2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

'13 Callaway X Forged Iron Pics (updated 2/2/13 w/ more Pics)

GolfWRX

Hi I finally received these irons. I purchased Friday January 25th and the wait has been worth it. They are so sharp and clean. I got -1/2 inch and 1* flat. The only thing I have a problem with is it came with the stock Callaway grip and not the Lamkin crossline that is shown as the stock grip. I purchased through GolfTown and don't know what to do? Do I call Callaway or something because these grips were on my old Diablo's and I just don't like the grip. I don't want to not like these because it's an easy fix as these simply are the best irons ever just what should I do about the grips. Thanks

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1360562697' post='6404689']
How much less forgiving are these than the X Hot Pro irons? I would imagine quite a bit but I keep seeing the comments about how easy these are to hit....
[/quote]

I came from TM 2009 Tour Preferred's and I personally for me, think the X Forged are easier to hit than the TM's. To contrast, I think they are easier to hit than the 712 CB's, MP64's, and Adams CMB's(might be a tie with the Adams). If I were to guess on the comparison to the XHOT Pros...I would say the XHP are about 20% more forgiving..on the high side. Not a ton, but not a little either. If you are a solid striker with the irons, I think you are good either way.

Scottcreek-- I haven't noticed any additional roll out or anything from lower spin heads, and I have Ctaper X flex in mine. They still sit down on almost all of my iron shots. 3 and 4 irons roll out maybe 3-4 feet, and only if I flight them low.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

If anything I have found the x forged to spin a bit. They have more bite than my proto's but they are coming down from a far greater height. I would not be to concerned with the spin of these irons. They spin just as much as any other iron and have a good amount of bite. Just get the right shaft and all will be good.

[quote name='BBHockey95' timestamp='1360596151' post='6406003']
Hi I finally received these irons. I purchased Friday January 25th and the wait has been worth it. They are so sharp and clean. I got -1/2 inch and 1* flat. The only thing I have a problem with is it came with the stock Callaway grip and not the Lamkin crossline that is shown as the stock grip. I purchased through GolfTown and don't know what to do? Do I call Callaway or something because these grips were on my old Diablo's and I just don't like the grip. I don't want to not like these because it's an easy fix as these simply are the best irons ever just what should I do about the grips. Thanks
[/quote]

If the grip is all black but does not have that 'cobblestone' look to it like the ribbed standard callaway grip, then it is a black crossline tour....still a great grip. but if you call them they will make it right by you.

Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Eddie' timestamp='1360677658' post='6412451']
Can anyone compare how they play with i20 irons? Thinking of making a switch...
[/quote]

Looks like you already play the PXi 6.0's in the I 20's? if so, just take your 6 iron into a store and compare head to head in the monitor..apples to apples and see what you think. I think you will find the X Forged to feel and look better, IMHO, and you will hit the X Forged as easily as you hit the I 20's...they are just easy to hit!! Especially if you are already hitting the I20's solidly.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='SHORTBUTSTR8' timestamp='1360695504' post='6414571']
Forgiveness of these versus the MP59s?
[/quote]

I would say more forgiving...just more cavity, per se, and more mass lower. I consider the CMB's more forgiving then the 59's if that helps.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1360723935' post='6417581']
[/quote]

I would say more forgiving...just more cavity, per se, and more mass lower. I consider the CMB's more forgiving then the 59's if that helps.
[/quote]

Purely speculative here to but I would have to agree. I have zero data on the course or other to support my opinion other than the designs. The soles of the xforged have more bounce and the perimeter weighting seems to be more prevalent on the x forged than the mp-59's. But hard to discount the mighty 59's or for that matter the 64's. The x forged has to be more playable in soft conditions than the 59's though.

I think the combo is X Hot non pro for the 3 iron and 4-pw for the x forged 13, and then the copper wedges. :pimp:

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1360729170' post='6418299']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Purely speculative here to but I would have to agree. I have zero data on the course or other to support my opinion other than the designs. The soles of the xforged have more bounce and the perimeter weighting seems to be more prevalent on the x forged than the mp-59's. But hard to discount the mighty 59's or for that matter the 64's. The x forged has to be more playable in soft conditions than the 59's though.

