Golf - Is It Worth Your Time?

Furrankee

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly! Is it worth to get drunk, surfing on internet, doing yoga (and not Yoda ;))...?

For me, and for the first time (happened this year), it helps to think something else than job. And isn't great to walk and look at what is surrounding you :drinks: And I'm not yet talking about people we met :crazy:

So for me, yes it's worth!

The reason why I started this topic was from an article I read in the San Francisco Chronicle, where a surfer, having been attacked by a great white, rethunk his life from that moment on. He was apparently attacked twice, the attacks occuring months apart. To have been attacked by one shark and survived without any limbs being torn off is unthinkable. To have an attack on you AGAIN and surviving it, wihtout any limbs being torn off, is a wake up call.

This surfer realized how selfish the sport of surfing was. How all he was out for was to prove he could surf a bigger wave, to keep challenging himself in terms of technique and being one with the ocean.

And then the 2nd attack came. He realized his overbearing selfishness in wanting to surf every day, also realizing he needed to spend more life with his family, rather than trying to master a skill.

What are your thoughts? To live on this earth, playing and thinking about golf the majority of your time. Is it really worth it?

i use to be a avid beach bum, and i can definetly see surfing more spiritual than golf, but that said, its your life and you should enjoy it. if you are to busy thinking and playing golf to live your life, then i definetly see a problem.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

The reason why I started this topic was from an article I read in the San Francisco Chronicle, where a surfer, having been attacked by a great white, rethunk his life from that moment on.

If I'm attacked by a Great White on the golf course, I would definitely cut my rounds down to only one per week.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

i think it all depends on the individual. if you have a family and people who depend on you because of you, and you're overly preoccupied with golf, surfing, or whatever, then you have a problem. but if you have a personal goal, or a visionquest, then by all means i'm for it.

bottom line is, if you think you're wasting your time doing something, chances are you probably are. my 2 cents.

In my opinion this surfer's claim about quitting surfing because it consumed his life is a total cover. This guy doesn't want to admit why he is really walking away from surfing. Plain and simple, he doesn't want to continue surfing because he is afraid of sharks. Surfing, like many other risky sports (e.g., mountain climbing and skydiving), have unwritten codes that are just not discussed. According to my brother (a former surfer), surfers will never admit a fear of sharks, since to do so would result in one being an outcast. Surely, this fellow has many friends who surf. As such, he may not be ready to break a surfing norm and possibly alienate some friends by admitting a fear of sharks (even though most would understand).

Back to the original question...I don't think spending time golfing is a waste of time. Many of us golf with family and friends as form active socialization. Others of us, use golf as alone time, decompression if you will. I think any time you spend doing something you enjoy is time well spent. However, if something you do becomes so obsessive it affects personal relationships (e.g., your wife resents you playing golf) or finances (e.g., your club ho'en so hard the kids college fund got raided) then its time for a reality check.

I hope to look back and view my time spent golfing as something rewarding through which I was able to meet interesting people, have fun with friends, and hopefully have taught some yet to be born children the virtues of golf.

After your life is all said and done, do you think it was worth it to spend 50% of your waking hour playing or thinking about golf?

Hell Ya!! :drinks: .....I've played golf since I was 16....But I didn't really start playing on a regular basis until I was 36, my regret, if any.........is that I didn't play more golf between 16 and 36, and that is a no chitter. :crazy:

After my son was born back in the early 80's, I gave up golf for about 10 years while he was growing up, that 10 years I'll not ever regret giving up for golf. ;)

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

Only 50 percent, I got to work on that. Yes it is worth it I love golf!!! I have been playing golf since I was about 10, lost interest, played again when I was 12 or 13, lost interest again, and I started playing somewhat seriously when I was 14 and here I am now, playing very seriously, and next yuear I am hoping to be shooting in the low 80's and high 70's or better and playing in tournaments. I am not going to stop, not anytime soon.

Rich

In my opinion this surfer's claim about quitting surfing because it consumed his life is a total cover. This guy doesn't want to admit why he is really walking away from surfing. Plain and simple, he doesn't want to continue surfing because he is afraid of sharks. Surfing, like many other risky sports (e.g., mountain climbing and skydiving), have unwritten codes that are just not discussed. According to my brother (a former surfer), surfers will never admit a fear of sharks, since to do so would result in one being an outcast. Surely, this fellow has many friends who surf. As such, he may not be ready to break a surfing norm and possibly alienate some friends by admitting a fear of sharks (even though most would understand).

