2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Squish n turn

vision541

Marte, glad to see that you are still around. I feared that my uncensored anatomical outburst may have run you off. This was not my intention. Perhaps, I got carried away. Please accept my apologies. Something that you expressed regarding the complexity of the discussion here triggered a thought. It occurred to me that perhaps a brief visual anatomical glossary geared towards the concerned golfer might be in order. I have started putting together a PDF.

Mr. West, cool video.

[quote name='megaprimatus' timestamp='1336615677' post='4885114']
Marte, glad to see that you are still around. I feared that my uncensored anatomical outburst may have run you off. This was not my intention. Perhaps, I got carried away. Please accept my apologies. Something that you expressed regarding the complexity of the discussion here triggered a thought. It occurred to me that perhaps a brief visual anatomical glossary geared towards the concerned golfer might be in order. I have started putting together a PDF.

Mr. West, cool video.

[/quote]

[b]Megaprimatus
[/b]Oh no, that little outburst didn't run me off...I've been quite busy lately...so absolutely no apology necessary...in fact I was going to inquire as to what you were smoking during that series of posts...and ask where you got it so I could get some too :D .

PDF sounds very good!!!!!

[b]Squish[/b]...THANKS for replying to my last post. Sorry for delay in replying...been quite busy...will work on the things you suggested and will respond later regarding results. Thanks again.

Excellent find, that is it, and done as the right shoulder rotates medially.
Just as the left shoulder within the girdle turns back to the top, the right shoulder turns through.
The opposite arm must flex to shorten.

That creates a helical swinging motion, and a swinging motion is equal at both ends.
There is no need to force a pendulum to swing by pushing or pulling.
However, the extension of the right arm, out from the center of rotation will allow
the right arm to become the left arm through impact, exponentially increasing club head velocity.
But the arm should flex and extend out, it should not swing across the body.
Instead the turn of the hips and torso, turn you. They turn the inclined shoulder wheel, hands and arms, as a unit.
You begin to follow the club head and the body reacts.

Force. Emits from the nucleus, through the spiral arm.
That guides the club head on the far extended path of the stellar disc.
Way out there, through compression, Stars are born.

Extension out from center, and the helical snap of the arm is where the power lies.
Centrifugal force.
The better extension out, while turning through impact, the smoother and slower the swing feels
The farther the ball goes.

That's my take on it through what I have experienced.

BTW, that babe is using a Mike Austin right arm action from the top.
Step and throw. Not step then throw.

That is so good, and really helps me get my point across.

That is why I call this the right angle,
the angle one should maintain, and be concerned with through impact.
Forget the left arm from the top. Think about hitting the ball.
Rotate the the entire length of the arm from the rotor cuff,
that keeps them in place, in their timed position, as the shoulder girdle turns them.
All you do is extend out, as you turn.

Notice the length of the arrow extends out from center through impact, as the right UN-flexes or extends.
The arms do not cross the torso.
The right arm medially rotates, the left upper arm (humerus) lateral rotates as the shoulder girdle turns.

[attachment=1158732:stop.png]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWX-QHHzvUc&feature=channel&list=UL[/media]

At the beginning of this video Mike demonstrates this with the left arm from the top.
He had a stroke and paralyzed right side could not perform it.
He explains for distance and power, Holding it is the biggest lie ever perpetrated on the golfing world.
Keep in mind the shoulder girdle is turning as you do this extension or whipping from the top.

[quote name='Breeves85' timestamp='1336753423' post='4895822']
The man himself:
Golf's biggest lie
Mike Dunaway said that it is only casting if you stop moving the body.
Jack said you can never release too early
[/quote]

Good words :hi:

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

[quote name='Squish' timestamp='1336733911' post='4894084']
[/quote]

if the right arm rotates internally(medially) on the downswing then isnt the wrist passing the elbow and youre getting steeper? Or are you speaking specifically from a position of delivery(MORAD P6-club shaft parallel to the ground in downswing)

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1336777565' post='4898122']
[quote name='Squish' timestamp='1336733911' post='4894084']
[/quote]

if the right arm rotates internally(medially) on the downswing then isnt the wrist passing the elbow and youre getting steeper? Or are you speaking specifically from a position of delivery(MORAD P6-club shaft parallel to the ground in downswing)
[/quote]

Intelligent question.
Thanks for explaining parallel to the ground P6.

