2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Has Hogan's Heros helped anyone's game?

I've been reading the posts in this forum since it's inception. Other than Hogan's Angle, I haven't been able to apply anything to my own swing or game. Rarely are Hogan's teachings discussed. I'm not even sure when the last reference was made to Five lessons or Power Golf. I find it very interesting that since Hogan's Angle was locked, the viewership has grown to a staggering over 67,000 views. Far more than any thread on this site. And the numbers keep growing. Imagine what the views would be if the thread had not been locked. There remains no doubt in my mind that Hogan's Angle is the Greatest contribution to the golf swing since 1957 publication of Five lessons.

If someone has found something other than Hogan's Angle that has helped their game, Please share.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know i hit it my best when at the top of my swing my weight is not quit 50-50(left foot right foot) i wouldnt even calll it 40 left 60 right but i remember watching hogan thinking that he does not get most of his weight on the right foot...which makes sense as to why he was able to eliminate the duck hook...it just always look like he was slightly ahead of the ball and not making a big weight transfer helped with that...my dads got a video tape of hogan hitting balls i havnt watched it in years but in high school i watched it religously...he owned his golf swing truely one of a kind...shoulders at the target feet right of his target takeway inside big shoulder turn very little lower body movement going back...and a slight fade...every swing looked the exact same

I don't post in the forum but I like to pop in and see what you guys are talking about from time to time, so ill give you my two cents on the subject.

I have a pretty substantial golf background, played D1 in college and scraped it around the mini tours for 5 years, and over that time I was lucky enough to work with some very highly regarded teachers, including several golf magazine top 100 teachers, so I have spent a fair amount of time around swing theory. That being said, I have never been around anyone who takes it to the level you guys do in the forum, the analysis of biomechanics and specific movements of the club at various points of the swing in that forum is taken to a deeper level than anything I have ever seen.

While all of this in depth analysis may be fun for you guys, I just don't believe that it is relevant or necessary to know that much to play good golf. Case in point being all of the good players I have been around, some guys need to know more than others, and some good players seek out information and know a fair amount about the golf swing, but in my experience the vast majority (im talking over 80%) of really good players that I know know what they do and know what they need to do to hit certain shots but they really don't know that much about the swing. They don't need to, they have been good players since they were 13, they know how to play and that is enough for them.

There are a bunch of good players who do a fair amount of tinkering with their swing and yes, you may find them on the range working on many of the things that you discuss in your forum, I am not saying that your knowledge is irrelevant, im just saying that it is not the prerequisite to being a good player.

I view what you guys do in the forum less as an attempt to improve your own game (although I understand that many of you are trying to do that too) and more as an attempt to understand precisely what is going on in the golf swing to the nth degree. So when the question is posed "Has Hogan's heros helped anyone's game", to me the answer to that is that the Hogan's heros community isnt trying to shave shots, thats what the instruction forum is for, you guys are simply trying to gain as much knowledge as you can about the golf swing because you are enthusiastic about it.

Anyway thats just how I see it, you guys seem to really enjoy what you do and I for one think that your enthusiasm is really cool.

Whats biomechanics? ? i would definatly consider myself a student of the game...i am 25 mom and pops have pictures of me swinging a club at about 2 years old...i had the pleasure of caddying for mike bennett for 4 days and got to stroll around and discuss lots of golf swings and players i think we can all agree that there are golf swings that we love to watch. I saw why so many tour guys tried the stack n tilt, they watched mike bennett hit balls. Alot more mechanical than i could ever think of being. As far as hogans angle i have never heard of it. I was speaking of what i've seen through hours of tape of hogan. Read a biography of him by curt samson? Dont quote me on the author, back in jr high and have loved to learn all i can about the guy. But anytime i struggled with ball striking i would watch that tape, i think we all can learn somthing from watching good players play, thats how most become good.

helped? haa haaa.....
i have been on the range trying to suprifate and pronancipate with Arnold Palmer's flexun ....
it don't work.

this forum reminds me of that old story,
take 5 blind men and have each touch a part of an elephant then ask them to describe the animal.

still, its great entertainment.
and when i find the secret i ain't gonna tell ya...........

