2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

My first step into the JDM...

Bravo36

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Bravo36' timestamp='1364088445' post='6675149']
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Yeah, I know, I just got back in from looking at them again in the garage. Got rained out for my range session today unfortunately.
[/quote]
Reminds me of one of the commercials that's been on a lot of the golf coverage this weekend...the one where the guy has a baby monitor on his clubs...funny stuff...I can relate.

Glad my write up was of value to you and that you were able to demo them prior to buying. I "know" that JDM isn't "any better" and it's "all hype" but I have hit a lot of irons and these OnOff Forged are special and different. Had a lot of conversations with my friend John who also has them and neither of us have an answer for why they are so soft and forgiving but they are. Without offset and a huge head. YMMV. My only regret is not getting the 4i.

I have a set of RomaRo Pro Forged coming that will have the exact same shafts as the OnOffs so this should be interesting. The OnOffs do launch fairly high but my spin numbers are spot on with the OnOff/Recoil combo.

Congrats on the set, Bravo! Enjoy!

As for "Mr. Real," I say again, guys, don't feed this troll with his holier-than-thou sandwich board avatar that he probably has up on a wall somewhere near his computer, too. He's going to come rattling through here regardless, but he thrives even on chum if you throw it his way. And BTW, one of the funnier things I saw a couple weeks back while browsing in another forum was Mr. Real getting all hot and bothered and throwing around exclamation marks in a post. And you know what it was about? The fact that True Temper was making a black wedge shaft. That's right, a black wedge shaft... <g> And this guy thinks we have problems...

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

Thought I'd post a better photo of the irons before their first trip to the range today. Finally warmed up to 50* and the wind dropped to 15-20. Man, it's been howling here the last couple of days. Anyway, for those that are curious, the range session went VERY WELL! These babies are just a pleasure to hit. Ultra soft feel and just the right amount of forgiveness I've been looking for I love how they setup at address and move through the turf. Very nice ball flight. Not sure, but I'm probably gonna re-shaft these with either the Recoils or Steelfibers. Have a couple different sets now with one of each, and I like them both.

Anyway, enjoy the new pic. I can't say enough good things about the irons. I'm very pleased with the purchase.

After the Epon's that I constantly lust over (RF551's), these are next in line as the most gorgeous set out there.

My apologies if I missed it in the thread, did you stick with the stock Nippon 950's or go for something else?

Morebetterbettergolf: If the OnOff's happen to lose the battle and you want to shift the heads... :telephone:

[quote name='MizzyMan' timestamp='1364076216' post='6673973']
Love that design. That's a wide sole, huh? Much wider than the Miz. And satin ALWAYS looks better than chrome IMO. Enjoy!
[/quote]

I can't get on board with the satin opinion, but you're def right about those soles. They look much more forgiving than the 64's in that respect. Man the more I look at these, the more I want to give them a shot.

Ping K15 :: Graff PL Red @ 43.5"
Titleist 910f :: 15*
TaylorMade 09 Rescue 3 :: 19*
MP-59 4i-PW : 2flat : -.5" : s300
Callaway X-Forged 54/12 & 60/10
Odyssey White Hot XG #1:: Salty Grip

[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1364253030' post='6693159']
After the Epon's that I constantly lust over (RF551's), these are next in line as the most gorgeous set out there.

My apologies if I missed it in the thread, did you stick with the stock Nippon 950's or go for something else?

Morebetterbettergolf: If the OnOff's happen to lose the battle and you want to shift the heads... :telephone:
[/quote]

No problem, but I don't anticipate getting rid of them any time soon.

Be careful bending these guys, they are so soft they mark up easily, make sure your builder is aware and can take precautions.

These aren't terribly expensive club heads particularly for JDM. I think they could get quite popular stateside. And rightfully so.

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1364257704' post='6693801']
PS I am jealous of the 50 degree weather, this is out my kitchen window this morning...

[attachment=1602825:IMG_3224.JPG]
[/quote]

Damn...that photo has a way of putting everything in perspective Matt. And, thanks for the tip on bending them.

