The Arm Swing Illusion / Jim Waldron's Swing Philosophy

Kiwi2

[quote name='cyr67' timestamp='1423750622' post='10937803']
Awesome thread! Quick question to JIm or anyone who swings correctly: On the take-away, what should the club head 'appear' to be doing visually going back away from the ball. I have a (bad) habit of looking at the club head as a reference point in the takeaway. I know this is probably part of the illusion, but I was wondering. (Apologies if this has been addressed on the forum already, but it is 86 pages long!)
[/quote]

Depends on the point of view of the person watching, no? From golfer first person perspective, if watching in slow motion, the clubhead tracks back inside the target line in a very shallow arc from the start of takeaway until the shaft ends up directly over the toe line, at waist height, parallel to ground.

[quote name='Reasonability' timestamp='1423711323' post='10936113']
[quote name='Kiwi2' timestamp='1423696550' post='10934261']
Jim talks about good golf being mostly a "right brained, intuitive, athletic , feel base, artistic endeavor." Whilst agreeing that the only thing that matters scientifically in creating ball flight is impact , he argues that a lot of things must happen well before impact with the body and club motion for it to be correct.

So, although the basic premise of traditional teaching may be to to use negative ball flight as the focus of a lesson is that logical? Is concentrating on it too many steps advanced in learning a sound swing motion?

Should instruction, for those seeking lasting long term improvement, be fundamental rather than corrective focussed?

Maybe understanding the Arm Swing Illusion is a necessary key part of that.
[/quote]

Introspection seems like it can be as illusive as the arm swing (IMO) my good friend. Are we golfers 'fixing' our slices? Do we want a the quickest "fix"? We humans tend to seek instant gratification.

So. a garden variety slice can be "fixed" to some extent with a grip change. In 30 minutes an instructor can have a golfer convinced he is "cured". And for a little while - he is.

Do we golfers simply accept our tendencies and prefer to "fix" our issues with new/better/adjustable clubs? Many do. And for a while - that seems to make things a little better.

OR....

Are we willing to be efficient. Are we willing to find the connective tissues from our grip, setup, physical motions, mental, and emotional preparedness?. Are we willing to take that longer path and move concepts into action? Can we accept that ironically doing so makes things more simple?

ASI (to me) is part of ALL of the above. BY ITSELF is affords a bit of a quick fix. Although I believe what has been written here - at first its probably not grasped by many initially. Also from what I understand - ASI is far from representing ALL of these connective tissues? Am I in the ballpark with that?

If so then the answer to your question becomes YES - We are talking about a pathway to lasting improvement. ASI seems to be a doorway and a roadmap to an otherwise very confusing maze.

If I've over or understated it - please feel free to tune up my perceptions. I can be wrong on the way to being a little more right - LOL.
[/quote]

In the Big Picture, I think of the ASI as the start of being able to see the golf swing as three-dimensional in space, ie seeing through the many 2D illusions. That alone can often be a very significant breakthrough to better ballstriking. It opens many new doors. The syhnchronization of arms with the pivot is the key.

Swing corrective instruction can be very effective in the short term, enough to boost ones confidence, but will often not last into the long term if not supplemented with fundamental changes.

[quote name='Jim Waldron' timestamp='1423763400' post='10939289']
[quote name='4pillars' timestamp='1423730717' post='10937101']
Where's the Ebook?

I listened to the Golfsmarter pod cast and it said it should be out in a week. Actaully it was supposed to be out last year.

If the Golfsmarter guy did everything that he was told by his guests he would be scratch by know.
[/quote]

E-book has been available in PDF format since mid-December. We are finishing up the formating for the E-Pub version, should be up as a download on our site in about a week.
[/quote]

There is nothing I can find on your web site to say there is a PDF version

This is all it says

[b] [size=6]Pro[/size] Shop[/b]
[color=#383838][size=3]

[url="http://www.balancepointgolf.com/index.php/pro-shop/91-golf-training-manuals-books"][size=5]Training[/size] Manuals[/url][/size][/color]

[i][right]

Our newly updated golf school training manuals are now for sale to the general public. These manuals make a wonderful gift for the passionate golfer.
[color=#6D221D][size=2][b]Great Shot! Mastering the Craft of Ball Striking[/b][/size][/color]
[indent=1] 170 pages - $85 plus $15 shipping/handling
[/indent]
[color=#6D221D][size=2][b]Short Game: Mastering the Art of Scoring[/b][/size][/color]
[indent=1] 50 pages - $35 plus $8 shipping/handling[/indent][/right][/i]

[quote name='4pillars' timestamp='1423764204' post='10939383']
Where's the Ebook?

