2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Everything you need to know about Epon: Video and photos

GolfWRX

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1358709008' post='6265587']
[quote name='topekareal' timestamp='1358707775' post='6265463']
2) If Endo is in charge of the vast majority of OEM forgings (not named Mizuno) and all of the raw forged heads come out of the same forging house, what are the substantive differences when comparing Epon to Srixon, Bridgestone, Titleist, etc?
[/quote]

Other brands bring a design or mold to Endo and they just forge it for them. Epon is the house brand and creates their own designs, sparing no expense.

Epon irons notoriously play easier than other brands' same level or profile iron. (Players CB for instance). A 302, at least to me, is orders of magnitude easier to hit than a Titleist CB or Miura 501. The AF-Tour is renowned for being one of the easiest and most forgiving blade designs.

Epon also likes to make small batches of unique, special clubs. The cost of making small runs is quite high per unit manufactured, which is partly why the Personals, Zen putter, I-33 are so expensive. A lot of cost is also the exclusivity built into the price. For some it is worth it, for others not so much. Also many times people can custom order a certain finish.

I don't think there is any inherent manufacturing process that sets the Epon apart from the other companies that contract Endo to forge for them. I think what the average Epon buyer is getting for their extra money is a unique, very playable design for its profile, exacting standards, and many times a limited edition work of art. The fit and finish of high end JDM is second to none. This may not translate into better scores but the boutique benefits do add value for some buyers.
[/quote]

Fair enough...very thoughtful response...I agree that the finish/spec tolerance are certainly differentiating factors...as you say, this may/may not translate into lower scores, but are differences nonetheless...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered a set of AF302 in copper finish. I'm thrilled that they actually make this model in left-handed. Can't wait to hit them this spring.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[quote name='Stretch' timestamp='1358710156' post='6265669']
[quote name='Vegaman' timestamp='1358597960' post='6258663']
But of course, Wishon will come on and say that the chinese factory staffed by uneducated country folk/farmers (nothing against farmers as such mind) he uses and happened to work for, are much more advanced and produce better quality forgings than Endo.
[/quote]

He seems to have mysteriously overlooked this one so far? Good to see that you never miss a single opportunity to make JDM devotees look like supercilious jerks, though. Congratulations on your vigilance!
[/quote]
whatever stereotype you think he "made us look like", your not making the other side look any better...

[quote name='Functionoverform?' timestamp='1358632473' post='6261023']
Hi Guys my first post on the this brilliant site. Gamed various clubs including Muira 501s. Using an old set of Ping i10s at present.
I have Epon Wedges and they are really something else. I read that the edges of the grooves are treated with a laser to help retain sharpness. Is that true and if so are they unique in that type of treatment, as mine do stop on a penny ( or Dime).
My question is where can I see and try several of the EPON irons in the UK. Several of their fitters are not responding to inquiries and others are 300 miles away. First i want to see the heads in the flesh, and probably want to try to actually hit a 501,551 and possible compare with the 302.

Any recommended UK Stockists or should I write direct to EPON? I dont mind importing but the customs charges etc just add to the costs.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but its frustrating to see photos and hear about these clubs when i cant get to actually see them.
[/quote][size=4][quote name='Functionoverform?' timestamp='1358632473' post='6261023'][/size]
Hi Guys my first post on the this brilliant site. Gamed various clubs including Muira 501s. Using an old set of Ping i10s at present.
I have Epon Wedges and they are really something else. I read that the edges of the grooves are treated with a laser to help retain sharpness. Is that true and if so are they unique in that type of treatment, as mine do stop on a penny ( or Dime).
My question is where can I see and try several of the EPON irons in the UK. Several of their fitters are not responding to inquiries and others are 300 miles away. First i want to see the heads in the flesh, and probably want to try to actually hit a 501,551 and possible compare with the 302.

Any recommended UK Stockists or should I write direct to EPON? I dont mind importing but the customs charges etc just add to the costs.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but its frustrating to see photos and hear about these clubs when i cant get to actually see them.
[/quote] Try urban golf they stock them.

Driver: PING G430 MAX 10K 9 Mitsubishi Diamana WB 43X
Fairway Wood: PING G430 LST Fujikura Ventus Blue + 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S
Hybrid: PING G430 22 Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 7S

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen6 5-PW Aerotech Steelfiber i95S

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM10 50 F, 54 M, 60 D KBS 610 Wedge R
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 7 CH 34 inches
Ball: Titleist AVX

Does anyone know the specs on Epon Personals bounce?

I have searched everywhere but can't find anything.

Want to bend the lofts 1 degree to match my current Miura set, as I do not want to have to tweak my distances, especially the less-than-full swing distances.

However, worried that if these are low bounce already I might be making them even tougher for myself being a digger and playing in wet conditions most of the time.

Help!!!!

9.5° Ping i20 Diamana Ahina 70x
13.5° Mizuno MP-CLK Diamana Ahina 80x
17° Mizuno MP-CLK hybrid Stock x shaft
Miura Babyblades 3-P Project X 6.2 Tour
Miura 53° and 59° 1957 series
Miura KM-005 putter

[quote name='tsupo' timestamp='1358749092' post='6268897']
well......... intersting out of the blue expose .
good job chaps!

and its pronounced E- pon ...., not eeeeeeeeeeeeee pon..

epon is the shortened word for "weapon"

thast what the brand is golfing "weapons"
how many of y'all fell over at $2100 bucks a set of irons?
[/quote]

Yeah...I think this is where you start to really divide the consumer base...I'm sure they are very nice irons and exhibit the utmost in craftsmanship, etc...but again, when comparing retail prices, you are paying 100% premium for something...and imo, if it doesn't improve performance, I'm not sure I'm willing to pay that much of a premium...also liked how he was wearing some nice Mizuno softgoods!

[indent=1]i had a little russel round o nthe range last night with a fair few of my clubs[/indent]
[indent=1]im not biased to any particular brand at all[/indent]
[indent=1]i just like hitting the best clubs i can[/indent]

[indent=1]really.......................[/indent]
[indent=1]the personals i have are just the complete package.[/indent]
[indent=1]the ONLY THING ill say is the distance i get form them is shorter than my other sticks[/indent]
[indent=1]it doenst worry me per say.. but.. if i start jumping from club set to club set im sort on my irons with them[/indent]

[indent=1]but for over all everying included. feel, performance, looks,.[/indent]
[indent=1]i dont know if id sell these before my others if i had to have just one set.[/indent]

[indent=1]they kinda get a hold on you[/indent]

[indent=1]put it like this id sell my coper af -tours way before my perosonals[/indent]

[indent=1]i think the price is up there but... well to me its ok.[/indent]

owari !

[quote name='Jarri' timestamp='1358762352' post='6269209']
Does anyone know the specs on Epon Personals bounce?

I have searched everywhere but can't find anything.

Want to bend the lofts 1 degree to match my current Miura set, as I do not want to have to tweak my distances, especially the less-than-full swing distances.

However, worried that if these are low bounce already I might be making them even tougher for myself being a digger and playing in wet conditions most of the time.

Help!!!!
[/quote]

The Personals have a quite blunted/killed leading edge, particularly for a blade/MB profile. I haven't seen anyone complain about digging issues with them. Mine are bent 2* strong and the bounce of course lowered accordingly, and they still don't present a problem for my steepish swing.

Epon clubs in general have a wider sole and more leading edge relief than most similar iron profiles. This, imo, is what gives Epons more forgiveness relative to other irons in their class. The AF-Tour (blade) and Personals play more like a Players CB. The 302 (Players CB) plays more like a modest GI iron.

Having hit a lot of different JDM and USDM irons, one of the reasons I like Epon so much isn't the name or the look, etc--it all boils down to playability. I honestly feel like I can play an iron above my ability in terms of looks and profile without sacrificing my score in the process. I feel like a complete clown trying to hit a Titleist MB/CB or Miura CB-501. Every time I swing those irons in a store, they make me feel like a first timer. Yet an AF-Tour or 302, which are comparable irons, are quite playable for me and my swing.

I think that if someone does enough research and reading, they will find many Epon fans don't buy Epon for any mystique or status so much as the ability to game a gorgeous, soft, playeresque iron that has a sneaky amount of GI built into it. I love players irons...and probably shouldn't game most brands out there. Epon's design allows me to play a low-offset, thin top line players iron without the inherent penalties.

• 1 month later...

Went to the flagship shop in Niigata when in Japan a couple of weeks back and got fit with a set of 302s with DGS200. Some pics of the clubs and the new 2013 caddie bag below.

Also got the AF-tour 7I, just such a beautiful club. Was considering to get a full set of the blades , but monitor numbers were much better for the 302s.

I agree with earlier posters that they are very forgiving for the small head size. I am coming off Ping I3 blades so was looking for a small head.

Pics link below (flickr)

[url="http://flic.kr/s/aHsjE7iCxL"]http://flic.kr/s/aHsjE7iCxL[/url]