2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Equipment Update

bopper53

Callaway, Matrix, Adams
Today I was able to see the new Callaway Equipment Goodies along with my thoughts on several other items.

Callaway -

The X-20 Tours will be the next great thing for players looking for reduced offset but still want maximum forgiveness. The fact that they are non bore-thru is a big plus in my book and they will have the new generation Project X Flighted shaft from True Temper that is chrome instead of satin. ;)

The best part of the X-20 Tour iron is the fact that it looks as though Callaway designed this iron as a separate entity instead of just cutting off the off-set portion of their standard version. a major plus in my book.

The FTI Driver is a different animal all together. My initial impression is that I hate it. The impressive part of the club is the fact that Callaway has stepped up and installed a real Fuji Speeder in it. maybe it will grow on me, but at $599.00 it will be a tough sell.

On the other hand the new FT-5 is a huge improvement visually over the FT-3 and Keith commented that the sound is the best so far. Same insane ball speeds and launch capabilities will make this driver a hit.

The new X-Tours have a date of March 1st. He did not have a sample yet.

Matrix Code 8 -

I was able to try my new Code 8 shaft in my X-Hot 3 woods and all that I can say is WOW! What a difference this shaft makes in ball flight and distance. I resisted the hype as long as I could but this shaft flat out performs.

Adams Insight Fairway Woods -

I had my second look at these woods yesterday and they are beautiful. They are my sleeper in the 2007 fairway woods category. The Tour version will be an instant favorite for former TM 200 smoothie users. The rep stated that Adams believes the regular retail version will be huge on the Senior Tour. Just an awesome looking set of fairway woods.

Bopper

Cally Ai Smoke 10.5, GD DI 60
Cally Ai Smoke 16.5 HL Wood,  Fuji Red TR 70
Cally Heavenwood,  Fuji Red TR 70

PXG Hybrid # 22
Cally AiSmoke irons 5-GW with KBS $ Taper 95 shafts

Cally 56, 58 Wedge, DGS Spinner

Cameron Phantom 5.5  Putter

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glynn,

Thanks for the report, on the Launch Monitor I ended up getting pretty good length from the FT-5, it was certainly longer than the FT-3 I had been hitting there for awhile. I will say that it's virtually impossible to hit the FTI offline. I made attempts to hit huge hooks and slices with them but they all turned into a slight draw or cut.

As for the Adams portion I am typing with my Insight about 5 feet from me and it's making every attempt to kick my 906 out of my bag. It's worlds better than last years RPM Tour fairway woods.

hey sam!

how's it going up there? dealing with food poisoning (again!) now....that darn lupe tortilla restaurant!

can't wait to hit all the new stuff! going back to miuras after a bout with the x-tours...

Thanks Tony, everything is good. What is your problem with Lupe Tortilla, I used to eat at the original off I-10 and 6 all the time and never got sick, I also have eaten at the one on 249. I think you have a weak stomach.

Do yourself a favor and stick with Homer's clubs, it's by far the best I have ever seen you play.

Do yourself a favor and stick with Homer's clubs, it's by far the best I have ever seen you play.

do you have any earthly idea why i would hit a std lie iron perfectly straight with lie tape that indicates it should be 2-3 degrees flat?

AND when the iron is BENT 2-3 degrees flat (shots with lie tape are center and indicate this is the correct lie angle), my shots are short and right?

baffles me.....help.......

Tony,

Sometimes you have to just trust what works and forget the science.

Cally Ai Smoke 10.5, GD DI 60
Cally Ai Smoke 16.5 HL Wood,  Fuji Red TR 70
Cally Heavenwood,  Fuji Red TR 70

PXG Hybrid # 22
Cally AiSmoke irons 5-GW with KBS $ Taper 95 shafts

Cally 56, 58 Wedge, DGS Spinner

Cameron Phantom 5.5  Putter

do you have any earthly idea why i would hit a std lie iron perfectly straight with lie tape that indicates it should be 2-3 degrees flat?

AND when the iron is BENT 2-3 degrees flat (shots with lie tape are center and indicate this is the correct lie angle), my shots are short and right?

This may seem like a completely idiotic question...but what shoes were you wearing when you were fit vs. when you play? I have a pair of Adidas spikes that I wear most of the time, and I swear I'm 1/2" shorter in those than my Foot Joys. If you are in running shoes on an astroturf mat and the lie board is ON TOP of the mat (ie - not at the same level as the "ground"), all of those minor differences start to add up. I have had a dynamic fitting where all of my clubs were spot on after hitting on a lie board on an astroturf mat in running shoes. Then I got to the course and all of my divots were deeper in the toe and my shots ended up short right most of the time.

Also, is there any chance that the spot you are hitting the lie board on is not level? JAT.

SLDR 460 9.5* Oban Kyoshi White 65-05
SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x
SLDR TP 19* Motore Speeder 9.8HB
MR-23 CB US Spec 4-PW TC x1 soft stepped
Vokey SM 4 52*, TVD-K 56 & 60
Circa '62 No. 2 raw, ProV1x

This may seem like a completely idiotic question...but what shoes were you wearing when you were fit vs. when you play? I have a pair of Adidas spikes that I wear most of the time, and I swear I'm 1/2" shorter in those than my Foot Joys. If you are in running shoes on an astroturf mat and the lie board is ON TOP of the mat (ie - not at the same level as the "ground"), all of those minor differences start to add up. I have had a dynamic fitting where all of my clubs were spot on after hitting on a lie board on an astroturf mat in running shoes. Then I got to the course and all of my divots were deeper in the toe and my shots ended up short right most of the time.

Also, is there any chance that the spot you are hitting the lie board on is not level? JAT.

i don't know if i'm THAT good to have differences with my shoes...but i WAS wearing running shoes when i was fit. tell you what....for some reason, after the lie change, my divots are all pointing way left of where i'm aiming (indicating out to in swing/resulting in short right shots), but i am 99.9% sure my swing hasn't changed. oh well, if these new irons don't work out soon, i'll just have them bent back to standard

i'm still playing & scoring well, but the ball flight and distance is just gone

thanks rick