2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

thought it was breakthrough week...

maguy1970

NEPGT action
After some PM's back and forth about Atkinson a while ago before it got rained out, I had high hopes that this would be the week HomStylz broke through on the NEPGT. He had told me about how short the course was, with the doglegs and he would only have to hit 4-5-6 irons off most tees. They must have had that course TRICKED OUT!!!

Despite a 95, I hope HomStylz keeps his head up and shows all the jealous ones who envy that dreams can come true!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After some PM's back and forth about Atkinson a while ago before it got rained out, I had high hopes that this would be the week HomStylz broke through on the NEPGT. He had told me about how short the course was, with the doglegs and he would only have to hit 4-5-6 irons off most tees. They must have had that course TRICKED OUT!!!

Despite a 95, I hope HomStylz keeps his head up and shows all the jealous ones who envy that dreams can come true!

Too bad. The course is not playing that tough but word is it does have a few "stupid" holes. Only 6500 or so and averaging 75 for 1st round for the field.

I talked to three friends out there, during practice rounds, and one today. Two are -1 and another is +3. The +3 guy said he hit it terrible. Can't imagine what 95 felt like. :cheesy:

Guess he can keep trying until, like everyone else, he finds out if he is cut out to be a tour pro or not.

I just hope it is not his knee again, and maybe it is just the swing changes he has been working on as he mentions on his myspace page. It would be a shame to see a kid with talent and desire cut down due to injury. Anyone remember Bo Jackson?

I know the NEPGT has an 86 rule, but I am thinking they may make an exception for Jon as he has mentioned in the past how good for the tour he is, in the eyes of the tour director, despite wearing crazy shorts at hotels on the road!

Homstylz is definately what the sport of golf needs. He brings style, flare, and a "No holds barred" attitude to the normally reserved game we all love. I'm of the opinion that a petition should be started to aquire AT LEAST one exemption into a PGA tour stop for Homstylz. The world needs to see what we here at GolfWRX and those on the NEPGT have been fortunate enough to experience.

Jealous Ones Still Envy.

Let's not turn this into any sort of bashing.

Best of luck to Hom!

It's kind of like the thread here about breaking 80... Once Hom makes a cut, well, let the snowball effect begin!

I, for one, am glad he has the support and friendship of so many guys out on that tour. This can't be easy to go through, but if anyone knows what it's like to struggle, it's these guys who are trying to make a living swinging the sticks.

Again, Go HomStylz!

I would imagine Ari at Scratch is thinking the same thing about the cuts/getting the ball rolling.

I personally have never played Scratch clubs, but from what everyone tells me they are phenomenal examples of craftmanship at it's finest. With that kind of work, it will be great when Hom breaks through and gets their name out!

Similar to above post, i think it's great Jon has tons of quality sponsors and friends helping him through this difficult period of his career.

Dude, the guy who carried for him said it was his short game. The kid CRACKED drivers with his swing speed!!!! His knee should be fully healed by now, so I am thinking it is a short game issue.

You see the guys on the real Tour struggle with putts and chips, think about how that affects a guy trying to even earn his way on that Tour?

I'd venture to guess that maybe Hom isn't spending enough time on the short game. We all know from his posts that his swing speed is phenomenal and that he can crush the ball off the tee, but we also all know that your rounds are determined, for the most part, by your short game and putting. C'mon Homstylz, get off the range and over to the chipping area and putting green!!!! More than one person had made a living off of raw talent, and so can you. How about an update????

J.O.S.E.

Seahawk (or Juan Epstein if you prefer)

I am pretty confident that HomStylz will provide the board an update when he can. I think one of the reasons that SOOOOO many people were pulling for Jon was his honesty and openness in discussing his game, sponsors, etc, etc, etc. It would be great to have a WRX'er like that playing on any tour successfully and able to provide us with the behind the scenes insight.

That actually raises another point possibly. Jon Hom just might be trying to make too many people happy with his game. As we are aware, jealous ones still envy, so he has all those people to contend with. Then you have his sponsors. I am sure these folks, while trying to help Jon, all have their own opinions about what he could be doing to improve their investment in his game. It is probably both a blessing and a curse to have so much sponsor backing!