That famous position, with the left hand in palmar, right in dorsal, is not, in my method, a fixed position.
It is an outward twist or torquing of the right forearm away from the target line, on the way to extension. A reaction to the throw of the clubhead.
The move actually allows one to get the the wrist farther behind the elbow in P6, and keep it there, longer than one can by just putting it there.
When at the top, the stimulus is an uncocking of the wrists. Applying a slight pressure of the left thumb, against the handle,
coupled with a clockwise twist of the right forearm that sets the hands in dorsal, palmar, leading the right arm to UN-flexion.
Through acceleration. Some call it flattening, but there is a method to it.

As the right is extending, turning clockwise perpendicular to the shoulder turn, the hands, through centrifugal force, are going into ulna deviation.
When the thumbs become inline with the radius bones, ulna deviation, the right arm is still in slight flexion,as the hands remain at the right hip.
That is the point in the sequence where the medial rotation of the entire arm begins.

So the right arm has the ability to twist in opposite directions, while continuing to throw the club away from impact, in dorsal, till it ulna deviates.
It releases as it turns over. That is the snap.

That is why Austin explained to John Weaver, in the posted video, that one wants a six inch left and a 36 inch right through impact.
John had the opposite dragging it through, harpooning, never releasing the head of the club, or snapping through.

Cool thing is if one just relaxes the arms from the top the arms do this automatically, IF the first move is a compression of the right side and a turn.
Squish and turn.
If you move laterally, the sequence is lost because you are holding it and there is not enough time to release.
You are supinating through impact, pronating at the completion of release.
Turning it over from the rotor cuff. Do it with just the forearms you snap hook.

[quote name='megaprimatus' timestamp='1336880324' post='4903868']
Check out the amazing display of medial rotation at 0:28.

Mesmerizing.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5X86nD_WS4&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.c...S4&feature=plcp[/url]
[/quote]

wow that was awesome. i think i really get it. Squish does the medial and lateral rotation of the shoulders bigin at the top? what i mean is, do you conciously do it in transition or do you wait til 10 o'clock?

[quote name='Breeves85' timestamp='1336884080' post='4904120']
[quote name='megaprimatus' timestamp='1336880324' post='4903868']
Check out the amazing display of medial rotation at 0:28.

Mesmerizing.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5X86nD_WS4&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.c...S4&feature=plcp[/url]
[/quote]

wow that was awesome. i think i really get it. Squish does the medial and lateral rotation of the shoulders bigin at the top? what i mean is, do you conciously do it in transition or do you wait til 10 o'clock?
[/quote]

To try to put it simply; When you backtoss at the top, the right forearm is super supinated.

That supination is is sending the right elbow parallel to the flightline, as the weight of the shaft and clubhead opposite the right elbow is leading that twisting or throwing action.

The continued outward helical twist of the forearm,relaxed, powered via the centrifugal force, is extending the right arm.

As the thumb lines up radius bone with the shaft, you are still supinating through impact.

The medial rotation is a reaction to the outward twist as the right extends out 90* to the shoulder line.

The squish and turn, swings the hip and torso to the ball as it snaps through.

The right elbow never has a chance to fully extend till well after impact, less you arrest the turn.

It is a process, and that process begins at the top.

[quote name='Squish' timestamp='1336914407' post='4904862']

To try to put it simply; When you backtoss at the top, the right forearm is super supinated.

That supination is is sending the right elbow parallel to the flightline, as the weight of the shaft and clubhead opposite the right elbow is leading that twisting or throwing action.

The continued outward helical twist of the forearm,relaxed, powered via the centrifugal force, is extending the right arm.

As the thumb lines up radius bone with the shaft, you are still supinating through impact.

The medial rotation is a reaction to the outward twist as the right extends out 90* to the shoulder line.

The squish and turn, swings the hip and torso to the ball as it snaps through.

