uPro MX status report from Callaway

Dear upro mx owner

,As a valued member of the Callaway community and a upro mx user who chose to stick with us through some challenges this summer, we want to check in and update you on where we're headed and what to expect in coming months.

First and foremost, please accept a big thank you for your patience and continued support of the upro mx device. Your trust is important to us, and we've been working diligently to make sure it stays that way. While there have been complications in rolling out this new platform of golf GPS technology, we want you to know we remain steadfastly committed to the product and to making sure you are satisfied - and ultimately thrilled - with the upro mx and its advanced features and capabilities. So what's next? It's a two-phase approach involving a software update this fall and a software upgrade next golfing season.

We are currently testing a software update that will address the most common issues we have heard about from upro mx owners, including freeze-ups on course and incidental power downs. We will let you know via email when we release the free update this fall, which will be available through a simple download process on callawayuxplore.com. This software update will provide improved device reliability and a more consistent user experience on-course.

After addressing the device software reliability issues that some of you have experienced, we will be working on a software upgrade for the next golfing season. We will be looking to further improve the ease of use of the device on course. We will also be adding additional game and stat tracking features to the callawayuxplore.com site that will allow you to make much better use of your scorecard data.

We will continue to update you as things progress in coming weeks and months. In the meantime, if you have any questions or comments, please email us at [email protected], and don't forget our FAQ page.

Thank your for your trust and commitment to Callaway Golf Company and know that every day we're focused on ensuring the satisfaction of consumers just like you, and we're working hard to make sure it's reflected in your experience with and enjoyment of the upro mx device and every Callaway product and service.

Sincerely,

Callaway Golf Company

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is new also in FAQ I believe.

Q: The timing for the software update is listed as “later this fall”, does that mean October or November or later? Can you provide a specific date?
A: At this time, we are committed to providing a software update that fixes the main issues with the upro mx device that will be released later this fall. We are not going to release this until it is ready, so we can not provide a specific date right now. However, we will provide information and communicate when this software update is available.

Q: What are the specific issues that this software update will address?
A: There have been instances of the device freezing up and becoming unresponsive while in use as well as other instances of intermittent powering off. These issues will be addressed with this update. There are additional navigational and user experience aspects that will be enhanced.

Q: What about the current refund offer that ends on September 30, 2011? It sounds like the software update won’t be released until after the refund offer ends. Why should I hold onto my device and miss out on the refund?
A: We will always stand beyond our products because our relationship with you is more important that any one product or GPS device. The software update is intended to fix specific device failures that consumers have experienced. If for some reason a consumer continues to have issues with their device after the update, we will continue to stand behind it. Please note that the device warranty terms may still apply. The warranty may be found by visiting http://callawaygolf.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39. However, you still have the opportunity to request a refund for the upro mx by September 30th.

Q: Who do I contact with questions about my device and the software update? Will my device still be supported?
A: The Callaway tech support team is available to answer questions and provide technical support for your device before and after the software update is available. We also have the uxplore support community (www.getsatisfaction.com/callawayuxplore) and the support page of the uxplore website available.

Q: When will the upro mx device be available to purchase again?
A: The planned re-launch is in Spring 2012, which is when we will actively sell the upro mx device again. The fall software update is focused for users who held onto their device.

This is exactly the reason why I kept mine. I don't care that they botched the launch, every major company has problems from time to time like this. What Callaway has proved over and over again is that they stand behind their customers.
We'll see how things go, but for them to release this statement (after they offered the recall) shows that they are continuing to support their GPS units.

I saw the OP, and thought I'd give Callaway another chance since I haven't sent back my (third) unit yet for the recall. Well, I called tech support, and the support agent had never heard of the email touting the fall update to address power downs and battery issues. In fact, he said there was a meeting this week where agents were told that these issues would be resolved in an update "before the next season." He may be wrong, but it's not exactly confidence inspiring to hear that the support agents don't know about the email being sent to MX owners. I told him that my latest unit suffers from both those problems, and he said that there is absolutely nothing that can be done to solve them short of the update. I asked about swapping units, but he advised against that saying I'd probably just be swapping one problem for another. Again, not exactly confidence inspiring

Finally, I told him I want to change my email address on my account, because I had registration problems that forced me to use an alternate email address. He proudly announced that Callaway had solved the registration problems and offered to help me through the process. After about 5 minutes of going to different pages and entering information, I completed the task and got a message that I will be sent an email to confirm and activate the change. He then said, "Uh, actually, you won't get that email. That's another problem we're addressing -- but the address change will work." Did I mention, not exactly confidence inspiring? Anyway, since the deadline isn't until the 30th, I'm going to hold and and see what Callaway comes up with.