I think the combo is X Hot non pro for the 3 iron and 4-pw for the x forged 13, and then the copper wedges. :pimp:
[/quote]

Wow! X HOT in the 3 iron, eh, Easyyy??? It is stupid easy to hit!! I remember Fred Funk was playing the MC's or the R9 TP's and has the CGB Max as his 3 iron...why not...don't hit it much, might as well make it easy as possible! Copper wedges are super soft...great feel. Heard the new wedges are going to be SUPER good and some really new cool tech in them.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1360729745' post='6418367']
[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1360729170' post='6418299']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow! X HOT in the 3 iron, eh, Easyyy??? It is stupid easy to hit!! I remember Fred Funk was playing the MC's or the R9 TP's and has the CGB Max as his 3 iron...why not...don't hit it much, might as well make it easy as possible! Copper wedges are super soft...great feel. Heard the new wedges are going to be SUPER good and some really new cool tech in them.
[/quote]

Honestly... Callaway sent in a 7 irons of all 3 and I wouldn't play the non tour X Hot. Never... no way. Why make the game that easy right? :to_become_senile:

No seriously I choose the X Forged to play but the X Hot was just simply WOW. I actually said that word after hitting it the first time. "WOW". The ball felt like it exploded off the face. I couldn't help to play that as the 3 iron. Now if I am going to throw out a worm burner out of the left trees low and long I might have to choose the 4 iron X forged to make sure it behaves. But the long shot into the green this non tour 3 iron is hybrid easy and straighter.

Easyyy....the right answer is always ...WHATEVER WORKS! I hit two shots today with the my X Forged 3 iron from 200+ and moved a grand total of 6 feet combined off line...!! Just an amazing iron!! So forgiving, just point and shoot! These are actually easier to hit than my TM Tour Preferred 2009's..and too me, those were the ultimate players cavity! Softest cast clubs ever, IMHO, and just so easy to hit all kinds of shots with. It is amazing to me and my playing partners just how good these irons fit my swing and style of play. Couldn't be happier getting these!

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1360819835' post='6425829']
Easyyy....the right answer is always ...WHATEVER WORKS! I hit two shots today with the my X Forged 3 iron from 200+ and moved a grand total of 6 feet combined off line...!! Just an amazing iron!! So forgiving, just point and shoot! These are actually easier to hit than my TM Tour Preferred 2009's..and too me, those were the ultimate players cavity! Softest cast clubs ever, IMHO, and just so easy to hit all kinds of shots with. It is amazing to me and my playing partners just how good these irons fit my swing and style of play. Couldn't be happier getting these!
[/quote]

They always go where you want them to when you pure it. I do agree the long iron in the XF are easy enough to hit and I really couldn't see the point of ordering the xhot pro in the 3 and 4 iron in a set. The RXF iron are easy to hit considering they are classed as a players iron. iI know this won't be popular but if you cannot the 3 or 4 iron in the XF them maybe the XF irons are to much and you should consider maybe playing the xhot pro irons instead. It just a thought and I not having a dig at anyone. As what was stated earlier "Whatever Works"

[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1360840184' post='6426269']
[/quote]

They always go where you want them to when you pure it. I do agree the long iron in the XF are easy enough to hit and I really couldn't see the point of ordering the xhot pro in the 3 and 4 iron in a set. The RXF iron are easy to hit considering they are classed as a players iron. iI know this won't be popular but if you cannot the 3 or 4 iron in the XF them maybe the XF irons are to much and you should consider maybe playing the xhot pro irons instead. It just a thought and I not having a dig at anyone. As what was stated earlier "Whatever Works"
[/quote]

Not for me. I enjoy the forged feel. If there is any scoring differences I dont se it in my game. I tried the SGI and GI experiment for months on end and while I know on paper it should help with scoring it doesnt with me. I can play a 3 iron but having one that I know I can swing at 85% and it will fly 210 and land soft is worth it.

Same theory that many have used over the years by pulling the 3 iron for another wedge or a hybrid.

I also dont see a ton of difference between the XHot Pro and the X Forged 13.

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1360900386' post='6432103']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Not for me. I enjoy the forged feel. If there is any scoring differences I dont se it in my game. I tried the SGI and GI experiment for months on end and while I know on paper it should help with scoring it doesnt with me. I can play a 3 iron but having one that I know I can swing at 85% and it will fly 210 and land soft is worth it.

Same theory that many have used over the years by pulling the 3 iron for another wedge or a hybrid.

[/quote]

I totally agree, Easyyy. For me, Ctapers was the magic pill for me playing a 3 iron well, even in a smaller head. The balance just makes it so easy to swing NORMAL instead of going at it hard.
I also agree visually, not a lot different between the two heads, just the finish and an oh so slight top line, but you would have to have them side by side to notice it while playing.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Dscvrr, you've already been more than helpful to me, much appreciated. Have you played either the 07 or 09 X Forged? Just curious as to how you would compare those to the 13 X Forged. I hit them at a demo the other day with the stock 5.5, which is a little light for me, but they felt fantastic. Would you say they are more forgiving than those two (assuming you've even hit them, which i figured you probably have). I was thinking of going back to the X Hot Pro, but after playing forged for so long now... UGH! Thanks again!

fwiw I played the 07 in PX 6.5 and i currently play the 09 in KBS Tour X.

