2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Finally Did It: Got Fitted, Ordered Full Miura Set

After a 10 year hiatus from golf I jumped back in with some used X-18s back in '09, and it has been a procession of clubs ever since. I got some used MP-58s, then went to a used JPX-800 Pro, and finally decided to just go and get fitted and get a set that is made for my swing instead of trying to save money by cobbling stuff together. I am a high ball hitter and all these off the rack clubs had shafts meant to launch high, which, of course,compounds the problem.

I have a 6i swing speed of 90-94, steep and slightly over the top. I play to a 12 which has dropped from a season ending 8 last year due to a left rotator cuff tear in February that I just now am getting my strength back from. I am a pretty consistent ball striker, and usually give up strokes around and on the green vs. off the tee and from the fairway.

I went into the Golf Etc in Evansville, thinking I would either reshaft my 800 Pros or buy MP-59s. Fitter Nolan Ballard had already laid out some suggested equipment for me to try based on what I had told him over the phone.

I hit the MP-53s, 59s, 63s, 800 Pros, Scratch AR-1, Miura CB-501, MC-102, PP-9003, Razr X Forged. I absolutely fell in love with the MC-102 and PP-9003 club heads. Flightscope results across 3 rounds with each club on a DG S400 showed that these two heads "clicked" with me far and away better than anything else, with the 800 Pro/S400 being a distant 3rd. Not to mention the pured shot feel was incredible.

After seeing the results, feel, and the thin top line, any thought of keeping the 800 Pros went right out the window. I have just never felt the 800 Pros have the same Mizuno feel/sound their other forged clubs do. Oftentimes even well struck balls would give this nasty hollow thud sound that made me think I missed it, then I would look up and see I'd hit a really nice shot. Weird.

We worked through some heavier, stiffer shafts once I narrowed it down to the 102 and 9003s. Both club heads gave remarkably similar results across the board, with toe hits (my miss) being slightly more forgiving on the 9003, but with the occasional straight pull with the 9003 from the increased offset. Because they were so similar in performance, I eventually decided on the KBS C-Taper Stiff and MC-102 club head combo 4-PW that had my spin and trajectory perfect while still looking smaller and more traditional Miura.

Lo and behold they are discontinued and couldn't get a set so I ended up ordering the 9003s with no qualms as they performed just as well on the monitor and felt just as smooth. I also ordered a Y grind wedge in a 51 to be bent to 50, and a C grind in a 55 with DG Spinner shafts. All will have GP New Decade multi compound grips in black and white, with the black and white striped ferrule. These will replace my 52/56/60 trusty rusty Vokeys. I very rarely use my 60 because I hit a 56 like a 60 anyways so I have decided not to replace it.

I am really stoked about my first set of fully fitted, Miura clubs. I intend to come back and post a full review once I have them since reviews on these irons are pretty hard to come by.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post photos when they turn up!, Miura is the way to go. Will be ordering myself a set sometime soon!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

Congrats. I finally went from Titleist to Miura this season and couldn't be happier.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 60 X
Ping G430 Max 15* // Fujikura Speeder NX Green 70 X

Srixon ZX MKII 3H // Fujikura Speeder 904H S
Ping Blueprint S (4-W) // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Titleist SM9 50F, 56S, 60L // Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue
Byron Morgan DH89

Your gonna love em!

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

Congrats! They are great irons!

[size=2][b][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]WITB #1[/font][/b]
[b][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway XR Driver - 11*, Fubuki Z 50[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tour Edge CB Pro 4 Wood - Fujikura Rombax 6Z08[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tour Edge EX9 Tour - 20*, Recoil 780 ES[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno JPX EZ Forged - 4i - GW, Fujikura MCI 80 Stiff[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Fourteen RM21 Black - 54/10 - 58/8, Dynamic Gold[/font][/b]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][b]Bettinardi Signature Model 6[/b] [/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Putter Rotation: [b]Bettinardi [/b]Signature Model 6 / Model 7 / BB 360, [b]Miura [/b]KM-006 / KM-350, [b]TP Mills [/b]Nellie Wings / Fleetwood, [b]Byron Morgan[/b] Dalehead 89 / 007 (Copper, sound slot) / Channel Island Plumber / Channel Island Rincon, [b]Odyssey [/b]Prototype 2 Ball Black / Odyssey Black Series Tour Design 2 Ball Blade[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]WITB #2[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway XR Driver - 11*, Fubuki ZT 60[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Tour Edge CB Pro 4 Wood - Fujikura Rombax 6Z08[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura Hybrids - HB3 / HB4, Aerotech Steelfiber[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura MC102 - 4i - GW, Nippon NS Pro[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura Black Wedges, 55/9 - 60/7, Nippon NS Pro WV[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Miura KM-006[/font][/size]

I have been playing for almost 3 years now. I have been going crazy trying to break 90 and was talking to one of the guys at the range about it. He asked me if the fitter at the range had made my KZG forged CB's and I said no. He then walked me into the office and introduced me to the fitter. He said I he had been playing for some years and didn't know why he had waited so long to get fitted. Then he went on to tell me after he got fitted the difference in feel and control was amazing. So for your first fitted set how big of a difference was it for in terms of feel and your overall game?

Congrats, welcome to the Miura club!

Driver: Cobra F9 8* KBS TD 70 Cat 4

Fairway: TM M6 18* KBS TD 80 Cat 4

Hybrid: Nike VR Pro 24* KBS 105S Proto

Irons: Wilson Blades 5-PW KBS Tour 120

Wedges: Wilson ZM 52* 56* Hi Toe 60*

Putter: Ping PLD Anser Matte Black 

Golf Ball: Maxfli Tour X or Wilson Staff 

Well I picked them up tonight and took them to the range to get a feel for them.

First off, the c-taper satin finish paired with the Miura heads is absolutely gorgeous. Pics to come.

Second off, man was it a challenge to go from hitting a JPX 800 Pro with a Dynalite XP shaft in it to a S flex C taper in a much smaller Miura head!!! I had a heck of a time at first getting the long irons in the air because I'm so accustomed to waiting on the head to catch up that I wasn't making decent contact at all. I had to walk away and come back and really focus and then I really started to hit them well.

But first impressions are great and after some panic moments I starting hitting my shots on the trajectory I've been craving. Clubs feel amazing and I'm excited to try them with good balls on a real course this weekend.

PS the wedges are just insane. The Y and C grind both blow my Vokeys out of the water in as far as ease of use. The toe and heel relief and leading edge combine to make a wedge it is almost impossible to mess up around the green with.

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1342760577' post='5313742']
Well I picked them up tonight and took them to the range to get a feel for them.

First off, the c-taper satin finish paired with the Miura heads is absolutely gorgeous. Pics to come.

Second off, man was it a challenge to go from hitting a JPX 800 Pro with a Dynalite XP shaft in it to a S flex C taper in a much smaller Miura head!!! I had a heck of a time at first getting the long irons in the air because I'm so accustomed to waiting on the head to catch up that I wasn't making decent contact at all. I had to walk away and come back and really focus and then I really started to hit them well.

But first impressions are great and after some panic moments I starting hitting my shots on the trajectory I've been craving. Clubs feel amazing and I'm excited to try them with good balls on a real course this weekend.

PS the wedges are just insane. The Y and C grind both blow my Vokeys out of the water in as far as ease of use. The toe and heel relief and leading edge combine to make a wedge it is almost impossible to mess up around the green with.
[/quote]

Congrats, I'v 2 sets of Miura, BB blade and 301 they both are great irons.

[quote name='Tarkata' timestamp='1342848570' post='5320392']
Talk about them in a year.....right now you're barely lucid..:)
[/quote]

Well I'm plenty lucid enough. Trying to be objective. Long irons are going to take some getting used to but the 7-8 are really clicking for me so far. Used a ProV1x today for a 9 on a pretty average course and got along really well.

Play in league tomorrow night and need to get out and play a 9 on the home course before we get into the money!