question about getting fitted for a shaft

ben6485

bad swing the day of
What if I go in there and am just not having a great day of swinging that day. I don't swing as well indoors as I do outside due to being used to just swinging outside.

If I do have a bad swing that day then is it gonna make my driver fitting that day a wash and I'll have to go back another day or is only having a few good swings that day enough to figure out what I need...I can usually tell right away if it's not my normal swing

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ben6485' timestamp='1314285111' post='3518334']
What if I go in there and am just not having a great day of swinging that day. I don't swing as well indoors as I do outside due to being used to just swinging outside.

If I do have a bad swing that day then is it gonna make my driver fitting that day a wash and I'll have to go back another day or is only having a few good swings that day enough to figure out what I need...I can usually tell right away if it's not my normal swing
[/quote]

Your fitter should have the ability to determine if your swing is repeating or not; and if not, he should have the integrity to tell you about the inconsistency. If it's too bad - he should tell you that you can't be fit that day.

By the same token - if you can tell that you are swinging badly, but don't have an idea of how to fix it - then you're simply taking a gamble. That's not his fault. I assume you mean that if you sense that you're having a bad swing that day, you'll leave??? If so - then you've only wasted some time but not money.

If you're swinging poorly tell your fitter.

Tell your fitter right away if you're swinging poorly on that day. He may tell you to come back another day after you've corrected whatever swing flaws torment you. It would be detrimental to get fitted on a day when your swing isn't at least decent.

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

[quote name='ben6485' timestamp='1314285977' post='3518367']
Ok, thanks....getting fitted here in about 20 minutes...will def tell of I'm not swinging good
[/quote]

If he offers you a deal (like rolling in the fitting fee as part of the deal to buy a club) - I'd leave. If he's simply charging you for the fitting - then I'd have more confidence that he's really trying to fit you with what is best for you, not what is convenient for him.

Good luck.

He said that if its just a shaft fitting he'd charge me just for that....if I get a shaft from him he'd throw in the shaft fitting for free

He had a shitload of different programs and gadgets...seemed legit..haha

Said he was gonna put all the info into a program that was designed by I forgot who...and it would come up with some shafts to choose from

My ss is around 97-100 and I need a shorter shaft...in an xtra stiff

these are my stats from what i remember

97-100 SS
wrist to ground is 33"
I have a fast tempo swing
I'm 5'6
I'm a hitter, not a swinger
He said I have a lot of upper body strength
He said I have a lot of side spin
I'm using right now a 45.75" length shaft and that it's way too long

He said he's going to the info through a program that Tom Wishon designed
Probably going to need an xtra stiff flex shaft that's 44 inches or shorter, 60-70 g shaft
I thought that xtra Stiff flex's were for really high ss

That seems like a pretty stout shaft for your swing.

I was fitted about a month ago. I averaged 110 MPH SS and was barely in range for an X.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='ben6485' timestamp='1314298582' post='3518699']
[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1314298370' post='3518688']
That seems like a pretty stout shaft for your swing.

I was fitted about a month ago. I averaged 110 MPH SS and was barely in range for an X.
[/quote]
kinda what i thought...I may get fitted somewhere else just to get a second opinion
[/quote]

Good idea. Get a second opinion. At 100 mph I don't think you should be using X flex. Stiff tipped a little would probably work a lot better for you.

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Prob gonna get my home courses golf pro to do it this afternoon....if I end up not getting the shaft from the golf shop I just did the fitting at then ill just pay the fee....only problem is, is that my course doesn't have a launch monitor or anything..should I just go to golf galaxy and pay the 16 bucks to get it done there

Without a launch monitor, it's pretty much pointless to get fitted without some numbers at least. Swing speed, ball speed, and spin are all very important factors when considering what shaft to get.

[quote name='phizzy30' timestamp='1314300924' post='3518814']
Without a launch monitor, it's pretty much pointless to get fitted without some numbers at least. Swing speed, ball speed, and spin are all very important factors when considering what shaft to get.
[/quote]
Ok...guess ill go into golf galaxy and get it done there as well..hopefully the fitter doesn't call at least till I get fitted again.

Who knows...he may call and say something like I need a 60g s shaft or something.

