Are my numbers off?

Guys, would like some input. I am a fairly easy swinger with a smooth trans and loader of the shaft. I can strike fairly well [subjective] with my irons, however my driver #'s just don't add up.

My 6 iron is typically 178 avg with a 78mph ss 110 ball speed 3800 rpms of spin [not my ball] with a -3.0 AOA and an average vertical launch angle of 17.6.

Now my driver is stats just die with an average carry of 211 to 220 yrds. 94 mph SS, 140 ball speed, avg of 2500 to 2700 rpm spin. Does this add up? I ask because I can flat out nuke a 8 iron for me mind you 155yrds but fall short on my drives. HELP

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I see you haven't had any responders, so I'm adding my less than two cents worth. To answer your question, yes that does sound rather short on carry as compared to your iron distances (I would think more in the 250 yd. carry range). I'm an old bird and not up on the technical side (launch monitors & their numbers), I rely on old school methods and probably suck because of it. The best friendly advice I can give you is to post this question in the Instructional Academy area as opposed to this Hogan Heroes thread because there are many on there that live, eat and breathe the launch monitor game. I noticed your post had no reference to Hogan in it. Sorry if this comes across as a wise guy, not meant to be.

Good Luck in your endeavors,
The Grieving One

P.S. I did a little search in your behalf - I found where someone had posted 2.5 times ss equals distance. If true, that puts you at 2.5 times 94 which is 235 yds. I'm not sure if that is total or carry. If it is total, you're about right with your numbers. Still seems a little lacking compared to your irons to me, then again, the irons seem a long for your ss.

Hey, I see you haven't had any responders, so I'm adding my less than two cents worth. To answer your question, yes that does sound rather short on carry as compared to your iron distances (I would think more in the 250 yd. carry range). I'm an old bird and not up on the technical side (launch monitors & their numbers), I rely on old school methods and probably suck because of it. The best friendly advice I can give you is to post this question in the Instructional Academy area as opposed to this Hogan Heroes thread because there are many on there that live, eat and breathe the launch monitor game. I noticed your post had no reference to Hogan in it. Sorry if this comes across as a wise guy, not meant to be.

Good Luck in your endeavors,

The Grieving One

P.S. I did a little search in your behalf - I found where someone had posted 2.5 times ss equals distance. If true, that puts you at 2.5 times 94 which is 235 yds. I'm not sure if that is total or carry. If it is total, you're about right with your numbers. Still seems a little lacking compared to your irons to me, then again, the irons seem a long for your ss.

My 6i numbers are 92 - 101, 150 m carry, 7200 rpm and driver about 110 mph, SF around 1.40, don't remember the carry nor the rpm exactly, maybe around 3000 rpm, but while playing it goes around 270 - 290 m.

Ball flight laws..

CarryDistance.jpg

It might be, that your angle of attack with driver is on the positive, which naturally decrease the carry.

MY average AOA is around 2.7 average & average vertical launch is around 14. I play and live in Ohio and Game a SuperTri 8.5 with a Fubuki Alpha 50 stiff. Yes I do understand I have no business playing a 8.5 head, but the 9.5 just ballooned on me all day long. I will mention my average smash factor was at 1.49 over the course of 18 shots. But I would just like a little more carry than the average 211

• 2 weeks later...

My suspect is, your Driver's MOI-swing weight is too high (too heavy head and shaft and too long compared to your irons). That makes the clubface close late, which will require you to make adjustments (consciously or subconsciously), which in turn causes a power drain.

Just my 2 cents. Experienced this exactly.

[quote name='Petter Player' timestamp='1336338321' post='4860326']
[quote name='fuab' timestamp='1336303227' post='4857930']
110 ballspeed seems way off to me. My 9 iron ballspeed is around 112 and my 6 iron is around 126 and my carry is 177
[/quote]

If you refer to my 110 mph, it was the driver head speed. :) And carry, while playing around 275 yards.
[/quote]

thats super fantastic man really it is but, I wasn't talking or replying to you I was replying to the OP where he said 110 mph ballspeed. :clapping:

I'm telling you, the overall MOI of your club relative to your irons are a LOT higher...so, your clubface is closing slower, it doesn't want to close...so your face is more open at impact...hence the more spin...and you're doing something to close it square enough for impact...so you're making compensations to do that (like your steepening, you lose the wristcock earlier, you fire the R arm/hand, you stall the pivot, etc.)...hence you lose power...

Or it can be the opposite...your Driver is too light, hence the MOI is too low...

To be of the same MOI and therefore rate of face closure as your favorite iron...you must adjust your Driver's swing weight (SW)...for every inch the driver shaft is longer, the less the SW of the driver must be by 0.65...for every 20 grams of decrease in shaft weight, the more the SW of the driver must be by 1.0. And then, the weight of the driver head must be more than the weight of your favorite iron's head by 4 grams for every inch of increase in shaft length...

Now you know why you have to widen your stance in a Driver...so that the face will be closed by the time it hits the ball...so in a driver, you'll be able to swing exactly the same and hit the ball decently with the same swing mechanics and speed only if you have a very straight and loooong baseline...

IMO,
You are flipping at the ball. I am willing to bet you are flipping your right palm forward before impact. I don't mean rotating shut, your right palm is facing more skyward. You need to work on compressing the ball. Once you can do that consistently then go from there. Start by teeing the ball lower, if you are scooping at it you will hit everything thin.

Hope that helps. PK.

You're hitting a "flyer" with the 6i based on your numbers. Normal 6i with your swing speed is probably 5500 rpm or more. I'm usually around 6300 rpm with around 125 mph ball speed and my carry distance is the same that you're showing. I'm assuming those were struck from grass and you either had very dirty grooves or were hitting from a fluffy lie and and getting grass between the ball and clubface, same when you nuke those 8 irons. I can hit an 8i with dirty grooves as far as a 6i with clean grooves.