There are four ways to strike the ball extremely well:

1. Two plane backswing; two plane (cross over) release - Jack Nicklaus

2. Two plane backswing; one plane release - Jim Furyk

3. One plane backswing; one plane release - Ben Hogan

4. One plane backswing; two plane release - Ricky Fowler

Of course there are other examples of successful players using one of the above and some of them have used all of the above at different points in their careers and in the same round depending upon the shot at hand. All of these swing patterns are effective if the golfer is willing to commit to the discipline and practice it takes to produce consistency.

Personally, I think the one plane backswing and one plane downswing is the easiest to repeat over time, creates less stress on the body and provides a more consistent ball trajectory. Hogan, even with his physical limitations due to the bus accident in 49 was most likely one of the most consistent players over time.

[quote name='alansmithdc' timestamp='1324684145' post='3981197']
I've been reading the posts in this forum since it's inception. Other than Hogan's Angle, I haven't been able to apply anything to my own swing or game. Rarely are Hogan's teachings discussed. I'm not even sure when the last reference was made to Five lessons or Power Golf. I find it very interesting that since Hogan's Angle was locked, the viewership has grown to a staggering over 67,000 views. Far more than any thread on this site. And the numbers keep growing. Imagine what the views would be if the thread had not been locked. There remains no doubt in my mind that Hogan's Angle is the Greatest contribution to the golf swing since 1957 publication of Five lessons.

If someone has found something other than Hogan's Angle that has helped their game, Please share.
[/quote]

I think some of us are very interested in Hogan's angle. Maybe you could give us a brief explanation as to what this angle is.

As far as your question, and I have felt this, is the pressure of the back foot, as explained by sevam1, which also, and quite unfortunately was explained in another thread that was locked too.

Why do all the good threads get locked. Why can't the participants who cause the problems be locked out from posting? I don't understand?

This thread is nothing more than a veiled attempt to bring back the snake oil that is the Hogan's angle thread....although it was a very entertaining thread.....reminded me of a Monty Python movie. :cheesy:

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='1lovegolf24' timestamp='1324949970' post='3990437']

[/quote]

I think some of us are very interested in Hogan's angle. Maybe you could give us a brief explanation as to what this angle is.

As far as your question, and I have felt this, is the pressure of the back foot, as explained by sevam1, which also, and quite unfortunately was explained in another thread that was locked too.

Why do all the good threads get locked. Why can't the participants who cause the problems be locked out from posting? I don't understand?
[/quote]

The angle to the dugout is necessary for golfers like you because your mechanics makes the clubface close early and swing path very left. In short, pulling. So you're just adjusting your swing path from being left, to straighter, by adjusting your alignments instead of correcting your swing. Not Hogan.

On the other hand, the sevam cw torque of the right foot (and left i believe) is not Hogan either. If it is, how then can Hogan turn his hips to transition the DS in a lateral manner with a very early and pronounced hip turn wherein his right hip is way further than his left hip early and nearest to target as possible without losing balance? And that happens with his left hip and knee several inches beyond his left ankle.

Can you explain please?

[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1324951182' post='3990519']
This thread is nothing more than a veiled attempt to bring back the snake oil that is the Hogan's angle thread....although it was a very entertaining thread.....reminded me of a Monty Python movie. :cheesy:
[/quote]

With all due respct, what harm does it do to see what is out there? If we choose to lable opinions and theories as false or entertaining, at best, what have we gained?

If someone shows an improvement, no matter the theory or method, etc. , isn't it worth us hearing them out? What else have we got to do with our time? Maybe we just might learn something.

A little respect can go both ways, whether we agree or not. Fair enough?

Fair enough, search for the thread, read it and report back on what you think.

[quote name='1lovegolf24' timestamp='1324961509' post='3991147']
[quote name='dlygrisse' timestamp='1324951182' post='3990519']
[/quote]

With all due respct, what harm does it do to see what is out there? If we choose to lable opinions and theories as false or entertaining, at best, what have we gained?

