2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Anyone done Scotland alone?

DH48

I've got some time in August and a ton of frequent flyer miles. I'm considering going to Scotland for some golf. I've been there twice but never golfed so I'm comfortable getting around the country and driving. My thought was that as a single tee times wouldn't be as difficult because they'd just put me in an open slot to round out a group.

I'd want to play the Old Course and would really like to get up and play Royal Dornach. I've never made it north of Inverness and would like to take a day or so to head up that way.

My question really boils down to whether or not it is realistic to get on the better courses as a single.

Thanks for any help.

DH

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i used to live over there and would often play by myself. even as a single it wasnt easy to get tee times on the old course. much better than trying to get a foursome on, but not easy. for people that pay in advance and book two and threesomes, they are reluctant to pair up singles. my best bets were with other singles and twosomes that didnt mind. depends a lot on when you go too. never had much of an issue until april-may. then more people come and its less fun.

We went over as a family in the summer of 2009. I'm the only golfer, so I played as a single at Crail, the Old Course, and Dornoch. Crail was easy, there weren't too many people on the course and the starter paired me with two gentlemen from England. I walked on at the Old Course, and got out around 0730. I got to the starter's shack way before him, probably 0545 or so, and there was already one person there. He and I got paired with a twosome in the third or fourth match of the day - it was fantastic.

Dornoch was not very crowded, either. I was paired with another American, and we played in the afternoon. I remember it being very windy.

As a side note, my daughter loved it there so much that she applied to the University of St. Andrews, and is now a second-semester freshman there. She lives a block or two from the Old Course...

[quote name='PlusFours' timestamp='1303765880' post='3184964']

As a side note, my daughter loved it there so much that she applied to the University of St. Andrews, and is now a second-semester freshman there. She lives a block or two from the Old Course...
[/quote]

that was my second choice university... lovely wee town... how does she feel with the bars closing so early???

to the OP most courses are fine about it here... where you thinking of playing?? you cant be coming all that way for just 2 courses???

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1303766644' post='3184999']
[quote name='PlusFours' timestamp='1303765880' post='3184964']

[/quote]

that was my second choice university... lovely wee town... how does she feel with the bars closing so early???

to the OP most courses are fine about it here... where you thinking of playing?? you cant be coming all that way for just 2 courses???
[/quote]

Hadn't figured all the courses I want to play. Definitelynthose two. Maybe carnoustie as well. I'd probablychartnit out for a sensible route.

Definitely open to suggestions.

It's very easy as a single. Get in line really early at the Olde Course. Once I got off at 8:10 with a three ball. Another time it was more like 9:30. 'Course I was there at sun up.

You'll find the private courses like Royal Dornoch, Royal Troon to be available to the public, though maybe at less desirable tee times. When I played Royal Troon, my time was around 10:30 or 11:00

The Olde Course at Prestwick is a must. The Championship Course at Carnoustie is the hardest course in the world. My caddie told me he watched Tiger shoot 88 in his first practice round there.

I'd go back in a minute.

I've heard Carnoustie is a bear.

I don't mind teeing off a little later if that's what I have to do. It stays light so late that time of year that there is plenty of time for other stuff in the evening--or 36 holes if it strikes my fancy.

Still open to other course suggestions. I'll probably want to focus on one or two areas. My thought now is to start at St. Andrews, move up the coast and then make the long drive to Dornach. I can go from Dornach back to Edinburgh (one of my favorite cities in the world) and spend a day or so there before heading home.

A friend made a solo trip to Scotland last summer. By all accounts, an epic trip. If you ask me, solo is the best way because there will be no other person impeding on your goals. And naturally, his goals were to play as much golf on as many different courses as was humanly possible - 36 a day minimum. As a solo, you have the ultimate flexibility to alter plans and go with the flow. He is the type that is very gregarious and easily fits in with most any group he was paired with. Typically would end up with invites to join the locals at the pub afterward or for a future round at a different club. In fact, one day he played with a fellow who turned out to be a member at Muirfield who ended up inviting him to the club for the traditional 36 hole day with lunch!

And as far as where to play. You mention the "best" courses - these are more like the "well-known" courses, where demand is higher as are the fees. Up around Dornoch, there are dozens of great but virtually unknown courses to play.

I say go for it!

[quote name='DH48' timestamp='1303826577' post='3186834']

I don't mind teeing off a little later if that's what I have to do. It stays light so late that time of year that there is plenty of time for other stuff in the evening--or 36 holes if it strikes my fancy.

Still open to other course suggestions. I'll probably want to focus on one or two areas. My thought now is to start at St. Andrews, move up the coast and then make the long drive to Dornach. I can go from Dornach back to Edinburgh (one of my favorite cities in the world) and spend a day or so there before heading home.
[/quote]

In june i have played in almost dark at 1130pm... so yes certainly light and almost light by 330am... i am heading out to play at 7 tonight and will prob play till just before 9...

i live in aberdeen and my dad will be the captain at Royal Aberdeen come next week(vice right now)... it is a far better course than St Andrews, Kingsbarns to name but a few -

http://www.royalaberdeengolf.com/

I am not a member there but... What level of player are you???

