2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Rotator cuff injury...any one ever have one

Golfchicago

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear that,,,I didn,t have an MRI but about a year ago I was sure I had a similiar injury in my left rotator cuff,,,It ached at times when doing nothing but if I warmed up slowly on the range it was tolerable,,,but at times I couldn't raise my arm above chest high.

I did go to a doctor but missed my scheduled MRI,,,but then???

I found a trainer/massage therapist for the Orlando Predators arena football team and she felt in there and said she thought it was a rotator cuff injury with lots of scar tissue built around it.She was sure she could massage away the scar tissue in 3-4 sessions and it would heal.After the first session it felt about 50-60% better but I still felt pain at times,,after the second session a week later,,POOF,,it was GONE and has not returned.I had this problem for nearly a year and in two weeks/sessions with this therapist it was gone.

But don,t be fooled ,,,her hands were as strong as vice grips and when she massaged in there it was uncomfortable,,,but ,,its gone.

She works out of Orlando and handles many pro athletes,,,if you would like to contact her write me and I will get you in touch.

I just saw a chiropractor last week for my right shoulder. He did a technique called "active release" on my shoulder. You move your arm through certain ranges of motion while he breaks up the scar tissue and any adhesions in the muscles. I had limited pain-free range of motion before my first visit. I could force my shoulder through the full range of motion if I dealt with some pain. After the first visit I could move my shoulder through a full range of motion with very little pain. I've had three visits so far and the shoulder feels great but I am going to continue the visits and do the rehab until it's completely pain free.

I used to work for a chiropractor when I lived in DC. I live in NY now and he recommended I find a chiro who also did active release. I found him by going to Active Release. I highly recommend you find a chiro or physical therapist who uses this technique. I've also brought my wife, who is 8 months pregnant, to see him about her neck pain. The majority of the pain was gone after the first visit.

Titleist TS3 Driver
Callaway Rogue 13.5 degree 3W
Callaway Rogue 19 degree 5W
Callaway Epic Flash 21 degree 7-wood or
Mizuno MP-H5 21 degree 3 iron
Mizuno MP-4 4-PW
Callaway MD3 54 degree
Callaway MD3 58 degree

I just saw a chiropractor last week for my right shoulder. He did a technique called "active release" on my shoulder. You move your arm through certain ranges of motion while he breaks up the scar tissue and any adhesions in the muscles. I had limited pain-free range of motion before my first visit. I could force my shoulder through the full range of motion if I dealt with some pain. After the first visit I could move my shoulder through a full range of motion with very little pain. I've had three visits so far and the shoulder feels great but I am going to continue the visits and do the rehab until it's completely pain free.

I used to work for a chiropractor when I lived in DC. I live in NY now and he recommended I find a chiro who also did active release. I found him by going to Active Release. I highly recommend you find a chiro or physical therapist who uses this technique. I've also brought my wife, who is 8 months pregnant, to see him about her neck pain. The majority of the pain was gone after the first visit.

Since you worked in the industry, hopefully you can help me with some questions.

How does a chiropractor "break up" fibrous (scar) tissue? Where does it go since these are non invasive techniques? What are these muscle adhesions they speak of?

Since you worked in the industry, hopefully you can help me with some questions.

How does a chiropractor "break up" fibrous (scar) tissue? Where does it go since these are non invasive techniques? What are these muscle adhesions they speak of?

I am not a chiropractor so I can't explain EXACTLY how this technique works. Here's what it says on the web site:

What is Active Release Technique (ART)?

ART is a patented, state of the art soft tissue system/movement based massage technique that treats problems with muscles, tendons, ligaments, fascia and nerves. Headaches, back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, shin splints, shoulder pain, sciatica, plantar fasciitis, knee problems, and tennis elbow are just a few of the many conditions that can be resolved quickly and permanently with ART. These conditions all have one important thing in common: they are often a result of overused muscles.

How do overuse conditions occur?

Over-used muscles (and other soft tissues) change in three important ways:

• acute conditions (pulls, tears, collisions, etc),
  • accumulation of small tears (micro-trauma)
  • not getting enough oxygen (hypoxia).

Each of these factors can cause your body to produce tough, dense scar tissue in the affected area. This scar tissue binds up and ties down tissues that need to move freely. As scar tissue builds up, muscles become shorter and weaker, tension on tendons causes tendonitis, and nerves can become trapped. This can cause reduced range of motion, loss of strength, and pain. If a nerve is trapped you may also feel tingling, numbness, and weakness.

What is an ART treatment like?

Every ART session is actually a combination of examination and treatment. The ART provider uses his or her hands to evaluate the texture, tightness and movement of muscles, fascia, tendons, ligaments and nerves. Abnormal tissues are treated by combining precisely directed tension with very specific patient movements.

These treatment protocols - over 500 specific moves - are unique to ART. They allow providers to identify and correct the specific problems that are affecting each individual patient. ART is not a cookie-cutter approach.

Again, I'm not a therapist or a chiro, but this is what I've learned. There are 4 muscles that make up the rotator cuff. A therapist or chiropractor will strength test you and determine which muscles are not firing, or are not as strong as they should be. Acute pain during the test also helps to pinpoint which muscle is injured. For my specific injury, he determined that it was the supraspinatus muscle. So he applied the techniques to my shoulder designed to break up the scar tissue for that particular muscle. He also did the techniques in 3 other areas for the other muscles because he noticed limited range of motion during some of the tests he had me do.

I think it's best to find a provider from the Active Release web site and speak with them about your particular injury.

Titleist TS3 Driver
Mizuno MP-4 4-PW
Callaway MD3 54 degree
Callaway MD3 58 degree

Again, I'm not a therapist or a chiro, but this is what I've learned. There are 4 muscles that make up the rotator cuff. A therapist or chiropractor will strength test you and determine which muscles are not firing, or are not as strong as they should be. Acute pain during the test also helps to pinpoint which muscle is injured. For my specific injury, he determined that it was the supraspinatus muscle. So he applied the techniques to my shoulder designed to break up the scar tissue for that particular muscle. He also did the techniques in 3 other areas for the other muscles because he noticed limited range of motion during some of the tests he had me do.

I think it's best to find a provider from the Active Release web site and speak with them about your particular injury.

Thanks for the info, but I think some things need to be set straight for everyone's edification.

It's impossible to "break up" scar tissue. Scar tissue is a fibrous replacement for damaged tissue rich in collagen. It is not possible to break it up, since it is attached to the surrounding tissues. If it was broken up, it would cause incredible amounts of pain, just ask anyone who has had a loose piece of cartilage floating in a joint capsule.

Secondly, going to see a chiropractor with a serious condition like a rotator cuff injury is a SERIOUS gamble. A tear in any muscle needs to heal (by laying down the fibrous tissue your chiropractor is attempting to "break up"), immobilization in a sling is the best bet to allow this healing to occurr. Some tears are too large to heal adequately to retain full function of the acromial joint, in this case, surgery is needed. Save your money and your shoulder and go see an MD before taking a gamble with a chiropractor.

Thanks for the info, but I think some things need to be set straight for everyone's edification.

It's impossible to "break up" scar tissue. Scar tissue is a fibrous replacement for damaged tissue rich in collagen. It is not possible to break it up, since it is attached to the surrounding tissues. If it was broken up, it would cause incredible amounts of pain, just ask anyone who has had a loose piece of cartilage floating in a joint capsule.

Secondly, going to see a chiropractor with a serious condition like a rotator cuff injury is a SERIOUS gamble. A tear in any muscle needs to heal (by laying down the fibrous tissue your chiropractor is attempting to "break up"), immobilization in a sling is the best bet to allow this healing to occurr. Some tears are too large to heal adequately to retain full function of the acromial joint, in this case, surgery is needed. Save your money and your shoulder and go see an MD before taking a gamble with a chiropractor.

I knew I shouldn't have tried to answer your question. Sometimes it's not worth it trying to share info with others. I told you before that I'm not the professional and that's why you should have reviewed the information on the Active Release web site or maybe tried getting your answers from a certified professional. You could have even Googled the information if you really wanted it.

There are quite a few professional golfers who see chiropractors for their injuries. But to each his own. By the way, the chiropractor that I'm seeing is one of more than 30 chiropractors who volunteer at the Ironman Triathlon in Lake Placid, NY. And this particular chiropractor went to medical school before he went to chiropractic school. While rare, that is the case. There are also a bunch of chiropractors at the other Ironman events. And this is every year.

I also said that you can see a physical therapist so you don't just have to see a chiropractor. If you check out the providers in your area you will find Sports Medicine Clinics as well as chiropractors. I also didn't address whether the technique is appropriate for a "tear" or a strain of the rotator cuff. If you allow a provider to perform the proper strength tests on you, they would be able to determine which of the four muscles that make up the rotator cuff needs to be addressed. You can't simply say I need to rest my shoulder. Of course an MRI will help to pinpoint the injury as well.

Lastly, I have decent insurance so I'm not wasting my money going to see a chiropractor. I paid $90 my first visit, $50 my second and the rest of my visits are all covered 100%. Everyone should do their own due diligence and see what works for them. Don't just listen to a couple of opinionated guys on a golf forum without any medical, health or wellness background and take them at their word for it. Learn it for yourself.

Titleist TS3 Driver
Mizuno MP-4 4-PW
Callaway MD3 54 degree
Callaway MD3 58 degree

Hey Frank,

I had this problem 8 months ago. It was due to hitting the mat at the driving range. It took one month to get on track again... However I kept playing golf (No driving range of course) and I was patching my shoulder with some medical patch they have here and eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of milk (for calcium).

Did not have any more problems since then...

Anyway what worked for me may not work for you, so stick to what the doctor is saying. By the way I was also using one of those portable electric shock machines which really gave me relief when I felt pain!! :D

I knew I shouldn't have tried to answer your question. Sometimes it's not worth it trying to share info with others. I told you before that I'm not the professional and that's why you should have reviewed the information on the Active Release web site or maybe tried getting your answers from a certified professional. You could have even Googled the information if you really wanted it.

There are quite a few professional golfers who see chiropractors for their injuries. But to each his own. By the way, the chiropractor that I'm seeing is one of more than 30 chiropractors who volunteer at the Ironman Triathlon in Lake Placid, NY. And this particular chiropractor went to medical school before he went to chiropractic school. While rare, that is the case. There are also a bunch of chiropractors at the other Ironman events. And this is every year.

I also said that you can see a physical therapist so you don't just have to see a chiropractor. If you check out the providers in your area you will find Sports Medicine Clinics as well as chiropractors. I also didn't address whether the technique is appropriate for a "tear" or a strain of the rotator cuff. If you allow a provider to perform the proper strength tests on you, they would be able to determine which of the four muscles that make up the rotator cuff needs to be addressed. You can't simply say I need to rest my shoulder. Of course an MRI will help to pinpoint the injury as well.

Lastly, I have decent insurance so I'm not wasting my money going to see a chiropractor. I paid $90 my first visit, $50 my second and the rest of my visits are all covered 100%. Everyone should do their own due diligence and see what works for them. Don't just listen to a couple of opinionated guys on a golf forum without any medical, health or wellness background and take them at their word for it. Learn it for yourself.

Well, I'm a wee bit more than an opinionated guy on a forum, (I probably should have mentioned this earlier) I'm a third year MD student, so I'm just barely qualified to know what I'm talking about. :D

I apologize, because I didn't mean for it to sound like I was jumping all over you for your info, I was just curious as to what that exactly meant, and wanted to clear up any possible misinformation.

The whole Chiropractry issue is as loaded as the tour vs. retail, so I don't want to turn this whole thread into one of those posts, so hopefully when I say my peace we can leave it be and agree to disagree.

However, as an aspiring health professional, the point I was trying to make is that I'd STRONGLY encourage anyone with an injury to go see an MD (as golfchicago has) BEFORE doing any sort of chiropractry, or physical therapy (or advice on a golf forum). A good chiropractor will reffer you back to your MD if he feels its necessary (needed surgery, rest, etc), but just like MD's, not all DC's are so ethical or patient minded.

Just my $.02 . . . take it FWIW.

Well, I'm a wee bit more than an opinionated guy on a forum, (I probably should have mentioned this earlier) I'm a third year MD student, so I'm just barely qualified to know what I'm talking about. :D

I apologize, because I didn't mean for it to sound like I was jumping all over you for your info, I was just curious as to what that exactly meant, and wanted to clear up any possible misinformation.

The whole Chiropractry issue is as loaded as the tour vs. retail, so I don't want to turn this whole thread into one of those posts, so hopefully when I say my peace we can leave it be and agree to disagree.

However, as an aspiring health professional, the point I was trying to make is that I'd STRONGLY encourage anyone with an injury to go see an MD (as golfchicago has) BEFORE doing any sort of chiropractry, or physical therapy (or advice on a golf forum). A good chiropractor will reffer you back to your MD if he feels its necessary (needed surgery, rest, etc), but just like MD's, not all DC's are so ethical or patient minded.

Just my $.02 . . . take it FWIW.

OK, I apologize as well.

I recommend if a person has an injury that they consult their primary care physician first. Hopefully that person will have a sports oriented background and will understand their sports injury and will direct them to another health professional IF needed. It IS a loaded issue but I was screwed by a bad diagnosis from a general practitioner MD in college. Due to their misdiagnosis I iced and rested my swollen knee for a couple weeks, went and played ball when the swelling went down as directed and then completely tore my ACL and needed surgery. But that was a general practicioner. This was at Penn State. The football team doctors took one look at my knee, did one test and told me exactly what was wrong. So the moral to my long story is see a professional who understands athletic injuries and explore all of your options.

Good luck to the original poster. I hope you get your shoulder back to full strength soon.

Titleist TS3 Driver
Mizuno MP-4 4-PW
Callaway MD3 54 degree
Callaway MD3 58 degree

Tore my RC in April whilst weight training. Played (and trained) through the pain for 6 weeks or so (playing twice a week at least) as my game was so good (cool) and then went on holiday (vacation). Went to play after 2 weeks off and couldn't complete more than a half back swing, since then had an MRi to confirm the injury, 12-15 physio sessions, nsaids, rehab exercises and 10, yes ten, weeks without playing (in the middle of the summer :beach: ).

Been back to the game for 4 weeks now, can't play more than once a week, game is good but I've lost 7-10 mph, a comfortable 25 yards on the driver, on my ss and 20 plus % on the weights I was lifting (for certain motions).

IMHO Rest and Recuperation at an earlier stage of my injury would have had me back playing sooner and in less pain. I still have to ice the shoulder and take some Advil to complete 18 holes. For once, and despite playing well and my 'cap being on the way down, I'm looking forward to an enforced 3-4 weeks off over the winter shut-down.

Don't push the injury, it'll only be worse in the long run.