If someone shows an improvement, no matter the theory or method, etc. , isn't it worth us hearing them out? What else have we got to do with our time? Maybe we just might learn something.

A little respect can go both ways, whether we agree or not. Fair enough?
[/quote]

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[/quote]

I still don't know what the Hogan's Angle is. Can you explain it very briefly? That other thread is utter chaos.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1325001216' post='3992185']

[/quote]

I still don't know what the Hogan's Angle is. Can you explain it very briefly? That other thread is utter chaos.
[/quote]

In Hogan's slow mo swing at the Coleman video, Hogan, pre-impact, is taking a glance not at the ball but at a 22 degree angle aligned with the straight line from right foot towards the ball. In short, Hogan's looking or aiming not at 2nd base but to 1st base. Then later, it becomes to the dugout at 60+ degrees. The genesis is the Hogan "glance" pre-impact. It's an aiming thing. I always do it in my swing when a motherfarker, who's talking/bagging me behind my back, is standing at that angle.

[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1324951221' post='3990525'] [quote name='1lovegolf24' timestamp='1324949970' post='3990437'] [quote name='alansmithdc' timestamp='1324684145' post='3981197'] I've been reading the posts in this forum since it's inception. Other than Hogan's Angle, I haven't been able to apply anything to my own swing or game. Rarely are Hogan's teachings discussed. I'm not even sure when the last reference was made to Five lessons or Power Golf. I find it very interesting that since Hogan's Angle was locked, the viewership has grown to a staggering over 67,000 views. Far more than any thread on this site. And the numbers keep growing. Imagine what the views would be if the thread had not been locked. There remains no doubt in my mind that Hogan's Angle is the Greatest contribution to the golf swing since 1957 publication of Five lessons. If someone has found something other than Hogan's Angle that has helped their game, Please share. [/quote] I think some of us are very interested in Hogan's angle. Maybe you could give us a brief explanation as to what this angle is. As far as your question, and I have felt this, is the pressure of the back foot, as explained by sevam1, which also, and quite unfortunately was explained in another thread that was locked too. Why do all the good threads get locked. Why can't the participants who cause the problems be locked out from posting? I don't understand? [/quote] The angle to the dugout is necessary for golfers like you because your mechanics makes the clubface close early and swing path very left. In short, pulling. So you're just adjusting your swing path from being left, to straighter, by adjusting your alignments instead of correcting your swing. Not Hogan. On the other hand, the sevam cw torque of the right foot (and left i believe) is not Hogan either. If it is, how then can Hogan turn his hips to transition the DS in a lateral manner with a very early and pronounced hip turn wherein his right hip is way further than his left hip early and nearest to target as possible without losing balance? And that happens with his left hip and knee several inches beyond his left ankle. Can you explain please? [/quote] In my opinion, <BR><A href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1AzLrVPu6Y">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1AzLrVPu6Y</A><BR>Hogan back shifts. The left knee moves forward, right hip back. From there the right leg straightens, due to the pre-torqued right foot, CW, and causes the entire pelvic region to shift back, or towards the target. Now , as we all know, Hogan's left knee rotates toward the target before the BS is even complete. These dynamics provide the necessary balance to execute this motion, ,IMO.The left knee can also be characterized as the step in the throw, for rythm and timing, IMO. I cannot swing like Hogan. This is just what I see, or my two cents worth. However, the CW feeling in the right foot is real and works for me and is quite frankly, a natural occurence, as many of Hogan's motions were, in any swing motion. Mark @ Dlygrisse, I have read the thread and have had a couple of conversations, by phone, with both Keern and alansmithdc and I am still learning what exactly this angle is. That is why I am hoping this thread can be civil, and so far, it has, so we can all better understand what Keern has to offer. At least that is my hope. Mark