Back to the original question...I don't think spending time golfing is a waste of time. Many of us golf with family and friends as form active socialization. Others of us, use golf as alone time, decompression if you will. I think any time you spend doing something you enjoy is time well spent. However, if something you do becomes so obsessive it affects personal relationships (e.g., your wife resents you playing golf) or finances (e.g., your club ho'en so hard the kids college fund got raided) then its time for a reality check.

I hope to look back and view my time spent golfing as something rewarding through which I was able to meet interesting people, have fun with friends, and hopefully have taught some yet to be born children the virtues of golf.

It's actually pretty amazing that more shark attacks don't occur on surfers. When paddling out they look like a seal from below, which is a great white's main food source.

I don't think golf is a waste of time at all whether your thinking, practicing, playing, or talking about golf. Because it is a great thing to do with friends and family, and its also just a lot of fun! I have had some great memories with my dad out on the golf course and can't wait to have more, and I have only played for 4 years going on 5. I think as long as your enjoying it and it doesn't affect the rest of your life. I mean if you are so preoccupied with golf that you never see your family or friends or you lose your job or run out of money due to golf then you have some issues. But as long as you do it and have fun and take to the rest of your life then I think golf is worth my time.

It's actually pretty amazing that more shark attacks don't occur on surfers. When paddling out they look like a seal from below, which is a great white's main food source.

Off Topic: Unfortunately, I think more attacks will occur since its likely that shark populations will continue increase due to more legislative protections and larger seal populations. One thing to keep in mind about this surfer's story, is that he was surfing in an area of California known as the red triangle. This particular area has deep cold water and booming seal population, which attracts a large number of great whites. Thus, there is a higher occurance of shark sightings and close encounters with humans. I used to want to learn to surf, but I won't do it in Nor. Cal. If you have ever seen a seal carcass that has been hit by a great white, you learn quickly who owns the sea.

Golf is what you get out of it. Sometimes I bring my 4 year old daughter with me when I golf. She has a set of clubs and rides in the cart with me. She hits balls and putts when she feels like it. The other time she is looking at squirels, birds and all the other sights out there.

In my opinion golf right now in our lives is priceless. Hopefully she enjoys the game and it is something we can do together as long as we live. Nothing against surfers, but it's impossible (to my knowledge) to take a 4 year old surfing.

-Steve

The reason why I started this topic was from an article I read in the San Francisco Chronicle, where a surfer, having been attacked by a great white, rethunk his life from that moment on.

If I'm attacked by a Great White on the golf course, I would definitely cut my rounds down to only one per week.

Thanks Hip. I haven't laughed out loud for a while.

Golf is a way to spend time with my wife, my dad, my best friends, my coworkers and my pastor outside the hustle and bustle of life.

Callaway GBB Epic 10.5* - HZRDUS 5.5

Callaway GBB Epic 15* - HZRDUS 6.0

Adams Idea Pro 18* - Proto 80-S
Adams Idea A7 22* - Axivcore 85 S

Nike Pro Combo OS: 5-PW - Rifle 5.5

TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe 52* & 58* Big Foot - HI-REV 2.0
Yes! Callie

Vice Golf Tour

It's not a waste of time because golf is the greatest sport ever.

To quote Jack Nicklaus:

"In what other sport can the worst player in the world beat the best thanks to handicapping, or one that promotes and provides companionship and socialbility as much as it does competetive endeavor, or one that is eternally imperfectable and thus, so forever challenging."

I think the last bit of the quote is what keeps us coming back...

(If that sort of qouting is not allowed please delete this post).

It is worth every second I think of it! It is a way to escape things and i cant wait to take my kids golfing and my wife has told me when the girls are older she will take it up again so we can enjoy it together.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

This thread kind of hits on what I meant in the "if you had $10,000 and unlimited time" thread.

I love golf and I'm better than average at it. But I have a wife and a daughter at home and I definately have the game in perspective. I skip a round of golf to do stuff with my family all the time. And when I do play I usually get out a 5:30 AM so I can try to get back home before they wake up.

There was a period of time when I played too much at the detriment of my career and almost my marriage. Golf just isn't that important in the big picture of life.

I had a few moments like that with bicycle racing. Woke up one day and realized I had been sacrificing so many other things in my life for it. After all, training for racing in a competitive area takes a lot of time. I've since backed waaaay off and started enjoying other parts of my life, spending more time with my wife and friends, etc. Since my wife plays golf with me, I can enjoy that with her, though she isn't as obsessed as I am. :fool: