Which golf magazine is the best?

Merlin_T

With all comments & discussions recently about Golf Digest and their 2007 Hot List which - BTW - I think the best system they used for publishing their results was in 2005 with % , I'd like to hear from all of you which golf magazine do you think is (or are) the best(s), and why? :kewlpics: Some mentioned 'Golf Magazine', but do you also have another suggestion?

And the winner is ..... :idhitit::idhitit: :crazy: :idhitit: ;)

Thanks!

Chris.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once had a subscription to both Golf Digest and Golf Magazine at the same time for about two years and decided to keep one - Golf Digest. I just found their format better and love the WITB when it first started. I have kept every issue since I started playing golf 11 years ago. I have purchased other magazines but they just don't make the cut.

So Golf Digest for me!

Also, get your subscription through ebay...much, much cheaper.

Saw GD for 3 years for less than $6.00.

Golf Digest and Golf World subscriptions are both available on eBay from reputable sellers for ridiculously low rates. (If anyone is wondering why, it''s because - and I'm pretty sure I'm not talking out of my a** here - a magazine's major revenue comes from advertising, not subscriptions. And because advertising rates are determined by circulation numbers, the magazine has an incentive to get as many subscriptions as possible, even at discount rates through 3rd party brokers.)

My favorite golf magazine is still GolfPunk (U.K.), so I will once again beg for any information on how I can get it in the U.S. without paying an arm and a leg like I do now.

My favorite between GD and Golf Mag. (I subscribe to both) is Golf Magazine...I just like the layout and format a bit better, it seems a bit less pretentious to me than GD.

My favorite of all golf magazines...I pick up a copy at my corner bookstore of 'Today's Golfer' , a British golf magazine, well put together and a joy to read each month. A wide range of 'kit' as they refer to it is reviewed...expensive and lower priced...a few less articles on swing fixes than GD or Golf, and they usually feature a few more articles on how to play a hole or a shot from a strategy point.

Today's Golfer had a September issue that featured putting together a bag of equipment on several budgets...from modest to unlimited $$$. The modest bag had some seemingly more generic and low priced clubs...something you never see featured in GD or Golf.

Plus, Today's Golfer's club/equipment reviews and rankings (their monthly 'hot lists') seem a bit more impartial, much more informative, and they are a bit more down to earth than GD's.

No love for golf punk?

www.golfpunkonline.com

Not a serious golf instruction magazine, but actually one that is having an effect on the youth and <30 market.... as you may be able to tell from the website

My favorite as I've posted in many other threads. And anyone who has seen those threads knows what is next: Does anyone know how I can get it in the U.S. without paying $9+ U.S. per issue?

Despite fitting the majority of characteristics of the target audience, i'm not a massive fan of golfpunk, sure the pictures are pretty nice, but the articles seem to go on and on without getting to the point, and all their fashion advice will have you standing on the first tee looking like a traffic light with and empty bank account.

I subscribe to Golf Monthly (UK) and the club where i'm a member subscribes to Golf World (UK). Both are great, as is Today's Golfer, except I think Golf Monthly made some shocking errors with their top courses in the UK publication.

Picked up a copy of golf digest in LAX as I was bored of looking at nothing in the shops, read it almost cover to cover, and there is some real good stuff in there, but also alot that I wasn't fussed about. They seem to have half dozen pro's signed up giving tips each week as well as their own instructors and tour coaches. Is that really necessary? I'd imagine players new to the game wouldn't realise that each player a lot of the time is just describing how they play a particular shot, or have fixed a problem, and try to apply every peice of advice to their swing/game, ending up well and truly confused.

I receive Golf D, Golf M, and Golfweek. They're all a bit different. Golfweek gives you the latest news and is very well written. Golf M has more decent instruction. Golf D has the name, period. Both D & M have far too much garbage inserted inside. By the time you throw all the garbage out, you realize that there is not much to read.

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

I used to really like "Today's Golfer" they were the first magazine to actually print review and comments on clubs. I came from riding dirt bikes and the magazine in that sport are brutal on reviews. Golf magazine are still a joke for the most part, but are getting better.

Recently, I have started reading and really enjoy "Golf Punk", another British magazine.

• 1 month later...

My favorite between GD and Golf Mag. (I subscribe to both) is Golf Magazine...I just like the layout and format a bit better, it seems a bit less pretentious to me than GD.

My favorite of all golf magazines...I pick up a copy at my corner bookstore of 'Today's Golfer' , a British golf magazine, well put together and a joy to read each month. A wide range of 'kit' as they refer to it is reviewed...expensive and lower priced...a few less articles on swing fixes than GD or Golf, and they usually feature a few more articles on how to play a hole or a shot from a strategy point.

Today's Golfer had a September issue that featured putting together a bag of equipment on several budgets...from modest to unlimited $$$. The modest bag had some seemingly more generic and low priced clubs...something you never see featured in GD or Golf.

Plus, Today's Golfer's club/equipment reviews and rankings (their monthly 'hot lists') seem a bit more impartial, much more informative, and they are a bit more down to earth than GD's.

I completely agree. The only drawback is waiting til the issue makes it over here. Their comprehensive driver issue will be the May issue, on sale in Britain April 1st. Not sure when it will appear on newstands over here.

All the biggies are basically the same with their trends of what they have... For real golf though, I like GolfWorld, and recently picked up a subs. to GolfWeek... I hope it has a little differerent slant than Golf World, as they are both weeklys!

I also get the major ad fests... GM, GD and even Golf Tips.... I'm a loon!

Also, get your subscription through ebay...much, much cheaper.

Saw GD for 3 years for less than $6.00.

Golf Digest and Golf World subscriptions are both available on eBay from reputable sellers for ridiculously low rates. (If anyone is wondering why, it''s because - and I'm pretty sure I'm not talking out of my a** here - a magazine's major revenue comes from advertising, not subscriptions. And because advertising rates are determined by circulation numbers, the magazine has an incentive to get as many subscriptions as possible, even at discount rates through 3rd party brokers.)

My favorite golf magazine is still GolfPunk (U.K.), so I will once again beg for any information on how I can get it in the U.S. without paying an arm and a leg like I do now.

Dude you are DEAD ON about the revenue and source of revenue.

No love for golf punk?

www.golfpunkonline.com

Not a serious golf instruction magazine, but actually one that is having an effect on the youth and <30 market.... as you may be able to tell from the website

My favorite as I've posted in many other threads. And anyone who has seen those threads knows what is next: Does anyone know how I can get it in the U.S. without paying $9+ U.S. per issue?

GolfPunk is the best Magazine in the world! www.golfpunkonline.com

I picked up a U.S Golf Digest about a month ago and it nearly put me off the game. It's so boring (sorry to those who love it)