[quote name='ChrisBouriat' timestamp='1364253506' post='6693231']
[quote name='MizzyMan' timestamp='1364076216' post='6673973']
Love that design. That's a wide sole, huh? Much wider than the Miz. And satin ALWAYS looks better than chrome IMO. Enjoy!
[/quote]

I can't get on board with the satin opinion, but you're def right about those soles. They look much more forgiving than the 64's in that respect. Man the more I look at these, the more I want to give them a shot.
[/quote]

Give Mike a call at [url="http://www.easterngolfonline.com/"]http://www.easterngolfonline.com/[/url]. He can hook you up with a demo or 2. You won't be sorry you did.

[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1364253030' post='6693159']

[/quote]

Sticking with the Nippons only for the time being. Potentially will replace with either Recoils or Steelfibers.

[quote name='Bravo36' timestamp='1364264898' post='6694893']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1364253591' post='6693243']
Those are beautiful irons.

ps: I wouldn't keep them in my garage. :-)
[/quote]

Don't worry, my garage is insulated and built like Ft. Knox.
[/quote]

Ha! I'm happy to hear you're treating them well. By the way, I like the Nippon shafts. I'll be interested to hear whether you go with the Recoils or SteelFibers. I'm 57 myself and play graphite shafts. My elbows really appreciate it.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1364265619' post='6695019']
[quote name='Bravo36' timestamp='1364264898' post='6694893']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1364253591' post='6693243']
Those are beautiful irons.

ps: I wouldn't keep them in my garage. :-)
[/quote]

Don't worry, my garage is insulated and built like Ft. Knox.
[/quote]

Ha! I'm happy to hear you're treating them well. By the way, I like the Nippon shafts. I'll be interested to hear whether you go with the Recoils or SteelFibers. I'm 57 myself and play graphite shafts. My elbows really appreciate it.
[/quote]

Same here Sean. Yeah, I've been fighting left elbow tendonitis for the better part of a year, and putting graphite shafts in my irons has helped significantly. Although I do like the Nippons, I may eventually be forced to replace them.

[quote name='Bravo36' timestamp='1364269584' post='6695521']
Same here Sean. Yeah, I've been fighting left elbow tendonitis for the better part of a year, and putting graphite shafts in my irons has helped significantly. Althought I also like the Nippons, I may eventually be forced to replace them.
[/quote]

Good luck with the tendonitis Bravo. And, enjoy the OnOff's :-)

Seriously if the 950s work for you, roll with them. They are very very good shafts. I know for me they would launch way too high especially with these heads, but if your launch seems legit, honest to God I wouldn't change them. I had them in my Yururi wedges and swapped them to Recoils to match my irons but I didn't gain any accuracy just distance and a similar feel to the iron shafts.

I let a Korean pro hit these at the place I go play simulated golf and I thought he was going to have an aneurysm from his reaction to their feel.

[quote name='Bravo36' timestamp='1364264739' post='6694871']
Give Mike a call at [url="http://www.easterngolfonline.com/"]http://www.easterngolfonline.com/[/url]. He can hook you up with a demo or 2. You won't be sorry you did.
[/quote]

Cheers for putting the link out there. I might have to see what can be finagled.

[quote name='morebeerbettergolf' timestamp='1364359657' post='6704401']
Seriously if the 950s work for you, roll with them. They are very very good shafts. I know for me they would launch way too high especially with these heads, but if your launch seems legit, honest to God I wouldn't change them. I had them in my Yururi wedges and swapped them to Recoils to match my irons but I didn't gain any accuracy just distance and a similar feel to the iron shafts.

I let a Korean pro hit these at the place I go play simulated golf and I thought he was going to have an aneurysm from his reaction to their feel.
[/quote]

Did you spend any time with the '11 version of these? Just curious if there's an appriciable difference between the two years.

Agreed with MBBG. Eastern sent me demos of both the 2013s, and the 2011s. I hit both equally well to be honest. In addition to what he wrote above, I also think the 2013 models have a little more weight lower, aka, the double diamond design on the back vs. the single diamond on the 2011s. Also the laser etched faces are not on the 2011s. They both felt wonderful, but I thought the 2013 model was just a smidgeon better feel wise, and distance wise, but the difference was not significant. I believe the 2011 model can also be had for a decent savings over the 2013.

I just ordered a Tourstage X Drive 460P 9.5* with an S flex GD Tour AD Quattrotech shaft. A great deal for $161 shipped.

I'll have it in two weeks.

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 5-wood 18*, Ventus Blue 50 A
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

[quote name='rgk5' timestamp='1364693418' post='6728255']
I just ordered a Tourstage X Drive 460P 9.5* with an S flex GD Tour AD Quattrotech shaft. A great deal for $161 shipped.