Unfortunately my cell phone found a puddle and I had to get another one. I lost Keern's phone number. Mark can you email me phone number? ([email protected]) Hopefully he will rejoin the thread. Iam reticent about discussing Hogan's Angle. The problem being that words can get misinterpreted, which is why in person demo's works best. The problems become amplified because each of us is different, which is why seeing a teaching pro is so valuable. For this forum, I think a good, safe approach would be for each of us to describe how we apply the concept of Hogan's Angles. When the naysayers pipe in, then we can choose to respond or not. If we keep the dialogue from the perspective of IMO, then it shouldn't get out of hand.
mp='132468 4145' post='3981197']
I've been reading the posts in this forum since it's inception. Other than Hogan 's Angle, I haven't been able to apply anything to my own swing or game. Rarely are Hogan's teachings discussed. I'm not even sure when the last reference was made to Five lessons or Power Golf. I find it very interesting that since Hogan's Angle was locked, the viewership has grown to a staggering over 67,000 views. Far more than any thread on this site. And the numbers keep growing. Imagine what the views would be if the thread had not been locked. There remains no doubt in my mind that Hogan's Angle is t e Greatest contribution to the golf swing since 1957 publication of Five lessons.

If someone has found something other than Hogan's Angle that has helped their game,c Please share.
[/quote]

[/quote]

The angle to the dugout is necessary for golfers like you because your mechanics makes the clubface close early and swing path very left. In short, pulling. So you're just adjusting your swing path from being left, to straighter, by adjusting your alignments instead of correcting your swing. Not Hogan.

On the other hand, the sevam cw torque of the right foot (and left i believe) is not Hogan either. If it is, how then can Hogan turn his hips to transition the DS in a lateral manner with a very early and pronounced hip turn wherein his right hip is way further than his left hip early and nearest to target as possible without losing balance? And that happens with his left hip and knee several inches beyond his left ankle.

Can you explain please?
[/quote]

In my opinion, Hogan back shifts. The left knee moves forward, right hip back. From there the right leg straightens, due to the pre-torqued right foot, CW, and causes the entire pelvic region to shift back, or towards the target.

Now , as we all know, Hogan's left knee rotates toward the target before the BS is even complete. These dynamics provide the necessary balance to execute this motion, ,IMO.The left knee can also be characterized as the step in the throw, for rythm and timing, IMO.

I cannot swing like Hogan. This is just what I see, or my two cents worth. However, the CW feeling in the right foot is real and works for me and is quite frankly, a natural occurence, as many of Hogan's motions were, in any swing motion.

Mark

@ Dlygrisse,

I have read the thread and have had a couple of conversations, by phone, with both Keern and alansmithdc and I am still learning what exactly this angle is. That is why I am hoping this thread can be civil, and so far, it has, so we can all better understand what Keern has to offer. At least that is my hope.

Mark
[/quote]

I try to do the same thing by looking down the 22 degree angle to start the downswing. Recently, I work to achieve Hogan's impact position where the right arm points along this 22 degree angle. I also noted that on page 107 of 5 lessons, in the middle drawing, Hogan is looking down Hogan's Angle. When I do the same, it seems to allow the swing to remain in balance into the follow thru. But again, as a qualifier, this is just my opinion.

[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1325002144' post='3992253']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1325001216' post='3992185']
[quote name='alansmithdc' timestamp='1324684145' post='3 to811197']nce
I've been reading the posts in this forum since it's inception. Other than Hogan's Angle, I haven't been able to apply anything to my own swing or game. Rarely are Hogan's teachings discussed. I'm not even sure when the last reference was made to Five lessons or Power Golf. I find it very interesting that since Hogan's Angle was locked, the viewership has grown to a staggering over 67,00 0 views. Far more than any thread on this site. And the numbers keep growing. Imagine what the views would be if the thread had not been locked. There remains no doubt in my mind that Hogan's Angle is the Greatest contribution to the golf swing since 1957 publication of Five lessons.

