Solheim Cup 2011

jkumpire

[quote name='abc' timestamp='1316900398' post='3588220']

Ryann O'Toole v. Caroline Hedwall (match 10): This will be the BEST matchup to watch. Both are Cup rookies. Both are playing extremely well and out of their minds. Both are helping carry their teams on their young backs. Both want to win. I honestly don't know who will win, but I'll say Ryann in a hotly contested match that will go to the wire.

[/quote]

Agree with all your analysis. Quoted the above because, as much as it is the match I want the most to see, it's also the one that is likely to get the least coverage :/ O'Toole really is playing out of her mind good.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='sooperstring' timestamp='1316904689' post='3588325']

Agree with all your analysis. Quoted the above because, as much as it is the match I want the most to see, it's also the one that is likely to get the least coverage :/ O'Toole really is playing out of her mind good.
[/quote]

Since they're playing match 10 and starting at 10.40 am local time, it'll be played while the Golf Channel is broadcasting live on TV. As this is really the most competitive match up among them all, I think they'll broadcast this match the most. The blowouts (i.e. Pettersen v. Wie, Nordqvst v. Pressel, Davies v. Inkster, etc.) probably won't get much TV time, which should free up TV coverage and allow us to watch a classic matchup between a great pair of Cup rookies (O'Toole v. Hedwall).

Hopefully LOL.

Congratulations to the USA team for getting back in the matches this afternoon. I had to quit watching soon after morning matches and we were way down and losing all the afternoon matches. It takes a lot of determination to reverse what was looking like a solid beating, particularly in an away game with the crowd against you. I am sincerely impressed but a gutsy performance. I didn't think the team had it in them.

So what will the outcome be tomorrow? Here's my take....

1. Matthew vs Creamer....Who do you want to see first thing in the morning? Your high school math teacher or that perky cheerleader you never had the nerve to ask out. Creamer puts the US 1up.

2. Sophie Gustafson vs Stacey Lewis....There's not much interest in this match, but Lewis takes it. Better hair. US 2up.

3. Anna Nordquist vs Morgan Pressel. ...The battle of the blondes. One's too tall and one's too short. Both have the freshman 15. I'm going with Nordquist because Pressel cries too much. US 1up.

4. Laura Davies vs Julie Inkster....Julie has frog lips, a bad hair cut, bony knees, and an overall boyish look. Laura has pretty hair, peaches and cream complexion, an endearing accent and a wonderful perspective on life, but bless her heart she's golf's Refrigerator Perry. US back to 2 up.

5.. Melissa Reid vs Vicky Hurst....Vick is cute in a "girl you'd marry" kind of way. Mel is a bit of a "butter face" but nobody wears shorts any lower. Damn that cold weather! Reid gets the nod. US is 1up.

6. Christel Boeljon vs Brittany Lincicome...A little chubby chasing here. Take your pick, but have dinner somewhere you won't see your friends. US maintains 1up lead.

7. Sandra Gal vs Brittany Lang....Bring a ladder. I'm going with Gal. I've never been to a country with so many smokin hot women and so many ugly men. Matches are all square.

8. Maria Hjorth vs Christina Kim....AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!! My eyes!! My eyes!!! Matches are still all square.

9. Suzann Pettersen vs Michelle Wie...A feature match! The Nordic coolness of Pettersen vs the Eastern allure of Wie. In the wrong light, however, Pettersen can look a little mannish....muscles and facial hair. Ugh. Wie in a squeaker. US 1 up.

10. Carolyn Hedwall vs Ryann O'Toole.....No contest. Beautiful blonde hair, tight bod. O'Toole puts the US 2 up.

11. Azahara Munoz vs Angela Stanford....Munoz wins 10 and 8. US 1up.

12. Karen Stupples vs. Christie Kerr....What a Hobson's choice. Imagine looking at one all night vs listening to the other gripe and complain all night. Let's call it a draw.

US takes the Cup 1up.

[quote name='dukeman' timestamp='1316908321' post='3588410']
Congratulations to the USA team for getting back in the matches this afternoon. I had to quit watching soon after morning matches and we were way down and losing all the afternoon matches. It takes a lot of determination to reverse what was looking like a solid beating, particularly in an away game with the crowd against you. I am sincerely impressed but a gutsy performance. I didn't think the team had it in them.

So what will the outcome be tomorrow? Here's my take....

1. Matthew vs Creamer....Who do you want to see first thing in the morning? Your high school math teacher or that perky cheerleader you never had the nerve to ask out. Creamer puts the US 1up.

2. Sophie Gustafson vs Stacey Lewis....There's not much interest in this match, but Lewis takes it. Better hair. US 2up.

3. Anna Nordquist vs Morgan Pressel. ...The battle of the blondes. One's too tall and one's too short. Both have the freshman 15. I'm going with Nordquist because Pressel cries too much. US 1up.

4. Laura Davies vs Julie Inkster....Julie has frog lips, a bad hair cut, bony knees, and an overall boyish look. Laura has pretty hair, peaches and cream complexion, an endearing accent and a wonderful perspective on life, but bless her heart she's golf's Refrigerator Perry. US back to 2 up.

5.. Melissa Reid vs Vicky Hurst....Vick is cute in a "girl you'd marry" kind of way. Mel is a bit of a "butter face" but nobody wears shorts any lower. Damn that cold weather! Reid gets the nod. US is 1up.

6. Christel Boeljon vs Brittany Lincicome...A little chubby chasing here. Take your pick, but have dinner somewhere you won't see your friends. US maintains 1up lead.

7. Sandra Gal vs Brittany Lang....Bring a ladder. I'm going with Gal. I've never been to a country with so many smokin hot women and so many ugly men. Matches are all square.

8. Maria Hjorth vs Christina Kim....AAAAAGGGGHHHHH!!! My eyes!! My eyes!!! Matches are still all square.

9. Suzann Pettersen vs Michelle Wie...A feature match! The Nordic coolness of Pettersen vs the Eastern allure of Wie. In the wrong light, however, Pettersen can look a little mannish....muscles and facial hair. Ugh. Wie in a squeaker. US 1 up.

10. Carolyn Hedwall vs Ryann O'Toole.....No contest. Beautiful blonde hair, tight bod. O'Toole puts the US 2 up.

11. Azahara Munoz vs Angela Stanford....Munoz wins 10 and 8. US 1up.

12. Karen Stupples vs. Christie Kerr....What a Hobson's choice. Imagine looking at one all night vs listening to the other gripe and complain all night. Let's call it a draw.

US takes the Cup 1up.

[/quote]

LOL. Going by your superficial criteria, the US should have brought Natalie Gulbis, Lexi Thompson, Taylor Leon, and Erica Blasberg (if she were still with us today) instead. Then the US would've won in a landslide.

[quote name='abc' timestamp='1316908866' post='3588428']

LOL. Going by your superficial criteria, the US should have brought Natalie Gulbis, Lexi Thompson, Taylor Leon, and Erica Blasberg (if she were still with us today) instead. Then the US would've won in a landslide.
[/quote]

ABC....first thing you've said in two days that's made any sense, but two corrections. 1. Superficial? Come on, man, I put a lot of thought into that. 2. Lexi Thompson? She's 16. I usually like to wait until girls are 18 before I objectify and degrade them! 3. (ok, 3 corrections) Erica Blasberg? That's just sick.

Terrific job by the USA to square things, and by O'Toole in particular. But I think she's really up against it tomorrow, drawing the worst possible opponent in Caroline Hedwall. In fact, I'm somewhat stunned at the low betting line on that match, with Hedwall a tiny -115 chalk. Hedwall was more than 60 spots higher than O'Toole in the most recent Rolex rankings, and has always been considered the superior player, yet it's basically pick-em at "home"? That's my type of value focus, and my play tomorrow. I was planning to bet on Hedwall versus any opponent but I think it's a particularly ideal fit against O'Toole, and could be quite lopsided, with O'Toole's level of play falling off considerably when she's exposed in singles as opposed to boosting a teammate. She missed many short putts the past two days before dropping all the crucial bombs late in the matches with Pressel and Lewis.

Yesterday morning I bet against the two returning loser USA foursome pairings of Lang/Inkster and Lewis/Stanford, after mentioning in this thread that I didn't understand how Rosie Jones could send them out again. Both of those wagers were in the pick-em range also.

