Critique my swing -- video inside

Like said in my other thread this was my first time out this year. Hit it pretty decent (solid and pretty accurate) but it just didn't feel right. I hope this short video can give you guys enough to critique my swing.

First off, I feel my club head is getting too far inside. As you'll see in the video my short practice back swing is me trying to work on keeping it on plane. Secondly, on my down swing I feel like I hunch over a lot which causes my head to bob up and down. When I was hitting it felt like I was picking the ball up on contract instead of swinging through the ball, which I think is because of my hunching.

Unfortunately, I have had back issues and surgery to straighten my back so at address that is as straight as my back gets.

I have came from a very inside/outside swing to what you see today. My natural ball flight is straight. Any other info you need about my swing just let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hKYrToN_44&feature=g-upl&context=G274d930AUAAAAAAAAAA

Thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, you have to learn to rotate. Not only the shoulders, the entire core. Everything together. Left upper arm connected to the chest and turn the hip and shoulder with passive arms thru the ball. Like Hunter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=3uAh87Aq2xA

[attachment=1064005:Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-10 um 22.48.56.png]

[color=#d3d3d3][size=1]One day, when I'm grown up, I will have my own club champion-scratch golfer-plastered with pics of my new car-thread. This would be awesome![/size][/color]

I don't mean to sound ignorant but aren't I doing that? I see what you mean from Hunter's video but watching my video I think I am...or at least it looks like it.

One thing that doesn't help my swing is after my back surgery I can't twist like I used to. I'm sure it will get better as I practice more and get back into golf shape.

Thanks for the help! Any other suggestions?

EDIT: NVM I understand what you're saying and can see I'm not doing that. I will work on that. That's part of my inside swing plane.

[quote name='tommykrebs' timestamp='1331416588' post='4478033']
Hi, you have to learn to rotate. Not only the shoulders, the entire core. Everything together. Left upper arm connected to the chest and turn the hip and shoulder with passive arms thru the ball. Like Hunter.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=3uAh87Aq2xA"]http://www.youtube.c...1&v=3uAh87Aq2xA[/url]

[attachment=1064005:Bildschirmfoto 2012-03-10 um 22.48.56.png]

[/quote]

You should finish with your body facing slightly left to your target, It kind of seems like it's faked at the end after your swing, you move slightly more left. I could be wrong

a lot of people may not, but I like your rounded back, reminds me of nicklaus

Name that driving range......Holmes Lake! Never thought I would miss Lincoln.

I agree with Thrill on the lateral shift.

I'm not sure if you've looked into Stack and Tilt at all, but one of the keys there is to straighten the right leg on the back swing. This is debated by a lot of traditional swing guys who think the right knee needs to stay bent and flexible. What it does though is allow you to rotate the hips a bit more, which in turn allows you to get the shoulders rotated to 90* without really doing that (rotate hips 45* + rotate shoulders 45* = 90*).

There are a lot of things that are similar between S&T and what Foley is teaching guys like Tiger, Hunter, and Justin Rose. One of the things that the Foley swing is supposed to do is take pressure off the back during the golf swing (though he maintains that keeping a flexed right knee is needed to do so). It might be worth looking into both of those if indeed you aren't getting the rotation in the upper body even if you feel like you are. Both methods also focus on keeping the head more on top of the ball with minimum weight shift to the right side during the swing, so that might help with lateral shift if indeed that is happening.

I'm working on swing changes that involve both methods. Ball striking is better for me, and since I started looking at some of Foley's ideas my power has been a little better when adding it to some of the S&T methods.

Just my two cents.

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1331435424' post='4479895']
Do you have any face on video? It looks like you have a lot of lateral shift to the right in the backswing which I don't love, I would rather see someone turn around their spine rather than slide.
[/quote]

I do not have face video but I do agree that it looks like I have a lot of lateral movement. I'm going back to the range this week so I will try and get different angles.

[quote name='russc' timestamp='1331440422' post='4480329']
Way inside going back with considerable lateral movement along with straightening of the right leg.