[/quote]

[/quote]

In Hogan's slow mo swing at the Coleman video, Hogan, pre-impact, is taking a glance not at the ball but at a 22 degree angle aligned with the straight line from right foot towards the ball. In short, Hogan's looking or aiming not at 2nd base but to 1st base. Then later, it becomes to the dugout at 60+ degrees. The genesis is the Hogan "glance" pre-impact. It's an aiming thing. I always do it in my swing when a motherfarker, who's talking/bagging me behind my back, is standing at that angle.
[/quote]

I found for myself that by doing Sevam1's CCW torquing of the right foot, that after a number of swings, my
knee starts to hurt. On page 47, last sentence Hogan writes, "No, this is a very pleasant game, and unnatural straining isn't at all necessary, or desirable" For me, the pre torquing is counter to Hogan's sentence.

[quote name='1lovmy kegolf24' timestamp='1325014872' post='3993197']
[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1324951221' post='3990525']
[quote name='1lovegolf24' timestamp='1324949970' post='3990437']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Can you explain please?
[/quote]

In my opinion, Hogan back shifts. The left knee moves forward, right hip back. From there the right leg straightens, due to the pre-torqued right foot, CW, and causes the entire pelvic region to shift back, or towards the target.

Now , as we all know, Hogan's left knee rotates toward the target before the BS is even complete. These dynamics provide the necessary balance to execute this motion, ,IMO.The left knee can also be characterized as the step in the throw, for rythm and timing, IMO.

I cannot swing like Hogan. This is just what I see, or my two cents worth. However, the CW feeling in the right foot is real and works for me and is quite frankly, a natural occurence, as many of Hogan's motions were, in any swing motion.

Mark

@ Dlygrisse,

I have read the thread and have had a couple of conversations, by phone, with both Keern and alansmithdc and I am still learning what exactly this angle is. That is why I am hoping this thread can be civil, and so far, it has, so we can all better understand what Keern has to offer. At least that is my hope.

Mark
[/quote]

alansmith,

I will get the number to you.

If I am not mistaken, and please understand, this is just what I read in sevam1's thread and how I have interpeted it as well as use it, is that the pre-torque, which is actually clock wise, is what you should feel naturally if you are executing Hogan's motion. The discomfort is from over doing it. Let it happen, or feel it naturally. This pressure is the trigger that tells us that the movement of the right hip is done and we will back shift from there to set up, IMO, Hogan's angle.

Something like this;

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1AzLrVPu6Y"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1AzLrVPu6Y[/url]

Looking forward to a great discussion.

Mark

The right knee does not straighten. In fact it bends towards the target. Since it doesn't straighten and your leg doesnt get longer, and his hips get towards the target by a lot, it "drags" the right foot along with it. If you intentionally put a cw torque in the right foot and maintain it there, how could you get early then on your left pivot? How could you back shift early?

The 22degree angle method is just a feel to compensate an over the top swing causing a leftwards swing path. So why not fix your swing path at impact instead of getting too handsy towards that 22degree angle?

your observations are one that Keern would best qualified to respond too. Hopefully he gets in on this discussion.

[quote name='svsvincenzo' timestamp='1325043517' post='3995177']
The right knee does not straighten. In fact it bends towards the target. Since it doesn't straighten and your leg doesnt get longer, and his hips get towards the target by a lot, it "drags" the right foot along with it. If you intentionally put a cw torque in the right foot and maintain it there, how could you get early then on your left pivot? How could you back shift early?

The 22degree angle method is just a feel to compensate an over the top swing causing a leftwards swing path. So why not fix your swing path at impact instead of getting too handsy towards that 22degree angle?
[/quote]

I put the cursor on Hogan's right knee in the video that Mark linked too above. It appears to stay on the right knee as the backswing progresses. As Hogan shifts his weight to the left, the right knee moves away from the cursor. Since the right posterior illiac crest raises from the address position, the only way I can figure out how that can happen is if the right knee straightens. Mike Austin talks about the right knee straightening to initiate the backswing.

printer.gif

What's your QL ?

People have asked if Mike Austin mentioned the QL in my lessons. The answer is "yes". The QL is the quadratus lumborum, the muscles which attached the pelvic bone to each side of the spine.

There's been much study and some dispute of late as to the precise function of the QL. Some argue that it aids in lateral flexion, as in a side bend. Others say that it has little to do with that motion. What is intriguing is the studies generally agree with how Mike Austin told me to utilize the QL. Namely, when one side is activated it brings the lowest rib (the 12th rib) down toward the hip.

