Ozik line of shafts

puresurfr

review
Im sure there are many of you who have played the Ozik shafts, they make the Code 6, Code7, Code 8, Altus, TP7, TP7X, Infra ....etc

I have tried the ozik TP7 and TP7X and the finish is really different, but it is unfortunate that it rubs off rather quickly.......the shafts performs reasonably well and does reduce sidespin, but i definitely did not see a yard of improvement in distance, if anything, after the honeymoon period, i lost about 10-15 yards....the TP7X was a better fit for me but i did not gain any yardage with this shaft, but it was a good shaft !

The Altus is as advertised, high launch low spin, but there are many shafts to be had in this range without spending the kind of money that Matrix is asking....I played the Code 6 and Code 8 as well and again nothing special....

There are some players who will definitely benefit from playing the Ozik line, but if you are currently not playinng it, believe me you are not missing out at all.....i seriously doubt that Ozik will be a buss word next year, Matrix has priced themselves out of the market ( thats just my opinion, they may be HUGE next year, but ill bet against it !!!!! )

Haha and they have a line of iron shafts coming out soon.....i wonder how much the lime greeen series will cost ?????

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

?? what shaft works well for you? i have hit all except the $1k shaft.. and really do not need to even think about it.. but the ozik line i feel really has merit.. altus,medius,infra,code-6,7,8.. what i get out these shafts-- flat out better accuracy.. but shorter by 10-15yrds is tuff to handle.. so can see why it is not your cup of tea..

The Altus is as advertised, high launch low spin, but there are many shafts to be had in this range without spending the kind of money that Matrix is asking....I played the Code 6 and Code 8 as well and again nothing special....

Puresurfr -- what are the other shafts that play similarly to the Altus that are much cheaper, in your opinion? I'm looking for high launch, low spin like the Altus, but don't want to drop $400 if I can avoid it. I would much appreciate any suggestions you might have. Thanks.

mkb3245

Don't overlook the MFS series from MCC if cost is a significant factor. I haven't hit any of the Ozik or Code series but the MFS shafts are as good or better than any sub $100 shaft I've tried. The 65 and 85 weight versions both get the ball up easy while also minimizing spin compared to other higher trajectory shafts like the Prolaunch or NVS. The 75 and 95 weight versions are just as smooth and stable feeling but they're both lower trajectory shafts. MFS series shafts also come in multiple subflexes straight from the factory so it's easier to dial in your best flex if you work with an experienced MCC fitter.

Rapture V1 10.5 BB
Rapture V1 14
G15 2,4,5,6 HY Recoil 95
G15 7-LW CFS
Karsten TR B60

Don't overlook the MFS series from MCC if cost is a significant factor. I haven't hit any of the Ozik or Code series but the MFS shafts are as good or better than any sub $100 shaft I've tried. The 65 and 85 weight versions both get the ball up easy while also minimizing spin compared to other higher trajectory shafts like the Prolaunch or NVS. The 75 and 95 weight versions are just as smooth and stable feeling but they're both lower trajectory shafts. MFS series shafts also come in multiple subflexes straight from the factory so it's easier to dial in your best flex if you work with an experienced MCC fitter.

are you talking about the ttr mfs series? i'm looking at there site right now and i like what i see.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

are you talking about the ttr mfs series? i'm looking at there site right now and i like what i see.

Yes. I love the MFS65 in my driver, it's the best driver shaft I've played. I have not had an opportunity to give many of the high end shafts a thorough appraisal (Rombax, Speeder, Zcom, Accra SC, Diamana, Ozik, VS Proto, etc.), but I've tried almost all of the less costly Fuji, Grafalloy, Graphite Design, Aldila and UST shafts along with several Accuflex offerings and countless OEM stock shafts. I did have a chance to spend some time with a Speeder 652 S in a 10.5 Launcher Comp and it was very good, but not better than the MFS65 S2 flex for me, they seem to play very similar but I prefer the smooth, dense feel of the MFS (I borrowed this description from Dyno because it's right on the money). The only reason an MFS85 is not in my 3 wood right now is because I found a new uncut Purple Ice 85 on EBAY for about $30 shipped. The TTR gives these shafts a feel completely different than any other shaft I've hit, when I waggle my driver the shaft does not seem to be overly stiff but I've found it remarkable how well it handles even my most ridiculous scramble driver swings. It's super accurate for me in my Comp and I've tried about 5 different shafts in this head. As far as the trajectory I'm getting it's somewhere between what a Grafalloy Blue and a Prolaunch would give me (I like both of those shafts) but with better feel, actually pretty close to the trajectory I got with an NV65 stiff in an MP-001 460 10.5 but my current combo carries close to the same and gives me better roll. Maybe the most noticable effect of the MFS65's higher launch / lower spin properties are the results I'm getting hitting into a stiff wind, even when I swing hard the ball gets up without ballooning and I'll still get respectable roll out. Sorry that was so long winded but I'm a big fan of the MFS shafts.

Rapture V1 10.5 BB
Rapture V1 14
G15 2,4,5,6 HY Recoil 95
G15 7-LW CFS
Karsten TR B60

My Tour r7 425 just arrived yesterday and my buddy surfr is spot on about the finish being fragile. It's sure nice to look at and feels good to the touch but when I took the grip off to put on one more to my liking, the grip tape peeled off a small section of the finish without much effort (luckily it's under the grip and I'll never see it).

Beyond that, I'll give creedence to surfr's review because he does sure try a whole lotta clubs and the fact that he moved all of his Ozik's for an "old school" Fuji SIX does say something . . . (but give it another 3 or 4 days and he'll have something else in the bag)!!!

I'll go hit the thing tonight or tomorrow - probably won't be able to give you guys an accurate review because it's an x-flex (why does it seem like all OZIK's are X or XX flex???), is 1" shorter than my normal driver(s) and has also been tipped 1/2". Still, we'll see how it goes.

it may be true that very little of xflex and xxflex is produced but if you look at the bst ads and tour drivers for sale with ozik shafts, they are nostly xflex and some xx flex....it is much rarer to find a used tour issue driver with a sflex or sx flex.....

** and yes i am very familiar with the entire ozik line and i have played about 30 different setups with the ozik shafts !!

My Tour r7 425 just arrived yesterday and my buddy surfr is spot on about the finish being fragile. It's sure nice to look at and feels good to the touch but when I took the grip off to put on one more to my liking, the grip tape peeled off a small section of the finish without much effort (luckily it's under the grip and I'll never see it).

Beyond that, I'll give creedence to surfr's review because he does sure try a whole lotta clubs and the fact that he moved all of his Ozik's for an "old school" Fuji SIX does say something . . . (but give it another 3 or 4 days and he'll have something else in the bag)!!!

I'll go hit the thing tonight or tomorrow - probably won't be able to give you guys an accurate review because it's an x-flex (why does it seem like all OZIK's are X or XX flex???), is 1" shorter than my normal driver(s) and has also been tipped 1/2". Still, we'll see how it goes.

Well, I just got back from the range with my new tour r7 425 w/ Ozik Altus X-Stiff tipped 1/2" . . . and the results were pretty much as I expected. My current driver is another tour r7 425 w/ a rombax 75s TP and I've played a stiff flex in my driver for most of my golfing life. I knew going in that this Altus would be too much stick for me . . .

Of all the balls I hit, I pushed or sliced every ball I hit except maybe 4 or 5 of them. I just couldn't load the shaft consistently and everything was left out to the right. I even tried various weight combinations but nothing really helped. One thing I found interesting was that, with the same weight combo as my current driver, the ballflight was almost the same (I expected the Altus to launch much higher as most have been saying). I noticed no gains in distance but that probably has much to do with the flex being much stiffer than I'm used to.

On the positive side, the feel on the shaft was just as advertised. Despite the x-flex and the tipping, the shaft feels phenomenally smooth. I was very impressed with the feel . . . enough so that I may continue to look for an Altus in S or SX and see how those would work.

As for now, I'm sticking with my current setup . . .

When I bought my FT-3 from achu28 with Altus S, he had said that the shaft felt a bit loose and misses went right. I wondered about that, as loose would usually translate left, but...same thing for me.

What I've found is that I have to consciously (at least most of the time) square (means strengthen) my grip and turn my right shoulder over, and when I do: PERFECTION. Left doesn't exist, and a little flare right miss is the common miss.

Feel is incomparable, granting it is my first FT-3 head; FT-3 VS Proto on the way and Rapture Proto on order (because I'm a 'ho), but I am 100% satisfied with this combo. No, I haven't gained 15 yards, but I am as long or longer than my G5/V2 combo (which was very long for me) with infinitely better feel.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

When I bought my FT-3 from achu28 with Altus S, he had said that the shaft felt a bit loose and misses went right. I wondered about that, as loose would usually translate left, but...same thing for me.

What I've found is that I have to consciously (at least most of the time) square (means strengthen) my grip and turn my right shoulder over, and when I do: PERFECTION. Left doesn't exist, and a little flare right miss is the common miss.

Feel is incomparable, granting it is my first FT-3 head; FT-3 VS Proto on the way and Rapture Proto on order (because I'm a 'ho), but I am 100% satisfied with this combo. No, I haven't gained 15 yards, but I am as long or longer than my G5/V2 combo (which was very long for me) with infinitely better feel.

Dr - have you swing a VS Proto yet? I'm curious about this shaft and how it plays, especially in regards to the Altus and the AXIVs.

Surfr - thanks for your insights into the Altus.

i think you will notice immediate gains with any shaft that is properly fit for you.....however the ozik line is not phenomenally superior to other shaft companies ....the ozik altus and code series are very nice shafs and when properly fitted will perform great, but if you dont already have one, i dont feel you are necessarily missing out.....i have played many many many shafts......my all time favorites include the fujikura ftb blue proto and the fujikura 771ta ......i have played the diamana series and the blueboards are pretty nice, the same can be said for the UST V2 series and the Graphite Design has a quality shaft in the PT6 ....basically there are a ton of good shaft companies out there and the ozik is not the greatest thing since sliced bread....my opinion is it is a quality company with innovative offerings

*oops forgot to mention that the Rombax is a great shaft !!!

Immediate gains ????? hahahahahahhaha ....if that were true, every golfer on the pro and semi pro tour would be using it as well as collegiate and high school and club golfers......." Dont believe the hype !"

Of the top 6 golfers in the world, i think 4 of them use mitsubishi

Tiger- Mitsubishi

Furyk UST

Phil- Mitsubishi

Vijay- Mitsubishi

Goosen- Mitsubishi or rombax ???

Garcia- Mitsubishi or rombax ????

Scott- UST

Els- Fujikura

El Fuego- Ozik