Just hard to trust someone that you don't know and has no reviews online.

[quote name='ben6485' timestamp='1314295371' post='3518643']

97-100 SS
wrist to ground is 33"
I'm 5'6

Probably going to need an xtra stiff flex shaft that's 44 inches or shorter, 60-70 g shaft
[/quote]

Did he use any of his monitors or cameras when you were hitting? Or just take some basic measurements (the old fashioned...and still pretty good...way of doing things? Sounds like a stout staff - without watching you swing - my guess is you are fairly steep angle of attack and you try to kill it? :) Tom Wishon is a good resource and makes very good clubs - certainly aren't giving up anything by going with his components. Although it sounds funny to have a blanket statement of requiring an Xtra Stiff - I wouldn't worry about it unless you're hitting it like crap. There are no industry standards among shafts....as long as it flies correctly - nobody but you will know what it says. :-)

I see you're going to go to GG too - that could work too. I'd simply suggest trying a couple of glued-up drivers and see which one you hit best. Less customization but you have additional info. I still trust the artisan as much as the information. You may have to split the difference with the information. If the fitter has been doing his craft for a long time, I'd take his opinion without a monitor over the opinion of a salesperson reading results from a launch monitor.

More importantly - did you bring your "good swing"? :-)

How long have you played golf? What is your hcap? How well do you hit driver now?

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1314302704' post='3518908']
[quote name='ben6485' timestamp='1314295371' post='3518643']

97-100 SS
wrist to ground is 33"
I'm 5'6

[/quote]

Did he use any of his monitors or cameras when you were hitting? [b]No, there were no videos on me, just this golftek analyzer that measured swing speed and stuff. [/b]

Or just take some basic measurements (the old fashioned...and still pretty good...way of doing things? [b]He took measurements and watched me swing[/b]

Sounds like a stout staff - without watching you swing - my guess is you are fairly steep angle of attack and you try to kill it? [b]He watched me swing....He was telling me that I swing and am finishing with most of my weight on my back foot...that's when my swing speed was higher that 100...when I focused on staying balanced and finishing on my front foot it was between 95-100. Also...the analyzer showed that I was going from outside to inside in my swing. Also he said that my club face was open at address..looked like it was slightly closed for me....I kept saying I'd go get the tool and turn it to 0 degree but he ignored that part I guess....I feel like I would have had a more accurate swing analyzed if was in it's 0 position[/b]

Tom Wishon is a good resource and makes very good clubs - certainly aren't giving up anything by going with his components. Although it sounds funny to have a blanket statement of requiring an Xtra Stiff - I wouldn't worry about it unless you're hitting it like crap. There are no industry standards among shafts....as long as it flies correctly - nobody but you will know what it says. :-)

[b]The only other club I hit had a 44" shaft, and it was alot heavier than mine..he saw me hit twice and that was it.
[/b]

I see you're going to go to GG too - that could work too. I'd simply suggest trying a couple of glued-up drivers and see which one you hit best. Less customization but you have additional info. I still trust the artisan as much as the information. You may have to split the difference with the information. If the fitter has been doing his craft for a long time, I'd take that over a launch monitor operated by a salesperson.

More importantly - did you bring your "good swing"? :-)
[b]I felt I swung ok, but I feel like I show better technique during a round because I'm more warmed up....and outside...I feel I could have shot better[/b]

How long have you played golf?[b] This is my second full season[/b]

What is your hcap? [b]Not sure...I usually hit between 95 and 105[/b]

How well do you hit driver now? [b]I average about 260yds when I hit it straight...most of the time I have a fade....trying to get rid of it...sometimes I hit it left too though[/b]
[/quote]

Wish I had an experienced friend that knows about all of this really well so he could go in with me to get fitted

[quote name='ben6485' timestamp='1314304924' post='3519039']
Almost wish that I would take some lessons before getting fitted
[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about it - but by the same token I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the fitting - simply b/c it looks like your swing is evolving.

Most important (in my opinion) is proper length and flex....and you got that...at least well enough to play decently.

My biggest concern would be that you seemed to change the way you swing at the fitters (from hanging back to going to front foot) - and the amount of change that you experienced seems too substantial to fit you properly (but I'm only going on what I think you said...."over 100" down to as low as 95.