To get a feel, stand erect and act as if you are going to raise your left heel but don't allow the foot to raise. You are activating the left QL.

What does that mean to us as golfers? At address the right knee (for a right hander) is flexed. You then straighten it which bumps the right hip to 4 o'clock. At the same time you utilize the QL to crimp in (concave as Mike would say) your left side. That lowers the left hip and shoulder and sets the plane upward. Now your swing can move on the previously discussed "in curve" and the path of the club will naturally move up as it travels along the upward plane set by the left hip and shoulder. But remember our past lesson. You don't move your head. (You're not a dinosaur!) How is that possible? You start raising you left heel which allows the turn.

quadratuslumborum.png?w=291 Gray's Anatomy FIG. 389– Deep muscles of the back.

Copyright llenroc enterprises LLC 2011

Published in:

on January 21, 2011 at 7:55 pm Comments (5)

Tags: Austinology, golf secrets, golf tips, Mike Austin, MIke Austin secrets, Mike Austin's secrets

your observations are one that Keern would best qualified to respond too. Hopefully he gets in on this discussion.

[quote name='alansmithdc' timestamp='1325045913' post='3995333']
I put the cursor on Hogan's right knee in the video that Mark linked too above. It appears to stay on the right knee as the backswing progresses. As Hogan shifts his weight to the left, the right knee moves away from the cursor. Since the right posterior illiac crest raises from the address position, the only way I can figure out how that can happen is if the right knee straightens. Mike Austin talks about the right knee straightening to initiate the backswing.

[/quote]

The right knee does not straighten. The answer to your question above is the right foot drag. The right foot, specifically the toe moves several inches targetwards. The hips are simply turning, with the right hip getting nearer the target than the left hip in the end. In fact, you should feel that the right knee is "running towards the ball" as Vasquez quotes Hogan telling him.

I've always marveled at how fast Hogan's torso; basically from his lower thighs to his shoulders rotated on his downswing. There's only one way he could achieve such speed and in video shots of his swing it seems pretty clear: his right thigh and hip move backwards and towards the target while his left lat and shoulder move behind the ball: opposing forces that creates tremendous torque in the torso. From there he simply releases that torque and his torso literally spins through with tremendous speed and into the finish. His arms and hands appear to be along for the ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5PcKqenvBs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Her is a favorite video of mine. My theory on Hogan was that all his secrets were discoveries about the body and how it works. With this understanding or truths about what must happen in a swing motion, he was able to build a swing that MUST repeat. Mr. Austin, having a degree in kineseology, figured this into his swing also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yDwImZnpIU

Mark

Mike's swing motion is probably the most efficient way to swing from a bio kinetic, kinematic perspective. Elements of his swing are similar to Hogan. Mike's swing is a target line swing, whereas, ascribing to Hogan's Angle theory, Hogan's swing was oriented along Hogan's Angle. Great video, thanks

[quote name='1lovegolf24' timestamp='1325101372' post='3997361']
Her is a favorite video of mine. My theory on Hogan was that all his secrets were discoveries about the body and how it works. With this understanding or truths about what must happen in a swing motion, he was able to build a swing that MUST repeat. Mr. Austin, having a degree in kineseology, figured this into his swing also.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yDwImZnpIU"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=4yDwImZnpIU[/url]

Mark
[/quote]

Great observation

[quote name='tgreenwood11' timestamp='1325079716' post='3996009']
I've always marveled at how fast Hogan's torso; basically from his lower thighs to his shoulders rotated on his downswing. There's only one way he could achieve such speed and in video shots of his swing it seems pretty clear: his right thigh and hip move backwards and towards the target while his left lat and shoulder move behind the ball: opposing forces that creates tremendous torque in the torso. From there he simply releases that torque and his torso literally spins through with tremendous speed and into the finish. His arms and hands appear to be along for the ride.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5PcKqenvBs&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]http://www.youtube.c...be_gdata_player[/url]
[/quote]