Hit balls with your feet very close together.
[/quote]

Wow I didn't even realize I was straightening my right leg like that. I do warm up movements that help with getting my right leg loaded up so I'm kinda surprised I wasn't noticing that.

Ungifted Golfer -- that is of course Holmes driving range lol

I will have to check out those 2 methods you've mentioned. I do think that from the video I have a lot of lateral movement which I will need to address.

Like many have said, you are still taking it too far to the inside. If you try to take the club more "straight" back and up (will feel like you are going to hit a bad slice) and take it more "up right" you will be able to make a more full shoulder turn along with getting the club farther from your body, which creates width and the thing that we all want MORE DISTANCE. Here is a screen cap. I took, if you can take it back more up right you will have more room to get the club higher and away from your body. Right now, you have a very flat swing and I would guess your miss is a pull hook. Your transition and recovery isn't bad, you are coming from the inside to the ball which you want, but just not as deep from the inside (hope this makes sense).

[attachment=1066263:Picture 20.png]

So instead of rolling your wrist with your right palm to the sky try keeping it more vertical with your thumbs pointing up.

Take a look here for an example to compare.

[attachment=1066283:inil01_breaking90.jpg]

Yup, that makes sense ^^^ EDIT: After watching my videos and realizing more of what you're saying I realize my shoulder turn can get better and really hasn't improved since last video. I have a few things I'd like to try to help get a more upright swing.

I went out and hit again today. I didn't have anyone to record so I had to prop my phone on the ground which didn't result in the best angle videos.

Things I tried to focus on:
1. Keep my right leg flexed instead of straightening
2. Getting good shoulder rotation
3. Try to get the club on plane

I think I was able to keep my right leg flexed throughout the backswing. I'm not sure how great my shoulder turn was and it result of trying not to go to far inside I feel like my first movement was outside then back inside. Since I don't have a great camera to record with I wasn't able to record and adjust. I know the videos aren't great but I hope it will be enough for some more feedback. At times it felt I was doing things right. I was able to hit a few 3 irons very well. Sorry for the poor angle and lighting.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQrWLdfIwmg&context=C4224c0bADvjVQa1PpcFNv75wWlVxEruR8A2eaNzVXiLkGPU_3N90="]http://www.youtube.c...zVXiLkGPU_3N90=[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zzbPOIg-lw&context=C45572e7ADvjVQa1PpcFNv75wWlVxErvEYi_rj8Q8eHlP5T6aHwec="]http://www.youtube.c...Q8eHlP5T6aHwec=[/url]

[quote name='Tyler2106' timestamp='1331609270' post='4496145']
Yup, that makes sense ^^^ EDIT: After watching my videos and realizing more of what you're saying I realize my shoulder turn can get better and really hasn't improved since last video. I have a few things I'd like to try to help get a more upright swing.

I went out and hit again today. I didn't have anyone to record so I had to prop my phone on the ground which didn't result in the best angle videos.

Things I tried to focus on:
1. Keep my right leg flexed instead of straightening
2. Getting good shoulder rotation
3. Try to get the club on plane

I think I was able to keep my right leg flexed throughout the backswing. I'm not sure how great my shoulder turn was and it result of trying not to go to far inside I feel like my first movement was outside then back inside. Since I don't have a great camera to record with I wasn't able to record and adjust. I know the videos aren't great but I hope it will be enough for some more feedback. At times it felt I was doing things right. I was able to hit a few 3 irons very well. Sorry for the poor angle and lighting.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQrWLdfIwmg&context=C4224c0bADvjVQa1PpcFNv75wWlVxEruR8A2eaNzVXiLkGPU_3N90="]http://www.youtube.c...zVXiLkGPU_3N90=[/url]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zzbPOIg-lw&context=C45572e7ADvjVQa1PpcFNv75wWlVxErvEYi_rj8Q8eHlP5T6aHwec="]http://www.youtube.c...Q8eHlP5T6aHwec=[/url]
[/quote]

Your last two swings were much better, I will post a screen cap, but I would say you could afford to still bring the club more "up" than around, but progress is progress! Also, with the right leg flex, I would recommend that you set up with more knee flex and just rotate back and forth feeling the weight move "forward" as you rotate back. You can achieve this by almost pointing your right knee somewhat more forward or at your left leg. Almost like the weight of your right side is is very much on the inside of your right foot. If you slowly swing until you get to the impact position you will feel the "right knee forward" feel that we are looking for. Johnny Miller would set up in his impact position at first, it felt weird, but I started hitting balls like that and it was amazing how much of a difference it made. It will definitely help with the knee flex that you need to maintain in your right leg.