The USA really needs some of the younger star players to step up in future Solheim Cup years, so a cardboard type like Brittany Lang doesn't make the team. She is a ridiculous liability in team play, no spark whatsoever. It could not have been more glaring yesterday and today that Pressel is the superior Solheim fit, despite the length gap. Notice Pressel's words to O'Toole, when they were paired together: "I told her we're not losing this match." Can you imagine what Lang's version would have been? "Hi Ryann. Good luck today." Seriously, what is the upside with Brittany Lang out there, an occasional lip out? You need fiery players, not someone who rationalizes she's doing well when every match is lopsided in the opposite direction. Made no sense to pair poor putter Wie with a lifeless poor putter frump like Brittany Lang, when Wie is good friends with Christina Kim and they have great energy together. I'm not saying it would have made a difference -- considering how the opponents played -- but Wie with Lang was a glorified forfeit. Lang might bore someone to death and prevail in singles. In teams I wouldn't want to make her a staple.

BTW, USA is roughly a -175 chalk overall. Interesting (but predictable) strategy for Rosie to front load her singles lineup.

All tied at 8 - 8. Couldn't ask for more going into the final round. Should be great to watch. We're seeing some great golf under incredible pressure. They should all be very proud of them selves. Given the US dominance in singles matches, they could be very tough to beat. Any thing can happen though, on any given Sunday.

Alison Nicholas and team Europe have nothing to apologize for but that agreement that if a player can't play the opponent gets the full point has got to go. The Ryder Cup splits the point right? Didn't Steve Pate in '91 and someone else (maybe in '95) have to pull out of singles and they split the point?

[quote name='faux_maestro' timestamp='1316949105' post='3589068']
Alison Nicholas and team Europe have nothing to apologize for but that agreement that if a player can't play the opponent gets the full point has got to go. The Ryder Cup splits the point right? Didn't Steve Pate in '91 and someone else (maybe in '95) have to pull out of singles and they split the point?
[/quote]

You can't split the point. You could have your weakest player WD against a tough opponent.

And, btw, THERE'S NO CRYING IN GOLF!!!

[/quote]

Correct - Steve Pate, 1991. And yes, the match was halved (with David Gilford). Assumingly that was the agreement. No way Alison Nicholas would give up that point, though - it's just not her personality.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1316950807' post='3589079']
[/quote]

You can't split the point. You could have your weakest player WD against a tough opponent.

And, btw, THERE'S NO CRYING IN GOLF!!!
[/quote]

But what was the situation with Steve Pate in the '91 Ryder Cup? That point was split? I understand the deal with a weak player vs. strong player thing but I doubt that would be an issue with the world's best in an exhibition like this.

[quote name='abc' timestamp='1316857221' post='3587275']
Lewis & Stanford were just beaten by their European opponents 6 & 5. The US Captain, Rosie Jones, was just interviewed and said that Lewis & Stanford asked to be allowed to come out again this morning together to redeem themselves. I can't believe Rosie actually agreed to it considering how that pair played together yesterday. Unbelievable.

Maybe that's why Lang & Inkster were allowed to pair up again Saturday morning. Does Rosie want to win or is it now all about personal redemption for the US team?

Fortunately, Ryann and Pressel are 1 up in their match through 12 holes.
[/quote]

So, did anyone catch what was going on day two fourballs with Angela Stanford on the par5 where Stacy dumped it in the water? Angela dropped, and was preparing to play and the official came over and said something, which I don't think was on air.. anyway what we heard was Angela saying something like "Where are you getting your information from?" in a perturbed manner...but that's all we got on air. Anyway no more mention of it was made by the announcers...anyone have any idea what the deal was?

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1316951104' post='3589083']
[/quote]

Correct - Steve Pate, 1991. And yes, the match was halved (with David Gilford). Assumingly that was the agreement. No way Alison Nicholas would give up that point, though - it's just not her personality.
[/quote]

That's what I thought. Obviously a different situation here with the agreement in place but that was my point.

And another thing, if that happened to me I would probably cry too. What a shame to have that happen at such a bad time.

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1316951326' post='3589090']
Lewis & Stanford were just beaten by their European opponents 6 & 5. The US Captain, Rosie Jones, was just interviewed and said that Lewis & Stanford asked to be allowed to come out again this morning together to redeem themselves. I can't believe Rosie actually agreed to it considering how that pair played together yesterday. Unbelievable.

Maybe that's why Lang & Inkster were allowed to pair up again Saturday morning. Does Rosie want to win or is it now all about personal redemption for the US team?

