Houston GolfWRX October '06 Thread

taylormadefan

I too am looking to get an HS9. I hit my G5 so good, but it's time for a change.

DO IT. HS9's are so hot it's crazy. Aside from a shaft change, I can't see a driver being much better. We'll see what 2007 looks like though.

Drew I won't give to much away but I think you will like the new Titleist toys. Or if you need the straight ball you can't beat the square stuff.

I'm looking forward to trying the deep faced Titleist and Cobra drivers in 07. They can keep the square stuff.

Tell me about the new Adams drivers Sam ;)

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The X-Hot 3 wood is so hot !!!!

May need a shaft change though,

Maybe a Creation 80 copper or a Code 8 !

Cally Ai Smoke 10.5, GD DI 60
Cally Ai Smoke 16.5 HL Wood,  Fuji Red TR 70
Cally Heavenwood,  Fuji Red TR 70

PXG Hybrid # 22
Cally AiSmoke irons 5-GW with KBS $ Taper 95 shafts

Cally 56, 58 Wedge, DGS Spinner

Cameron Phantom 5.5  Putter

The X-Hot 3 wood is so hot !!!!

May need a shaft change though,

Maybe a Creation 80 copper or a Code 8 !

Glynn,

Do you see much point in the X-Hot though? It's a driver minus about 10 yards with no forgiveness off the tee is my issue with it.

Drew,

I have not seen or talked to anyone at Adams recently since they contacted me about our "friend."

Played Cordillera Ranch yesterday, and all I can say is DAMN. We're talking Pro V1s on the range (not PRACTICE balls, either), absolutely flawless bentgrass greens rolling 11-12, Zoysia fairways that were so good that it was like your ball was on a tee every time, and a scenic layout that's among the best I've played. The par 3 16th hole is worth the trip by iteslf, but the course was a blast to play. Good mix of holes and there are some great risk-reward situations out there. A yardage book is a must, and of course I didn't realize until we were in the FW on #1 that what I thought was the yardage book on the cart was actually "just" a color, yet very detailed, pin sheet. I wouldn't say there are a lot of blind shots, but there were quite a few holes where you could only see the landing area from the tee, but not the green, and with the elevation changes out there, judging distances to/over the hazards and ends of the FW, etc. was a little hard.

We pulled up and no less than 5 people were at our beck and call until we teed off, including on the range, where they cleaned your clubs after you were done with each one, only without being that all-over-you helpful that some places have. The member we played with had his two girls with him, and they ordered lunch from the cart girl on the 11th tee. Their food was delivered by the same cart girl on 13 tee. First class place that I'm sure will only get better as it matures.

I won't mention the front or overall scores ;) , but I did shoot even par on the back :crazy: .

SLDR 460 9.5* Oban Kyoshi White 65-05
SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x
SLDR TP 19* Motore Speeder 9.8HB
MR-23 CB US Spec 4-PW TC x1 soft stepped
Vokey SM 4 52*, TVD-K 56 & 60
Circa '62 No. 2 raw, ProV1x

The X-Hot is hot and forgiving. The Banzi shaft is serviceable.

I would like to see how it performs with a Code 8 or a Creation 80 Copper !

How are we looking on the 9th?

PXG Hybrid # 22

Easyyy,

You are more than welcome to come and join us, we would be honored with your presence.

As always first round on Drew ! ;)

PXG Hybrid # 22

Easyyy,

You are more than welcome to come and join us, we would be honored with your presence.

I am in! Drew thanks. Make it a double.

Hoover-

Cordillera Ranch with Pro V1s on the range and bentgrass greens rolling 11-12??? Are buying the first round here? Sounds great! :stop:

Easyyy,

I am in! Drew thanks. Make it a double.

Hoover-

Cordillera Ranch with Pro V1s on the range and bentgrass greens rolling 11-12??? Are buying the first round here? Sounds great! :stop:

I didn't pay a dime. My brother-in-law's accountant is a member there. I asked if I could cover my guest fee, and he said "as much as I pay him every month, it better be on him!"