From your own anecdotal evidence you said you hit it 260 on a good drive....by an old fashioned thumbnail divide that distance by 2.5 and you get "carry distance". So if you hit the ball 260 yard in the air (not counting any roll) - you are swinging about 104 mph. That's world class...go ahead and puff out your chest. :) If that 260 is both carry and roll - then I assume you carry the ball about 240-250 with 10 yards of roll.....you're still swinging it around 96-100...ON YOUR BEST SWINGS. So his readings seem to mirror what you are experiencing on the golf course.

But....we all don't always swing our best.

My guess is that if he's shortening your driver (and in the old days even Tiger swing a 43.5 driver I think....) that it allows your body type to swing optimally both from a physiological and kinetic sense (to deliver power optimally and easily) and to also assure better center-face contact....giving you optimal results.

I know this may go against every Golfwrx strategy - but consider letting him make you a Wishon driver and shaft I hear those Wishon 919's are pretty slick and around $150 or so new. ....it probably will cost you less, and work better than asking Golf Galaxy to fit you similarly (I am purely going on my experiences with Golf Galaxy...where I know several of the employees VS. my local fitter who fits PGA tour pros). The "recipe" for your fitter's club may vary slightly from the GG recipe. GG should be able to cut down your length as well..but let them guide you in their fitting, and see if they are as thorough as your own fitting today? Be a good basis of comparison perhaps.

It won't break your bank, you get something that fits YOU, and improves your game. I don't think for one moment that an OEM club that is not fitted for you, will perform better than a Wishon club.

Good luck - this sounds like fun!

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1314307844' post='3519177']
[quote name='ben6485' timestamp='1314304924' post='3519039']
Almost wish that I would take some lessons before getting fitted
[/quote]

I wouldn't worry about it - but by the same token I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the fitting - simply b/c it looks like your swing is evolving.

Most important (in my opinion) is proper length and flex....and you got that...at least well enough to play decently.

My biggest concern would be that you seemed to change the way you swing at the fitters (from hanging back to going to front foot) - and the amount of change that you experienced seems too substantial to fit you properly (but I'm only going on what I think you said...."over 100" down to as low as 95.

From your own anecdotal evidence you said you hit it 260 on a good drive....by an old fashioned thumbnail divide that distance by 2.5 and you get "carry distance". So if you hit the ball 260 yard in the air (not counting any roll) - you are swinging about 104 mph. That's world class...go ahead and puff out your chest. :) If that 260 is both carry and roll - then I assume you carry the ball about 240-250 with 10 yards of roll.....you're still swinging it around 96-100...ON YOUR BEST SWINGS. So his readings seem to mirror what you are experiencing on the golf course.

But....we all don't always swing our best.

My guess is that if he's shortening your driver (and in the old days even Tiger swing a 43.5 driver I think....) that it allows your body type to swing optimally both from a physiological and kinetic sense (to deliver power optimally and easily) and to also assure better center-face contact....giving you optimal results.

I know this may go against every Golfwrx strategy - but consider letting him make you a Wishon driver and shaft I hear those Wishon 919's are pretty slick and around $150 or so new. ....it probably will cost you less, and work better than asking Golf Galaxy to fit you similarly (I am purely going on my experiences with Golf Galaxy...where I know several of the employees VS. my local fitter who fits PGA tour pros). The "recipe" for your fitter's club may vary slightly from the GG recipe. GG should be able to cut down your length as well..but let them guide you in their fitting, and see if they are as thorough as your own fitting today? Be a good basis of comparison perhaps.

It won't break your bank, you get something that fits YOU, and improves your game. I don't think for one moment that an OEM club that is not fitted for you, will perform better than a Wishon club.

