2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Victoria BC- Westin Bear Mountain

scratchswinger

Reviews and Recommendations
Planning a trip in May to spend four days on Victoria Island and three days in Vancouver. I will probably golf 2-3 days on Victoria and none in Vancouver. Looking for a resort in Victoria that I do not have to leave to golf and that has a nice fitness center. All I have been able to find is Bear Mountain. Has anyone stayed at Bear Mtn that can give some feedback on the resort, golf and overall experience. Also are there any other resorts in Victoria that you would recommend?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work there as a starter from March to November. Right now its covered in a foot of snow but by the time you get there in May it might be gone. Just kidding. Bear Mountain is 22 kms from the city center. Situated in the western communities (Westshore) take exit 14 from the Trans Canada Hwy and follow the signs. The Westin Hotel is first class and reminds me of Whistler. The fitness center (Mountain Athletic Club) is also first class with a heated saltwater pool. Bars and restaurants are abundant in the hotel with resort prices. The staff and local residents make Jacks, the local bar off the Westin property as party central.

Golfwise, the Mountain Course is the [b]Bear [/b]at just under 7200 yards just above sea level (it makes a big difference to Toronto yardage) while the Valley Course is shorter with lots of architectural features to confound the golf brain. The Mountain has a number of blind shots (thanks Jack) while the Valley is in front of you with lots of elevation changes. There are 5 tee boxes on each course so look at the slope and match it to your game.

From this resort, there is within ten minutes drive, Olympic View golf club (target golf...I'm a member there) Royal Colwood (great old style parkland with lots of trees) Highland Pacific (a newer course that's become a real favourite with the locals) and Arbutus Ridge (a bit further out but 20 minutes will get you there). You are also within a half hour of 12 18 hole public and private courses. May is shoulder season here so the rates should be down. Golfnow also works.

Just below the Bear Mountain Resort is the Westshore shopping complexes so everything is within 10 minutes tops, including Golftown, which is within 5 minutes.

There aren't any other golf resorts in the area. You can get hotel/golf packages from the downtown hotels.

Look online for deals or you may be able to work a deal for rooms and golf as they have been doing that over the last couple of years. DO NOT WEAR TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS PARAPHERNALIA as the starters have been given permission to verbally abuse anyone doing so, this is Canuck Country. PM me if you need any other info.

Thx Sikoram--- We booked the trip and I am very excited. I am good for two rounds while I’m there, so I think I will just play both tracks at Bear Mtn. Are the Bear Mtn courses usually in good condition around May? Also is the course walk able? What is shoulder season?

No worries about the Maple Leafs gear. Is it cool if I wear USC and Lakers gear?

Thx for the awesome reply!!! :drinks:

Scratch
Have fun in Canada....I live in Vancouver.

I have played Bear Mtn once....the BEAR.....it's a great tough track.....lots of elevation changes...so you'll need a cart. You'll need a good tee game that day. Watch out for the 5 or 6th hole. The fairway is uphill then slopes to a gully......make sure you hit the correct yardage off the tee.

Have not played the VALLEY.

I might recommend you play Olympic instead of the Valley. Olympic is a nice track too...quite walkable....the back 9 is especially nice. Olympic is a very short drive from Bear Mtn.

The weather can be great or only ok in May.
Call the courses you play b4 hand...just in case they are doing maintenance....punched and sanded.

If you do stay in the city of Victoria...I like the Delta hotel that overlooks the harbour. IMO...avoid the Fairmont hotel.....only because it's an old hotel and has smaller rooms unless you chose to pay extra for a suite......might recommend you have dinner at the Fairmont........in the Bengal Rm (indian cuisine) or I believe they still serve afternoon tea.

Have fun.

IMO......the Westin Bayshore or Pan Pacific hotel right on the inlet are very nice. If you stay at the PPH.....go have a hot tub with a drink at dusk and take in the beautiful water and mountain scenery.

These hotels are downtown and near shopping....Robson St is the 'shopping' street.

I think you are from Orange County...IMO....I think the shopping is always better in the US.

If you want some restaurant recommendations....pls advise on style of cuisine or ethnic food and I'll advise.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to add to this. I live up at bear and would recommend you play both tracks at bear and then play Highland Pacific over Olympic View. O.V has been in horrible in the last couple of years and the layout is a joke. That is if you don't want to drive to far. If you want to play a really good old school course try and get on Royal Colwood (really close to bear mountain)or Gorge Vale Golf Club. Those two semi private clubs will be co-hosting the Canadian am in 2012.

