aerojet 10.5 +1.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li S
Cobra LTDx 5w PX Hzrdus green 5.5

Cobra King Utility 20.5 Elements Chrome S 20.5

Mizuno 243 5-P DG S200
Corey Paul 52, 56, 60 
Mizuno OMOI 3 black 35"
Emeritus set:  Mizuno MP20 HMB 5, MMC 6-8, MP 9-P KBS C-taper Lite R 

• 8 months later...

Hit these at a demo day last year when they came out and immediately wanted a set. I have been playing combo sets for several years now to include Titleist 735s and ZBs , Nike split cavity/TW blades, /and last year played a set of Cobra Pro CB/MBs. I was really looking forward to the Nike VR Pro Combos, but the S3 Pros just blew them out of the water in every aspect. Hands down the best combo set I have ever played or hit!

Finally after waiting almost a year I picked up a set. Only have one round with them, but so far they are outstanding. They are so soft and do not have the clicky feel of prior Cobra irons or Titleist forged. Hands down the most underrated or over looked forged iron in the market. I know there would be a ton of converts from Mizuno and Titleist if the S3 pros were given a chance. Even though they are small heel to toe and a players club, they are surprisingly easy to hit. If your looking for a forged players club do yourself a favor and give these a shot, you won't be disappointed!

Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

Just picked up a set of these, used (4 of the 8 were brand new in plastic) 3-PW in stock S300 off the bay for 450 shipped to Canada after hitting a 7-iron at golftown. twgolf, you're right, they are surprisingly easy to hit for a small blade and off-centre hits aren't punished as badly as I expected.

I came from a set of TM R9 TP's and it's amazing the difference in feel when you hit one flush.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to TGW looking for a blade set from either TW, Mizu, or titleist. After a few hours of testing, passed by a cobra s3 pro 7 iron. Took a couple of swings and I found my next clubs / love with an inanimate object man_in_love.gif. The feel of these irons are just addicting. The soft yet solid contact makes my shots feel effortless and the distance gain was just cherry. Cobra killed it with these, can't wait to see what they come up with next.