Solheim Cup 2011

jkumpire

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='poizster' timestamp='1316710255' post='3582725']
C'mon team Europe. I would say I follow the LPGA more then most but I seriously haven't heard of 4 or 5 players on your team. They just need to do Asia vs. the World.
[/quote]

LOL. Isn't that the truth. It's probably why Lexi's white knights and the LPGA are dying to have her join the LPGA, whether it's in the young girl's best interests or not.

If anything, Team Europe is due for a win, considering the shellacking the Americans have given Europe over the years. The opening ceremony in Ireland looks nice for the most part.

I also agree that they need to figure out a way to get Team Asia involved with the Solheim Cup. It's not right having so many of the world's top women's golfers sitting on the sidelines of such a prestigious event (while Christina Kim and Ryann O'Toole get to participate).

Brittany Lang in the lineup and not Morgan Pressel surprised me among the early USA foursome pairings. Lang is teamed with Juli Inkster in match four. Rosie Jones was asked about the pairings and emphasized she took the course into account. That means length, which favors Lang above Pressel.

Sounds shaky to me. I'd prefer the superior player regardless of layout. Just a day or two ago I heard Pressel emphasize that her favorite format was alternate shot, that it was ultimate golf. Perhaps she sensed she was in jeopardy of being excluded.

When the captains were asked about surprises in the opponents' pairings, Alison Nicholas gave the typical non answer but Rosie was forthright in saying she expected Suzann Pettersen to be among the first groups. Instead, Pettersen is in the fourth match, paired with Sophie Gustafson against Lang/Inkster. On paper, and certainly in the forthcoming betting lines, that matchup tilts more toward Europe than any other. I think Rosie believed she could settle Lang/Inkster against a less experienced and formidable European pairing, while the big guns battled it out in the early matchups. Pettersen and Gustafson haven't been effective together in Solheim Cups (0-2-3) but I don't put great stock in relatively short sample sizes like that.

Caroline Hedwall sitting out for Europe stunned me. I thought she'd play every session. Nobody on the American team would be much of a favorite over her, if at all.

Rosie indicated she wants to play everyone on opening day but it depends on the outcomes of the early matches. To see Ryann and Vicki out there I've got to root for a USA edge out of the gate.

[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1316719433' post='3583131']
Brittany Lang in the lineup and not Morgan Pressel surprised me among the early USA foursome pairings. Lang is teamed with Juli Inkster in match four. Rosie Jones was asked about the pairings and emphasized she took the course into account. That means length, which favors Lang above Pressel.

Sounds shaky to me. I'd prefer the superior player regardless of layout. Just a day or two ago I heard Pressel emphasize that her favorite format was alternate shot, that it was ultimate golf. Perhaps she sensed she was in jeopardy of being excluded.

When the captains were asked about surprises in the opponents' pairings, Alison Nicholas gave the typical non answer but Rosie was forthright in saying she expected Suzann Pettersen to be among the first groups. Instead, Pettersen is in the fourth match, paired with Sophie Gustafson against Lang/Inkster. On paper, and certainly in the forthcoming betting lines, that matchup tilts more toward Europe than any other. I think Rosie believed she could settle Lang/Inkster against a less experienced and formidable European pairing, while the big guns battled it out in the early matchups. Pettersen and Gustafson haven't been effective together in Solheim Cups (0-2-3) but I don't put great stock in relatively short sample sizes like that.

Caroline Hedwall sitting out for Europe stunned me. I thought she'd play every session. Nobody on the American team would be much of a favorite over her, if at all.

Rosie indicated she wants to play everyone on opening day but it depends on the outcomes of the early matches. To see Ryann and Vicki out there I've got to root for a USA edge out of the gate.
[/quote]

I agree with your analysis except for being surprised that Lang was picked over Pressel. Lang's length will be a great combo with Inkster's experience. Pressel's improved her distance over the past couple of years, but not enough to pick over Lang.

I'm interested to see Ryann compete as well, if only to see if she can rise to the occasion and meet expectations.

Lang with Inkster bothers me because neither one is a particularly dependable putter. Their stats aren't bad this season. But Lang has always been known for strength everywhere except on the greens, and Inkster looked awful on several short putts late in the last Solheim Cup. Yips. That's the only way it could be described.

