NZ Golf

clubgolfer

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going in mid September so thinking the weather may be a bit ordinary, my mate played Kidnappers a few months ago and he told me it was blowing that hard he couldnt play the course as he could not hit across some of the ravines. game, hire clubs and cart cost him about $500. still worth the expense to play it at least once I think

[quote name='360_CS' timestamp='1345888562' post='5531779']
Make sure you play Wairakei, played there once and it's an amazing course.

Yea spring can get pretty windy here.
[/quote]

360..thanks mate, as Im staying at Kidnappers for a night Im going to try and get in two rounds that day. Kauri Cliffs clubhouse looks amazing and also heard great things about the Nicklaus course Kinloch. A Scottish looking course apparently. Is the course you recommend near to any of the three courses I am playing ?

Yea Wairakei is just out of Taupo, like Kinloch. I haven't played Kinloch myself but I hear it is one of the toughest courses in NZ

Here's a map.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?hl=en&sugexp=cqrwrth&cp=11&gs_id=79&xhr=t&q=kinloch+new+zealand&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1024&bih=629&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Wairakei top right, Kinloch left

[quote name='360_CS' timestamp='1345938505' post='5534501']
Yea Wairakei is just out of Taupo, like Kinloch. I haven't played Kinloch myself but I hear it is one of the toughest courses in NZ

Here's a map.

http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?hl=en&sugexp=cqrwrth&cp=11&gs_id=79&xhr=t&q=kinloch+new+zealand&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1024&bih=629&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

[/quote]

360..cheers mate and thanks for your info..Im lloking forward to the trip

[quote name='clubgolfer' timestamp='1345957540' post='5535781']

Here's a map.

[url="http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?hl=en&sugexp=cqrwrth&cp=11&gs_id=79&xhr=t&q=kinloch+new+zealand&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1024&bih=629&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl"]http://maps.google.c...sa=N&tab=wl[/url]

[/quote]

[/quote]

No problem, have a blast.

[quote name='360_CS' timestamp='1345970042' post='5536053']
[quote name='clubgolfer' timestamp='1345957540' post='5535781']

Here's a map.

[url="http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?hl=en&sugexp=cqrwrth&cp=11&gs_id=79&xhr=t&q=kinloch+new+zealand&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1024&bih=629&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl"]http://maps.google.c...sa=N&tab=wl[/url]

cant help myself but is ther a decent golf store in Auckland :)

[/quote]

[/quote]

No problem, have a blast.
[/quote]

Kinloch is awesome, green are tricky but the layout is stunning. Cape Kidnappers is spectacular too, just make sure you get a yardage book as there are a few tee shots that it helps to know where you are going. Wairekei is good too, not in the league of the previous two but the setting is very idylic and relaxing!

[quote name='Rustynuts' timestamp='1345973729' post='5536109']
Kinloch is awesome, green are tricky but the layout is stunning. Cape Kidnappers is spectacular too, just make sure you get a yardage book as there are a few tee shots that it helps to know where you are going. Wairekei is good too, not in the league of the previous two but the setting is very idylic and relaxing!
[/quote]

Rusty, thanks for the info and i will definitely buy a yardage book even if it only prevents me from driving the cart over the cliffs :) thanks mate

I'm headed to New Zealand next month also and being based in Auckland. Thinking about staying an extra day just go down and play Cape Kidnappers. Worth it? Will probably also try to get to Gulf Harbour, Titirangi and Muriwai.

[size=1][font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]WITB: Nike Vapor Speed TW, Tour Edge XCG-V 15deg, Titleist 913H 19deg, Titleist AP1 714s 4i-AW, Nike Engage 52 and 56, Evnroll ER5[/font][/size]

[quote name='clubgolfer' timestamp='1345801305' post='5526264']
Anyone ever stayed and played golf at Cape Kidnappers and Kauri Cliffs ? Im going to NZ for the first time and really looking forward to playing these courses along with Kinloch a Golden Bear course.
[/quote]

Answer is "yes"

What do you want to know?