[attachment=1068309:Picture 17.png]

Your swing right now, very much has the right arm tucked against the body, and don't get me wrong that is an early or beginners technique that a lot of people teach and several pros have a very similar move at the top. I am a shorter guy myself and try to get width and my hands away from my head at the top. If you watch any of the guys that hit it "long" they all have a very wide "high" swing, some will say this promotes a flying right elbow, but I don't think that is as big of a deal as in the past (ala Jack Nicklaus).

Well I'm not trying to keep my right arm tucked...just a habit I guess.

I understand what you're saying 100%. Next time I go out I will try and work on what you're saying. I will have to reread what you're saying about my right leg as I'm a little sleepy right now ;)

Thanks again guys. Keep the advice/suggestions coming. I'm hoping to get out again Wednesday. Hopefully with better videos.

Right leg looks better and I think that is keeping the upper body from swaying so much (kind of hard to tell with the camera angle, but it seemed like there was less). There were a few really good swings where it looked like there was great balance throughout the whole swing and into the follow through.

In regards to the right elbow and the arms, I've had problems in the past with having the hands too "short" or too close to the head at the top. My left arm flexed a little bit too much at times and that caused some breakdown with the swing and a loss of power. The last few times at the range this year I've really been focusing on feeling like my left arm was staying long (extended, straight) on the backswing and that my hands were pulling away from my head/body, and in doing so pulling my left shoulder around , if that makes any sense (it does in my head but not sure if it does coming out of my brain).

Something else you might want to focus on to work on swing plane (maybe after you are comfortable with changes you are making with the lower body) is to focus on the shoulders. I work on making a shoulder turn where I feel like my left shoulder is pointing toward the ball, instead of being flat. That should bring the club back more upright and eliminate some of the "around" motion.

Thanks again for the video of Holmes National. I'll probably keep checking this thread just to get my Nebraska fix.

A tip for taking videos with your phone: Set your bag up behind you and prop the phone up in the slots where the clubs go. If you have a 14 slot bag you can wedge the phone in one of the slots. If you have a 4-5 section bag you can stuff your club cleaning towel inside one of the large slots and then prop the phone up in the towel.

[quote name='UngiftedGolfer' timestamp='1331613080' post='4496641']
Something else you might want to focus on to work on swing plane (maybe after you are comfortable with changes you are making with the lower body) is to focus on the shoulders. I work on making a shoulder turn where I feel like my left shoulder is pointing toward the ball, instead of being flat. That should bring the club back more upright and eliminate some of the "around" motion.

Thanks again for the video of Holmes National. I'll probably keep checking this thread just to get my Nebraska fix.
[/quote]

That's exactly what I was going to plan on doing. I was going to focus on take my left shoulder and pointing it towards the ball. I think that will help a lot with keeping the swing more upright and get a good shoulder turn.

Any other courses you'd like video from? I can make it happen lol

Got out again today. Lots of good things happening. I still have a lot to work on but from watching the video in my OP and seeing the swings I making now are positive. I was able to my 3 iron the best I have in a long time.

I feel I was able to get my club more on plane. I still have to work on not tucking my right arm. I felt like when I kept my right arm straighter and farther from my body and worked on taking my shoulder to the ball I was able to hit the ball pretty good.