I listened to the Golfsmarter pod cast and it said it should be out in a week. Actaully it was supposed to be out last year.

If the Golfsmarter guy did everything that he was told by his guests he would be scratch by know.
[/quote]

E-book has been available in PDF format since mid-December. We are finishing up the formating for the E-Pub version, should be up as a download on our site in about a week.
[/quote]

There is nothing I can find on your web site to say there is a PDF version

This is all it says

[b] [size=6]Pro[/size] Shop[/b]

[color=#383838][size=3][url="http://www.balancepointgolf.com/index.php/pro-shop/91-golf-training-manuals-books"][size=5]Training[/size] Manuals[/url][/size][/color]

[right]

[i]Our newly updated golf school training manuals are now for sale to the general public. These manuals make a wonderful gift for the passionate golfer.
[color=#6D221D][size=2][b]Great Shot! Mastering the Craft of Ball Striking[/b][/size][/color][/i][/right]
[indent=1][i]170 pages - $85 plus $15 shipping/handling[/i][/indent]
[i][color=#6D221D][size=2][b]Short Game: Mastering the Art of Scoring[/b][/size][/color][/i]

[indent=1][i]50 pages - $35 plus $8 shipping/handling[/i][/indent]

[/quote]

Just call the office phone or email with a your contact number to order the PDF version. We expect almost 100% will prefer the E-Pub version since it will play on any device, including your phone.

[quote name='Jim Waldron' timestamp='1423763555' post='10939297']
Awesome thread! Quick question to JIm or anyone who swings correctly: On the take-away, what should the club head 'appear' to be doing visually going back away from the ball. I have a (bad) habit of looking at the club head as a reference point in the takeaway. I know this is probably part of the illusion, but I was wondering. (Apologies if this has been addressed on the forum already, but it is 86 pages long!)
[/quote]

Depends on the point of view of the person watching, no? From golfer first person perspective, if watching in slow motion, the clubhead tracks back inside the target line in a very shallow arc from the start of takeaway until the shaft ends up directly over the toe line, at waist height, parallel to ground.
[/quote]

Thanks. Yes, I meant from the perspective of what you, (as the golfer) sees. Could this visual also be accomplished incorrectly though, by actually independently 'swinging' the arms horizontally. I can get the club head and shaft into that position without a shoulder turn, which is incorrect, no?

[quote name='cyr67' timestamp='1423778639' post='10941177']
[quote name='Jim Waldron' timestamp='1423763555' post='10939297']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thanks. Yes, I meant from the perspective of what you, (as the golfer) sees. Could this visual also be accomplished incorrectly though, by actually independently 'swinging' the arms horizontally. I can get the club head and shaft into that position without a shoulder turn, which is incorrect, no?
[/quote]

Yes, good insight there. The clubhead can make the correct arc without any pivot. Problem is you need a pivot to play any golf shot other than a very short chip shot, where you can indeed zero out the pivot and use a sideways arm motion only.

Good views of Jason Day showing clearly how his club stays in front of his shirt button on the takeaway.

Not sure he pushes his club out at the start though.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cajtJHmEw3A"]http://www.youtube....h?v=cajtJHmEw3A[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cajtJHmEw3A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cajtJHmEw3A[/url]

[quote name='4pillars' timestamp='1424102401' post='10963407']
Good views of Jason Day showing clearly how his club stays in front of his shirt button on the takeaway.

Not sure he pushes his club out at the start though.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cajtJHmEw3A"]http://www.youtube....h?v=cajtJHmEw3A[/url]

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cajtJHmEw3A[/media]
[/quote]

He does the pushaway. If he froze his arms at end of takeaway and then rotated his torso back to his starting position, you would see it. Hard to tell with precision exactly how much pushaway since some of the arms from the body space that is created is due to Pivot momentum, but likely at least 6 inches or so. The guys on tour who take it back on plane or a bit outside are pushing away.

Remember - the push away is hands in front of the chest, on the 45 degree angle to the right. And this is happening at the same time as core and torso rotation, and left side bend. NOT statically as an isolated motion toward the target line, which is how most newbie to the concept incorrectly interpret it.

