2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Playing UofM course

jdhallissey

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1317394501' post='3607613']
I'm looking to get out Sunday AM, but in the Chicago area. Not sure if I could stomach playing with a member of the Victor Club, but I definitely want to see this game and the bunts down the middle and the 3 irons that land like a butterfly with sore feet...we should play sometime, Josh. Of course, our tastes in courses could not be more opposite. I can't stand Stonewall Orchard (really any Art Hills course, including my college home course - Hawkshead is good until the 18th green) - I prefer challenges to be more subtle - more options. The "do or die" courses where there is only ONE shot option aren't my cup of tea.
[/quote]

I like stonewall. If I don't play sunday in Michigan I can also put a call in and you could join us at bob o link in highland park if they let us out.

The UM course has been REALLY wet and they have either been closed or only allowing walkers for the last several days. I hope that they do not let people park on it this Saturday because I want to play there next week. They have already aerated their greens though...last year they did it early too and still charged full price to play plinko on the greens...I did not love that.

I personally really like the UM course....except those 12 buckeye trees on the back 9...

Radrick Farms is really nice, if you find a member. I have been on the waitlist for 2 years...only a few left and I am in (hopefully)!
If you are in that area, check out Piere Lake in Chelsea or Stonebridge in AA....both are decent courses and decent prices....

[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1317404337' post='3608341']
[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1317394501' post='3607613']
I'm looking to get out Sunday AM, but in the Chicago area. Not sure if I could stomach playing with a member of the Victor Club, but I definitely want to see this game and the bunts down the middle and the 3 irons that land like a butterfly with sore feet...we should play sometime, Josh. Of course, our tastes in courses could not be more opposite. I can't stand Stonewall Orchard (really any Art Hills course, including my college home course - Hawkshead is good until the 18th green) - I prefer challenges to be more subtle - more options. The "do or die" courses where there is only ONE shot option aren't my cup of tea.
[/quote]

I like stonewall. If I don't play sunday in Michigan I can also put a call in and you could join us at bob o link in highland park if they let us out.
[/quote]

Now, bobolink is a great track.

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1317399797' post='3607993']
Hack job?

Supposedly AH got out the original architect design, and the MacKenzie Society gave their blessing...

Do tell...
[/quote]

Apologies because I may have been confusing the UM course renovation with something else. I know better than to comment on somewhere I've never played. I did do some subsequent reading and found that Hills did not move any earth and was responsible for a good bit of tree removal (both good things). I have withdrawn my comments.

[quote name='jdhallissey' timestamp='1317405786' post='3608425']
I wanted to play pierce lake on the way out o town but they were booked solid. I have played stonebridge too. I was thinking of the Grande club in Jackson was on the radar too.
[/quote]

The Grande is a great course (for the money) in my opinion.
I also played Angel's Crossing in the portage area this year, and I was really impressed. $40 was a steal for that course.

Has anyone played UM in the last several days? Is it drying out at all? I might try to get there this afternoon.

[quote name='tjy355' timestamp='1317646304' post='3618237']
Hack job?

Supposedly AH got out the original architect design, and the MacKenzie Society gave their blessing...

Do tell...
[/quote]

Apologies because I may have been confusing the UM course renovation with something else. I know better than to comment on somewhere I've never played. I did do some subsequent reading and found that Hills did not move any earth and was responsible for a good bit of tree removal (both good things). I have withdrawn my comments.
[/quote]

It's OK....

believe me....I understand....
There are some AH designs and renovations I like .......and some I do not.
I remember the UM course before and after.... best score is 71 from the tips....

Just curious - what AH design do you like? I can't think of one I like...where there isn't something along the way that is so stupid that it leaves a sour taste in your mouth?

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1317686254' post='3620937']
Hack job?

Do tell...
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's OK....

I remember the UM course before and after.... best score is 71 from the tips....
[/quote]

I love them all. I love courses that make you hit your driver on a 3x5 foot box in the fairway. I like raised greens, bunkers surrounding everything. Even when I hit it long I was always putting a ball where ever I felt like it. I have fun when there are options to playing every hole. A course does not need to be long to protect itself. A lot of shorter courses have proved this. Even with me poking it out there about 260 on average I still can post numbers on courses at 7500 plus. Yes it is a long day but I like I said earlier I can float 3 irons all day and have them spin from just about anywhere. A long par 5 is actually easier then playing one at 500 yards that is buried with bunkers and a elevated green.

Thinking about all the AH designed courses I have played I actually used to hate just one... Cross creek golf club in Temecula,CA (well de luz). For about a year after that course opened I just could not play it. There is a hole on the back that the fairway is on a 40 degree sloping angle from left to right. You had to hit your tee shot up into the 2 foot thick weeds and hope it hit softly or it would be in the right hazard. I played it the same way for about a year (2iron-6iron) off the tee. Until one day I played for a 5 yard wide by 10 yard long flat spot over the left hill. After I figured out that hole I love the course. Most will never play it again because it eats you up and kills you if you screw up or don't respect the course. That is how a course should be, yes you will win some battles but the course over all owns you.

[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1317692814' post='3621497']
Just curious - [i]what AH design do you like[/i]? I can't think of one I like...where there isn't something along the way that is so stupid that it leaves a sour taste in your mouth?

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1317686254' post='3620937']
Hack job?

Do tell...
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's OK....

[/quote]
[/quote]

Since you asked...

The Courses at Egypt Valley (Valley and Ridge)

Hawkshead (8 and 15 are two hard par 4s...they offset 18...
(I know... unplayable lie bushes less than 25' from the hole...[i]dumb.)

[/i]Barton Hills (Renovation for US Womens Am)

[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1317750330' post='3623951']
Wow - can't stand either Egypt valley course - even though I qualified for the state am there years ago...just not my style.

Hawkshead is actually great until 18 green. Haven't played batting, and probably never will now that I live I'm Chicago
[/quote]

Let me make sure I understand you...

You don't like [i]either [/i]of the courses at Egypt Valley.....but you [i]did [/i]qualify for the Michigan Amateur there.....

????

[i]You[/i] [i]do realize the USGA Junior Amateur was held there last year.....

[/i]oh, and ......about never playing a golf course....

that's pretty strong...

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1317774618' post='3625755']
Correct - one doesn't have to like the course to play decent there - this was years ago I qualified there - can't remember which course was the qualifying course (last hole was a slightly uphill 4 with dead on the left - like a gully?) - it was my qualifying site. Yes, I do realize that many prominent events have been played at Egypt valley. Ever played Medinah or baltusrol? Awesome clubs in great locations for hosting tournaments, but easily 15 better courses within 30 miles of each - tournament hosting does not equal automatic credibility for the quality if the course.

The battling below somehow got transformed from Barton by my phone (damn android). Never played Barton - so, can't comment.

[quote name='hitsalittle' timestamp='1317750330' post='3623951']
Wow - can't stand either Egypt valley course - even though I qualified for the state am there years ago...just not my style.

Hawkshead is actually great until 18 green. Haven't played batting, and probably never will now that I live I'm Chicago
[/quote]

Let me make sure I understand you...

You don't like [i]either [/i]of the courses at Egypt Valley.....but you [i]did [/i]qualify for the Michigan Amateur there.....

????

[i]You[/i] [i]do realize the USGA Junior Amateur was held there last year.....

[/i]oh, and ......about never playing a golf course....

that's pretty strong...
[/quote]