I'll have it in two weeks.
[/quote]

That is beyond a great deal. I bought that exact driver and shaft combo new when it came out.. [b]If[/b] I remember correctly
the P was fade bias??

[quote name='Bravo36' timestamp='1364067662' post='6672889']
Wow. Never expected this, but there's lots of junk showing up in several of the forums lately that I never expected. Clearly, [b]topekareal[/b], you are anti-anythingJDM. I don;t have a problem with that, so neither should you that this is a chioce that I, a 57 yr. old man, can clearly make on his own volition, without consulting you first. You don't like the idea of JDM, and you are entitled to your opinion. I get that. What I don't get is why you keep choosing to come back here and stink up my topic.

Sorry you feel this way, but I think this BS has gone on long enough. If you'd like, I'd be happy to create your own "I hate JDM, and Why" thread and let you have at it.

No sir, you have not dampened my enthusiam one little bit, but you did your best to try and sour this thread. Still not sure why exactly, but, whatever. If you have a sore spot for someone in particular,, that is what the PM function is for.

Please move along, and in return, I promise NOT to do the same to one of your topics.

On a happier note, I received the irons today and will furnish some pics later today. But right now, I'm itching for a range session...weather permitting.
[/quote]

here here i say ...!

owari !

[quote name='Bravo36' timestamp='1364250769' post='6692799']
Thought I'd post a better photo of the irons before their first trip to the range today. Finally warmed up to 50* and the wind dropped to 15-20. Man, it's been howling here the last couple of days. Anyway, for those that are curious, the range session went VERY WELL! These babies are just a pleasure to hit. Ultra soft feel and just the right amount of forgiveness I've been looking for I love how they setup at address and move through the turf. Very nice ball flight. Not sure, but I'm probably gonna re-shaft these with either the Recoils or Steelfibers. Have a couple different sets now with one of each, and I like them both.

Anyway, enjoy the new pic. I can't say enough good things about the irons. I'm very pleased with the purchase.
[/quote]

Just checking in to see how they're treating you.

Find myself coming back just to stare at them.

idrive, I was doing my best to keep you from the temptation that is haunting you.

But, [b]since you asked[/b], I will tell you that these are the softest, purest, straightest irons I have ever hit! I simply cannot get enough of these. They not only look lovely and sit up just right to my eye, but they are long! I haven't even tweaked the shafts yet. I can't put them down long enough to get them re-shafted. It's almost scary to think what these may do, and how they will feel with a set of Recoils in them, but that's where I'm leaning I think.

I have 3 rounds under my belt with them, and all three of them were inside my hc, barely, but inside. 2 of the days the wind here in North Texas was howling 20-30 mph. So, in short, I trust them, my confidence is up with them, and I have received several comments on their appearance, though nobody here recognizes the name. They are just a pleasure to hit.

If you haven't already, give Mike at Eastern Golf a shout for a couple of demos. But, if you do, don't blame me if you find yourself reaching for your wallet at the end. :rofl:

[quote name='tsupo' timestamp='1364798703' post='6735027']
[quote name='Bravo36' timestamp='1364067662' post='6672889']
Wow. Never expected this, but there's lots of junk showing up in several of the forums lately that I never expected. Clearly, [b]topekareal[/b], you are anti-anythingJDM. I don;t have a problem with that, so neither should you that this is a chioce that I, a 57 yr. old man, can clearly make on his own volition, without consulting you first. You don't like the idea of JDM, and you are entitled to your opinion. I get that. What I don't get is why you keep choosing to come back here and stink up my topic.

Sorry you feel this way, but I think this BS has gone on long enough. If you'd like, I'd be happy to create your own "I hate JDM, and Why" thread and let you have at it.

No sir, you have not dampened my enthusiam one little bit, but you did your best to try and sour this thread. Still not sure why exactly, but, whatever. If you have a sore spot for someone in particular,, that is what the PM function is for.

Please move along, and in return, I promise NOT to do the same to one of your topics.

On a happier note, I received the irons today and will furnish some pics later today. But right now, I'm itching for a range session...weather permitting.
[/quote]

here here i say ...!
[/quote]

Yeah, sorry about that, it just got to the point where I'd had enough, and probably went a little overboard trying to get a point across.