Playing Hickory Golf

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1431696115' post='11563236']
The best score I have "heard" was 6 under but I do not think that hickories are an issue in scoring. If you play from yardages of "steel" era they can hold their own. [b]Ben is right about the sweet spot. All clubs from hickory to graphite have that spot on the club face that works for you. Finding it is key.[/b]

[/quote]

I continue to be surprised at how well my hickory irons perform, especially the long irons (20* driving iron, 25* mid-iron, 30* jigger). Along with new leather grips and lots of lead tape, one of the other things I've done that has really helped has been to mark the sweet spot. I held the shaft above the hosel in one hand while bouncing a golf ball around the face with the other until I found the area that caused the least twisting/vibrations, then I took a brown sharpie and actually marked that spot.

After a couple years of messing with vintage irons, I knew to look toward the hosel but even so I was surprised at how far inward the sweet spot was. So now when I set up to the ball I have a little visual reminder that helps me narrow my focus, especially with the mid iron which I had previously struggled with. Toe hits with these clubs go nowhere -- weak flares to the right. But hit the sweet spot and they are surprisingly accurate, both in direction and distance.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1432066389' post='11588242']
Clubs I must get after my initial venture into tourament golf with hickory. A new putter, flanged niblick, and something for shots in the 160 to 180 range. All in all a good round. Found more fan appeal from the other players with the hickory than persimmon and blades. Had a closet to the pin and a couple of skins so came out $85.00 ahead for the day. The money will be going into the newly formed,"I want more playable hickory fund."
All joking aside I felt it was the purest round of golf I have ever played.
[/quote]

A Mid-iron might fill the bill as well, OSR. Mine goes somewhere in the 170-175 range. As far as 'purity of golf' I would agree in that, even moreso than vintage clubs, you really have to earn your good shots...which makes them much more satisfying.

Look at my niblicks. My Niblick Star OA is great, Dominie Sander another excellent Gubson remake, Howitzer- the rare Nicoll remake, and Victor Niblick the Stewart Maiden remake and also a MacGregor remake. All will solve your Niblick issues until you can find an original.
The Star OA long irons are great.
www.tadmoore.com. hickories

I had a chance to take my new Pall Mall driver out for a spin the other day. My bride enjoys riding around in a golf cart and watching me play (in that order). After a couple of practice swings, I hit a low drive off the first tee. Not my best swing, but I was happy with how the driver felt and the grip Tad uses is amazing. I continued to slash the ball around and ended up with a double bogey. Have made a few a few swings now, I hit a beautiful drive (for me) on the 2nd hole....a 225 yard draw. That's the shot I was hoping to get when I bought the driver. I hit the ball much better than I scored due to my putting. Unfortunately, I may have to set my Gene Reilly putter aside and look for something that fits me better or at least something that I don't have to manipulate to keep square. Overall, it was a fun evening. I'm very, very happy with the driver and looking forward to getting out again later this week.

Speaking of getting out, I think I might play in a June WI group outing in addition to the Heart of America. What are everyone else's tournament plans?

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1432120562' post='11592312']
After a couple years of messing with vintage irons, I knew to look toward the hosel but even so I was surprised at how far inward the sweet spot was. So now when I set up to the ball I have a little visual reminder that helps me narrow my focus, especially with the mid iron which I had previously struggled with. Toe hits with these clubs go nowhere -- weak flares to the right. But hit the sweet spot and they are surprisingly accurate, both in direction and distance.
[/quote]

Good advice here. I may have to give this a try. In recouting my round yesterday I distinctly remember a few of those weak toe push fades. In particular, a jigger shot from 180 which fell short and right into a green side bunker (fried egg). I've mentioned before how this club as become a favorite in my bag, but thinking back the misses I have are as you describe. I'm going try the slight of adjustment of moving toward the hosel.