I only wish I had the $$ to even CONSIDER joining. Someday.

Drew - did you get my email? PM or email me your phone #, por favor.

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

I hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving !

PXG Hybrid # 22

I hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving !

Turkey day was good, but lets hope that tomorrow is even better... BTHOtu!!

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

It was nice to see a A&M win today, the conference needs it badly with the other extremely mediocre teams that are in the Big Twelve. It is always a better conference when Texas, A&M and Nebraska are contenders.

However A&M folks cannot be happy with those last two shots at the Texas QB. If I was the A&M coach I would wear that defensive player out that did the first cheap shot on McCoy > No call for that, just stupid and could have cost A&M the game.

The second shot was at least football and the heat of the battle.

Anyway congrats to A&M and I guess that Coach Dennis is safe one more year.

PXG Hybrid # 22

LSU beats Arkansas !

That Arkansas running back McFadden is truly special ! I really hate the fact that we will have to face him next year.

Orange Bowl here we come!

PXG Hybrid # 22

BTW,

I guess that I am going to have to break down and get a Code 8 fairway shaft, just way too many good reviews on it.

Why couldn't it be just $99.00 !!!!!!

PXG Hybrid # 22

BTW,

I guess that I am going to have to break down and get a Code 8 fairway shaft, just way too many good reviews on it.

Why couldn't it be just $99.00 !!!!!!

Talk to Keith before you buy anywhere else. I just got the Code-6 (again) for the HS9. Shafted it up tonight and she feels good.

My VS-Proto 95-X is staying in the bag for a long time. It would take a lot to kick that shaft out of the 3 wood.

It was nice to see a A&M win today, the conference needs it badly with the other extremely mediocre teams that are in the Big Twelve. It is always a better conference when Texas, A&M and Nebraska are contenders.

However A&M folks cannot be happy with those last two shots at the Texas QB. If I was the A&M coach I would wear that defensive player out that did the first cheap shot on McCoy > No call for that, just stupid and could have cost A&M the game.

The second shot was at least football and the heat of the battle.

Anyway congrats to A&M and I guess that Coach Dennis is safe one more year.

The hit by Heard after the first INT appeared on the replay to be a cheap shot, but once the ball changes possession, he's no longer a QB and is fair game to be blocked during the return. From what I've read and seen, it was before the whistle blew and in the background you can see two linemen still going after each other when the hit occurred (meaning the play was still going on). As a QB, you always learn to have your head on a swivel after an INT, and I think McCoy will never forget that.

Now, should Heard have done what he did? Probably not. I don't know if anyone noticed, but everyone around him on the sideline was giving him an earful after he was ejected, and rightly so. I'll bet Fran has a little chat with him, too.

The last one was a clean play, no question. Just bad luck for McCoy and I'm glad he's OK (pinched nerve, no damage according to ESPN).

It was also great to see Mark Dodge have a good game on that kind of stage. Nobody on either team deserves it more than that guy. What a game. Gig 'Em!

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

Anyone want to play Tuesday afternoon? It'll have to be somewhere relatively close because my wife has a lunch meeting and I can't get away until after that (12:30 or 1, I'd imagine).

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

ok guys, i've had enough of these x-tours for now....going back to miura heads. now the question is what shaft?

love nippon 1150's, but want to see how black gold and project x compare? i'm sure you guys have hit 'em all - just please don't suggest dgsl (they're just too light for me and it's what is in the x-tours right now). i trust your judgments more than what i read on the boards b/c i've seen your swings and at least know you all can play decently!!

Tony,

When I went for my fitting at Larry's awhile back, one of the demo clubs I hit was a Miura 6 iron (one of the CB models) with a Tour Concept in it (S300, I think). It was the longest combo, as well as the straightest of the bunch and obviously the feel was what you'd expect. I really like my TC's so far. No real experience with Black Golds or Project X other than quick demo sessions, so I can't help you there.