Driver: 10.5* Taylormade Stealth GD Tour AD IZ 75x 
3 Iron: Titleist 712u Tour Issue S400
Irons: 4-PW 620 MB Nippon 125x
Wedges: SM9 50.08F 54.10S 58.08M S400
Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Mid Slant

• 1 month later...

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1327196997' post='4132189']
Thx, I will checkout Olympic. We are staying at Bear Mtn resort.

We are also going to Vancouver for a few nights. Where should we stay near good shopping?
[/quote]

Fairmont Pacific Rim is the best hotel in Vancouver imho, I even like it better then the Shangri-La. Get a room with a balcony or near the pool and while she's shopping you can be relaxing.

[quote name='kokinos' timestamp='1334769449' post='4745738']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1327196997' post='4132189']
Thx, I will checkout Olympic. We are staying at Bear Mtn resort.

We are also going to Vancouver for a few nights. Where should we stay near good shopping?
[/quote]

Fairmont Pacific Rim is the best hotel in Vancouver imho, I even like it better then the Shangri-La. Get a room with a balcony or near the pool and while she's shopping you can be relaxing.
[/quote]
Thanks for the heads up but I don’t think I want to pay $400 for one night. The hotel looks amazing though... Do you know of any less expensive hotels in the same area that you would recommend?

As far as golf I think I am just going to make it easy and play both tracks at Bear unless I can get on at VGC.

Mr22putts recos of the Westin Bayshore and Pan Pacific are also good choices. Bayshore is showing its age in a few spots but the quiet location and balconies on some of the rooms are excellent. Pan Pacific is one of the only hotels in Vancouver to actually extend into the water. It's a nice 4 star hotel for sure.

You can also look into the Fairmont Waterfront across the street from Pan Pacific and the Fairmont Vancouver up the road. They will both be cheaper and Fairmont has specials for 3rd and 4th free nights at each property. The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver is a classic hotel so if you like a modern setting this is not the place for you.

There are probably 10 other hotels which are good in the 4 - 4.5 star range in vancouver. I've stayed at all the ones I've mentioned and many others and I prefer the Coal Harbour area being close to the water and stanley park over robson myself. Opus in yaletown is a good option if you want more places to enjoy a few drinks after dinner.

If you haven't heard of virtuoso, four seasons preferred or fine hotels and resorts (amex platinum members only) then I suggest you google them. Sometimes this avenue makes the more expensive hotels actually the best value since you get free breakfast, upgrade (Could be vital when an ocean view is the upgrade like in vancouver), $85-$100 resort credit, welcome amenity and sometimes early and late checkout.

Feel free to ask me anything else about the hotel situation and good luck getting on VGC. It's my favorite course in Canada even though a few heads hate the double par 3s and all. One of my friends who plays pebble fairly often said it's more beautiful with the mountains across the strait.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='kokinos' timestamp='1334796073' post='4748204']
Mr22putts recos of the Westin Bayshore and Pan Pacific are also good choices. Bayshore is showing its age in a few spots but the quiet location and balconies on some of the rooms are excellent. Pan Pacific is one of the only hotels in Vancouver to actually extend into the water. It's a nice 4 star hotel for sure.

You can also look into the Fairmont Waterfront across the street from Pan Pacific and the Fairmont Vancouver up the road. They will both be cheaper and Fairmont has specials for 3rd and 4th free nights at each property. The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver is a classic hotel so if you like a modern setting this is not the place for you.

There are probably 10 other hotels which are good in the 4 - 4.5 star range in vancouver. I've stayed at all the ones I've mentioned and many others and I prefer the Coal Harbour area being close to the water and stanley park over robson myself. Opus in yaletown is a good option if you want more places to enjoy a few drinks after dinner.

If you haven't heard of virtuoso, four seasons preferred or fine hotels and resorts (amex platinum members only) then I suggest you google them. Sometimes this avenue makes the more expensive hotels actually the best value since you get free breakfast, upgrade (Could be vital when an ocean view is the upgrade like in vancouver), $85-$100 resort credit, welcome amenity and sometimes early and late checkout.

Feel free to ask me anything else about the hotel situation and good luck getting on VGC. It's my favorite course in Canada even though a few heads hate the double par 3s and all. One of my friends who plays pebble fairly often said it's more beautiful with the mountains across the strait.

[/quote]