Anyways, again, I am confident Jon will let us know what's up. I would love to know what's going on with the 460TP he is testing. Perhaps despite his prodigious length, there have been some accuracy issues, so going onto a new driver might be the key to bringing home his first oversized check!

maguy1970,

Those are angles that I, for one, have not even considered. Insight is truly the key to clarity. With the prssure of performing at such a high level, a level that I feel certain I will never achieve golf-wise, it MUST get into the proverbial "kitchen" of even those playing at elite levels. I for one don't have the jewels, cajones, nads (or pick your own euphemism) to not fold in pressure situations at times (ask my golf buddies who enjoy pressing me!). I can only hope that Jon will read these posts of support, and realize that there are those that have never met him that are supporting his endeavor, albeit non-monetary. Jon, a mental change can be every bit as important and difficult as a swing change. Hang in there bud, since turning a pro, it's more than a game for you, it's a living.

J.O.S.E.

PS, I know I'd love a current WITB post with a synopsis of how each club is working for you presently.

Wolfgame,

I do not like that you can take some shots at HomStylz, this thread will get closed as bashing, and he will not have the forum to communicate with WRX'ers who support him.

Jon has very plausible reasons for his past performance. I can't wait until he gets back on the board and gives us the real reasons behind what is going down. Red Tail next week is a great course for a kid who can simply overpower a course like Hom can from what both not only he says, but from guys who have played with him.

I hope anyone who is trying to "make it" performs well....but is it probable to think that a person who cannot break 90 for 2 years on a regional circuit will be able to "make it"? I do not want to be negative, and wish him well, but realistically....will it happen?

Wolfgame,

Here's the thing, though: Homs posting 90 plus scores time and time again, WD'ing and NC'ing left and right, but the fact remains, he's still out there plugging away, week after laborious week!! He's got to have something up his sleeve! Why else would he continue to enter these tournaments and pay the entry fees? There was a pic posted of him, sporting his J. Linds as always, in the deep DEEP rough in one tournament. I studied that picture for literally minutes. I saw it, it was there, the determination was in this kid's eye. You couple that determination, with a seemingly endless cash flow (none of my business to be sure) and throw in the support of fellow GolfWRX members, and there's something special that's going to happen. It's too late for me. I'll never have that "IT" factor that the tour director and his sponsors see, but lemme tell you, I'm getting on the Homstylz band wagon right now. I don't want to miss that ride.

J.O.S.E

I can appreciate that making a living playing golf can be tough....and when it is all on the line...the playing gets tougher. I would really like to hear what it is like, as it is something that I will never be part of. I appreciate him having the ba^$s enough to lay out his plan and would like nothing more to hear about it.

I hope anyone who is trying to "make it" performs well....but is it probable to think that a person who cannot break 90 for 2 years on a regional circuit will be able to "make it"? I do not want to be negative, and wish him well, but realistically....will it happen?

Wolfgame,

Here's the thing, though: Homs posting 90 plus scores time and time again, WD'ing and NC'ing left and right, but the fact remains, he's still out there plugging away, week after laborious week!! He's got to have something up his sleeve! Why else would he continue to enter these tournaments and pay the entry fees? There was a pic posted of him, sporting his J. Linds as always, in the deep DEEP rough in one tournament. I studied that picture for literally minutes. I saw it, it was there, the determination was in this kid's eye. You couple that determination, with a seemingly endless cash flow (none of my business to be sure) and throw in the support of fellow GolfWRX members, and there's something special that's going to happen. It's too late me for me. I'll never have that "IT" factor that the tour director and his sponsors see, but lemme tell you, I'm getting on the Homstylz band wagon right now. I don't want to miss that ride.

J.O.S.E

It takes more than desire and dedication. He may just not have the ability to shoot good (or even decent) scores under tournament pressure. And why are WD's, NC's and missed cuts (by miles here, not even scaring the cutline) proof of Jon having "something up his sleeve"? I can understand your feelings if he shot 1 good round, but there is just no reason to believe this will happen.

I wish Jon the best and hope he can make a cut. But there is a point where Jon has to admit to himself, his family and his sponsors that he is not going to make it on tour. Reality has to set in at some point in time. Of course it is not up to me to determine when to pack it in, it is up to Jon. But at some point in time if things don't improve his sponsors will want a return on their investment, and Jon himself may get a little discouraged with the whole thing.

We have heard from Jon himself and a number of other people on this board about how far Jon hits the ball. Mabye he should focus his energies on the LD tour? It's not as rewarding career-wise as the regular tours, but Jon may see immediate positive results and be able to make a career out of the Long Drive circuit?