I played Castle Stuart, on your way to Dornoch up east coast and its brilliant... has the Scottish open there this year... i am heading to play there in next month or so...

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1303828089' post='3186897']

[/quote]

In june i have played in almost dark at 1130pm... so yes certainly light and almost light by 330am... i am heading out to play at 7 tonight and will prob play till just before 9...

i live in aberdeen and my dad will be the captain at Royal Aberdeen come next week(vice right now)... it is a far better course than St Andrews, Kingsbarns to name but a few -

[url="http://www.royalaberdeengolf.com/"]http://www.royalaberdeengolf.com/[/url]

I played Castle Stuart, on your way to Dornoch up east coast and its brilliant... has the Scottish open there this year... i am heading to play there in next month or so...
[/quote]

I've heard good things about Castle Stuart.

I'm currently in the mid teens but hope to get that down a stroke or two by the end of the summer. Don't know how I'll adjust to links golf though.

Mainly I try to play fast, enjoy the outdoors and have a good time!

[quote name='DH48' timestamp='1303829817' post='3186970']
[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1303828089' post='3186897']

[/quote]

[url="http://www.royalaberdeengolf.com/"]http://www.royalaberdeengolf.com/[/url]

[/quote]

I've heard good things about Castle Stuart.

I'm currently in the mid teens but hope to get that down a stroke or two by the end of the summer. Don't know how I'll adjust to links golf though.

Mainly I try to play fast, enjoy the outdoors and have a good time!
[/quote]

the greens are not amazing but course is only 2 years old...

i know at royal aberdeen they are piling sand on the areas before the greens so they are rock hard and the american walker cup players wont know how to play it!!!

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

[quote name='DH48' timestamp='1303740009' post='3183703']
I've got some time in August and a ton of frequent flyer miles. I'm considering going to Scotland for some golf. I've been there twice but never golfed so I'm comfortable getting around the country and driving. My thought was that as a single tee times wouldn't be as difficult because they'd just put me in an open slot to round out a group.

I'd want to play the Old Course and would really like to get up and play Royal Dornach. I've never made it north of Inverness and would like to take a day or so to head up that way.

My question really boils down to whether or not it is realistic to get on the better courses as a single.

Thanks for any help.

DH
[/quote]

I went to Scotland with my non-golfing wife in '09, and I played those two courses, and one other not well known course in Ayrshire. To get on the Old Course, I was fortunate to have a contact who was able to pair me up with two other singles to get into the daily ballot, and I was picked on Saturday for a starting time on Monday. You can't get into the ballot as a single, to my knowledge. I've heard stories of singles meeting in pubs and entering the ballot together. The advantage, of course, is that you'll have a known starting time, rather than the usual method of singles getting on, by showing up early at the starter's shack and waiting to get paired up with a group going out.

As for Royal Dornoch, you need to submit a request to be allowed to play, which you can do through their website. As long as you're respectful, I'm sure you'll have no problem getting on, and they'll pair you up with another group and you'll have a tee time and everything. It was cool, when I played there -- I got paired up with a group of rich guys, including a former governor, and one of the Irish Tenors (playing in the group ahead).

I dream of moving to Dornoch, that's how much I loved the course an the town.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I did a solo golf trip to Ayrshire (Scotland's West Coast) when my son was in school in London. It was fantastic. Royal Troon is expensive and not my favorite. However, I highly recommend Prestwick, Western Gales (a must play), Glasgow Gales and Dundonald as 4 excellent courses that are very close to one another. Turnberry is about 45 minutes away. Ailsa is a great course but expensive. You can also play the Kintyre course at Turnberry. The best B&B I've stayed at anywhere is in Troon, overlooking Royal Troon. It's called Sandhill House. If you are in the area of Prestwick or Troon you must stay there. You can walk out the back door on to Royal Troon. I played as a single at all of those places and was welcomed like a long time member. The folks at Glasgow Gales were as nice as you'll find anyhwere.

If you go to Fife, besides all of the St Andrews courses and Kingsbarns, you should consider Crail(Balcomie course), Elie, Lundin and Leven, all of which are links. Try Ladybank for an inland change of pace.

