2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Anyone looking for games in Tampa?

glauser

I'm new to Tampa (moved here on New Year's Eve) and am looking for some people to play with. I've played The Claw a couple of times and will be playing TPC Tampa Bay tomorrow but that's the extent of my experience around here. I'm willing to play pretty much anywhere. Is there a group of WRXers from Tampa that get together to play at all?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be in town from 1/24 thru 1/31 and am looking for someone to play with. I am staying in Brandon and am trying to play 36 most days. Might get burned out and spend a 1/2 day at the beach. Let me know if you want to play any of those days.

Here is my short list of courses I am going to try to play. I try to pick good courses that are a good value. I also like playing Donald Ross courses.

[u]North or West of Tampa[/u]
1) World Woods (both)
2) Hernando Oaks
3) Seven Springs
4) The Claw
5) Dunedin
6) Belleview Biltmore

[u]South of Tampa[/u] (Bradenton/Sarasota)
1) University Park
2) River Strand
3) Legacy
4) Bobby Jones

[u]East of Tampa[/u]
1) Celebration (near Orlando)
2) Bartow
3) River Green South - I have played River Greens North in Ohio several times, and have always wanted to play RG South

The courses in the Sarasota area are a little pricey, but others seem like good values. Any others that I should try to play?

[quote name='break80consistently' timestamp='1326475699' post='4077837']
I will be in town from 1/24 thru 1/31 and am looking for someone to play with. I am staying in Brandon and am trying to play 36 most days. Might get burned out and spend a 1/2 day at the beach. Let me know if you want to play any of those days.

Here is my short list of courses I am going to try to play. I try to pick good courses that are a good value. I also like playing Donald Ross courses.

1) World Woods (both)
2) Hernando Oaks
3) Seven Springs
4) The Claw
5) Dunedin
6) Belleview Biltmore

1) University Park
2) River Strand
3) Legacy
4) Bobby Jones

[u]East of Tampa[/u]
2) Bartow
3) River Green South - I have played River Greens North in Ohio several times, and have always wanted to play RG South

The courses in the Sarasota area are a little pricey, but others seem like good values. Any others that I should try to play?
[/quote]

Bobby Jones is a public course that IMO is a last resort to play if you cant get in anywhere else. the course is in overall devent shape but the greens are not the greatest. I live in Sarasota now so I'm decently familiar with most courses around here.

The other courses in the Sarasota you mentioned are pretty good. I haven't played River Strand yet so i won't comment on that.

Some other courses in the area you might be interested in are Misty Creek, Bent Tree, Sarasota National, Waterlefe, Preserve at Tara, Stoneybrooke at Heritage Harbour, River Club. All of these you should be be able to get on and play for under $50 depending on what time you like to play.

One place just North of Tampa that is always fun is Westin Innisbrook which has 4 courses on it. The most challenging one if you can get on it is Copperhead where the Transitions Championship is held.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want more information or have any questions about some of the courses in the area.

Dustin

[quote name='glauser' timestamp='1326311152' post='4066497']
I'm new to Tampa (moved here on New Year's Eve) and am looking for some people to play with. I've played The Claw a couple of times and will be playing TPC Tampa Bay tomorrow but that's the extent of my experience around here. I'm willing to play pretty much anywhere. Is there a group of WRXers from Tampa that get together to play at all?
[/quote]
How is The Claw course at USF? They have a really good $20 walking rate any day after 11am, so I plan to play it while I am down there later this week.

I will be playing 36 at World Woods on Thursday (1/26). They emailed me their January special, with really good rates. Morning round is $49 and afternoon round is $35 after 2 pm. If anyone is interested, please PM me.

[quote name='DREEMER' timestamp='1326501967' post='4080305']

1) World Woods (both)
2) Hernando Oaks
3) Seven Springs
4) The Claw
5) Dunedin
6) Belleview Biltmore

1) University Park
2) River Strand
3) Legacy
4) Bobby Jones

[u]East of Tampa[/u]
2) Bartow

[/quote]

Bobby Jones is a public course that IMO is a last resort to play if you cant get in anywhere else. the course is in overall devent shape but the greens are not the greatest. I live in Sarasota now so I'm decently familiar with most courses around here.