I saw this cool swing view of Patrick Reed wearing a gopro chest mounted camera while playing #16 at TPC Scottsdale. I decided to snag some screen shots and put together a sequence with it. I thought it was a fun view to see the ASI. The video is here if you wish to watch it. The swing starts at 40 seconds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDHZw-QNMNU
[attachment=2625605:P_Reed_sequence1.jpg]
[attachment=2625607:P_Reed_sequence2.jpg]
[attachment=2625609:P_Reed_sequence3.jpg]

[quote name='pappaf2' timestamp='1424374509' post='10986407']
I saw this cool swing view of Patrick Reed wearing a gopro chest mounted camera while playing #16 at TPC Scottsdale. I decided to snag some screen shots and put together a sequence with it. I thought it was a fun view to see the ASI. The video is here if you wish to watch it. The swing starts at 40 seconds: [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDHZw-QNMNU"]https://www.youtube....h?v=yDHZw-QNMNU[/url]
[attachment=2625605:P_Reed_sequence1.jpg]
[attachment=2625607:P_Reed_sequence2.jpg]
[attachment=2625609:P_Reed_sequence3.jpg]
[/quote]

Thanks for that video, P! Really cool and clearly shows what is really happening, ie allows the viewer to see through the Illusion. In the third photo you can see the 45 degree arm pushaway angle. If you use some of the folks in the background at the start - first photo- you can get a sense of where his sternum is pointing in all of the photos. I think it bears repeating that the camera is mounted on his chest - NOT his head/face. So you are seeing what his hands/arms are actually doing as his chest is rotating.

Jim

In your model swing what angle should the right upper arm be at the top of the backswing ? I mean the angle from 2d perspective looking from the chest . I'm guessing it's a combination of elevation and external rotation to get the 45* push away 8" movement but I was interested to hear your thoughts on the ideal upper right arm position

I have been playing around with the triangle pressures this week with great success as really firmed up my transition and helped my pitching. Specifically internal arm pressures, as if I'm trying to keep my right elbow closer to my left arm going back. I can see how excessive external rotation of right shoulder joint can be a pressure release. I guess hogan was on to something with his bound arms illustration , feels like the same kind of thing, anyway new feel for me, interested to hear your opinion

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

[quote name='mizunostaffer' timestamp='1424591614' post='11002451']
Jim

In your model swing what angle should the right upper arm be at the top of the backswing ? I mean the angle from 2d perspective looking from the chest . I'm guessing it's a combination of elevation and external rotation to get the 45* push away 8" movement but I was interested to hear your thoughts on the ideal upper right arm position

I have been playing around with the triangle pressures this week with great success as really firmed up my transition and helped my pitching. Specifically internal arm pressures, as if I'm trying to keep my right elbow closer to my left arm going back. I can see how excessive external rotation of right shoulder joint can be a pressure release. I guess hogan was on to something with his bound arms illustration , feels like the same kind of thing, anyway new feel for me, interested to hear your opinion
[/quote]

More likely internal rotation of the right shoulder will create a pressure leak, along with right elbow moving away from left elbow.

Top position depends on the club as far as angle to shoulder girdle - max of 75 degree angle with driver, 70 is about ideal. Some of these depends on the individual golfer's flexibility and build though, not everyone can match the model. Right arm angle is hard to see due to bend in right elbow, ie hard to see from 2D perspective. Better to use the straight left arm instead. Yes - the arm (both arms) become elevated a little independently of the pivot when the right arm bends, NOT lifting the arms up toward the sky as how most golfers do it. If you pushaway on the 45 angle, the pushaway and the pivot momentum combine to cause your right elbow to fold, which causes the arms - especially left arm - to elevate. The arm elevation/right elbow bend dynamic should stop just as or slightly before full shoulder coil is achieved, ie good arm/pivot synch. Second half of backswing there is some external rotation of the right arm (left arm internal) which will flatten the shaft a bit (along with finishing wrist c0ck by time left arm is parallel to ground) kind of a "cranking motion" with the right arm as the elbow folds.

Right elbow should be six to ten inches from rib cage, depending on your height, arm length, etc. at Top.

The 4-8 inch pushaway happens during takeaway - not second half of backswing, ie your reference to the Top position.

Bottom line is when learning this stuff it is MUCH less independent arm motion than most golfers think. Feels like hardly any at all when first learning it. Feels like mostly pivot and with a straighter right arm for longer, and very,very short and compact. Those weird feelings - the Twilight Zone of golf - is why almost no one figures this stuff out experimenting alone on the range hitting balls. Common sense tells you weird feelings equates to wrong mechanics.

[quote name='Jim Waldron' timestamp='1424633204' post='11004633']
[quote name='mizunostaffer' timestamp='1424591614' post='11002451']
Jim

[/quote]

More likely internal rotation of the right shoulder will create a pressure leak, along with right elbow moving away from left elbow.

