2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

rakes in sand trap

The course I play at keeps the rakes in the sand trap because from what I heard people are to lazy to take the rake from the cart to rake the sand. This brings up the question. I hit my ball into a green side bunker, I went around picked up the rake that is located in the bunker, raked my foot step that I made picking up the rake, went over hit my ball, rake my divot and foot steps put the rake back. My playing partner said that I should not rake the area where the rake was until after I hit the ball because I am "testing the playing surface and that is a rules violation" I disagree.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know the official rules but it sounds like you were just doing your part to keep the course in good playing shape without thinking about it. His sounds like a reasonable argument but I'm sure you weren't out there thinking, "hmm is the sand hard, deep, wet?" Seems like an innocent act that could be misconstrued as you trying to get an unfair advantage of the sand. I'd probably of done the same thing!

You rake the bunker before playing a shot. Your ball finishes in the raked area. Did you improve your lie?

When you arrive at the bunker there is a big heap of sand behing your ball. You rake it flat. Did you improve your lie?

In either case did you find out if the sand was wet or dry, that it was 1/2" deep or it was 2" deep? If you could have, then you have tested and gained a [b]possible[/b] advantage.

I did not improve my lie, the rake for the bunker was on the other side of where my ball was, so I walked over had to step in the bunker to get the rake, raked my footstep. Walked around to the other side stepped in the bunker and played my shoot. If it is a violation then even the act of picking up the rake from the bunker would be considered a violation, correct?

Ive always wondered about these rules on testing the surface. When you stand in the bunker, you can get essentially the same feedback about the conditions of the sand...there is no rule about digging your feet in. What if I put my foot behind the ball to see how much sand is there? Is that testing the surface? I know that would not be in the spirit of the game, but technically is it a violation?

Ive always wondered about these rules on testing the surface. When you stand in the bunker, you can get essentially the same feedback about the conditions of the sand...there is no rule about digging your feet in. What if I put my foot behind the ball to see how much sand is there? Is that testing the surface? I know that would not be in the spirit of the game, but technically is it a violation?

13-4/0.5 Meaning of "Test the Condition of the Hazard" in Rule 13-4a5e6357ca-4421-4dab-a626-4a0fc8b9062c.gif

Q. What is meant by "test the condition of the hazard" in Rule 13-4a?

A. The term covers all actions by which the player could gain more information about the hazard than could be gained from taking his stance for the stroke to be made, bearing in mind that a certain amount of digging in with the feet in the sand or soil is permitted when taking the stance for a stroke.

Examples of actions that would not constitute testing the condition of the hazard include the following:

digging in with the feet for a stance, including for a practice swing, anywhere in the hazard or in a similar hazard;

• placing an object, such as clubs or a rake, in the hazard;

• leaning on an object (other than a club) such as a rake while it is touching the ground in the hazard or water in a water hazard;

• touching the hazard with an object (other than a club) such as a towel (touching with a club would be a breach of Rule 13-4b); or

• marking the position of the ball with a tee or otherwise when proceeding under a Rule.

Examples of actions that would constitute testing the condition of the hazard in breach of Rule 13-4a include the following:

digging in with the feet in excess of what would be done for a stance for a stroke or a practice swing;

• filling in footprints from a previous stance (e.g., when changing stance to make a different type of stroke);

• intentionally sticking an object, such as a rake, into sand or soil in the hazard or water in a water hazard (but see Rule 12-1);

smoothing a bunker with a rake, a club or otherwise (but see Exception 2 to Rule 13-4);

[quote name='jwillf350' timestamp='1305310176' post='3231130']
The course I play at keeps the rakes in the sand trap because from what I heard people are to lazy to take the rake from the cart to rake the sand.
[/quote]

Guess I don't get out enough...never heard of rakes on carts until now. Normally laying *next* to the traps.

[quote name='jwillf350' timestamp='1305311848' post='3231181']
If it is a violation then even the act of picking up the rake from the bunker would be considered a violation, correct?
[/quote]

No. A rake is a movable obstruction. Moving an obstruction is not a violation. Using a rake to test the surface before playing IS a violation.

Bunkers are hazards, and they're supposed to be hard on you. So you don't get to rake the sand before you hit -- IMO it's not a "stupid" rule but rather something you have to learn to live with. Other hardships include not being allowed to move loose impediments, ground your club or even touch a loose impediment or the sand on your backswing.

You can complain if you like, but IMO it's more fun to learn and abide by the restrictions, and enjoy the opportunity to escape unscathed.