Callaway RHT 9.5 Kaili 70x
Callaway FT Tour 4 wood
Callaway XHP 20h RIP 85X
Callaway X Forged 09 4-PW KBS Tour X
Callaway X Forged 54 58 S400
Odyssey Protype 2 35'

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Feel is everything and relates to everything and promotes confidence which leads to better shots. Just because a players club being played by a high marker doesn't effect the score then maybe the clubs should be looked at. No point shooting 100 with a forged irons and then doing the same with a hockey stick. Whats the point? We all strive to improve and play better. My point is no point playing a game improvement iron and shooting 100 and the playing a forged iron and shooting 100. There are other factors that need to be addressed. My point is you should play clubs that help you score better and produce your best possible results.

[quote name='Whammy' timestamp='1360908249' post='6432529']
Dscvrr, you've already been more than helpful to me, much appreciated. Have you played either the 07 or 09 X Forged? Just curious as to how you would compare those to the 13 X Forged. I hit them at a demo the other day with the stock 5.5, which is a little light for me, but they felt fantastic. Would you say they are more forgiving than those two (assuming you've even hit them, which i figured you probably have). I was thinking of going back to the X Hot Pro, but after playing forged for so long now... UGH! Thanks again!

[/quote]

I did not play either of the prior models, unfortunately, but that was due to me not finding them as forgiving as my TM 2009 Tour Preferreds, which also had the Ctapers in them. I truly believe Roger has designed a no brainer here, great looks, great feel, and actually far easier to hit for me than anything I have owned. I agree on the PXi...just too light for someone who needs/wants the 120-130 gram weight range and you have been 130 in both your sets. If you want an amazing feel...Ctapers in these is incredible. I find these for some reason to be even more forgiving than my TM's, which says alot about Roger's design and use of weighting and bounce.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1360901220' post='6432177']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I totally agree, Easyyy. For me, Ctapers was the magic pill for me playing a 3 iron well, even in a smaller head. The balance just makes it so easy to swing NORMAL instead of going at it hard.
I also agree visually, not a lot different between the two heads, just the finish and an oh so slight top line, but you would have to have them side by side to notice it while playing.
[/quote]

For whatever reason I like adding a SGI for the 3 iron. Knowing the hotter face and more forgiveness is there I swing within myself more and statistically I hit better shots.
Another thing about the 3 iron being a SGI and the 4-pw being players cb.... The 3 iron rarely is steep. The issue I have with SGI soles are the massive widths. The turf interaction on short irons is disturbing. With the 3 iron I am sweeping more and the sole is a non issue.

[quote name='easyyy' timestamp='1360945066' post='6434117']
[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1360901220' post='6432177']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

For whatever reason I like adding a SGI for the 3 iron. Knowing the hotter face and more forgiveness is there I swing within myself more and statistically I hit better shots.
Another thing about the 3 iron being a SGI and the 4-pw being players cb.... The 3 iron rarely is steep. The issue I have with SGI soles are the massive widths. The turf interaction on short irons is disturbing. With the 3 iron I am sweeping more and the sole is a non issue.
[/quote]

I currently game 710 AP2's 5-A with the 710 AP1 4 iron. When I placed my order for my irons, I went with the 6-A in the X Forged and then went 4/5 in the XHP. I figured since this is pretty close to what I have today , why not get a little more forgiveness out of the 5 iron as well?

Lo and behold, I check the specs of the two iron sets and realize the XHP 5 iron is 24 degrees and the X Forged 6 iron is 30 degrees. Not wanting a six degree gap in the middle of my set, I went with 5-A in the X Forged and added a 24 degree Utility Prototype.

I could have ordered the 5/6 iron in the XHP which are 24 and 27 respectively to have correct gaps, but my OCD couldn't have two 6 irons in the bag.

So my questions to easyyy is, how much do you notice the 5 degree gap between the XHP 3 and X Forged 4?

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1360933269' post='6433031']

[/quote]

I did not play either of the prior models, unfortunately, but that was due to me not finding them as forgiving as my TM 2009 Tour Preferreds, which also had the Ctapers in them. I truly believe Roger has designed a no brainer here, great looks, great feel, and actually far easier to hit for me than anything I have owned. I agree on the PXi...just too light for someone who needs/wants the 120-130 gram weight range and you have been 130 in both your sets. If you want an amazing feel...Ctapers in these is incredible. I find these for some reason to be even more forgiving than my TM's, which says alot about Roger's design and use of weighting and bounce.
[/quote]

Thank you sir!

