2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Bethpage Conditions

omega

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='omega' timestamp='1312391706' post='3448115']
Just wondering how the Bethpage courses have been holding up to the heat?

Planning on going out this weekend to play Red.

Thanks
[/quote]

Green course not so good. This is recommended order: Black, Red, Blue, Yellow, Green. I play Bethpage every week so take my word for it.

[quote name='BigBad' timestamp='1312559387' post='3454350']
Anyone want to help me get on the Black course Friday August 19th around 2:30 time? I'm flying in from Ohio at 12:30 @ laguardia. I'm going to try the phone system on the Tuesday that week but I'm not sure I will get on.
[/quote]

If you're planning to play as a single, there should be no need to make a phone reservation [especially playing on a weekday]. I would recommend that you get on line there to purchase a ticket no later than 6AM. You'll get out but there will probably be some waiting time so you'll have to kill some time. There are TV sets above the cashiers that show what's what by the course. BTW, the Red Course is pretty nice also. Recommended list: Black, Red, Blue, Yellow, Green.

[quote name='chas521' timestamp='1312577071' post='3455068']
Anyone want to help me get on the Black course Friday August 19th around 2:30 time? I'm flying in from Ohio at 12:30 @ laguardia. I'm going to try the phone system on the Tuesday that week but I'm not sure I will get on.
[/quote]

If you're planning to play as a single, there should be no need to make a phone reservation [especially playing on a weekday]. I would recommend that you get on line there to purchase a ticket no later than 6AM. You'll get out but there will probably be some waiting time so you'll have to kill some time. There are TV sets above the cashiers that show what's what by the course. BTW, the Red Course is pretty nice also. Recommended list: Black, Red, Blue, Yellow, Green.
[/quote]

I cant be at the course untill around 1:30ish. That is why I will have to use the phone system unless someone can help me out.

[quote name='BigBad' timestamp='1312591857' post='3455668']
[quote name='chas521' timestamp='1312577071' post='3455068']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I cant be at the course untill around 1:30ish. That is why I will have to use the phone system unless someone can help me out.
[/quote]

I still think you should get time on the Black as a single even that late. I've seen openings on the TV screen but I understand your concern. If you can't get the Black, the Red is good. FYI, some years ago the Red was the course used as a qualifier for The Champions Tour that was played on LI.

+1. I recently played the Black this past Thursday with some golf buddies for our annual trip. First time for them and the 3rd time for me. Since I am out of state I wasn't able to secure a tee time so instead we showed up a little before 5:30am and had no problem getting us out at 10am. Regarding the golf course I was disappointed in it's shape. All tee boxes and fairways were in good shape but some of the greens were not in good shape most notibly the 3rd. Other greens not in good shape were the 2nd, 14th and 15th greens. My buddies still had a great time playing the course for the first time so it would probably still be worth it.

[quote name='aue21' timestamp='1312755267' post='3459916']
the black course greens are in BAD shape after the heat and state open and they will be closing the 3rd hole for the season we believe and the 7th hole will be a par3 par4 combo....so don't plan a trip around playing it...the red however is in very good shape as of yesterday...hope that helps
[/quote]

[quote name='sodak77' timestamp='1312757358' post='3460039']
+1. I recently played the Black this past Thursday with some golf buddies for our annual trip. First time for them and the 3rd time for me. Since I am out of state I wasn't able to secure a tee time so instead we showed up a little before 5:30am and had no problem getting us out at 10am. Regarding the golf course I was disappointed in it's shape. All tee boxes and fairways were in good shape but some of the greens were not in good shape most notibly the 3rd. Other greens not in good shape were the 2nd, 14th and 15th greens. My buddies still had a great time playing the course for the first time so it would probably still be worth it.

the black course greens are in BAD shape after the heat and state open and they will be closing the 3rd hole for the season we believe and the 7th hole will be a par3 par4 combo....so don't plan a trip around playing it...the red however is in very good shape as of yesterday...hope that helps
[/quote]
[/quote]

On Geoff Shackleford's site it says the 3rd green will be closed starting Friday. And I'm playing Thursday...

[quote name='LPSISCO' timestamp='1312941235' post='3468474']
[quote name='sodak77' timestamp='1312757358' post='3460039']

[/quote]
[/quote]

On Geoff Shackleford's site it says the 3rd green will be closed starting Friday. And I'm playing Thursday...
[/quote]

The 3rd's green was the worst (took double on that hole, d'oh) so this would not surprise me. The 14th and 15th greens were not much better. By the time you play if they haven't gotten better these greens might be considered automatic 2-putt greens.

[quote name='mrgo26' timestamp='1313298357' post='3483274']
So to confirm, a single trying to play Black or Red shouldn't have a problem getting on? Do I still have to show up super early or can i stroll in at 10am and expect to get on?

