2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Green reading Woes

Looking for tips on green reading. This is absolutely killing me this season (as well as some yips from in close). My SG putting started great on the year and has really struggled to gain any traction. I am 95% certain most of this is green reading as for the most part my lag putting can get me in some good spots. I have tried aimpoint express and recently Monte's Voodoo green reading and still have about 2-3 misreads per 9, which is awful. Most are under reads although their were 2 today with the voodoo method that were way off. I know that I should play more break than I see, and maybe I will try a mix of aimpoint for break and voodoo for distance and see if they mesh. Any other tips folks have found or is it just grind it out until you find something that works? My start lines are fine and I have confirmed with the teardrop string that I can hit my start lines well. Looking at the stats below the main area of improvement would be from 10' and in, so I guess that is where to start?

image.png.2daa735ed277f9bb2b1122c3c051137b.png

image.png.99498a13903a35590d268fc10e7cfc0e.png

image.png.ffd96e6030d0cf198edf788b50198e2e.png

image.png.64945b031cfb723c6c08399f6a53e373.png

image.png.ff99ca0426aca7b7b1dc3c169f2c8767.png

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 44.5" (Ventus black as backup)

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rbsiedsc said:

Most are under reads

If totally unfamiliar with the world around you, proper green reading takes understanding and patience.  I start that process during the first step on the fairway, then as I walk up to the green.  The first sign is the turf, time of day, where the sun is and where the green drains, low and high spots, undulations, grain, nearby water, hills, etc., etc.

Reading greens, in ways, uses geometry or angles in billiards.  Being a skilled shooter was about reading the subtle influences and conditions.  So, when I took up golf, assessing my surroundings came natural.  I used to travel by myself 10-20 clicks under the jungle canopy to the extraction point.  To stay alive, understanding the surrounding topography was imperative.  Seeing nature or your surroundings for what it is helps me adapt to my surroundings.

The other day, I was playing with my wife (14 handi) and two (mid-high cap) friends.  We walked on the third green, and one of them said, they haven't a clue about how to read these greens.  So, farmer boy (me) starts detailing my process as I stepped on the green.  When I finished, two of them looked perplexed and said, you're kidding... You do that every time?  Yep.  One said I won't remember all that, then my wife said it too.  There you have it...the biggest reason people are poor putters.

PS, starting back in Peltz's day, I have never been convinced any of the detailed putting methodologies out there do much more than offer an introduction to rudimentary techniques, stand over the line...and feel the tilt.  LOL Surprising how many people use one or the other, yet putting doesn't improve all that much.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I read the whole green as I am walking up - edge to edge, front to back.  I start to build the red, blue and arrows in my head.  Then, I read the tier that my ball is on.  Then, I read the putt.  If I cannot decide how the putt breaks, then I go up a level to my tier read.  If that is inconclusive, then I go to the whole green read.

Sometime, you are just not sure, so get the speed right, 2 putt and make the next one.

• Like 1

To expand more, the goal for me is to understand the green and where I am on it.  It is like building the grid that you see in Golden Tee, or the like, in my mind.  I do not want or need any putting line on my ball - I need to be able to understand where my ball is, where the hole is and "see" in my mind how I need to hit it.  Spacial awareness to the max, I guess.  Some of my friends get this and do similar things and some think that I am mental.  Sometimes if feels more right to open my stance if the break is greater - probably to see the whole picture better.

Sometimes this takes a while to get right on a new course.  We played Black Desert in St George a few weeks back and with the mountains all around, I was confused and lost for about 15 holes.  The mountains in the background were messing with my slope and up/down.  I eventually figured it out (I think) and I would be better next time.  This is why I spent more time on greens in practice rounds if given the chance.  The practice green was nothing like the course.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My green reading is so bad (I just don't see slopes - like being color blind to slopes) that I have seriously wondered if my poor putting stroke might actually improve my putting. If my stroke were perfect, given how badly I read greens, I would never make a putt more than 3' long. I guess that this is kind of like dithering (literally adding random noise) to a signal to improve it when downsampling (in the digital audio world). 

dave

Edited by DaveLeeNC
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

I have never been more tempted to get a putting mat now. Only thing I worry is it’s great for knowing the slope with the app but doesn’t teach you how to feel it with your feet. 

https://puttout.golf/products/airbreak

Edited by Rbsiedsc

I can also suggest getting a Strackaline book for your home course.  Even if you don't want to use it during the round, using it during practice can definitely help you to better understand what your eyes are seeing and the actual physical contours of the green.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Srixon ZX Utility 3i 20*, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

7 minutes ago, SheriffBooth said:

I can also suggest getting a Strackaline book for your home course.  Even if you don't want to use it during the round, using it during practice can definitely help you to better understand what your eyes are seeing and the actual physical contours of the green.

I am going to get one once my home course is done doing updates. I actually have one for a course I am playing a tournament in a couple weeks at. Looking forward to a little help

One thing to really learn, even if you use Aimpoint Express is to find the fall lines of the putt. Its pretty simple most of the time. You simply go below the hole and pace around until you find the spot where you see the most of the back of the cup.  When you see that you have the fall line.   On the fall line,  draw your clock with the highest point on the fall line being 12 and the bottom being 6.  The 12-6 line is your straight putt.  Where your ball is in relation to the clock will determine generally how much break. Closer to 3 or 9 the more the break  From above the 3-9 line will break more than those below.  If you have more complex greens you just have to have more imagination when theres multiple slopes involved. 

• Thanks 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Our greens have very subtle breaks. Very easy to mis-read.

The biggest thing we do is examine the edge of the hole.  Look at the grass for the direction of the grain.  95% of the time this tells you the direction of the break on our greens.  Lots of time we shake our heads but it won't lie.  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

One thing to really learn, even if you use Aimpoint Express is to find the fall lines of the putt. Its pretty simple most of the time. You simply go below the hole and pace around until you find the spot where you see the most of the back of the cup.  When you see that you have the fall line.   On the fall line,  draw your clock with the highest point on the fall line being 12 and the bottom being 6.  The 12-6 line is your straight putt.  Where your ball is in relation to the clock will determine generally how much break. Closer to 3 or 9 the more the break  From above the 3-9 line will break more than those below.  If you have more complex greens you just have to have more imagination when theres multiple slopes involved. 

I have actually never heard of this methodology. It sounds genius! will definitely have to try this my next time out.

• Practice holing straight putts. You want to confirm that you can set up to a putt correctly and accurately roll it toward your target. If you can't do that it's worth a lesson to get sorted. If you CAN do that it still pays off to do it regularly because it programs your subconscious mind to trust your stroke. Practice making three-footers too so you aren't scared of them when they matter. 

• Out on the course, you have to learn to trust your innate subconscious ability to observe and sense putting conditions and make reasonable adjustments based on what you see. We are descendants of the cavemen who could hunt. The ones who couldn't didn't survive. We can all throw a spear or a rock or a paper wad or a baseball as long as we don't think too much about how to do it. We can all putt too, with the same caveat. Overthinking/overcontrolling/being technical are 100% counter-productive to the task. 

• The partner of trusting your subconscious is learning to tamp down your conscious thoughts. These are almost too many to list, but we have to learn how NOT to think about possible outcomes, where we stand in a match, the length of our backstroke, who might be watching, what we did on the prior hole, whether a new putter would be easier to use, the ex-wife's birthday, the weather, etc. No one has ever putted better while distracted. Quiet your mind and let your lizard brain move the ball toward your target. 
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

if you are 54% long and I'm guessing 46% short you have speed issues as much as read issues. Maybe more of a problem because line is a function of speed, you can see it the other way but speed control is more reliable and easier to get handle on than read control. The 3'-6' stat is not very good but easy to improve. On break, teach your feet to feel slope, really not very hard to do, does take some practice at first but it can validate instincts and confirm or alter direction.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

if you are 54% long and I'm guessing 46% short you have speed issues as much as read issues. Maybe more of a problem because line is a function of speed, you can see it the other way but speed control is more reliable and easier to get handle on than read control. The 3'-6' stat is not very good but easy to improve. On break, teach your feet to feel slope, really not very hard to do, does take some practice at first but it can validate instincts and confirm or alter direction.

I somewhat agree. Looking at both short and long % within 3’ is 68%. Again I’d like to be better but it isn’t like <50% of my putts are not finishing within three feet. 

6 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

I somewhat agree. Looking at both short and long % within 3’ is 68%. Again I’d like to be better but it isn’t like <50% of my putts are not finishing within three feet. 

68% is a better stat if 100% of misses are too long or too short. 50/50 on that is no bueno. 3 footers should be near automatic like 90%, make and most part back of the cup with exception of severe down hill breaks. But if you cannot go back of cup on flat lie, you cannot die from high. because speed control is canary of stroke, bad stroke, bad speed control. That's fixable in a way read is not. I can see lines beautifully one round and be elmer j Fudd on the next. But if speed is there, no three putts. There's more variables in read part than in speed part. The turf, your eyes, your posture, moisture & wind. Never mind the break. Speed is stroke control, take care of that, reads get easier and makes go up.

On 5/7/2024 at 10:29 PM, DaveLeeNC said:

My green reading is so bad (I just don't see slopes - like being color blind to slopes) that I have seriously wondered if my poor putting stroke might actually improve my putting. If my stroke were perfect, given how badly I read greens, I would never make a putt more than 3' long. I guess that this is kind of like dithering (literally adding random noise) to a signal to improve it when downsampling (in the digital audio world). 

dave

Three things make up a holed putt - start line, speed and green reading. If you do two of those perfectly and one poorly, you'll never hole anything. If you do one of them perfectly and two of them poorly, sometimes you're going to hole them, so you're quite possibly right. 

Incidentally - with respect to aimpoint, I got myself a whygolf putting mirror thing and I got the bundle, so it came with a slope platform thing. It's a variable sloping thing you stand on and it tells you what % slope you're on. I've found it really helpful for my aimpoint reads.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

31 minutes ago, ShortGolfer said:

Have you had a recent eye exam to make sure nothing is amiss with your vision?

I just had one and  my vision requires less correction than last time I had an exam!

Yes and it’s spot on still

17 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

68% is a better stat if 100% of misses are too long or too short. 50/50 on that is no bueno. 3 footers should be near automatic like 90%, make and most part back of the cup with exception of severe down hill breaks. But if you cannot go back of cup on flat lie, you cannot die from high. because speed control is canary of stroke, bad stroke, bad speed control. That's fixable in a way read is not. I can see lines beautifully one round and be elmer j Fudd on the next. But if speed is there, no three putts. There's more variables in read part than in speed part. The turf, your eyes, your posture, moisture & wind. Never mind the break. Speed is stroke control, take care of that, reads get easier and makes go up.

But isn’t that part of a normal distribution as Fawcett would say. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

Three things make up a holed putt - start line, speed and green reading. If you do two of those perfectly and one poorly, you'll never hole anything. If you do one of them perfectly and two of them poorly, sometimes you're going to hole them, so you're quite possibly right. 

Incidentally - with respect to aimpoint, I got myself a whygolf putting mirror thing and I got the bundle, so it came with a slope platform thing. It's a variable sloping thing you stand on and it tells you what % slope you're on. I've found it really helpful for my aimpoint reads.

FWIW, I have always said that you need to make a even number of mistakes in a golf swing 😄

Thanks for the tip on the Whygolf Slope Plate. I can see that being very helpful to me. I was seriously considering building something similar (but cruder). I will probably order one of these devices.

dave

I just moved here to hilly North Georgia from flat Memphis, Tennessee. It's bad enough that I'm fixing to hit 70 and the eyes are starting to s*** but now the course I play the most is built on the side of a mountain. I say that gravity rule is bull****.

Back when I could really read greens I went with my first impression, the one behind the ball 95% of the time. If I read it from another angle and had question go back to your first impression. 

4 minutes ago, sheepdawg said:

I just moved here to hilly North Georgia from flat Memphis, Tennessee. It's bad enough that I'm fixing to hit 70 and the eyes are starting to s*** but now the course I play the most is built on the side of a mountain. I say that gravity rule is bull****.

Back when I could really read greens I went with my first impression, the one behind the ball 95% of the time. If I read it from another angle and had question go back to your first impression. 

It’s still gravity at work.  It’s just that the surroundings create illusions.  My course has some of that going on.

An Aimpoint read with your feet would give the real slope.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

9 minutes ago, sheepdawg said:

I say that gravity rule is bull****.

Live in Colorado now and while many people say that the ball always breaks away from the mountains, it is pure bunk.  Course designers have heard this too and make sure that not all of them do.

It took me a bit to be able to read the greens with the mountains in the background, but I figured it out in a month, or so.  If you are struggling with the mountains in the distance, pull the bill of your cap down to where you can only see the just a bit past the green.