Our water situation here in NorCal is not good. One positive side effect is that our local courses are firming up. While most golfer complain about firmer fairways and greens, I find it a good thing for hickory play. Yesterday I was able to play few ground approach shots to short pins from 100yds. I punched a mashie niblick about 70 yards carry and watched it follow the fairway contours another 30yds to settle in around 12ft. My playing companions with modern clubs weren't as effective, throwing high lofted wedges into the short sided pin. One landed long running off, one short that stuck in the fringe, and one close to the cup but hit hard and settled in around 20ft. In a way, I'm wondering if maybe the California drought will level help those who can play the ground game gain a slight advantage over those who play only lofted "sit and spin" approaches.

• Various Brassies depending on mood: Scottish and UK made
  • Tom Stewart: Mongrel, Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
  • Putters:  Tom Stewart blade or Gem, but lately Spalding Hollow Back
  • [url="http://norcalhickory.com"]NorCal Hickory[/url] - [url="http://pacifichickory.com"]Pacific Hickory[/url] - [url="https://www.instagram.com/stymiemagnet/"]StymieMagnet[/url] (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)

[quote name='Bella Woods' timestamp='1431564039' post='11555222']
Good post Kevin - You bring up a lot of interesting issues....

In my personal experience I have found that the length of the
course measured in yards is not that important for the most part. My home
course is 6,555 yards from the tips, 6,250 yards from the white tees and
there is now a set of "senior" tees at about 5,900 yards. I normally play
the white tees but have played the tips many times with the hickories. I
guess the answer is that you play the tees and distance that fits the circumstances
whatever they are.

[b]I would like to make one point though - a lot of golfers think that it is an
"inalienable" right that a Par 4 should be able to be hit in 2 shots (normally),
but I don't think there is any rule in golf that says this. On my home course
(which was a hickory era new (Ross) course in 1923) the 10th hole is a 448 Par 4
into the prevailing wind, and 18 is a 438 Par 4 over a Ross cross bunker[/b]...... Tough
holes even with modern equipment.

Its tricky here in Michigan because we don't generally get any decent roll
out on our drives until June. A lot of the hickory courses we play (especially
Ross Courses) have a lot of uphill and downhill (and sidehill) slopes and lies.

You played Highland Park - 18 is a classic example of this. Second shot is at least
2 clubs more than what you would normally hit, but on the card its a short Par 4.
Standing there in the fairway and hitting the equivalent of a modern 5 or 6 iron
from 140 or 150 yards is strange......

Leather grips do rock and they always have.....

Ralph Livingston told me when he got into hickory golf he was a 9 or 10 modern
handicap. He got down to a 5 with the hickories....

So long winded response to your question - yes I do think it is possible to play your
best golf with old time clubs and it is not your imagination or otherwise.

I think the reason why Ralph did what he did was because he found a new game and
was really into it and he became a better player because of it. He found a renewed
"zest" for the game and applied it in a way he did not want to (or could not) with
the modern clubs he was playing.

Maybe you have found out the same thing.
[/quote]

Great post. I was especially struck by the part I bolded. Elsewhere, for instance in the "Red Greens" article by Barney Adams in the editorial section of this site, there seems to be a view that golf is more fun if you're hitting 8 or 9 irons into every par 4 like the modern tour pro does. I've always felt that the "right" yardage or course set-up is the one that takes you right through the bag. Long iron, even wood, second shots, and sure, short par 4s - are all good when in balance. It's also, I suspect, more historically authentic than the game being played now on tour, impressive though that is.

It's very refreshing to see people embrace the challenge of the game and not just a "score at all costs" approach. From many of the posts I've read, hickory in particular seems to bring this out. Probably what I enjoy most, even more than the pictures(!), in this corner of the site.

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1432041062' post='11585128']
Andy you will find many variables in shafts. For example Tom Stewart did not shaft clubs. Made heads. You will find a lot of light TS??? Look for good shafts and C9 or heavier SW. A Ping SW scale is easy to carry when out buying. Many good makers including Gibson, Forgan and Nicoll since you are in UK it seems. Last resort lead tape and that is fine with any playing group. Tungsten in the hosel is not good for hickories or moderns. Don't do it.
You can sand shafts then stain and put on a good spar urethane that is made for outdoors use.
[/quote]
Thanks Tad - I´ll stay away from the tungsten :)
Sadly (well not really) I´m in Sweden and there are few sources for finding hickories. My purchases have all been thru Ebay and even though some sellers list a SW I have a feeling that many have been more based on guessing than anything else.