PS: I don't think you need to play Waireki or Titurangi. Just play more Kidnappers and Kauri Cliffs.

To stay at Kidnappers is very expensive but I went deeper into their website and they have a special for NZ and Aus residents to end of Sept I think. Stay the night for two, drinks and canapes on arrival, A La carte dinner for two, unlimited golf the next day and all for about NZ$750. great value as I think a night there in high season is somewhere in the region on $1750.

The kidnappers and Kauri Cliffs Courses are of course wonderful, but not the typical NZ golf experience. They are very remote and expensive. There are plenty of other cracking golfing experiences to be had in NZ that are great value. For example, last i heard the Kinloch Course is not doing well, its too remote and expensive and conditioning is dropping off. Whilst in the area (nearer the major town of Taupo) is Wairakei a true Kiwi classic course in a stunning geothermal valley

[quote name='mozgolf' timestamp='1346135605' post='5547453']
The kidnappers and Kauri Cliffs Courses are of course wonderful, but not the typical NZ golf experience. They are very remote and expensive. There are plenty of other cracking golfing experiences to be had in NZ that are great value. For example, last i heard the Kinloch Course is not doing well, its too remote and expensive and conditioning is dropping off. Whilst in the area (nearer the major town of Taupo) is Wairakei a true Kiwi classic course in a stunning geothermal valley
[/quote]

We are staying in Taupo at Acacia Cliff Lodge on the Lake so maybe I may be able to snealk in a game at Wairakei :)

[quote name='ailenalc' timestamp='1346082905' post='5542697']
I'm headed to New Zealand next month also and being based in Auckland. Thinking about staying an extra day just go down and play Cape Kidnappers. Worth it? Will probably also try to get to Gulf Harbour, Titirangi and Muriwai.
[/quote]

I always enjoy Titirangi, people who run the place couldn't be nicer. I am no fan of Gulf Harbour, it's a hike from Auckland and IMO not worth it. You spend a lot of the time wending your way between townhouses. If cost not problem, do Kidnappers. Us Aussies just fly to Queenstown and play Jacks Point.

[quote name='Malvern' timestamp='1346136718' post='5547495']
[quote name='ailenalc' timestamp='1346082905' post='5542697']
[/quote]

I always enjoy Titirangi, people who run the place couldn't be nicer. I am no fan of Gulf Harbour, it's a hike from Auckland and IMO not worth it. You spend a lot of the time wending your way between townhouses. If cost not problem, do Kidnappers. Us Aussies just fly to Queenstown and play Jacks Point.
[/quote]

Malvern, Im in Sydney mate and everyone tells me to go to Queenstown but my wife has arranged the trip down to every fine detail and Queenstown is not on the agenda this time :)

[quote name='clubgolfer' timestamp='1346135804' post='5547463']
[quote name='mozgolf' timestamp='1346135605' post='5547453']
[/quote]

We are staying in Taupo at Acacia Cliff Lodge on the Lake so maybe I may be able to snealk in a game at Wairakei :)
[/quote]

I was a bit off about the Jack N course at Kinloch, I was mixing it up with something else-[url="http://www.kinloch-golf.com/rates-and-bookings.aspx"]http://www.kinloch-golf.com/rates-and-bookings.aspx[/url], but Wairakei is still well worth a look and considerably cheaper if that matters. I never recalled NZ having nasty rates for foreigners- I think its only the top end places.

For those in Auckland Titirangi is really worth a tilt, McKenzie design and all, Muriwai is a bit off a change but probably a better Kiwi golf experience.

For those travelling from Auckland to Kidnappers, you will not do it in a day, more likely will need two if not three days, even if you fly to Napier and hire a car etc

Anyone ever stayed and played golf at Cape Kidnappers and Kauri Cliffs ? Im going to NZ for the first time and really looking forward to playing these courses along with Kinloch a Golden Bear course.
[/quote]

I've played Cape Kidnappers, stayed & played at Kauri Cliffs. They are in a different league than anything else you will find in New Zealand; the combination of facilities, service and world class golf is simply superb. They were built and are operated to cater to travel golfers and the people I have talked to will compared them courses with Pebble, Spyglass etc rather than anything local. I would add that on all occasions I have played either course there have only been perhaps 4 or 5 other groups on the course.