Callaway RHT 9.5 Kaili 70x
Callaway FT Tour 4 wood
Callaway XHP 20h RIP 85X
Callaway X Forged 09 4-PW KBS Tour X
Callaway X Forged 54 58 S400
Odyssey Protype 2 35'

[quote name='Whammy' timestamp='1360952855' post='6434987']
[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1360933269' post='6433031']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you sir!
[/quote]

Whammy...no issue...ask anything you want about these!! either here in the forum or PM...

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

I just got my x forged irons yesterday and took them out for a range session today and wow are these irons the real deal. I ordered mine with the stock pxi shaft and I am really liking the penetrating ball flight whereas I usually hit my irons a bit too high for my liking. Also, these irons are extremely workable but I still can't get over how forgiving they are at the same time. It seems like I've picked up at least half a club length, but I really need to take them out for 18 to see if that's the case. If anyone is on the fence about pulling the trigger and ordering a set, just order them you won't be sorry.

[quote name='Aced' timestamp='1360995895' post='6438709']
I just got my x forged irons yesterday and took them out for a range session today and wow are these irons the real deal. I ordered mine with the stock pxi shaft and I am really liking the penetrating ball flight whereas I usually hit my irons a bit too high for my liking. Also, these irons are extremely workable but I still can't get over how forgiving they are at the same time. It seems like I've picked up at least half a club length, but I really need to take them out for 18 to see if that's the case. If anyone is on the fence about pulling the trigger and ordering a set, just order them you won't be sorry.
[/quote]

Great sticks!! Thanks for the input on the feel and performance...update again after you play..but I have a feeling it will be the same response or better!! LOL!! Forgiveness of this club is what makes it what it is...throw in the workability, turf interaction and ease of hit...WOW!!

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[/quote]

Wow your results are the complete opposite to mine. I have found I am half a club shorter and hitting the ball a lot higher compared to my proto's. I do agree the irons are super forgiving and the feel is superb. It may just be the lighter shaft that is causing the higher launch. The half a club loss is nothing and but I am amused that so far I seem to be the only one that has gone backwards with length in these irons.

[quote name='JB lefty' timestamp='1361097430' post='6444053']
[/quote]

Wow your results are the complete opposite to mine. I have found I am half a club shorter and hitting the ball a lot higher compared to my proto's. I do agree the irons are super forgiving and the feel is superb. It may just be the lighter shaft that is causing the higher launch. The half a club loss is nothing and but I am amused that so far I seem to be the only one that has gone backwards with length in these irons.
[/quote]

JB...IMHO...if you normally hit the 6 iron over 180-185, then the PXi would not be an ideal shaft for you. I think you mentioned having regular PX in the proto's at 6.0, which is around 130 grams. From personal experience at my GG, messing around with heads and shafts in the fitting cart...give me a lighter than 130 and I hit the 6 iron about 175 in the monitor, give me a 130 and I get it out there around 185-190...so yeah, the weight of the shaft for some us is HUGE to our game!! Just sayin!

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Well, it was my swing that was messing up my demo with these beauties...tried them again today and Ohhh baby, what an iron, sweet feeling but I'm really liking the pxi shaft...now to come up with $999...lol

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

[sup]Well, after hitting these since Xmas, I took my Protos back to the range today. As much as I like the forgiveness of the X Forged, the crispness and feel of the Protos is hard to beat. Could just be the Project X shafts versus the PXI, but I might have to put the Protos back in the bag. I'm not really in the mood to swap shafts on the X Forged at the moment. [/sup]

Ping G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 Max 15 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 3 Hybrid Kai'Li White

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120

TaylorMade MG3 50, 56, 60

Gamed today for the first time with DG S300. Winds were high with gusts upward to 25 mph, so hard to tell how they will react in more normal conditions. but I have to say they did not perform better than the Wilson FG62's (gamers the past 1.5 years), but as I said it was the first test drive. Most irons will look thicker period next to the FG 62s, so it may take some getting used to the look as well. Best two irons shots of the day were with the 4 and 7 iron, both flushed. I purchased the set for a little more forgiving iron set than the FGs, so I hope they work out.

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K Blue Regular 45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

[quote name='dirthead' timestamp='1361150722' post='6448363']
[sup]Well, after hitting these since Xmas, I took my Protos back to the range today. As much as I like the forgiveness of the X Forged, the crispness and feel of the Protos is hard to beat. Could just be the Project X shafts versus the PXI, but I might have to put the Protos back in the bag. I'm not really in the mood to swap shafts on the X Forged at the moment. [/sup]
[/quote]

Dirthead, I can almost guarantee you that it is the shafts. Especially if you are a fairly long hitter with the irons. I like the PXi feel, but cannot deal with the weight...way too light for me.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link