I´ll proceed with sanding and see if I can remove enough to make a difference. Otherwise I´ll have to pull the shaft and install a softer one.

// Andy

Hickory:
Kro-Flite spoon
Gibson Maxwells
Standard Mills putter

Modern:
Wilson Triton
Tour Edge E8 beta 12*
Tour Edge E8 beta 16.5*
TM P790 4 - AW
Cobra King 56* and 60*
SeeMore

Squeezed in 9 yesterday at my home course which at a little over 6000 yds is perfect for hickory. 41, which is a decent score, but the frustrating thing (it is ever thus in golf of course) is how well I struck it. I was either on or within a pace of 8 greens, but then there is the ever present triple out of a bunker where the score goes to pot.

"Oh for a muse of fire and flanged niblick to ascend the steepest bunker face..."
Wm Shakespeare (on taking three to get out of the nasty pot bunker on the devilish 7th at at the Stratford CC)

Driver 10.5 Taylor Made Burner 2.0
Ping 3 and 7 woods
Component 5 and 6 hybrids
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts
Putter: uh, I have a few

[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1432131237' post='11593254']
I had a chance to take my new Pall Mall driver out for a spin the other day. My bride enjoys riding around in a golf cart and watching me play (in that order). After a couple of practice swings, I hit a low drive off the first tee. Not my best swing, but I was happy with how the driver felt and the grip Tad uses is amazing. I continued to slash the ball around and ended up with a double bogey. Have made a few a few swings now, I hit a beautiful drive (for me) on the 2nd hole....a 225 yard draw. That's the shot I was hoping to get when I bought the driver. I hit the ball much better than I scored due to my putting. Unfortunately, I may have to set my Gene Reilly putter aside and look for something that fits me better or at least something that I don't have to manipulate to keep square. Overall, it was a fun evening. I'm very, very happy with the driver and looking forward to getting out again later this week.

Speaking of getting out, I think I might play in a June WI group outing in addition to the Heart of America. What are everyone else's tournament plans?
[/quote]

Woody, I'm glad your enjoying the new driver. It makes a big difference when you have a quality teeing club. If you want a great hickory putter you already know the guy that makes the best.

[quote name='Kirasdad' timestamp='1432227493' post='11601896']
Squeezed in 9 yesterday at my home course which at a little over 6000 yds is perfect for hickory. 41, which is a decent score, but the frustrating thing (it is ever thus in golf of course) is how well I struck it. I was either on or within a pace of 8 greens, but then there is the ever present triple out of a bunker where the score goes to pot.

"Oh for a muse of fire and flanged niblick to ascend the steepest bunker face..."
Wm Shakespeare (on taking three to get out of the nasty pot bunker on the devilish 7th at at the Stratford CC)
[/quote]

That's good shooting, John. Glad to hear you're hitting it well. Dayton is coming up soon.

[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1432131237' post='11593254']

[/quote]

Woodridge and I are planning to go to this event, anybody else from IL or WI want to join us???

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

Looking forward to it Alan!

On another note, I was browsing ebay and came across Luckystix counter balance grip caps for hickory clubs. Has anyone experimented with these? I'm not qualified to change my grips, so they aren't something for me, but was curious about the rest of you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LuckyStix-Counter-Balance-Grip-Cap-improves-performance-of-hickory-clubs/251270441839?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D333008%26algo%3DRIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D30157%26meid%3D7156717fc12c432a81891704ab2fc7dd%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D311351950161

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

[quote name='AndOh' timestamp='1430332452' post='11466997']
Hi all
Finally got my Stewart playset together and have played 4 nine hole rounds with it so far. I feel I´m getting to know the different "personalities" of the clubs and I´m also getting better at actually putting some power in the swing without the ball going offline. Heck, on some holes I´m hitting basically the same clubs/lofts as with my modern set.
I hit my irons quite high normally and that is no difference with the hickories but that means I loose some length in the wind, so I need to become better at keeping the ball down.
Played best ball/worst ball over nine holes yesterday evenings and came in at 2 over my Hcp for the best ball and 6 over for the worst ball so I must say I felt rather satisfied. I think I lost most shots putting (greens not great yet) since it takes some getting used to the different feel of the putter and also how to align it - misses with this putter are mostly to the right of the hole.

Anyway - Here are some picture. I was hoping someone could help me put a name on two of the clubs. One is 31* loft but with no name or number and the other is 41* with a rather small head. Same here - no name or number, but not a mashie or mashie niblick.
There is also a close up of my mashie. I haven´t seen one like it. It has a rounded back and lots of stampings as you´ll see. Great feeling club :)
The woods: a Macgregor 33 Brassie and Spalding Autograph spoon. Great feeling woods!
The putter is a Mills Ray model

All the clubs have firm to stiff shafts and all seem to have decent swing weights.
[attachment=2735603:Inline2.jpg]
Here is the un-named 31* back and front. It does have a scored face but scores are almost totally worn down.
[attachment=2735595:31* front.JPG]
[attachment=2735599:31* back.jpg]
Here is the un-named 41*. Punch dot face. Wider sole than for instance the mashie.
[attachment=2735597:41* back.JPG]
[attachment=2735607:41* front.jpg]
Here is the Mashie. It is in very good shape with a nice scored face.
[attachment=2735609:Mashie back2.jpg]
[attachment=2735611:mashie front.jpg]
And finally the woods and putter :)
[attachment=2735615:woods+putter.jpg]

Any info on the un-named ones would be highly appreciated :) As would info on the mashie
Cheers!
Andy
[/quote]

I'm guessing the 31 is an Iron and the 41 is a Jigger.

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1432341814' post='11611138']
Geeez I did not see what the weight is of cap. My counter balance I would want is no less the 50 grams but then you need a heavier head? My modern putters I make have heavy head and a lot of counterbalance at least 2 inches above your hands
[/quote]

The ones on the eBay listing are 26g

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

Play 9 last night and it was beyond a struggle. My tee balls on 10 and 11 were poor and so bogies weren't unexpected, but I made a double on 12 from the prime position in the middle of the fairway. It was then that I met my Waterloo. Standing on the the 13th tee, I felt like I needed a solid par to turn my round around. 13 is a par 3 that was playing around 195 yard into the wind. It was a bit much for the mid-iron which is longest iron I have in my bag and a full spoon was too much. I tried to hit a 'baby' spoon and hit 3 hooks OB in a row. I just couldn't convince myself that it was the wrong shot ( or make a better swing)...Finally, I blocked one into the green-side bunker and then proceeded to catch my bunker shot thin and hit that OB. I finally holed out in 13 strokes. My highest score on a hole since my pre-teen days.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

[quote name='Woodridge' timestamp='1432383141' post='11612824']
Play 9 last night and it was beyond a struggle. My tee balls on 10 and 11 were poor and so bogies weren't unexpected, but I made a double on 12 from the prime position in the middle of the fairway. It was then that I met my Waterloo. Standing on the the 13th tee, I felt like I needed a solid par to turn my round around. 13 is a par 3 that was playing around 195 yard into the wind. It was a bit much for the mid-iron which is longest iron I have in my bag and a full spoon was too much. I tried to hit a 'baby' spoon and hit 3 hooks OB in a row. I just couldn't convince myself that it was the wrong shot ( or make a better swing)...Finally, I blocked one into the green-side bunker and then proceeded to catch my bunker shot thin and hit that OB. I finally holed out in 13 strokes. My highest score on a hole since my pre-teen days.
[/quote]
I have done similar. And I rarely have any luck with partial or lessened fairway wood shots. You might want to look for a nice Stewart Cleek. I have a Jack White Sunningdale with a 39.5" shaft that gets the ball up nicely from fairway lies and is superb off a tee. It will fill that gap between Mid-Iron and Spoon. Or maybe look for a Bulldog, mine has a deep face and five wood loft and is more versatile than my spoons, able to dig the ball from deep rough.