Good luck - this sounds like fun!
[/quote]

what you are saying makes total sense...but yeah, it's 260 both carry and roll, so it seems about right that my swing speed is around 95-100.
as of right now my shaft is 45.75 so if I keep that shaft it well def. need to be shortened...might shorten it even if I get a new shaft so I can switch the new one with the original one within seconds for whatever reason I might want..haha

Now, I did get a second opinion at GG and before I even started to get fitted he was looking at my swing and said the same...but explained exactly what I was doing on my downswing that was making me go outside to inside...which was helpful...said he's been in the business for 17 years and all...told him that I got a fitting already today and it's possible that I might need at X Stiff..he said no way you need one...and he put a project x, x stiff on...I hit it a tad straighter but lost 15+ yards on my drives...and I hooked a few drives...which I def. don't want. He recommended that I get a few lessons before I start worrying about the shafts and recommended a few places as well as the GG Pro...already had someone in mind that a few of my friends have had lessons from....so he said save the money of getting fitted now and get my swing down basically.

The guy I got fitted from earlier today didn't say itd be wishom shafts...that's just the program he was going to use to get a list of shafts that I could try...now if the Wishom shafts are something that fit be then I can look into those....I just find it weird that I only swung my driver and one he had, which I think is a 60g Stiff

One thing I'm glad about that even when I slice is that I am great with my irons(for a beginner) and can get out of some trouble...my putting has came a LONG way and my chipping is looking good(except for today..haha)

I'm just going by one manufacturer, but MRC states in order to be able to use their X flex shaft, you must be able to carry the ball 260 consistantly. However, it's just a general guideline. I would have to say from experience and from the literature I have read that 106+ is the ideal swing speed for x-flex. Of course you have to throw in other variables such as how hard you load the shaft, what type of transition you have, etc. Also, it is very true that one company's x maybe softer than another company, but most if not all x flex shafts are pretty much close in terms of cpm numbers which leads me to believe that one company's x flex is not going to be a lot softer or firmer than another.

[quote name='phizzy30' timestamp='1314329733' post='3520096']
I'm just going by one manufacturer, but MRC states in order to be able to use their X flex shaft, you must be able to carry the ball 260 consistantly. However, it's just a general guideline. I would have to say from experience and from the literature I have read that 106+ is the ideal swing speed for x-flex. Of course you have to throw in other variables such as how hard you load the shaft, what type of transition you have, etc. Also, it is very true that one company's x maybe softer than another company, but most if not all x flex shafts are pretty much close in terms of cpm numbers which leads me to believe that one company's x flex is not going to be a lot softer or firmer than another.
[/quote]

I remember the fitter saying that the S Flex in the Project X is like having an X Flex in other company's...so that's also something I should consider.
I also load up aggressively...I guess you would say. He said I'm a "hitter", not a "swinger"

[quote name='ben6485' timestamp='1314330036' post='3520108']
[/quote]

I remember the fitter saying that the S Flex in the Project X is like having an X Flex in other company's...so that's also something I should consider.
I also load up aggressively...I guess you would say. He said I'm a "hitter", not a "swinger"
[/quote]

The PX 6.5 cpms out around 270 on average which is definately x flex. 6.0 cpms out around 260 which would be at strong flex which is in between stiff and x-stiff. I too am a hitter and load the shaft hard(play x-stiff) so I know exactly what type of golfer you are. Don't really have a choice when it comes to producing power when I'm 5'7 and don't have the luxury of leverage compared to a taller guy, haha.

[quote name='phizzy30' timestamp='1314330582' post='3520132']
[/quote]

[/quote]

The PX 6.5 cpms out around 270 on average which is definately x flex. 6.0 cpms out around 260 which would be at strong flex which is in between stiff and x-stiff. I too am a hitter and load the shaft hard(play x-stiff) so I know exactly what type of golfer you are. Don't really have a choice when it comes to producing power when I'm 5'7 and don't have the luxury of leverage compared to a taller guy, haha.
[/quote]
cool...well, maybe he'll suggest something like the 6.0

I'm hoping he has a bunch of them in stock when he gets the list of what I possibly fit so that I can try them all out

[quote name='ben6485' timestamp='1314331105' post='3520153']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm hoping he has a bunch of them in stock when he gets the list of what I possibly fit so that I can try them all out
[/quote]

Try a 5.5....it will be firm enough and you can swing easier and still hit it farther than you think.

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1314334531' post='3520239']
[quote name='ben6485' timestamp='1314331105' post='3520153']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Try a 5.5....it will be firm enough and you can swing easier and still hit it farther than you think.
[/quote]

I saw on the nike website where there are some nike dealers around the area that at the PX sticks so I will have to go buy and check them out