Top position depends on the club as far as angle to shoulder girdle - max of 75 degree angle with driver, 70 is about ideal. Some of these depends on the individual golfer's flexibility and build though, not everyone can match the model. Right arm angle is hard to see due to bend in right elbow, ie hard to see from 2D perspective. Better to use the straight left arm instead. Yes - the arm (both arms) become elevated a little independently of the pivot when the right arm bends, NOT lifting the arms up toward the sky as how most golfers do it. If you pushaway on the 45 angle, the pushaway and the pivot momentum combine to cause your right elbow to fold, which causes the arms - especially left arm - to elevate. The arm elevation/right elbow bend dynamic should stop just as or slightly before full shoulder coil is achieved, ie good arm/pivot synch. Second half of backswing there is some external rotation of the right arm (left arm internal) which will flatten the shaft a bit (along with finishing wrist c0ck by time left arm is parallel to ground) kind of a "cranking motion" with the right arm as the elbow folds.

Right elbow should be six to ten inches from rib cage, depending on your height, arm length, etc. at Top.

The 4-8 inch pushaway happens during takeaway - not second half of backswing, ie your reference to the Top position.

Bottom line is when learning this stuff it is MUCH less independent arm motion than most golfers think. Feels like hardly any at all when first learning it. Feels like mostly pivot and with a straighter right arm for longer, and very,very short and compact. Those weird feelings - the Twilight Zone of golf - is why almost no one figures this stuff out experimenting alone on the range hitting balls. Common sense tells you weird feelings equates to wrong mechanics.
[/quote]

Thanks Jim

As usual a detailed reply, much appreciated

Do you have a preference on left arm vs shoulder plane at the top? Would above the shoulder plane be incorrect application of the push away?

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

Got the ebook version of Great Shot and been reading it over the weekend.

I normally read a Golf book first pass in a couple of hours (ie anything co written by Matthew Ruddy) but here I have barely scratched the surface.

Very detailed book and very well written (something I know from my own efforts is very hard to achieve),

Obviously, goes over in detail a lot of what is in this thread plus more on various drills, but this thread is so large now that it will take ages to go through it.

Also some interesting essays on things like the swing plane.

If anything there may be too much info in it.

Look forward to the DVDs

[quote name='grizztrax' timestamp='1424701539' post='11009823']
You don't have to read through all 90 pages, but you will get everything you need in the first 15. Just start at the beginning, you will be hooked in no time. :)
[/quote][quote name='grizztrax' timestamp='1424701539' post='11009823']
You don't have to read through all 90 pages, but you will get everything you need in the first 15. Just start at the beginning, you will be hooked in no time. :)
[/quote]

This , just read the first 15 or so. All the info is there. Any attempt to distill it down will inevitably bring about follow up questiosns that have already been answered. What's the point of going through that exercise when the info has already been posted?

[quote name='4pillars' timestamp='1424678456' post='11009071']
Got the ebook version of Great Shot and been reading it over the weekend.

I normally read a Golf book first pass in a couple of hours (ie anything co written by Matthew Ruddy) but here I have barely scratched the surface.

Very detailed book and very well written (something I know from my own efforts is very hard to achieve),

Obviously, goes over in detail a lot of what is in this thread plus more on various drills, but this thread is so large now that it will take ages to go through it.

Also some interesting essays on things like the swing plane.

If anything there may be too much info in it.

Look forward to the DVDs
[/quote]

Glad you liked it! There is a ton of info in it, it is meant to be a "bible" on golf swing theory as well as the psychology of how to learn and how to practice effectively. Information that covers every single aspect of the golf swing from grip and setup elements, to balance and tempo, and of course the bulk of the manual is on moving body parts mechanics, the stuff that most folks really struggle with mastering. Kind of a resource book that you can use as a guide in your own personal journey to better ballstriking.

Where's the Ebook?

[/quote]

[/quote]

What is the name of your new Ebook? ETA for E-Pub version?

[quote name='Bobalu' timestamp='1424728261' post='11013035']
Where's the Ebook?

[/quote]

[/quote]

What is the name of your new Ebook? ETA for E-Pub version?

[/quote]

Great Shot - its not new, just the Epub version

Its on Jim's site [url="http://www.balancepointgolf.com/"]http://www.balancepointgolf.com/[/url] under Pro shop. Its Epub

Bobalu if you go to Jim's website and the pro shop the epub version is there now.