BTW, you like my new avatar??? (cool)

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

thanks for the suggestion rick...i've given these irons since september to get used to, but they still haven't come around to match up with my girly swing. usually irons come around within a few rounds, but today was the last straw (even though it was my first round in over a month!) played like shite at blackhorse today... (cool)

thanks for the suggestion rick...i've given these irons since september to get used to, but they still haven't come around to match up with my girly swing. usually irons come around within a few rounds, but today was the last straw (even though it was my first round in over a month!) played like shite at blackhorse today... (cool)

Tony, you've got to look into Accra's iron shafts . . . I tried out a set of tour steel iron shafts, it's simply unbelievable, smooth but controlled feel of Tour Concepts but the launch of Project X, it's so easy to get the ball up in the air, it's silly.

Whatever my next iron set is, I really think it will have Accra's shafts in them.

Sorry I haven't been around much lately gents, been swamped at work.

We still on for the 9th?

Tony, how about DGSL?

If not that, how about LIME GREEN OZIK IRON shafts? :drool: :drool: :ppsent:

Just kidding.

I don't have a ton of experience with anything other than DG/DG-Sensicore. I tried PX for a while & they just didn't agree with me. I'm back to regular old cheapy S400 and probably won't stray again (until next week, that is).

... now the question is what shaft?...love nippon 1150's, but want to see how black gold and project x compare?...

Tony, I'm a big Project X proponent. Played 5.0 to 6.0 flex and they all work great for me. I have a set of Zodia forged CBs with 5.0 PX you're welcome to try--they're sweet feeling heads. 5.0/5.5 are lighter than DGS.

I never got used to the Black Golds. They have a pronounced release that came a little too early in my swing sometimes. If you try them, remember they play stiff to flex---soft-step one time to equalize to DGS flexes. Heavier than DGS.

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

... now the question is what shaft?...love nippon 1150's, but want to see how black gold and project x compare?...

Tony, I'm a big Project X proponent. Played 5.0 to 6.0 flex and they all work great for me. I have a set of Zodia forged CBs with 5.0 PX you're welcome to try--they're sweet feeling heads. 5.0/5.5 are lighter than DGS.

I never got used to the Black Golds. They have a pronounced release that came a little too early in my swing sometimes. If you try them, remember they play stiff to flex---soft-step one time to equalize to DGS flexes. Heavier than DGS.

I like the release and smooth feel of the Black Gold. I have not hit PX, but I did play TC in a set of Pings a while back. I felt like the TC's played soft to flex - either that or the butt is soft.

I have been playing X100 DG for as long as I can remember and the only shaft that I found to give me a similar feel but with higher launch is the Black Gold.

Yes, those X-Tour's need to go, Tony. Maybe I'll have my Z101's worked out by the 9th so I don't embarrass myself with my poor iron play again.

Guys, another little tidbit from yesterday's round at Blackhorse is that I have definitely found that all OZIK shafts HAVE to be tipped 1" to play in a standard blind bore head. I'm hitting my HS9 with Code-6 X tipped 1.5" as good as any driver ever. My gripe was that OZIK always felt soft and I never was fitted right. Now, it's all good. Also, the butt of the Code series is not tiny like the TP's and Altus. I think Code-8 will be in my future 3 wood.

-Drew

thanks for the suggestions guys!

wish i would've hit your clubs drew, forgot to in all the misery.... (cool)

so there's a little "kick" in the black golds? hopefully it's not the same "kick" as the oziks b/c i've always felt more comfortable with tip-stiffer shafts.

todd, those clubs sound interesting, may have to try them out. i called joe kwok yesterday and he said he had the same problem with his x-tours when he came to texas and ruined his elbow for the entire trip. he said to grind some of the bounce off the club and it would help (shaft change would only be minimal). he said you were still picking shafts for your ft-3? get on with it bro... :cheesy: