Playing Hickory Golf

Well I wil +++++ the reset. You will never know when it is about to break. Use Lexol on grips. Works good. A little electric tape instead of whipping ok.
The Belvedere is open and you can go to www.hickorygolfers.com and get info and entry form. No pyratone shafts in hickory golf.
Helmsman spar urethane for shafts. A light scuff with one of the fine foam sanding pads. You can put a little stain on. Lastly the MinWax Helmsman spar urethane

[quote name='GaillaridiaHickory' timestamp='1430947578' post='11512317']
[b]Is it a reproduction?[/b] Any info about it would be nice.
[/quote]

Yes, looks like one of Tad's earlier models. He still makes it, although the model name has changed ([url="http://hickories.tadmoore.com/collections/putters/products/dunn-wooden-mallet"]link[/url]).

I saw a lot of people playing this putter at the the tournament in Birmingham. One even used it side saddle (aka front on putting).

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

Thanks Tad. Also are there any other ways to put together a play set for myself. I want some nice playable irons and then I'm going to buy woods from you Tad. Ebay is not working for me really. Luckily got to return the first set that I purchased which ended up being Ladies clubs. I would like to jump into the hickory game head first. I would love to play in a couple of the events this summer. Please lead me the way.

For the very first time ever, I hit a hickory shafted golf club today. Thru the James Spence Mashie into the classic bag to give it a try, see if I could even hit it. Very first shot from about 145 yards, hit the ball to 5 ft. of the pin. Dropped another, not quite as good, putting it 20 ft. beyond the pin. Lucky? Probably. Excited? You betcha.

In total, hit the Mashie 8x during the nine holes that I played today. Some shots were better than others. But they were more of a directional issue than getting the ball airborne. The heft of the club (don't know the SW yet) seemed to be of benefit in that department. Thx to the advice of several ITT, notably a Tad Moore posting earlier, I was able to get these recently acquired clubs into playable shape in short order. Looking forward to finishing up the Brassie refurb and giving it a go as well.

A few good (lucky) shots does not a round make. However, I'm very encouraged and look forward to advancing my knowledge and playing time with hickory golf clubs. As the young folks say, "I'm kind of amped" at the moment. The journey begins.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Btw, if anyone is looking for a decent "hickory" golf bag - here are a couple of good candidates by Belding that Brad Gregory just listed on eBay USA:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/antique-hickory-wood-shaft-golf-enthusiast-Belding-reproduction-golf-bag-/181737261561?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/antique-hickory-wood-shaft-enthusiast-Belding-all-leather-golf-bag-/181737266347?

Not cheap ... but you get what you pay for, as the old adage goes !

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

I find the thing about a new hickory club is you get the tendency to want to hit it for every shot - regardless of suitability.

"I just hit that driver 230 off the tee .. now I have 220 into the green ... if I hit that driver off the deck I might make it ... ok that didn't work but the next hole is a short, tight par-4, and I reckon I can nudge that driver almost to the green ..." and so on and so on.

I bet some of those 8 Mashie shots in 9 holes that you hit today were along similar lines, especially after the successes of the first two ! Hell, I'd want to putt with it as well lol

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

I had no expectations nor understanding of distances or how the club would react. But that very first shot sort of gave me an idea of what to expect yardage-wise. Therefore, I used it only inside the 150 mark. Keeping in mind that several of those shots were dropping a ball and trying the same shot again (no one was behind us). One shot that I tried was a low punch. Put myself behind some over hanging tree branches about 10 yards in front of me. Gripping down on that "long" leather grip, hit the ball under the branches. Just a tad to firm and ran it through the green. But the method was sound, just the execution lacked.

Didn't mention that on hole #8, slight uphill par 3 that plays 135'ish, hit the Mashie onto the green leaving about a 7.6 m (for you BJ) two putt for par. Albeit not with a hickory putter but an old Ping Anser. Told the Mrs., with whom I was playing, "that was a hickory par".

Playing tomorrow with my usuals. Will probably put the mashie niblick into the bag as well. Time to give them a little shock when I pull out the hickory. Or some laughs if it blows up on me. But nothing ventured.....

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I had a chance to play 9 last night. These days, I would say that 90% of my golf is 9 holes alone after work. I enjoy the peace and calm that goes along with being alone on the course in the evenings. When I was a young buck, I loved the Saturday morning 'games' with a dozen or more guys on the tee exchanging bets and barbs. The older I get, the more I appreciate the pureness of the game.

It was a tough day for me. My swing was a bit off and boy did I see it reflected in my golf shots. Along with that, my putting was bad. I had 3 putts for par under 5 feet that I missed. The worst was a par five (or 3 shot hole) where I hit my Tad Moore spoon off the tee and a mid iron to within 20 yards of the green only to take 5 shots from there to get it in the hole. The one positive note is that I hit a couple of beautiful jigger shots. I've finally figured out where that club fits in my bag.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.