First video is of my 7 iron. Last one is my 3 iron. My 3 iron swings the 2nd and 4th I think the ball solid. Other 2 not so much. Any critique is very welcome.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvmHW4d-gcQ&context=C4bd4386ADvjVQa1PpcFNv75wWlVxEroCZZP1u-SOzKDkQA1ab0NI="]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvmHW4d-gcQ&context=C4bd4386ADvjVQa1PpcFNv75wWlVxEroCZZP1u-SOzKDkQA1ab0NI=[/url]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYMepIj2dus&context=C4224c0bADvjVQa1PpcFNv75wWlVxEruR8A2eaNzVXiLkGPU_3N90=[/media]
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9_o_mVVxnI&context=C45572e7ADvjVQa1PpcFNv75wWlVxErvEYi_rj8Q8eHlP5T6aHwec=[/media]

I pretty much lived at Mahoney the last few years I lived in Lincoln. Loved to hit drives over the fence and onto the tee box on #5 (and then hit balls back over the fence into the range when waiting on #5). Also my favorite practice green to work on in Lincoln.

On to the swing! It does look like you are making progress, and that's always good. I can't tell for sure from the camera angle, but does it feel like you are hanging back on the right side through the finish sometimes? It just seemed to me that on some of the good swings it looks like you are finishing in balance over the left leg and on some of the shots that aren't coming off well you might be hanging back a little.

It seems like some of the other things you are working on are falling into place. I think the right arm will get sorted out over time as you get more swings in. I'd keep working on the shoulder turning down to start with. Once you are really comfortable with that then you can work on creating width in the swing, knowing that you have a solid shoulder turn already in place. Keep up the good work!

[quote name='UngiftedGolfer' timestamp='1331703482' post='4504513']
I pretty much lived at Mahoney the last few years I lived in Lincoln. Loved to hit drives over the fence and onto the tee box on #5 (and then hit balls back over the fence into the range when waiting on #5). Also my favorite practice green to work on in Lincoln.

On to the swing! It does look like you are making progress, and that's always good. I can't tell for sure from the camera angle, but does it feel like you are hanging back on the right side through the finish sometimes? It just seemed to me that on some of the good swings it looks like you are finishing in balance over the left leg and on some of the shots that aren't coming off well you might be hanging back a little.

It seems like some of the other things you are working on are falling into place. I think the right arm will get sorted out over time as you get more swings in. I'd keep working on the shoulder turning down to start with. Once you are really comfortable with that then you can work on creating width in the swing, knowing that you have a solid shoulder turn already in place. Keep up the good work!

[/quote]

Sadly, Mahoney has let their driving range mats go. They're torn up and it's like hitting off hard dirt. Kinda sucks

Do you have examples of which swings you feel I'm hanging back a little? Is that something I just have to work on opening up my hips through the shot or is my hanging back caused by something else?

Also, do you think my shoulder turn is better? Or do you think I still need to work on it? How about my swing plane? Is it good or does it need to get more upright yet?

I do think the shoulder turn is better. I stopped the first video (of the two newest at Mahoney) at 24 seconds and at 49 seconds, which was pretty much right at the top of the backswing. To me it looks right there that the shoulder turn is good and the club is in a pretty good place at the top. Maybe others can look at it and see if they agree.

I think that the first and third swings with the 3 iron looked like you were a little off balance through the swing and into the finish. Obviously those were the two swings out of the most recent six that were not so good, and I think you could feel that through the shot as evidenced by letting go of the club with one hand in the first swing.

I try to feel like almost all of my weight is on the left side when I'm holding my follow through. If I can stand on just that leg and have the right foot up on the toes with no weight on it then I feel like I've transfered my weight well and I'm not leaving any power behind. That's one of the swing thoughts I've taken from S&T, to keep a little more weight on my left side throughout the swing instead of shifting a lot to the right side. It could be that if there is still some lateral movement in your backswing, weight shifting from the left to the right, that you might get "stuck" there a little and that would cause you to hang back a bit. It seemed like the two bad swings with the 3 iron might have had a little of that, but I think the 7 iron swings looked more balanced throughout. The 3 iron is a lot harder club to hit for most people anyway, so I am not surprised that the swings with it aren't as consistent.

Hopefully some others will chime in on what they think, but to me it looks like you are making some progress.

Here are new videos. One question I have is at the top of my back swing it doesn't look like I have any wrist hinge (I think that's what it's called). My club isn't pointing toward the target at the top, is that bad?

One thing I did that I found very helpful for weight transfer is starting out with about 55% of my weight on my left side. I think it helped a lot and I didn't have to think about working on that. Most all my shots I ended up on my left side, unlike before.

Also, any other suggestions/tips/advice is greatly appreciated.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMlLyt_qV4s&context=C4bd4386ADvjVQa1PpcFNv75wWlVxEroCZZP1u-SOzKDkQA1ab0NI=[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALSxzAmvg64&context=C4224c0bADvjVQa1PpcFNv75wWlVxEruR8A2eaNzVXiLkGPU_3N90=[/media]

You are taking the club a little too far outside on the backswing and then laying it off at the top. I would prefer to see the clubhead traveling back on the line of the shaft at setup and then moving up to the top (an inside then up move with the club on the backswing). Your move is outside and then inside and a lay off at the top. in the process of your current backswing you have too much rotation of your left forearm and this makes it hard to square up the face.

Other than that you do a lot of things nicely, kudos!

[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1331871819' post='4517711']
You are taking the club a little too far outside on the backswing and then laying it off at the top. I would prefer to see the clubhead traveling back on the line of the shaft at setup and then moving up to the top (an inside then up move with the club on the backswing). Your move is outside and then inside and a lay off at the top. in the process of your current backswing you have too much rotation of your left forearm and this makes it hard to square up the face.

[/quote]

I notice now that I am taking the club too far outside. In my very first video is this thread I'm bringing it inside too much, now it's too far outside lol

I will have to try and figure out what I need to do to get the club more on plane. It's late and I'm drawing a blank on how I can work on getting the club head in the right position.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "laying off at the top." Can you explain what that means?

[quote name='Tyler2106' timestamp='1331872746' post='4517813']
[quote name='Thrillhouse' timestamp='1331871819' post='4517711']

[/quote]

I notice now that I am taking the club too far outside. In my very first video is this thread I'm bringing it inside too much, now it's too far outside lol

I will have to try and figure out what I need to do to get the club more on plane. It's late and I'm drawing a blank on how I can work on getting the club head in the right position.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "laying off at the top." Can you explain what that means?
[/quote]

Here ya go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4i7hGcJ234

Well just got back from a TERRIBLE time at the range. I don't remember ever hitting it so badly. I was shanking it and hitting it fat 90% of the time. I think at one time I hit 4 shanks in a row. I don't get how I can hit so well 2 days ago and then hit so poorly today.

I'd appreciate so feedback as to why I was hitting so badly. When I was hitting my S wedge I was hitting the balls high and towards the heel. Kinda clueless as to what I was doing wrong.

I'm working on not "laying off" so if you could let me know if I was still doing that that'd be appreciated.

As you'll hear it was EXTREMELY windy. I was lucky to record any videos today. Super windy, hitting it poorly and not being able to record many shots made for a bad time.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9dOq9L2V1Q&feature=plcp&context=C4d1fab6VDvjVQa1PpcFNv75wWlVxEruR8A2eaNzVXiLkGPU_3N90%3D[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjjUyaEtAO0&context=C45572e7ADvjVQa1PpcFNv75wWlVxErvEYi_rj8Q8eHlP5T6aHwec=[/media]

Here's a few with my driver. Still trying to work on not laying off the shot.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1BF6eTU8Xs&feature=plcp&context=C4d1fab6VDvjVQa1PpcFNv75wWlVxEruR8A2eaNzVXiLkGPU_3N90%3D[/media]

Notice on my first swing here. I tried to see if "hinging" my wrist up top would make my club point down the target line -- which I think it did. Am I really laying off the shot or am I just not getting wrist hinge up top?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwJLr_XUlDI&context=C45572e7ADvjVQa1PpcFNv75wWlVxErvEYi_rj8Q8eHlP5T6aHwec=[/media]