If you click on the Great Shot! E-Book (Epub) icon a brief description will come up.

The name of the ebook is

Balance Point Golf Schools
Great Shot!
Training Manual

4Pillars. It is a new edition. There is additional material to the previous version but is the same as the PDF.

[quote name='Kiwi2' timestamp='1424732295' post='11013511']
Bobalu if you go to Jim's website and the pro shop the epub version is there now.

If you click on the Great Shot! E-Book (Epub) icon a brief description will come up.

The name of the ebook is

Great Shot!
Training Manual

4Pillars. It is a new edition. There is additional material to the previous version but is the same as the PDF.
[/quote]

Why does the Ebook state 4th Edition 2012?

[quote name='Bobalu' timestamp='1424738009' post='11014167']
[quote name='Kiwi2' timestamp='1424732295' post='11013511']

The name of the ebook is

Great Shot!
Training Manual

[/quote]

Why does the Ebook state 4th Edition 2012?
[/quote]

Jim left that as is.

Technically, according to a publisher downunder, a new edition has 25% new content. I should have said new version.

There is new and changed content. It is not the same as the pre ebook version.

Got the Great Shot! Epub book yesterday. Wow! Here are a few tips for you guys ordering.

On the Balance Point website checkout page, you'll see it defaults to Paypal, even though it says you can pay with a credit card. You use your credit card (if you want) *through* Paypal's portal. In other words, you don't *have* to have a Paypal account to get this ebook. Just proceed to checkout through Paypal and pick your payment option there, Paypal or credit card.

The download link for the e-book comes on the payment receipt you receive via email. You'll see a weblink for "Great Shoot" (still debugging early on) . . . just click on it and the download will commence. File is 1mb.

I like using Kindle's reader, so I downloaded Calibre (its free) and used it to convert the Epub file into a .mobi file that works on my Kindle. Calibre works pretty well as an Epub reader, too. This link guided me through the conversion.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-read-epub-files-on-your-kindle/

And...the book? Incredible. For the price of a lesson with a range pro (and one or two temporary 'swing tips' to show for it) you get this 100-pound haybale of detailed, well-written and organized golf GOLD dropped in your lap. From there, it's just how willing you are to EARN great ball-striking.

[quote name='mc3jack' timestamp='1424978641' post='11033955']
Got the Great Shot! Epub book yesterday. Wow! Here are a few tips for you guys ordering.

On the Balance Point website checkout page, you'll see it defaults to Paypal, even though it says you can pay with a credit card. You use your credit card (if you want) *through* Paypal's portal. In other words, you don't *have* to have a Paypal account to get this ebook. Just proceed to checkout through Paypal and pick your payment option there, Paypal or credit card.

The download link for the e-book comes on the payment receipt you receive via email. You'll see a weblink for "Great Shoot" (still debugging early on) . . . just click on it and the download will commence. File is 1mb.

I like using Kindle's reader, so I downloaded Calibre (its free) and used it to convert the Epub file into a .mobi file that works on my Kindle. Calibre works pretty well as an Epub reader, too. This link guided me through the conversion.

[url="http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-read-epub-files-on-your-kindle/"]http://www.cnet.com/...on-your-kindle/[/url]

And...the book? Incredible. For the price of a lesson with a range pro (and one or two temporary 'swing tips' to show for it) you get this 100-pound haybale of detailed, well-written and organized golf GOLD dropped in your lap. From there, it's just how willing you are to EARN great ball-striking.
[/quote]

Same here - you can highlight on Kindle and not on calibre

Jim, Kiwi, I would like to thank you for your time on this thread. I have read every page now (all 2589 posts - the trolls) and found it very interesting. Interesting enough that I just bought your book. This is really the first time I have ever given much thought of what goes on in the golf swing. What you have said makes so much sense. In six weeks or so when I come out of hibernation I have every intent of applying your methods. Thanks again for your time, effort, and in particular your patience. I am afraid I would have walked away from the trolls and the hijackers.

Calibre's OK for me to use as a cut-and-paste source . . . I'm an old-school copy editor . . . I'm extracting parts I want to work on and using ONLY THOSE in my practice sessions. Always have to guard against my tendency to get 'creative' when I'm in golf mode. . . .

Upon review of my post, I should mention that I've never had a lesson from Mr. Waldron, nor have any motivation to promote the Great Shot! manual other than a sense of gratitude for the past few months I've enjoyed being immersed in the Waldronology I've been gleaning for free from his 'net comments here and at Lag Erickson's thread.