The right elbow never has a chance to fully extend till well after impact, less you arrest the turn.

It is a process, and that process begins at the top.
[/quote]

I also find it important to use a heavy enough club head and shaft.
Todays equipment is too light IMO.
Had to go back to my older driver to make me able to hit it.
new one simply didn't allow me proper feedback.
was killing the ball today with older driver.

Knows the secret to the golf swing to own it.
300+ yards and 4% dispersion for unmatched accuracy
Golf God

Think I have this [b]HEEL hitting[/b] problem solved (taking it to course later to see if for real) and it looks like it wasn't ALL about balanced feet. So last year I hit full shots fine. 13 of my last 15 rounds under 80, good chipper, pitcher, average putter, not a long hitter but straight. Then, over the winter in my indoor man cave practice area I started hitting off the heel. Tried all kinds of things to stop it. Nothing worked. Found this thread and a few weeks back reported that instituting some of Squish's methods had stopped heel hits. Well that lasted about 5 minutes and heel hits then got worse. Over the last few weeks tried Squish's, and other's suggestions on this and other threads regarding how to try to stay in balance. Nothing worked. Quite demoralized. Thursday I shanked a 50 yd wedge into a sand trap and hit a low powerless hybrid off the heel into an easy to carry swamp about 50 yds off the tee. Talk about pissed off. Swinging like this I obviously haven't been able to give the Squish&Turn a fair effort.

So yesterday, in man cave, for some reason, I started letting my right arm become detached from my body (flying right elbow) and contact was better. Then I read Squish's post (just above) about supination (had to google it) of the right forearm. So I tried that. Felt good, swing felt much better. Some weight still drifting to toes but heel hits not as bad as before.

Does this make sense? Over the winter, I took very few full swings in man cave...worked mostly on 50 yard shot with hands coming only chest high. Somehow, without realizing, I got into the habit of kind of PRONATING my right forearm on the backswing. (OK, maybe not pronating on > but not supinating) Guess I pronated even more on forward swing. To me, it now feels that this was causing my right shoulder to jut out, move forward away from my body on the forward swing causing my head to snap out of position forcing me off balance towards the toes bigtime. Does this make sense? Am I analyzing correctly that this is what could have been happening??? So I'm going back to my old swing for now. I'll work on foot balance and supinating the right forearm and hope for the best. If this works, if I can get my swing back, when I feel comfortable, I'll give the Squish'nTurn method (or parts thereof) another shot. Thanks for any feedback.

It sure does make sense.

Marte, you are looking for something definite.
Something that works every time, repeatable.
I have that feel, I just take it to the top and swing.
From swinging in the yard, taking half swings, I lost my complete shoulder turn at take away for a while, and did not realize it.
I shagged a few balls with Bob Montello in Pinehurst recently,
It took less than a minute for him to notice.
Educated eyes can help ones swing.
I knew enough about the shoulders to correct it in a minute.

Rotating the right forearm clockwise at the top sends the club on a wide arc under plane.
From what you write, by pronating, you were sending the club above the plane.
Then attempting to drop under plane.

I try to think extending the right arm out from the right shoulder as I turn.

If you study the medial rotation in mega's clips, you should notice the clockwise
or supination of the right forearm at the top.
It is a torque or winding motion against the medial rotation.

From the top of the swing through impact
the right arm never leaves the 90* position relative to the right shoulder line.
Crosses high after impact at the finish.

Mike Austin said;,

[b]"I get the feeling when I take a swing a a golf ball, that I am making an underhanded pitch or throw
of the club head,[size="4"] while[/size] stepping over to my left foot and aiming the club [size="2"]through[/size] the golf ball."

[/b]He had owned a gym in Hollywood where he taught boxing, tennis, baseball and golf. The walls of the gym had mirrors which he said accelerated the learning process.

[quote name='flopper' timestamp='1336924718' post='4905532']

I also find it important to use a heavy enough club head and shaft.
Todays equipment is too light IMO.
Had to go back to my older driver to make me able to hit it.
new one simply didn't allow me proper feedback.
was killing the ball today with older driver.
[/quote]

Same observation made by the old timers going from hickory to steel shafts.
Stated they lost the feel of the club head.
Bobby Jones, stated he felt as if he was swinging a weight on a string when playing his best.

This is why the pressure of the base of the right forefinger is paramount.

[quote name='Squish' timestamp='1337015375' post='4912114']
It sure does make sense.

Marte, you are looking for something definite.
Something that works every time, repeatable.
I have that feel, I just take it to the top and swing.
[b]From swinging in the yard, taking half swings, I lost my complete shoulder turn at take away for a while, and did not realize it.
I shagged a few balls with Bob Montello in Pinehurst recently,
It took less than a minute for him to notice.
Educated eyes can help ones swing.
I knew enough about the shoulders to correct it in a minute.[/b] [u] (I've just now been replicating the little heel hit half swing I'd been making all winter in my mancave and sure enough my back shoulder was turning very little. No educated eyes for 100's of miles around here when it's -40*F outside LOL.)[/u] [b]
[/b]
Rotating the right forearm clockwise at the top sends the club on a wide arc under plane.
[b]From what you write, by pronating, you were sending the club above the plane.
Then attempting to drop under plane. [u] [/u][/b][u](I think what was happening was, at approxiately waist high with shaft parallel to target line my clubface was slightly shut (right forearm/elbow slightly pronated). I was starting my <forward swing by simply turning my chest. If you try this, without adjusting the shoulder, the right elbow smacks into to the right lovehandle. The only way to stop this happening is to move right shoulder forward on <swing so elbow doesn't hit hip. Moving right shoulder forward moves club forward and also causes weight to move out to toes. Voila...heels hits. When the right forearm is supinated there is little worry of the elbow smacking the hip.)
[/u]

I try to think extending the right arm out from the right shoulder as I turn.

If you study the medial rotation in mega's clips, you should notice the clockwise
or supination of the right forearm at the top.
It is a torque or winding motion against the medial rotation.

From the top of the swing through impact
the right arm never leaves the 90* position relative to the right shoulder line.
Crosses high after impact at the finish.

[/quote]

Squish...when you supinate the right forearm and the clubshaft is parallel to target line with hands approx waist high...is your clubface square, a little open or very open with clubface almost facing the sky?

So played 20 holes yesterday. Focused mostly on balance (by lifting my front big toe up in my shoe) and paid attention to supinating right forearm which I did with a little waggle. Hit 41 of 43 40yd to full swing shots very well, chipped and pitched good too. Putting sucked but didn't care, was concerned only with 1/2 and full swings. The 2 bad shots of the 43 (cost me 3 penalty strokes) were both balance related. Both times my front big toe slammed into the ground on the <swing, weight went flying foward, came over the top I think and hit 2 very ugly duck hooks. Oh well, take those 2 ugly swings out of the picture and I was very, very happy...14/20 GIR...very balanced...swing felt good. So truck on...yes I've made notes lol.

Thanks for your insights Squish!

Hello Squish, I've really been thinking about your thoughts on the golf swing and incorporating them into my swing. I've played golf for 20 years and while I know my knowledge of the swing and the different ways it can be done it minimal this thread makes me realize how little I know of the swing...lol. I wanted to know if there is a drill or 2 you can suggest that would help start the learning process from backswing to downswing. I read enough to gather the setup and grip (probably wrong) but I'm really having a problem with how to start the backswing in regards to left arm pronation to the transition and right arm supination (is that what you refer to as the backtoss) to impact. I'm sure you're a busy man but any help in these areas would be appreciated. I've read it over multiple times but just can't seem to get the ideas you're trying to convey, thank you. This thread is very enlightening to say the least.

[quote name='cjaguirre74' timestamp='1337125378' post='4921342']
Hello Squish, I've really been thinking about your thoughts on the golf swing and incorporating them into my swing. I've played golf for 20 years and while I know my knowledge of the swing and the different ways it can be done it minimal this thread makes me realize how little I know of the swing...lol. I wanted to know if there is a drill or 2 you can suggest that would help start the learning process from backswing to downswing. I read enough to gather the setup and grip (probably wrong) but I'm really having a problem with how to start the backswing in regards to left arm pronation to the transition and right arm supination (is that what you refer to as the backtoss) to impact. I'm sure you're a busy man but any help in these areas would be appreciated. I've read it over multiple times but just can't seem to get the ideas you're trying to convey, thank you. This thread is very enlightening to say the least.
[/quote]

He isnt really explaining a [i]new[/i] swing. It's more of a detailed explanation about how most of us thought we were getting it done to begin with. I guess footwork and pivot will sometimes vary with strength and flexibility; but the squish n turn is intriguing. It focuses more on secondary axis tilt and the thoughts/feel are closer to the center of the circle. You cant make changes by working on the outside of the circle (beating balls by swinging the clubhead) without a sound inner circle.

I dont think you [i]need[/i] to change your backswing. Maybe we can get more insight from the man himself...

[quote name='PingG10guy' timestamp='1337162419' post='4923720']
He isnt really explaining a [i]new[/i] swing. It's more of a detailed explanation about how most of us thought we were getting it done to begin with. I guess footwork and pivot will sometimes vary with strength and flexibility; but the squish n turn is intriguing. It focuses more on secondary axis tilt and the thoughts/feel are closer to the center of the circle. You cant make changes by working on the outside of the circle (beating balls by swinging the clubhead) without a sound inner circle.

I dont think you [i]need[/i] to change your backswing. Maybe we can get more insight from the man himself...
[/quote]

That is my point, balance and timing.
Find the balance by teetering at address, back to front weight distribution.
The timing is the set at address, grip and stance.
Secondary axis tilt is impact position, 3rd of the rotating plane.

Full swing: At address the hips/ torso are parallel to the flight line. At the top they face 70* to the right.
At impact 70* to the left.

However, the shoulders at the top are turned 20* farther giving that 90* look of back facing the target.
But the torso can only turn 70*. The back will never face the target with the trailing foot attached.
When you turn or step from the top, because the shoulders are turned 20* past the hips and chest,
they are brought to square or a little open as the hips are cleared to 70* open.

Center of the circle;
I treat shoulders elbows and wrists on a plane perpendicular to the spine, the ankles, knees and hips below.
The point where the two planes meet is the top of the spine 7th cervical.
The ankles knees and hips/torso, control the plane of the rotating shoulder girdle.

The spine swings under 7C (top of the spine) as the ankles knees and hips (foot action) index the torso.
The shoulders turn around the top of the spine, as a reaction to the throw of the clubhead which is extenting the arms.
The balance keeps 7C centered.

When the old timers stated keep your head still they were correct for the most part.
But the 15 lb. head must offset the the swing of the center of gravity.
They should of been saying keep the top of the spine (7C) still.

[quote name='marte' timestamp='1337112603' post='4920076']
Squish...when you supinate the right forearm and the clubshaft is parallel to target line with hands approx waist high...is your clubface square, a little open or very open with clubface almost facing the sky?

[/quote]

I say keep the palm of the right hand and clubface square to the arc, throughout the swing.
So the clubface/right palm at P6 is going on path directly at the ball.
I supinate both right and left going into ulna deviation, uncocking.
The right elbow cannot unflex as the hands are at the right side.
It will unflex as you turn it over through impact. fully extending, then hands crossing over left shoulder.

The back of the left hand changes for myself, as I play the lead angle of the club vs. a static ball position.

Simple thing like good balance and set up can change everything.
It did for me.

Thanks for taking notes and explaining where you are in your process.
If everyone did that, I think we would all be wiser.

[/quote]

This drill will give you the feel.

Stand and incline to the ball at address, move only the shoulders to take the arm assembly away as you draw the right kneecap in and back,
retracting your right glute. Keep the right elbow pointing down,
Don't do anything with the hands or forearms. No pronation or supination, just turn the shoulders till they stop.

From that position, bring your left arm down, hand off the club, while back there holding that body position,
and touch the outside of your right knee with your finger tips.
If you can't, then drop your left shoulder by further retracting the right glute till you can.