In East Lothian the must plays are are Gullane #2 and North Berwick West. Also Muirfield, but it can be difficult to get a tee time as a single and it is expensive. Another good one is Dunbar

[quote name='sabram' timestamp='1303866294' post='3188542']
The folks at Glasgow Gailes were as nice as you'll find anywhere.
[/quote]

+1 on this. This was the third course I played while in Scotland, and while the course itself couldn't really compare to Royal Dornoch or the Old Course, it was one of the friendliest places I came across in the whole country.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='DH48' timestamp='1303897250' post='3189499']
Has anyone played Tain? I think driving way up north would be cool and if the course is good that's a bonus.
[/quote]

There's several outstanding courses in the Higlands -- Dornoch is actually north of there. Added bonus - the Glenmorangie distillery is also nearby.:hi:

What do y'all think of this as a first draft. Remember, I want to play golf but also want to see the country, relax and play it by ear as much as possible.

Day 1--arrive Edinburgh, drive to Aberdeen and take the night ferry to the Orkney islands
Day 2--get over jet lag, see some sights in the Orkneys--including highland park distillery--maybe play one of the courses there as a get the kinks out
Day 3--ferry to the highlands drive down to Dornach, hope to play the Struie course in the evening
Day 4--play Dornach, if I get out early enough head down to Tain and try to play there
Day 5-- play Tain if I didn't already and head towards Aberdeen
Day 6--play Cruden Bay, head for St. Andrews
Day 7--play Carnoustie or try to get on the old course
Day 8--do whichever I didn't do on Day 7
Day 9--spend the day in Ediburgh
Day 10--depart

Obviously, there is a fair amount of driving in this. I could save some by leaving out the Orkney's but I'd reall like to see them. Also, I don't really want to get off the plane and rush to the Old Course and if I want to start up north then that would mean getting off the plane and immediately having a very long drive. This way I have a few hours to aberdeen and can get some rest on the ferry.

Thoughts?

well edinburgh to aberdeen is only a 2 hour drive... 123 miles...

can you not fly into aberdeen???

orkney is wicked and some cool things to see but not done since i was a kid...

As far as playing Cruden bay... my dad is a member there and Royal aberdeen... i played royal aberdeen monday with him as Cruden bay is in bad condition - essentially there was a new green keeper there last year and he didn't really understand links greens... planted some grass that wasn't suited for links and it died leaving very patchy greens... Play royal aberdeen over Cruden bay any day anyway by June it will be in amazing condition with the walker cup there only 2 months later...

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1303922823' post='3190315']

As far as playing Cruden bay... my dad is a member there and Royal aberdeen... i played royal aberdeen monday with him as Cruden bay is in bad condition - essentially there was a new green keeper there last year and he didn't really understand links greens... planted some grass that wasn't suited for links and it died leaving very patchy greens... Play royal aberdeen over Cruden bay any day anyway by June it will be in amazing condition with the walker cup there only 2 months later...
[/quote]

Yeah, that's why I figured driving to Aberdeen and getting on the ferry would be better than trying to drive straight to the Highlands.

Sad to hear that about Cruden Bay, I'd heard really good things about the course.

Is Royal Aberdeen going to be hard to get onto in August since it is close to the Walker Cup?

Yeah, that's why I figured driving to Aberdeen and getting on the ferry would be better than trying to drive straight to the Highlands.

Sad to hear that about Cruden Bay, I'd heard really good things about the course.

Is Royal Aberdeen going to be hard to get onto in August since it is close to the Walker Cup?

Things may change for Cruden bay by then but from speaking to my dad he isn't hopeful...

Royal aberdeen only has 450ish members and is never busy... was chatting to my dad about this on monday me and him in a 2 ball - it took until the 14th when we finally saw others playing the course... My dad is on the walker cup committee and i am sure he said that they are only closing for a week before it...

<div><br></div><div>here is cruden bay last year -</div><div><br></div><div><div>view to the castle which bram stokers dracula was based on...</div><div>dsc07403z.th.jpg</div><div><br></div><div>short par 4 was only about 250 yards</div><div>dsc07402f.th.jpg</div><div><br></div><div>view over the first 7 holes and the nine hole course</div><div>dsc07405h.th.jpg</div><div><br></div><div>view to some of the best holes - par five there is best hole on course</div><div>dsc07406m.th.jpg</div></div><div><br></div><div><div>here is me at top of one of the tees...</div><div><br></div><div>d7b00076160833.gif</div><div><br></div><div>view off another tee...</div><div><br></div><div>c4f99976160840.gif</div><div><br></div><div>the new hole that opened last week...</div><div><br></div><div>cb72d076160842.gif</div><div><br></div><div>view along the beach...</div><div><br></div><div>37dd3d76160846.gif</div></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>Royal aberdeen -</div><div><br></div><div><div>first 9 downwind - par 3 234 yards 6 iron</div><div>second 9 into wind - par 3 156 yards 4 iron</div><div><br></div><div>the 234 yard par 3</div><div>dsc07340.th.jpg</div><div><br></div><div>view from tee up beach</div><div>dsc07341q.th.jpg</div><div><br></div><div>i was in the bunker</div><div>dsc07342p.th.jpg</div><div><br></div><div>some people wouldnt even make the fairway</div><div>dsc07344f.th.jpg</div><div><br></div><div>the hole i was about to chip in for birdie on</div><div>dsc07345h.th.jpg</div><div><br></div><div>Massive drive into wind had 150 to hole and was short with a 5 iron into left bunker</div><div>dsc07347l.th.jpg</div><div><br></div><div>had 3 birdies... and still finished 16 over... my dad play off 3 there and was about the same... so hard in the wind... finished double, double, triple.... was fun though...</div></div>

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

I think someone's talking from the wrong orifice...

[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1303922823' post='3190315']my dad is a member there and Royal aberdeen... i played royal aberdeen monday with him as Cruden bay is in bad condition[/quote]

Greens were double cut yesterday for the first time this year and including the 2 greens most affected by the snow/ice damage over the winter, they played pretty darn good last night, given time of year and considering the temperatures we've been having haven't been the best to promote the growth of early season grass.

[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1303922823' post='3190315']essentially there was a new green keeper there last year and he didn't really understand links greens... planted some grass that wasn't suited for links and it died leaving very patchy greens...[/quote]

Total and utter sh..e - There's been a rolling program to change the grass on the greens from poa annua and meadow grass to fescue; it's gone far better since the arrival of new green keeper (he was previously at Royal Dornach... and if your father knows so much about green keeping maybe he should have applied for the job.) The greens that are patchy, well it's the now weaker poa annua and meadow grasses that have died, which combined with some early season overseeding with fescue should see things right.

[b][size="1"][i]Don't believe everything you read on the internet - it isn't all true....[/i][/size][/b]

[quote name='wooky114' timestamp='1304016847' post='3193814']
I think someone's talking from the wrong orifice...

[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1303922823' post='3190315']my dad is a member there and Royal aberdeen... i played royal aberdeen monday with him as Cruden bay is in bad condition[/quote]

Greens were double cut yesterday for the first time this year and including the 2 greens most affected by the snow/ice damage over the winter, they played pretty darn good last night, given time of year and considering the temperatures we've been having haven't been the best to promote the growth of early season grass.

[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1303922823' post='3190315']essentially there was a new green keeper there last year and he didn't really understand links greens... planted some grass that wasn't suited for links and it died leaving very patchy greens...[/quote]

Total and utter sh..e - There's been a rolling program to change the grass on the greens from poa annua and meadow grass to fescue; it's gone far better since the arrival of new green keeper (he was previously at Royal Dornach... and if your father knows so much about green keeping maybe he should have applied for the job.) The greens that are patchy, well it's the now weaker poa annua and meadow grasses that have died, which combined with some early season overseeding with fescue should see things right.

[b][size="1"][i]Don't believe everything you read on the internet - it isn't all true....[/i][/size][/b]
[/quote]

well if i am wrong then sorry... but i can only repeat what i was told...

as far as my dad he was told that by other members at the club so wasnt him that made it up...and it is right in some manners - the course is in not good condition right now...

last year the course was in better condition in May than it was in August and September...

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

[quote]well if i am wrong then sorry... but i can only repeat what i was told...[/quote]

It appears to me that there's a been a fair bit of assumption and you know what they say about assumption...

[quote]as far as my dad he was told that by other members at the club so wasnt him that made it up...and it is right in some manners - the course is in not good condition right now...[/quote]

I'm intrigued as to where/when this 'straw poll' took place however I'm happy to hazard a guess that it was most likely in the cosy surroundings of the Royal Aberdeen clubhouse... next time he's running a canvas of the Cruden Bay membership, he/you might like to consider consulting all the members.

...then again I reckon he'd be better devoting the his time and efforts to the fulfilling his duties as the Captain of Royal Aberdeen.

[quote]last year the course was in better condition in May than it was in August and September...[/quote]

Well I'm sure the Walker Cup teams will find it more than suitable when they have a practise day at Cruden Bay prior to the event.

FWIW, I once stopped in Scotland on my way back from Frankfurt (as a personal reward to myself). I also wanted to play some courses that I had missed on previous trips (Dornoch for geographic reasons and Carnoustie since I had been told on previous trips that it was not in good condition).

I flew into Edinburgh from London and drove to St. Andrews. Got up at 4:15 to get on waiting list to play Old Course (bring you handicap card!) before driving to Kingsbarns for an afternoon tee time. Next day drove to Carnoustie. Next drove to play Nairne and then up to Dornoch. Flew back to London from Inverness.

Have not played Royal Aberdeen, Cruden Bay or Crail but would like to. Royal Dornoch is near the top of courses I've played in the world; Carnoustie among the toughest. I also enjoyed Kingsbarns.

I have not played Tain, but I'd consider Nairne if I were you.

If cost is not an issue, a stay at Skibo Castle (not far from Dornoch) is extraordinary. Very expensive, however.