[quote name='Coralray' timestamp='1432383747' post='11612844']
[/quote]
I have done similar. And I rarely have any luck with partial or lessened fairway wood shots. You might want to look for a nice Stewart Cleek. I have a Jack White Sunningdale with a 39.5" shaft that gets the ball up nicely from fairway lies and is superb off a tee. It will fill that gap between Mid-Iron and Spoon. Or maybe look for a Bulldog, mine has a deep face and five wood loft and is more versatile than my spoons, able to dig the ball from deep rough.
[/quote]

Thanks! I have been thinking about a Bulldog and will check into it.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

I favor a long iron, even if the result is intentionally short, rather than backing off a wood. I have hard time controlling length with brassie/spoon when trying to hit a green, so for me it's best to play an iron to front side and look for solid chip-putt combo for par.

That said, there are several irons to fit the bill (low lofted 2 iron, cleek, mashie iron, or 1 iron). The bulldogs are positively beautiful, I just love that compact chunky looking head. I have a beauty bulldog, but as I favor irons it just never sees any play.

• Various Brassies depending on mood: Scottish and UK made
  • Tom Stewart: Mongrel, Jigger, Mashie, Mashie Niblick, Niblick
  • Putters:  Tom Stewart blade or Gem, but lately Spalding Hollow Back
  • [url="http://norcalhickory.com"]NorCal Hickory[/url] - [url="http://pacifichickory.com"]Pacific Hickory[/url] - [url="https://www.instagram.com/stymiemagnet/"]StymieMagnet[/url] (100% hickory golf photos on Instagram)

I think these shots are ones we have to consider the course. Longer irons are versatile if you do not have to carry a bunker or some other trouble. A bulldog or baddy wood is excellent for hitting a high shot as well as one out of a bad lie.
I have and typically carry one or the other. All around you cannot beat the lofted wood. The original " hibrid"

Play 9 last night and it was beyond a struggle. My tee balls on 10 and 11 were poor and so bogies weren't unexpected, but I made a double on 12 from the prime position in the middle of the fairway. It was then that I met my Waterloo. Standing on the the 13th tee, I felt like I needed a solid par to turn my round around. 13 is a par 3 that was playing around 195 yard into the wind.
[/quote]

Normally I favor woods, but in hickory in terms of controlling the ball, especially off a tee, then I believe a long iron is a more consistent way to go. I am a low ball hitter so I prefer a 24 degree mid iron that I can manipulate with punch shots and stingers to a driving iron or cleek. I also think in hickory play we need to take a different view of scoring in that bogey is not at all a bad score, and can in some instances be looked at as if it were a par. Also, how we score. A 195 yard par three into the wind is a b***ch of a hole in hickory. You try and hit the spoon hard to get there and you get a snap hook or a balloon ball that goes 170. Ok maybe I bunt a driver, but the tempo on the "bunt" is so lovely that I hit it over the green anyway, perhaps into the nasty pot bunker or gorse and I end up with a quad. You can't force things in hickory. A nice back in the stance low or mid iron to within easy chip/pitch distance of the hole means either a very satisfying par, or at worst a confidence restoring bogey and you are back in the groove again. It took me two or three years to switch my thinking from modern golf to more of an auld approach.

My 2 (maybe even 3 ) cents.

Ping 3 and 7 woods
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts

[quote name='Kirasdad' timestamp='1432408918' post='11614518']
Play 9 last night and it was beyond a struggle. My tee balls on 10 and 11 were poor and so bogies weren't unexpected, but I made a double on 12 from the prime position in the middle of the fairway. It was then that I met my Waterloo. Standing on the the 13th tee, I felt like I needed a solid par to turn my round around. 13 is a par 3 that was playing around 195 yard into the wind.
[/quote]

Normally I favor woods, but in hickory in terms of controlling the ball, especially off a tee, then I believe a long iron is a more consistent way to go. I am a low ball hitter so I prefer a 24 degree mid iron that I can manipulate with punch shots and stingers to a driving iron or cleek. I also think in hickory play we need to take a different view of scoring in that bogey is not at all a bad score, and can in some instances be looked at as if it were a par. Also, how we score. A 195 yard par three into the wind is a b***ch of a hole in hickory. You try and hit the spoon hard to get there and you get a snap hook or a balloon ball that goes 170. Ok maybe I bunt a driver, but the tempo on the "bunt" is so lovely that I hit it over the green anyway, perhaps into the nasty pot bunker or gorse and I end up with a quad. You can't force things in hickory. A nice back in the stance low or mid iron to within easy chip/pitch distance of the hole means either a very satisfying par, or at worst a confidence restoring bogey and you are back in the groove again. It took me two or three years to switch my thinking from modern golf to more of an auld approach.