Thanks
[/quote]

You're coming a long way. So why play games and take a chance? Get there by 6AM to make absolutely sure. If it's raining and you want to check, call 1-516-249-0701 option 5.

So to confirm, a single trying to play Black or Red shouldn't have a problem getting on? Do I still have to show up super early or can i stroll in at 10am and expect to get on?

Thanks
[/quote]

When I got there on Thursday at 8am there were at least 7 times available for singles in the afternoon.

[quote name='LPSISCO' timestamp='1313346330' post='3484365']

Thanks
[/quote]

When I got there on Thursday at 8am there were at least 7 times available for singles in the afternoon.
[/quote]

Do you mean I should show up by 8 and wait for an afternoon time or go in the afternoon and walk on? Obviously I'll call the day of if I can get through.

[quote name='mrgo26' timestamp='1313375917' post='3486157']
[quote name='LPSISCO' timestamp='1313346330' post='3484365']

Thanks
[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you mean I should show up by 8 and wait for an afternoon time or go in the afternoon and walk on? Obviously I'll call the day of if I can get through.
[/quote]

Sorry, just saw this post. If you go early in the morning you can buy any of the available tee times on the board. You get a receipt and a bracelet that corresponds to the receipt (to keep people from buying the tee times then reselling them). You can leave, then come back later when it's time to play. If you wait until the afternoon to get there, all the tee times may be gone already to guys who employed the above methodology.

As far as the Red - I've played it twice and hated it both times. Not the course, necessarily, but the pace of play is maybe the worst I've ever seen. Just horrible.

[quote name='LPSISCO' timestamp='1313674730' post='3498669']As far as the Red - I've played it twice and hated it both times.  Not the course, necessarily, but the pace of play is maybe the worst I've ever seen.  Just horrible.[/quote]Welcome to the PUBLIC Bethpage!  Look forward to 5+ hours if you play after 11 AM.  It's somewhat shorter before then.

[quote name='chas521' timestamp='1313678246' post='3498815']
[quote name='LPSISCO' timestamp='1313674730' post='3498669']As far as the Red - I've played it twice and hated it both times.  Not the course, necessarily, but the pace of play is maybe the worst I've ever seen.  Just horrible.[/quote]Welcome to the PUBLIC Bethpage!  Look forward to 5+ hours if you play after 11 AM.  It's somewhat shorter before then.
[/quote]

While I've played quite a few private courses, I play the majority of my golf at public courses in Morris County, NJ. The pace of play is generally about 4:20 walking, slightly longer on a slow day. The tee times are at 10 minute intervals, and you actually tee off on time, which actually coincides with the prior group reaching the green. I teed off yesterday at noon, finished at 3:55 in a walking foursome. Crazy, right?

Unlike Bethpage (other than Black), where if your tee time is at noon you'll tee off at 12:30 (maybe), wait on every shot, wait for 3 groups on the first par 3, etc. Bethpage is set up to generate every last dollar, rather than to provide a good experience. I can't call Bethpage poorly run - they ARE getting the maximum number of players onto their courses, so they are maximizing revenue. But it's not for me - I'm not willing to devote 5 1/2 hours, waiting on every shot, to play average golf courses. The Black takes 5 hours minimum because it's a long walk and it's hard, not because you're waiting on every shot. That's fine. But 5 1/2 hours for the Blue or Red or Green - no thank you. I'd rather not play.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='luv2golow' timestamp='1315745075' post='3556615']Any word on the condition of the Black course lately?  Playing the week after next; and was hoping things may have improved from earlier in the year.Any recent news would be much appreciated.[/quote]

I played Bethpage Green today. Actually OK now. Bethpage is [b]currently[/b] in the process of aerating the different courses. The Blue was just done. The Green next week. The schedule is posted but I honestly forget what they said about The Black. Before you think about playing The Black, call 1-516-249-0707 and listen to the message.

[quote name='chas521' timestamp='1315792675' post='3557851']
[quote name='luv2golow' timestamp='1315745075' post='3556615']Any word on the condition of the Black course lately? Playing the week after next; and was hoping things may have improved from earlier in the year.Any recent news would be much appreciated.[/quote]

I played Bethpage Green today. Actually OK now. Bethpage is [b]currently[/b] in the process of aerating the different courses. The Blue was just done. The Green next week. The schedule is posted but I honestly forget what they said about The Black. Before you think about playing The Black, call 1-516-249-0707 and listen to the message.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Spoke to the pro shop today... lucky I did, they are going to be colsing the Black on Monday AND Tuesday next week, so we pushed our trip back a day and will play Wednesday. Black course is being aerated on the 26th.