Kauri Cliffs has more of a resort feel to it. The climate is usually a bit warmer & more settled weather (although both are known for wind) and all the rooms, pro shop, restaurant etc are in close proximity to the first tee / practice range. The course itself is quite playable for the mid-handicapper and offers a good range of holes, ie some good risk-reward tee shots, par 5's reachable in 2 etc.

Kidnappers has a rustic feel to the facilities and course. it's in a more remote location, on more land I think, and suits it's surroundings. The course appears to have had less landscaping done, at least in earthworks, so has the appearance of being more natural (the bunkers have a less uniform shape, are tussock lined etc). For me, Kidnappers was a much harder course. I think it's longer and I found many tee shots and approach shots much more challenging. It probably didn't help that the day I played it was very windy.

The NZ / Aus resident winter package is a great deal when available, The rooms, food, spa facilities etc are fantastic.

I think NZ is very lucky to have two courses of this calibre open for the public to play. We are lucky that Julian Roberston shared these wonderful properties with the rest of us!

Hope that broadens your picture somewhat, if you have any more questions please ask.

The other courses mentioned here are all fine places to play and will give you a feel for 'local' courses, with perhaps the exception of Kinloch which is a very fine course and well worth a visit if possible.

[quote name='mattnz' timestamp='1346277518' post='5557133']
[/quote]

I've played Cape Kidnappers, stayed & played at Kauri Cliffs. They are in a different league than anything else you will find in New Zealand; the combination of facilities, service and world class golf is simply superb. They were built and are operated to cater to travel golfers and the people I have talked to will compared them courses with Pebble, Spyglass etc rather than anything local. I would add that on all occasions I have played either course there have only been perhaps 4 or 5 other groups on the course.

Kauri Cliffs has more of a resort feel to it. The climate is usually a bit warmer & more settled weather (although both are known for wind) and all the rooms, pro shop, restaurant etc are in close proximity to the first tee / practice range. The course itself is quite playable for the mid-handicapper and offers a good range of holes, ie some good risk-reward tee shots, par 5's reachable in 2 etc.

Kidnappers has a rustic feel to the facilities and course. it's in a more remote location, on more land I think, and suits it's surroundings. The course appears to have had less landscaping done, at least in earthworks, so has the appearance of being more natural (the bunkers have a less uniform shape, are tussock lined etc). For me, Kidnappers was a much harder course. I think it's longer and I found many tee shots and approach shots much more challenging. It probably didn't help that the day I played it was very windy.

The NZ / Aus resident winter package is a great deal when available, The rooms, food, spa facilities etc are fantastic.

I think NZ is very lucky to have two courses of this calibre open for the public to play. We are lucky that Julian Roberston shared these wonderful properties with the rest of us!

Hope that broadens your picture somewhat, if you have any more questions please ask.

The other courses mentioned here are all fine places to play and will give you a feel for 'local' courses, with perhaps the exception of Kinloch which is a very fine course and well worth a visit if possible.
[/quote]

MattNZ...Thank you for a verey well worded and informative view of the two courses I am playing. You have really pained a great picture for me and really ignited the passion to get there asap. Only 14 days to go and I will be there. As imentioned in an earlier post my golfing mate could not play across the ravines on some holes at Kidnappers due to the winds, so fingers crossed its not too bad when I play....Cheers Mate

Nice thread and very good advise for those looking to play the top end/ world class courses

A few more listed here [url="http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/country.asp?Move=Previous&id=16"]http://www.top100golfcourses.co.uk/htmlsite/country.asp?Move=Previous&id=16[/url] if you have time to kill and are looking for a few less well known treasures. Admittedly many probably have more spectacular settings and scenery than golf.