My 2 (maybe even 3 ) cents.
[/quote]

Thanks. I'll take all the advice that I can get get! You and others are definitely correct, the play was to hit the mid-iron short and pitch up. But, coming off of a bad double bogey, I made a poor choice and compounded it with a bad swing. I do agree that bogey isn't a bad score, especially for me.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Congratulations Ben!

I have had the pleasure of playing in a tournament with Ben and he has serious game. This won't be the last we hear of him, many more to come.

Ping 3 and 7 woods
and 8 and 9 irons (SGI)

Scratch 47 degree PW

Alpha SW

All graphite shafts

Nice job Ben!!

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

[quote name='Coralray' timestamp='1432353242' post='11612086'] [quote name='AndOh' timestamp='1430332452' post='11466997'] Hi all Finally got my Stewart playset together and have played 4 nine hole rounds with it so far. I feel I´m getting to know the different "personalities" of the clubs and I´m also getting better at actually putting some power in the swing without the ball going offline. Heck, on some holes I´m hitting basically the same clubs/lofts as with my modern set. I hit my irons quite high normally and that is no difference with the hickories but that means I loose some length in the wind, so I need to become better at keeping the ball down. Played best ball/worst ball over nine holes yesterday evenings and came in at 2 over my Hcp for the best ball and 6 over for the worst ball so I must say I felt rather satisfied. I think I lost most shots putting (greens not great yet) since it takes some getting used to the different feel of the putter and also how to align it - misses with this putter are mostly to the right of the hole. Anyway - Here are some picture. I was hoping someone could help me put a name on two of the clubs. One is 31* loft but with no name or number and the other is 41* with a rather small head. Same here - no name or number, but not a mashie or mashie niblick. There is also a close up of my mashie. I haven´t seen one like it. It has a rounded back and lots of stampings as you´ll see. Great feeling club :) The woods: a Macgregor 33 Brassie and Spalding Autograph spoon. Great feeling woods! The putter is a Mills Ray model All the clubs have firm to stiff shafts and all seem to have decent swing weights. [attachment=2735603:Inline2.jpg] Here is the un-named 31* back and front. It does have a scored face but scores are almost totally worn down. [attachment=2735595:31* front.JPG] [attachment=2735599:31* back.jpg] Here is the un-named 41*. Punch dot face. Wider sole than for instance the mashie. [attachment=2735597:41* back.JPG] [attachment=2735607:41* front.jpg] Here is the Mashie. It is in very good shape with a nice scored face. [attachment=2735609:Mashie back2.jpg] [attachment=2735611:mashie front.jpg] And finally the woods and putter :) [attachment=2735615:woods+putter.jpg] Any info on the un-named ones would be highly appreciated :) As would info on the mashie Cheers! Andy [/quote] I'm guessing the 31 is an Iron and the 41 is a Jigger. [/quote]
Hi Coralray
Thanks for your input. I´ve also become quite sure about the 31* being an iron - especially after getting a "new" 3 iron with the same shape and size but with clear stampings saying 3 iron. The 41* being a jigger I´m not so sure about. I have, after reading your post, compared it to a friends 2 Stewart jiggers and the shape (and loft) is wrong. I´m leaning more towards previous suggestions about it being a lofter. It most certainly lauches the ball high :)
Kindly,
Andy

Hickory:
Kro-Flite spoon
Gibson Maxwells
Standard Mills putter

Modern:
Wilson Triton
Tour Edge E8 beta 12*
Tour Edge E8 beta 16.5*
TM P790 4 - AW
Cobra King 56* and 60*