I don't mind Lang as much as Lang with Inkster. Maybe Lang with Pressel would have been fine. I'd certainly rather have Pressel asked to make key putts than either Lang or Inkster.

Rosie probably wants to use Inkster as a captain's assistant in the afternoon four ball, so she's sending her out in foursomes.

Betting wise, Creamer/Lincicome is the heaviest favorite among the four matchups, slightly above the level of Pettersen/Gustafson. Kerr/Wie are a very slight chalk in the first pairing, and Lewis/Stanford a small favorite in group two.

This Solheim Cup won't interest me nearly as much unless Ryann is out there several times. What good is a wild pick if you don't test it under fire?

I'm fine with swapping Pressel for Inkster, just not Pressel for Lang (as you'd then have a short hitter paired with a putter with the yips).

I want to see Ryann play purely for the entertainment value. I have the feeling that she'll either win big or lose big. I think Rosie will have to play Ryann before everything is said and done, if anything to validate her decision to pick Ryann over others more consistent (like Fultcher). It's a shame they don't mike up the players like they do in some LPGA tournaments. I'd love to hear Ryann discuss vacation plans with the European team during their match LOL.

US and Europe are tied 2-2 after opening matches. Great crowds there in Ireland, considering this is still women's golf.

Inkster/Lang fell to their European opponents. Inkster should have stayed a non-playing Assistant Captain.

Even more noteworthy, the chatterboxes known as Ryann O'Toole and Christina Kim are paired together for the afternoon 4-ball matches LOL. US Captain Rosie Jones said that she's hoping that pair can come away with half a point (tie their opponents). That's showing confidence in your own Captain's pick, Rosie LOL.

Check out why the Americans may've been lucky to escape this morning's foursomes matches tied with the European squad at 2.

Ron Sirak's report from Ireland: [url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-digest-woman/blogs/golf-digest-woman/2011/09/teams-tied-up-after-first-sess.html"]Teams tied up after first session at Solheim Cup[/url]

---

[quote name='godfatherofsoul0' timestamp='1316788192' post='3584987']
I agree on Mel Reid.

Is anyone else disturbed by Christina Kim constantly slapping Ryann's a**? It's like she's pratically grab assing around the course...
[/quote]

absolutely, kim must be the most annoying person in the history of team golf. how she even qualified is a mystery, her recent record is miserable.

Melissa Reid has a really solid swing, I like it a lot and I think she is quite nice too. Gal isnt super attractive but has amazing legs.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

[quote name='tjumper78' timestamp='1316792192' post='3585208']
our ladies are getting schooled right now. =(

oh, and yes, i agree with oldtopmorris that christina kim is freaking annoying.
if she made the team, she must have scored enough points.
is our country's talent level that shallow?
[/quote]

when i saw she got the last automatic spot i was stunned when i looked at her 2011 record, its not pretty.

http://lpga.com/Greensheet.aspx?pid=484&year=2011

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

[quote name='OldTomMorris' timestamp='1316790850' post='3585127']
I agree on Mel Reid.

Is anyone else disturbed by Christina Kim constantly slapping Ryann's a**? It's like she's pratically grab assing around the course...
[/quote]

absolutely, kim must be the most annoying person in the history of team golf. how she even qualified is a mystery, her recent record is miserable.

Melissa Reid has a really solid swing, I like it a lot and I think she is quite nice too. Gal isnt super attractive but has amazing legs.
[/quote]

Agreed on all points. To be honest, I can't blame Kim for slapping Ryann's a**. Were I in her place, I'd be slapping it too LOL.

[quote name='philsRHman' timestamp='1316787415' post='3584938']
I've got to admit, I'm absolutely captivated by Melissa Reid. She doesn't have the supermodel good looks of a Gal or some others, but lots of charisma. Get her on the LPGA Tour already!
[/quote]

[quote name='abc' timestamp='1316792937' post='3585252']
[quote name='OldTomMorris' timestamp='1316790850' post='3585127']
I agree on Mel Reid.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed on all points. To be honest, I can't blame Kim for slapping Ryann's a**. Were I in her place, I'd be slapping it too LOL.
[/quote]

Agreed, agreed, agreed, agreed, agreed, agreed, and agreed.

I think that's all of them.

But especially agreed on Melissa Reid. That is a finishing pose that could draw some LPGA sponsors! Just too bad this tournament is being played in cold weather...

Nike VR Limited 9.5 (A'hina S)
TEE CB4 Tour 15 (Whiteboard S)
Titleist 910H 17 (A'hina S)
Adams CMB 4-GW (C-Taper S)
Adams Puglielli Black 52(51), 54(55) & 60(59)
Odyssey Black Series #5

[quote name='kchuckb' timestamp='1316798378' post='3585488']
Face paint. Yes or No?
[/quote]

they're grown women so no.

by the way has c kerr ever smiled or looked happy. she's constantly sucking lemons

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

[quote name='TCreighton1973' timestamp='1316800048' post='3585552']
A resounding NO on the face paint. I almost guarantee that's a Christina Kim thing. I hate to be negative towards a person, but [b]she is the human equivalent to nails on a blackboard.[/b]
[/quote]

haha great analogy

m wie swing looks great but boy has she hit some seriously loose shots all day.

TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

Here are my thoughts on the afternoon 4-ball matches for the Americans:

The US was LUCKY to get those 1.5 pts. By all accounts, the Europeans should have swept the Americans.

Ryann, the rookie, played like a veteran. She justified Rosie Jones' picking her with her Captain's pick.

Wie and Kerr, the veterans, played like rookies. Granted, they were able to come back from being 3 down at the turn, but with their combined firepower and experience, they should have won their match handily. I'll cut Kerr a little slack since with her injured wrist, but not too much since Melissa Reid's wrist was also injured.

Wie had a great drive on 18, but completely blew her approach shot from the fairway. Embarrassing.

Pressel was lucky as anything on the 18th hole, where she had the longest drive of her group (which had Laura Davies in it) AND she sank the winning putt (a mid to long distance putt).

Linncicome and Hurst got blown away in an embarrassing performance (give credit to the European team though). I expect both to have their playing time reduced in future matches.

Christina Kim is still Christina Kim.

Back to Ryann, I was impressed with her composure as a rookie. She played very well, considering her abysmal performance leading up to the Solheim Cup, and made putts when it mattered. I expect Ryann to have more playing time as a result of her solid performance today.

All in all, it was exciting to watch. But the US has its work cut out for them.

[quote name='OldTomMorris' timestamp='1316801106' post='3585599']
[quote name='TCreighton1973' timestamp='1316800048' post='3585552']
A resounding NO on the face paint. I almost guarantee that's a Christina Kim thing. I hate to be negative towards a person, but [b]she is the human equivalent to nails on a blackboard.[/b]
[/quote]

haha great analogy

m wie swing looks great but boy has she hit some seriously loose shots all day.
[/quote]

I think the face paint just looks a little silly.

Ping G400 Max 9.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G400 22 degree
Ping G25 5-UW
Ping Glide ES 54, 56

Ping Sigma G Tyne

[quote name='abc' timestamp='1316710863' post='3582749']
[quote name='poizster' timestamp='1316710255' post='3582725']
C'mon team Europe. I would say I follow the LPGA more then most but I seriously haven't heard of 4 or 5 players on your team. They just need to do Asia vs. the World.
[/quote]

LOL. Isn't that the truth. It's probably why Lexi's white knights and the LPGA are dying to have her join the LPGA, whether it's in the young girl's best interests or not.

If anything, Team Europe is due for a win, considering the shellacking the Americans have given Europe over the years. The opening ceremony in Ireland looks nice for the most part.

I also agree that they need to figure out a way to get Team Asia involved with the Solheim Cup. It's not right having so many of the world's top women's golfers sitting on the sidelines of such a prestigious event (while Christina Kim and Ryann O'Toole get to participate).
[/quote]

You guys can't be serious. The LPGA is dying in America because the general public doesn't relate well to the Asian girls, and you want them in the one event where they can be justifiably left out? Not happening. Look at the buzz this event creates. A 3 page thread on a tournament in the ladies forum after only one day of tournament play? Unheard of, and my guess is the tv ratings are way better than your average LPGA tourney lately. The truth is watching women's sports isn't watching sports on it's highest level, so you need other motives for tuning in. For American men, it's generally a little eye candy. Paula creamer over yani for instance. For American women it's someone they can relate to on several levels. Juli inkster over ik Kim. The powers that be know they have a tournament here that will have players the Americans want at the top, and I don't think they'll mess with that