[/quote]

So, did anyone catch what was going on day two fourballs with Angela Stanford on the par5 where Stacy dumped it in the water? Angela dropped, and was preparing to play and the official came over and said something, which I don't think was on air.. anyway what we heard was Angela saying something like "Where are you getting your information from?" in a perturbed manner...but that's all we got on air. Anyway no more mention of it was made by the announcers...anyone have any idea what the deal was?
[/quote]

I don't have any info but I caught that too. I'd like to know what it was. Maybe had something to do with the drop and where it last crossed?

[quote name='faux_maestro' timestamp='1316951568' post='3589093']
[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1316951326' post='3589090']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't have any info but I caught that too. I'd like to know what it was. Maybe had something to do with the drop and where it last crossed?
[/quote]

Possible... surprised TGC didnt't follow up on it...

Anyway, Rosie's CK interview was just all over the place... I feel bad for her I think she realizes she's made a few questionable decisions and it's starting to go the wrong way. Still plenty of golf left though.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

so what happened to kerr....she just lost 10 & 8 and it's now 9-8 against the USA..

she was supposed to be in the last match but they just showed the results and she lost all the 10 holes...did she even play??

PS..oh ok...i just saw she withdrew due to wrist injury....too bad!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

[quote name='tofur99' timestamp='1316951577' post='3589094']
check out when Kerr is standing by the rolex sign carrying on, a big snot ball starts slowly coming out of her nose for like 5 seconds before she snorts it back up. Even though I feel bad for her i lol'ed pretty hard.
[/quote]

Funnier still was the cameraman in the background...you know some producer was screaming in his ear..."get on the camera you dolt!"

Feel bad for CK... I know she takes a lot of heat, but I've always been a fan. Hate for something like this to happen to anyone...

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

[quote name='jmvargas' timestamp='1316952008' post='3589098']
so what happened to kerr....she just lost 10 & 8 and it's now 9-8 against the USA..

she was supposed to be in the last match but they just showed the results and she lost all the 10 holes...did she even play??
[/quote]

Kerr couldn't play and had to concede due to her wrist injury.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

[quote name='78Staff' timestamp='1316951808' post='3589097']

Possible... surprised TGC didnt't follow up on it...

Anyway, Rosie's CK interview was just all over the place... I feel bad for her I think she realizes she's made a few questionable decisions and it's starting to go the wrong way. Still plenty of golf left though.
[/quote]

In said interview, Rosie mentioned she could have pulled CK entirely prior to the opening ceremonies and put in an alternate. I sure such person is identified ahead of time, as they probably have a ton of logistics to be aware of ie travel, equipment, uniforms, etc) but I wonder how they do it. Would it be #11 on the list, or next eligible player whatever than # might be (say if #11/#12 was already on the team via a pick), or another captains pick altogether?

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

I'm all RED WHITE AND BLUE!!! But, C/mom Kerr....

"My watch was too tight"... Boooo Wooooo WOooo....

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

I know, but it's about the TEAM, not her. Dottie is right, let's keep the focus on the team, not one individual.

[quote name='Sloth1098' timestamp='1316954031' post='3589129']
Ahhh, just as clasy as Dottie Pepper -- lighting into Kerr for her inability to go. We've all watched her for years, and there is just no doubt THAT chick plays if she can-- if it's even remotely possible. She, of anyone on the team, gets the benefit of the doubt.
[/quote]

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

I am laying on the floor watching TV cause I wore my boxers too tight to bed. tendonitis of the waist. Tragic. But, I'm gonna battle through and watch football while sitting upright :). I've never missed a Vikings game in 9 years... I'm a warrior

[quote name='Sloth1098' timestamp='1316955122' post='3589150']
Yeah, I agree, team competition, and I'd love to have seen her at least tee it up, ' cause she's a pro. Giving her the benefit because a) she's always been a gamer and b) I am watching TV this morningbecause the tendonitis in my left elbow is so bad today I can't grip a club or make a swing.
[/quote]

Mizuno Fli-Hi #4

Damn you, Mel Reid. I want to be red white and blue all the way, but I'm too weak not to root for you/google image stalk you.

Siren!

Nike VR Limited 9.5 (A'hina S)
TEE CB4 Tour 15 (Whiteboard S)
Titleist 910H 17 (A'hina S)
Adams CMB 4-GW (C-Taper S)
Adams Puglielli Black 52(51), 54(55) & 60(59)
Odyssey Black Series #5