Merion Golf Club

jleclair10

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been trying my hardest to get on Merion Golf Club. I live in the area and played all the other local clubs. I have even played Pine Valley. So why is Merion so hard to get on? I am willing to pay greens fees as well if anyone has a solution feel free to write back.

Do you know any members? Are you a member of a club and your pro could call their pro? Also some clubs just have a very strict policy that all guest play is member invite, it could be the case at Merion, I'm sure at some point you will meet a member or someone who can get you on.

I have been trying my hardest to get on Merion Golf Club. I live in the area and played all the other local clubs. I have even played Pine Valley. So why is Merion so hard to get on? I am willing to pay greens fees as well if anyone has a solution feel free to write back.

Do you know any members? Are you a member of a club and your pro could call their pro? Also some clubs just have a very strict policy that all guest play is member invite, it could be the case at Merion, I'm sure at some point you will meet a member or someone who can get you on.

You can also try calling them and politely asking what their policy is on unaccompanied guests. Many times clubs have policies which allow people to play without knowing anyone. Normally you pay the unaccompanied guest rate which is higher.

Not all clubs allow this as Sam mentioned, and for some reason I think Merion is HIGHLY likely to be one of those places, but hey it's worth a shot, all they can do is say NO! and slam the phone down, right?

You can also try calling them and politely asking what their policy is on unaccompanied guests. Many times clubs have policies which allow people to play without knowing anyone. Normally you pay the unaccompanied guest rate which is higher.

Not all clubs allow this as Sam mentioned, and for some reason I think Merion is HIGHLY likely to be one of those places, but hey it's worth a shot, all they can do is say NO! and slam the phone down, right?

I bet Merion probably is this way, I was surprised to find out Dallas National is this way. They won't let me play next week unless I am a member invite. Pretty tough policy and they knew I was PGA.

Merion is just weird, I have played Aronomik and all the other clubs but I can't seem to get invited to play Merion. I have even asked members and telling them I would throw them money plus my greens fees. I am not sure what the deal is with this club.

Please don't take this the wrong way but maybe that's your problem. Don't ask just be friendly with members and don't bring it up and maybe then they will invite you.

• 3 months later...

Only way to get on is to be an invited guest of a member and even then there are often times restrictions on the amount of guests that they allow during certain times of the year and when they are hosting large events (ie. guests were not allowed during the weeks leading up to the US Amateur). I have relatives that are members and fortunately get to play it quite a bit, but I feel that there are better public courses in the area to spend the money on.

Only way to get on is to be an invited guest of a member and even then there are often times restrictions on the amount of guests that they allow during certain times of the year and when they are hosting large events (ie. guests were not allowed during the weeks leading up to the US Amateur). I have relatives that are members and fortunately get to play it quite a bit, but I feel that there are better public courses in the area to spend the money on.

Since you have played it do you mind giving your reasons for rather playing some of the other public tracks in the area?

The Golf Association of Philadelphia's Open CHampionship is being held there this coming summer ...i cannot wait til the event...the course setup will be amazing. AND i will be playing in it.

goose

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

• 1 month later...

Merion is a great club, as I too have played it being a member of the PGA. A lot of times being with your club pro and having the right connections are a great way to get to places. A lot of highly private clubs are also a LOT easier to get on in the winter, where they dont mind putting one "referenced out" member of another club on their greens for 300+ dollars. But they are right, there are MUCH better clubs in the area.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since you have played it do you mind giving your reasons for rather playing some of the other public tracks in the area?

Too me it is nice to say that you have played there, but it is the type of course that you need to play a lot to score well on. I play to an index of 2.1 and have only broken 80 two or three times out of maybe the 30 times I have played there. I prefer to play either AC Country Club, Sand Barrens or even Glenn Mills over Merion since I like the layouts. I was not trying to slight Merion at all, just point out that there are a lot of really nice public courses in the area that are worth playing.

My company host an invitational tournament there every year (after moving from Hartefeld) and that is also where our company outing is. This will be my first year that I am working there during the event and I am really looking forward to it. I just watched the Gary Player episode of Playing Lessons from the Pros to get a look at the course.

also the Exelon invitational is at the ACE Club and CHIII and Furyk will be playing in it

That would be the company I currently work for. I just left public accounting after many years and looking forward to one of my perks being this golf tournament. I have been to the tournament a few times when it was at Hartefeld.

• 10 months later...

I have a friend who is a member at Merion. You have to have a member invite you and he has to play with you, no exceptions.

I have been lucky and get to play Merion 2 or 3 times a year for the last 25 years. Steve has been a member for 30 years. He was a scratch golfer who got a scholarship to Wake Forrest. Steve was asked to join Merion because they were looking for a young guy for their teams. Merion is very competitive locally and is always looking for a good young player with the right bloodlines.

Once you get on Merion the real test begins. It has very difficult rough that in some places is so deep that 6 inches off the 1st cut you can’t even see your ball. The rough’s grass is like a comb over haircut on a bald guy and the ball will fall under the comb over. Many times I have rolled just off the fairway and lost my ball no more than a foot or two off the 1st cut. Once in the rough just try to get back in the fairway advancing toward the hole. In most cases that is the best you can do. Trying to be heroic, going for the green from the rough will only get you in more trouble. Merion is a very difficult track. One time Steve told me “there is nothing a member here hates more than a visitor saying the course was easy or quoting a low score.” Because the course is short the members feel they need to protect it.

With the US Open returning in 2013 I am sure there will be a lot of press as the date gets a little closer. The last time the Open was at Merion was 1981 when David Graham was the only player to break par for the tournament. I am sure the members will want the same this time.

Good Luck

Bill

Just to tease you a little more, Steve has also got me on Pine Valley (1 time) and Oakmont (4 times) but those are another story…..