Now stay on that right side, then turn the left hip while raising the right heel and dropping the right shoulder.
Reach over with your right arm and touch the left knee with your fingertips.
If you can't, then drop your right shoulder by further turning the left hip till you can.

Hold that position, put both hands on the club, and point the club shaft extending down the line.

Then stand to finish balanced on your left leg.

That's how it feels.

[quote name='Squish' timestamp='1337170837' post='4924000']
[/quote]

This drill will give you the feel.

Stand and incline to the ball at address, move only the shoulders to take the arm assembly away as you draw the right kneecap in and back,
retracting your right glute. Keep the right elbow pointing down,
Don't do anything with the hands or forearms. No pronation or supination, just turn the shoulders till they stop.

From that position, bring your left arm down, hand off the club, while back there holding that body position,
and touch the outside of your right knee with your finger tips.
If you can't, then drop your left shoulder by further retracting the right glute till you can.

Now stay on that right side, then turn the left hip while raising the right heel and dropping the right shoulder.
Reach over with your right arm and touch the left knee with your fingertips.
If you can't, then drop your right shoulder by further turning the left hip till you can.

Hold that position, put both hands on the club, and point the club shaft extending down the line.

Then stand to finish balanced on your left leg.

That's how it feels.
[/quote]

This is great, thank you very much for your reply.

[quote name='cjaguirre74' timestamp='1337202276' post='4926956']
This is great, thank you very much for your reply.
[/quote]

Your welcome,

This squish and turn drill keeps 7C top of the spine centered, both for the backswing and the return swing,
through the resistance of the ankles knees a hips against the shoulder turn.

If one were to simply brace the knees, without retracting the glutes, they would set up a reverse pivot.
The weight would teeter to the outside of the foot causing the top of the spine, to slide, fall or sway.
Trees sway, and swings swing, one must detach those heels to create a swing, not rooted in the ground.
For a swing to swing it needs no force, it just needs to be positioned, then let go, or allowed to swing.
You just go for the ride. All you do is turn from the top.

The touching of the knees at the ends of the swing, ensures that one's shoulder girdle is turning dead on plane,
maintaining the forward inclination that was set at address, from slot to follow through.
The shoulder plane is controlled through the 6 levers of the lower body, the ankles knees and hips.
Retracting the glutes controls the plane.

Adding the medial rotation of the left arm to the top, and the medial rotation of the right arm going through finishes the full swing.
One wants the club behind them at the top, not above, to be on plane.
Checking the forward inclination by touching the knees ensures this.

I tell you when one gets those shoulders turning on plane through the positioning of the ankles knees and hips,
All one has to do is relax the hands and arms to play good golf.

You can press by throwing the clubhead (supinating through the ball) from the top for distance.
You can press because you are throwing vs bumping, shifting, or sliding the body.
The spine instead is swinging as it turns, it is what gives the the golf swing its swing.

[quote name='megaprimatus' timestamp='1336276632' post='4857340']
[quote name='j victor west' timestamp='1336171087' post='4850748']
...A circle within a circle within a circle can make you dizzy.
[/quote]

The third circle is where the devil lives.
[/quote]

The following analogy is an absurd, gross simplification and consists of nothing other than pure conjecture.

There seems to be three circles. A circle within a circle within a circle.

The first circle appears as the largest circle to the eye. Normally, circles have a central pivot point, but this circle is abnormal. This large first circle seems as if it pivots around the base of the neck. This off center placement of the pivot point seems odd, but that is where the second circle comes into play. The second circle pivots in the vicinity of one's wrists. This secondary pivot point provides for a collapsing of the major radius describing the first circle. The major radius would be the distance between the base of the neck and the sweet spot of the clubhead. The major radius could be thought of as the sum of two minor radii. One's extended arm would provide one minor radius, the length of the club would provide the second minor radius. The dynamic, gradual collapsing and extending of the major radius of the first circle is what allows for the center of the first circle to be offset.

Now, that's all fine and dandy. But take one step further and madness sets in. Things get awful tricky with the third circle. The third circle is where the devil takes over. So what's the third circle? The third circle would be the rotation of the clubhead around the axis of the clubshaft. The devil maintains dominion of this circle. I hate this circle.