The other courses in the Sarasota you mentioned are pretty good. I haven't played River Strand yet so i won't comment on that.

Some other courses in the area you might be interested in are Misty Creek, Bent Tree, Sarasota National, Waterlefe, Preserve at Tara, Stoneybrooke at Heritage Harbour, River Club. All of these you should be be able to get on and play for under $50 depending on what time you like to play.

One place just North of Tampa that is always fun is Westin Innisbrook which has 4 courses on it. The most challenging one if you can get on it is Copperhead where the Transitions Championship is held.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want more information or have any questions about some of the courses in the area.

Dustin
[/quote]
Thanks for the response. Have you ever played Cypess Creek or River Wilderness? I am playing Cypress Creek Wednesday (1/25) morning at 7:30 for $22. I am going to play River Wilderness Wednesday afternoon.

[quote name='break80consistently' timestamp='1327357938' post='4141755']
[quote name='DREEMER' timestamp='1326501967' post='4080305']

1) World Woods (both)
2) Hernando Oaks
3) Seven Springs
4) The Claw
5) Dunedin
6) Belleview Biltmore

1) University Park
2) River Strand
3) Legacy
4) Bobby Jones

[u]East of Tampa[/u]
2) Bartow

[/quote]

Dustin
[/quote]
Thanks for the response. Have you ever played Cypess Creek or River Wilderness? I am playing Cypress Creek Wednesday (1/25) morning at 7:30 for $22. I am going to play River Wilderness Wednesday afternoon.
[/quote]

River Wilderness is pretty good. One of my friends lives in there so I played it on occasion but haven't been there recently. And as for Cypress Creek I havent played there but if you can get an early tee time for that cheap there has to be a reason why since we are in the middle of prime season rates. Once you play it let me know how it is!

I used to live around the corner from The Claw 2 years ago and could play 18 holes for $8! Its a shorter course and not meticulously maintained but its a fun place to go! Its one of the cheaper courses in Tampa but I always seemed to have a good time while on the course.

• 3 weeks later...

My Tampa golf trip was awesome! Lot of great golf courses down there and met a ton of interesting characters on the course and at the local watering holes.

Below is a list of courses I played, ranked by my favorites:
[u]
First Tier[/u]
1) Lake Jovita - Beautiful facility. Hit balls for over an hour and played the South course in the afternoon. It was so busy that I had to join a 3some on #10, but they were awesome! Played one of the best 9's of my life on the back (34) and shot 74 for the round. Best round of the trip (scoring wise), by far.
2) World Woods (Pine Barrens) - Unbelievable facility. Both courses are great, but PB is a little better. Got paired up with another single and played all 36 with him.
3) World Woods (Rolling Oaks)

[u]Second Tier[/u]
4) Dunedin - Classic Donald Ross course with a ton of history. Very, very fun to play. Like many Ross courses, you will find 6 tough holes, 6 moderate holes and 6 easy holes.
5) River Wilderness - Nice course, quick greens. Former home course of Paul Azinger and Rich Beem. Played with a guy who used to played professionally (qualified for 95 US Open) and his brother still plays on the Champions Tour.
6) Belleview Biltmore - Another classic Donald Ross course. Met an old man walking his dog near #16 green who used to caddy for Sam Snead. He told me some amazing stories! I talked to him for over 30 minutes before finishing my round right at sunset.
7) The Claw at USF - Fun course and only $20 to walk. Birdied #18 to finish my trip!

[u]Third Tier[/u]
8) Seminole Lake - Decent course. Fairly easy, but fun. Second best round of the trip (scoring wise) with a 77.
9) Bloomingdales Golfers Club - Nothing special, but cheap. Played poorly.
10) Golf Club at Cypress Creek - See #9 above. First round of trip and played VERY poorly.